University of Colorado Boulder Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Colorado Boulder

Kelsey

I love the University of Colorado Boulder. There is a wide variety of activities to do whether it be greek life, art clubs, ski clubs, etc. there is something for everyone to do. The academics challenge students the right amount and professors are always available for extra help. The campus is gorgeous and waking up with a view of the flatirons is breathtaking.

Anissa

The University of Colorado Boulder is honestly my home away from home. Coming here was a big step for me but I honestly wouldn't change colleges for anything because of how amazing the school is. It's the best place to get both an education while still being able to have a social life. Alongside that there are tons of opportunities provided by the college that make the cost of tuition completely worth it.

Alyis

The administration could use a huge overhaul. However, the professor's, in my single semester at CU as a Junior, have been great. The housing is way to expensive. It is outrageous, actually. This is the one are CU Boulder could really work to improve. The major options, campus, and overall culture is friendly and liberal.

TERESA

Although there are several cultural and racial groups, it is still very white-washed and lack diversity. People assume that if you live in Boulder, you are rich, so several people are not always self-aware. There is a frequent use of weed and other types of drugs on campus, and the party scenes tend to happen every weekend. The school does a terrible job of promoting all their different resources and continues to increase rent and fees annually. They fail to uphold its "environmental activist" image within the campus and design some exams so the majority fail at least one exam. As for meeting new people, it is difficult to connect with others because of the racial and cultural differences. Overall, Boulder loves to separate into cliques and mainly sticks to their majors and specific colleges, creating a somewhat shallow campus culture.

Leighanne

I really like going to school here. I am pretty active in my community. I am an RA, a member of the Presidents Leadership Class, and I love going to school here. It isn't super hard to find your niche at CU, and if you can't, there is always someone to help you find it. One of the things that I like most about CU is that there is a wide variety of things to do at all times. If you are a substance free person, we have tons of programs and a super chill office to hang out in. If you do like the party scene, you can find it if you want to. If you are here for academics, it is easy to shut yourself off from extracurriculars and partying. If you want to get involved, there are TONS of opportunities, and I often find it hard to say no to doing all of them. Overall, I really love going to CU, and I hope that my experience here can help further make the university a better place.

Kaylah

I love the University of Colorado Boulder. A Colorado native myself, I'm always feeling close to home. The campus is beautiful and the town is catered to people who love getting out, exercising and engaging in conversation. The shopping scene is nice, the mountain view is even better. I drinking and drug scene is very prevalent. I'm very grateful to be studying something I love (molecular, cellular and developmental biology) with people I love in a city that I love.

DYLAN

The most amazing place to go to school if you can afford it.

Ryan

CU Boulder is a big school, but you can make it feel as big or as small as you would like by partaking in the activities that you are most interested in. The school has done a really good job at providing all the necessary components for a student to not only succeed, but to thrive. However, it is almost completely up to the student to utilize these resources.

Kate

It was a good school, and I have a good education now. A bit more career counseling would have been nice.

Benjamin

Boulder is an absolutely beautiful campus with great people. There are plenty of things to do in the town and the schools provides you with an excellent education. While it can be pricey, the school tries to provide students with the access to scholarships and other financial aid options.

Dakota

The University of Colorado Boulder is an amazing college. It is full of light and opportunity. Truly a great place to experience the college life while getting the best possible education. I would say that the University of Colorado Boulder creates leaders for the world in each and every category.

A reputable research school with a lot of resources. I believe it would be a great place for graduate school in the sciences. Undergraduate classes, especially lower division, are highly packed in auditoriums. The professors and TAs are busy with research so don't put as much time into teaching as you might get a community college. The cost of living in Boulder is also very high, so student's with little parental support will likely struggle to live here. Consequently, there are many pretentious, trust-fund babies in undergrad, less so amongst grads.

Javier

CU Boulder is a top research university located in the heart of Boulder. CU has a wide variety of student societies and club and intramural sports. With a high-class recreation center and close proximity to hiking and biking trails, it is impossible to get bored. Living in Boulder is a great place to study and live.

Dominick

I appreciate the rigor of the curriculum. I like the view of the mountains from campus. The on-campus dining halls very cool. The C4C dining hall is a giant buffet and although the food's taste isn't amazing, it makes up with a large amount of variety. The dorms are small but comfortable. The only real complaint is how dirty the bathrooms are around campus.

It's a good school. Lots of people tend to focus on the "party atmosphere," but people tend to forget how amazing our Physics, Astrophysics, Aerospace, Mathematics, and Engineering departments are. I love that the school is diverse -- you can go party and get wasted, you can study all night long, or join in on a bunch of clubs and extracurriculars. And the setting is magnificent.

This school never lets me down. Adventure and excitement around every corner with a great college town embedded in the edge of the Flat Irons. The students are unique, and fun. There is a clique for every type of person. The Engineering Program and Business College are very prestigious with fantastic teachers. The courses are challenging, but the Professors help you learn everything you would need to know in your field.

Matthew

I enrolled at the University of Colorado- Boulder because it felt like home. After visiting other colleges, I understand what my college counselor meant when she said," When you tour a school, imagine yourself as a student there. You'll know when you've found the right university". CU Boulder is a place where I can develop further as a person, thanks to the rigorous academics, diverse student body, and the everyday learning moments I encounter.

Calista

CU Boulder is a college full of opportunities; and that is why I picked it. Going into freshman year, I was very lost with what I wanted to do with my life. I came in as a triple major (neuroscience, business, and studio art) because I wanted to keep my doors open. Although it was not the smartest decision, my university supported me and offered classes in all three majors that I could take. Even as a freshman, the professors cared about my success and aided me in understanding how to narrow down my selection. After my first year, I committed to a double major in neuroscience and studio art. Since then, even more opportunities have opened up to me in both my majors. In neuroscience, I took a lab course where we tested various compounds with Salmonella to test their antibiotic capabilities. At the end of the lab, I was given the opportunity to conduct my own research and present my findings at a symposium. This was such a special experience for a sophomore. In studio art, I just recently studied abroad in Florence, Italy. My university helped set up this for me. During my time there, I painted different landscapes around the city, while studying the artists of Florence, which includes Michelangelo, da Vinci, and Botticelli. It has inspired me in my painting, while also giving more clarity to the future directions I may want to pursue in art. Going to a large university can be intimidating, but it can also come with a large number of opportunities. I have learned and done more with my life in the past two years than I have done in my whole life. I am so thankful to this university for helping me develop into the person I am today, while giving me the tools to succeed in this life.

Jorge

Leilani

CU Boulder is an incredible school. There are so many opportunities to make a big school feel small - from over 450 clubs, to a overwhelming amount of outdoor activities. Students here are healthy, happy, and excited to live in the #1 college town in the nation. CU Boulder is also rated as one of the top research universities in the country, #38 on the list of best public universities in the country, and one of the top ten most sustainable campuses. Sko buffs!

Brendan

I love it. The school is a great place for academics, being social, participating in sports or clubs, greek life, or really anything else you could want to focus on. My professors have been phenomenal. They always know what they are talking about and are able to explain it in simple terms.

CU Boulder is a great place to go to school, but like every other college it has it's faults. There is a lot to do on-campus and off-campus, and the party scene is great if that's what you're into. In regards to academics, CU has amazing facilities and qualified professors and you will be challenged in your classes, but keep in mind that many of your classes may have 400 other students in them. Also, there is not much diversity on campus so be prepared for that.

Penelope

It is a great school with many opportunities but it could use more diversity and should try to help students pay for school a bit more. The school itself has great academic options and there are many places to study and get help. Overall the school is fantastic, but there are minor fixes needed to make it even better.

Tiffani

Everything has their pros and their cons and of course Boulder has its' share of them. It seems like they are a little disorganized and it is only a party school but hey, when you have over 10,00 students who are between the ages of 18-25 what do you expect? CU boulder does its' best to accommodate to everyone on campus and I truly do appreciate the hard work that CU boulder puts in to make all the students their happy and successful.

The campus is quite large with a lot of students attending. The food in the on-campus dining halls is low-quality & repetitive, and trying to find off-campus housing after your freshman year is a NIGHTMARE! But the academics and opportunities for growth make it worth it.

Paige

CU Boulder has one of the most supportive, engaging, and fun academic environments that I have seen on a college campus. Professors are always available via email and office hours, whether you are in a small 30 person class or a 200 person lecture. Advisers are also available and very helpful for mapping out your path and giving you helpful advice and tips to graduate in your desired time period. Campus culture is beautiful with a plethora of inclusive groups and clubs ranging from volunteer organizations to yoga clubs. Not to mention, the campus is beautiful and covered with plenty of trees and smiling faces. Surrounding campus, housing is readily available and there are multiple places to enjoy shopping and great food, such as The Hill and Pearl Street. Campus is also super close to the mountains so if nature is your thing, there are plenty of opportunities to go hiking or skiing and spend some time outdoors. The only downside is that, like most colleges, financial aid can be sort of stingy and there are a lot of fees for renovations happening on campus. I found that physically going to the financial aid office and sitting down with an adviser, however, is very effective for getting needed assistance. There are plenty of offices to help with any questions you may have so you will never find yourself blindly stumbling around campus. Overall, it's an amazing, life-changing place!

Claire

Because it is very big the class sizes can sometimes be too much. I also think there is a lot of encouragement towards extra things and the academics are more secondary. There is also a lack of diversity. Overall, however, the school is not bad and better than I thought it would be originally

Richardo

University of Colorado Boulder is a great school! My experience at CU Boulder will impact not only my life, but others’ lives as well. Academically and personally, I will use what I learn at this university to change society in a positive way. Being a first generation student, I feel comfortable and welcomed at this university.

Feng

it‘s beautiful

Leila

Amazing university, especially for people who are creative and love the outdoors. The academic environment is extremely inclusive and healthy, and all students feel welcome to participate and inquire. The homework isn’t too overwhelming and the teachers are usually available to provide assistance.

Aldwin

lauren

I loved going to CU. Some of the best years of my life and I got a great job when I graduated.

Quinn

I enjoy CU Boulder. I actively learn while also enjoying the subjects taught. The staff are extremely helpful and really care about my success as a student, as well as a person. Finally, the University of Colorado at Boulder is phenomenal in making a "home away from home" environment for me and many other students.

Rudi

It is a great university to get a quality education. There are world-renowned faculty teaching across all subjects, but mainly in the "hard" and "soft" sciences. It's definitely an engineering school with a heavy emphasis on all sciences. Students and local residents are very healthy, do a lot of exercise, and eat natural foods. However, off-campus housing is very pricey and students usually suffer "burnout" from having to juggle work with going to class and studying. It is a very party-oriented university, with a heavy drinking and drug influence, but people are mostly very easy-going despite that. Overall, it's a great university to attend, with a beautiful campus and the surrounding rocky mountains very close nearby.

Mikayla

The University of Colorado Boulder has been an amazing experience so far. I have been able to dive deeper into the subject I am passionate about, create friendships with people from not only across the country, but across the globe, and to truly grow as a person and know who I am and what I want from life.

Guillermo

This university is really good in the way that you are getting what you paid for. In addition, the advisors are extremely helpful. As an example, if an advisor notices that you enrolled in a course that won’t contribute to your major, they will let you know immediately and will give you suggestions of similar courses that would help you fulfill your major requirements.

Thomas

Like any school, the University of Colorado Boulder has its pros and cons. However, unlike any school, the pros of attending CU vastly outweigh the cons. Take, for instance, the landscape. Boulder lies at the foot of the Rocky Mountains and Boulder Creek cuts right through the middle of town. Climb the Flatirons or, if it's too hot out, tube down the creek to cool off. There are no limits to things to do in Boulder. The academics are outstanding as well. If you're interested in engineering, physiology, the arts, or anything in between, you'll find it at CU. Interested in outer space? CU even has a Space Minor (I would know, since I'm currently enrolled in it) and it's incredible! The football team is on #TheRise again and we have the best mascot in college sports. And with Denver only a half hour away, there's no shortage of things to do at CU!

Connie

I think University of Colorado Boulder has a lot of resources and job careers to offer to students that are not sure what they want to do after they graduate. There are also a lot of admins that are willing to help out and the regular emails about useful links/events that are sent out every day are also very helpful. Overall, CU Boulder has a lot to offer and students can really strive if they take advantages of opportunities.

Adriana

I absolutely love CU-Boulder. I was pretty apprehensive to leave home and be off on my own, but I was also excited at the same time. From the moment I arrived on campus for move-in day, I saw how nice and welcoming everyone was. I spent my first year in the dormitories, and really enjoyed it a lot. I met some great people and friends and always felt safe and comfortable. I have now moved into a campus apartment with a friend and I really like that these are available because now we have our own kitchen and more privacy. As for the academics, I couldn't be happier. My GPA has stayed high and anytime I felt like I was struggling with any class or assignment, I was able to approach my professor or fellow students and found that help was always readily available, I am so happy that I accepted at this campus and I can't imagine anyone attending here and not absolutely loving it!

Great school if you're looking to meet a lot of people and party. There's always something happening both on and off campus. Classes are challenging, but not ridiculous. There are tons of different programs and majors so everyone will find something they're interested in.

Marline

It is a great school with a huge variety. You can always find your group of people no matter what you are into. People are typically very friendly and help each other out. I have yet to really discover what the academics are like since I have just started school, but I know that CU Boulder has produced many successful people and so I hope to become one of them as well.

Rebecca

Campus is absolutely beautiful! You won't go a day without getting a great view of the mountains, and at night you can even see the stars! I'm not involved in a sorority, but people here aren't going to think any differently of you if you decide not to join. Professors usually know what they are doing. :)

Noah

CU Boulder is a big school that has many opportunities for its students to thrive. They have many great resources and facilities. It is located in the perfect college town and is close to the beautiful rocky mountains. Great social scene and even better academic life!

Angela

The campus is beautiful. The professors are generally outstanding and approachable. The academics can be grueling. Overall this has been an outstanding experience so far. I like how the physics department requires me to discuss my future semester plans with a professor each term before I can register as it gives me an idea of if I'm on track or not. Most professors have been very prompt with giving grade feedback as well.

Ethan

My sophomore view is more favorable than my freshman year. Due to my personality, I am more active and more involved than my freshman year and I'm realizing what Boulder has to offer. It's a great school. I'm still active with my NROTC unit, and my classes, but I've also found more extracurricular service opportunities that I enjoy.

Lily

Cu Boulder is a beautiful school in a beautiful city. There is so much diversity and uniqueness that you see here. Weather you are an athlete or an artist, CU has something for you. The academics and the professors are top-notch and while I am constantly challenged, I don't feel overwhelmed. Becoming a CU student means joining the Buff family and there is nowhere I would rather be.

Meg

I viewed lots of online forums about Will Vill before school because I was super nervous about living here- but after the first semester, I can easily say that I really love living in Will Vill- here's what you need to know: Yes, taking the bus can be kind of an inconvenience, but I have come to like it. Its an easy way to prepare for the day or unwind after class, you can just put in some headphones and look at the Flatirons as you drive. I would however suggest leaving 20-30 minutes before your class starts just to be safe, or even 35-40 minutes early if it has snowed a lot the day before. Also watch the schedule, because sometimes on weekends the Buff Bus doesn't start running until noon, and you may have to Uber somewhere if you need to. Also, during the evenings on finals week the Buff Bus from Williams Village will go to east campus, adding about 7 or 8 minutes to the trip. I lived in a Stearns Tower this year, and while the lobby and the hallways do seem somewhat reminiscent of the 70s, they are very comfortable and cozy. My bedroom happens to be much larger than most of my peers as it is on a corner, but the rooms are typical dorm size, and include 2 fairly sized closets, 2 dresses, 2 beds, 2 desk lamps, trash cans, a fridge, a microwave, 2 small shelves that can be stacked going over the desks, a bookshelf and a mounted mirror. The rooms in Will Vill all have AC and heating which is nice if your thermostat works. The only issue some people have had living in the towers here is that some rooms had lady bug and beetle problems at the beginning of the year, so anticipate this being a possibility. The other facilities in Will Vill are certainly sufficient- it is nice having laundry in the basement and a library on the 13th floor or the building (make use of this I literally live there). The Bear Creek Rec Center is just about all you need and while it is small in comparison to the Rec on main campus, it is a comfortable place to work out and is super close and conveniently located. As for the food, personally, I have grown pretty tired of the food at the Will Vill Grab and Go so my friends and I generally try to mix it up and eat on main at least once a week for dinner and for most lunches. Trust me, at first it seems like there are lots of food options, but these are offered over and over again and can get old fast. However, they have just completed a new dining hall here which is the newest facility on campus and so far looks really, really nice. There will be waffle makers around the clock, a smoothie bar, and new study and health facilities inside as well. Speaking of food, Will Vill organizes lots of events and group activities (like barbeques and volleyball tournaments) using always involving food that are a really nice way to mingle with other dorms in the area and make new friends. I haven't been a part of these activities as much as I would have liked to in the past, but I wish I had because I have heard that lots of people go, and they are really fun. All in all, I love living in Will Vill. I have met so many genuine, easy going people here, and it is really nice to have an escape- a place you can go back to after a stressful day on campus. It seems the only people who don't like Will Vill are the people who don't live there, and it is a really great community to be a part of regardless of your interests

Liz

I believe that the University of Colorado Boulder is a great place for students to flourish academically and extracurricularly as well. Because of the incredible student involvement in each department, there is always at least one large event per month. With such a diverse student population, events are never boring or repetitive, but rather they are varied and unique each time. By having such a diverse academic and extracurricular life, it builds well rounded students and faculty, which in turn creates a well rounded school.

Cara

The University of Colorado Boulder is a good place to go to college. The campus is gorgeous and the facilities are always being updated. Campus layout is a little spread out but overall not too big to undertake on foot. There are multiple buses and other forms of transportation available free of charge for students to use in campus and around the City of Boulder. Professors have consistent office hours and welcome students to meet with them to discuss their course. Lots of academic help available to freshman but not so much to upperclassmen. Cost of textbooks and course supplies is relatively high compared other retailers. Greek life is very popular at the University of Colorado Boulder and is where a majority of parties take place. Lots of international students and diversity on campus. The university is an overall good choice for any major, especially anything involving math, engineering or science.

Jane

Sometimes seems like its own bubble. Limited intellectual diversity at times. However, professors do really care about their students and that isn't always possible to find. The courses are the right amount of challenge, depending on your field of study.