University of Colorado Boulder Top Questions

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

Alexandra

CU has a wide variety of sports teams ranging from football to basketball to hockey to soccer to lacrosse. In addition we have many club and intramural teams that are for men, women, and coed. Attendance at football and basketball games is most common, but I've never seen empty stands at any of the smaller or less represented sports. CU students are very spirited and proud of our teams. Right now we have a very successful basketball team and a football team that is on the rise. We just recently joined the PAC 12 conference, which has been exciting because we have been able to play a whole new set of teams. Students and alumni alike travel to support the teams and game days are just another excuse to party with your fellow students.

Even if you don't play any sports yourself, the sporting events are always very popular and fun to attend. The school has a very supportive spirit towards its teams. Game tickets or season passes to football and basketball are affordable for students and many other sports are free to attend. There is tailgating and alumni events before games.

Madisen

Coming from a tiny high school with no football team, I was in for the time of my life when I got to CU Boulder my freshman year. The sports scene is so great on campus. First, you have the NCAA games to go watch. We recently moved into the PAC-12 division. I was so happy about this because Colorado is playing a bunch of teams from California that I know since I am originally from there. Even though our football team hasn't been succeeding in to many games this season, it is still just as fun to go watch. Our Folsom football stadium seats over 55,000 people. The student tickets are such a good price and the section that CU seats the students are really prime seats. Usually colleges put the students in the worst sections.... not here at CU! If you have read my other reviews, I talk a bunch about our live mascot Ralphie the buffalo! the crowd goes wild when she runs around the field! Our other NCAA teams are also a bunch of fun to watch. For example, our CU mens basketball team has not lost a game yet this season! Even if you don't like to watch sports, I still recommend you buy student tickets because it will still be fun because of all the school spirit CU Boulder has! Second, there are club sports offered here at CU. these teams your still have to try out for but it is not as intense as the NCAA teams. If you get on one of the club teams, you will practice every week, and travel around the U.S playing other college club teams. Our mens club soccer team were national champions last year! Third and lastly, CU Boulder has tons of intramural sports. From soccer, to basketball, to broom-ball and ultimate frisbee, you will find a sport to play! Intramural sports is a great way to get out in the CU community and be active and meet new people. Its less than 10 dollars per person to start a team. You will practice once a week and have a game usually once a week. Its really fun!

Alissa

Sports are a prominent part of campus life, and the spectator games (such as football and basketball) are usually filled with thousands of Buff fans. There are also less competitive sports to join (intermurals) if anyone wants to learn a new sport or make new friends. The equestrian team is also a great place for both competitive people and beginners.

Katie

The sports scene on campus I wouldn't say is huge. Don't get me wrong, we have a ton of amazing athletes who attend our school and everyone gets excited when there are games, however the athletes have very different schedules that than most students. There schedules are oriented around practice time and conditioning and so often times the only trace of athletes you see are the colorado nike gear they are constantly wearing. Being a communication major, I usually meet a lot of the student athletes and they are great people, but usually come to class tired from the extensive training they are constantly in or are never in class because they are traveling with their team. Furthermore, the school is so big that unless you stalk the athletic site rosters or know players personally, you probably won't meet them because they are not part of the weekend social scenes, due to sports regulations.

Katie

Abby

Abby