University of Colorado Colorado Springs Top Questions

I graduated high school in 2003 and I feel as though I've lived a lot; in a strange way, high school feels like it was a lifetime ago. If I were to go back to talk to myself in high school, I would first reassure myself that everything that happens in high school doesn't matter. In fact, I barely remember high school and it's only been 12 years! Secondly, I would attempt to convince my younger self that I am beautiful; there's no need to rush love and fall for the first guy who comes along. Lastly, I would tell myself to live. We only get one shot at life and it shouldn't be wasted with insecurity or self-doubt. I am proud of everything I've done for the last 12 years because it got me here but I wish I would have had the strength, courage, and freedom that I've discovered in my 20s.

Estell

College is absolutely different than high school. Don't become discouraged of your education simply because a teacher is incapable of properly teaching, or if you believe the work load is just too much. Keep moving toward the goal of college because the world of university education is entirely in your hands. Also, don't get too cocky with your knowledge! There are so many things you have yet to learn in the field you are interested in. If you keep an open mind, then learning and comprehending will be absolutely enjoyable as well as painless. This is your life, don't let anyone define you differently. You know what you want to achieve, and if going to college and getting an education in what you love is your aspiration, then shoot for the stars. If anyone tells you that you can't do so, you don't need those people in your life. Don't ever change those aspirations for anyone, and stay true to the education you deserve.

I would say, go to your first choice college and do not be worried or intimidated to live a little! If you play it safe and chose a college that is easy and comfortable, you may not get everything you were wanting out of it. Pick a school and do your research-- look up class sizes, academic life, campus invovlement and activities. Talk to someone from your high school that goes to school their and get their taking on the school. Tour the school, heck spend a weekend there. Imagine yourself there! After all that is said and done, evaluate if this is YOUR school. You are going to college for school and to get a degree. Make that the most important factor. Make sure you will like the classes and degree program. The second most important thing is picking that one school where it is going to be home away from home-- one you are proud to be a part of, come back to, make lifelong friendships out of. You only have a short amount of time to enjoy college the way you are supposed to... so chose wisely...put your mind and heart into it and go!

Sheldyn

Knowing what I know about college now and the transition I had to go through, I would tell myself that starting at a smaller school and working toward something bigger is totally okay. The transition I had in going to a small school and living at home was much easier as well as cheaper than going straight into a bigger school right after graduation. I feel much more prepared and well adjusted to life as a college student than many of my friends who did go to a bigger school. It is also not the end of the world if you don't get into your top school. There is always an option to transfer if you choose a school you do not like. Yes, college is a big deal, but do not let the pressure of adults and friends make you feel as though there is only one choice. Trust your instinct, because only you know yourself the best.

Sandra

Be proactive. Find the freshman advisor office and make connections. Show up to your professor's office hours even if you don't have any questions. Engage them by talking about your life, you interestes, and find out about theirs.

Cydney

If I could go back in time and advise myself in how best to make the decision between high school and college life, I would say these words: Cydney, you are an adult now. You can make your own choices and think freely about yourself and about the world around you. Embrace your newfound freedom and never, ever take it for granted, because any bit of it can be taken at any point in time - like when you go home on the weekend and suddenly have to go back to asking Mom and Dad if you can go out with a friend to a midnight movie showing. Trust that you know yourself well enough to handle difficult situations, and trust that you know when to get yourself out of dangerous ones. If you don't trust yourself, you'll fail. Mistakes are inevitable, but they'll be much less painful if you keep faith in yourself.

Kaylee

If I had the chance to go back and talk to myself as a high school senior I would say, "You're in the International Baccalaureate Program, and although your studies are difficult right now, and you worry about what next year will be like; you will be okay. You have the preparation you need to succeed. Your friends will spread out across the country, and you'll miss them quite often, but when you see them next you'll have so much more to talk about then you did before, and the time you spend with them will be so much more appreciated. Although you'll have to get used to a new school and new teachers, you don't have to be nervous. Your teachers will understand your a freshman, and they will work with you to help you succeed, you'll even become close to some of them rather quickly! Inhale, exhale, and make sure to enjoy your lat year in highschool, it'll be over before you know it and you'll miss it dearly. You're ready for college, so finish high school with a bang!"

Madeleine

Looking back on the experiences that I have had as a freshman in college, I would tell my high school senior self to take more risks and to stop being afraid of the outcome. I would give myself this advice because experiencing failure and learning from mistakes is a huge part of growing up that is important in becoming successful. By taking risks, I am referring to risks such as going out of state for college, taking challenging classes and doing things that I love. I regret being afraid to take these kinds of risks while making the transition into college and hope that I will be more willing to take risks in the future.

If I could go back in time and talk to my former self, I would tell him that he does not need to take on as much as he thinks. When I was a freshman just starting off in college, I took on a heavy, science-based workload while working approximately six to ten hours a week. I was taking twenty credits and was running myself ragged. I was diagnosed with mono and pneumonia at the same time, and i still went to all my classes and work. I literally almost killed myself because I thought I needed to do all those things to be successful in college. I would tell myself that there will be time to do all the things I wanted to do, so do not take on more than you can handle. I would tell him that you have to first take into account your health before you can focus on anything else. While I still recieved a 3.5 GPA that semester, it was one of the most miserable times of my life because I was so sick, and if I could change that time, I would.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself that there are ways to afford college that many people do not talk about. There are more than academic scholarships available but you have to search them out and apply. Also the method to apply for school grants and loans is relatively easy it just takes time and a computer. I would also say that going to college is not as difficult as one thinks. Yes it takes time and effort but it is all worth it in the end. Do not let people around you in your current small town talk you out of finding ways to go to college. You are an intelligent girl who will not stop to achieve your goals. Once you have found your way remember to give back to others. You can and will do everything you dreamed of doing.

Colton

I would tell myself to stay in state and if possible to stay in the town I live in. College is a place to learn and not a place to party(all the time). Changing majors 4 different times is not a good idea, just stick with what you first decided to go to college for. I would tell my self that getting good grades as a freshmen and sophmore is key to getting an internship . Last, I would tell myself to get more involved in student research becasue there is where you meet people that have the same interests as you.

Bradley Cooper, A-list actor, graduated with a BA in English when he was 22, enrolled in a three year program at the Actors Studio Drama School, and graduated with an MFA in acting at 25. It then took him fourteen years to become famous. I still haven’t gotten my BA yet. However, I’ve had a great life, good and bad decisions all. But why couldn’t I have realized that college would have helped me years ago? Why did I have to spend seven years in restaurants, bars, and other odd jobs, making next to nothing, to realize that I wouldn’t become a movie superstar, or a famous author, or a successful anything, without a lot of practice, and certainly not without a college degree that is required by almost every major employer? I did learn some lessons from a degree-less life though. I learned street smarts, how to charm, how to lie, how to tell the truth, how to listen, and how to empathize. I don’t wake up every morning and pout about not having gone to college sooner, though it probably would have opened doors and given me a better life sooner.

Tam

First and foremost, I would tell myself to take scholarships more seriously. I would tell myself to put more effort and time into finding free money to fund my college education instead of whining and complaining about how expensive college is. I would also tell myself that procrastination is my worst enemy. Procrastinating in high school is bad, but it is worse in college because not only is the workload increased, but the difficulty is also more intense. I have to tell myself to keep myself on my toes and be proactive about everything.

Claudia

If I had the chance to go back to high school I would tell myself to appreciate the fact that I can study without having to work. I would tell myself to realize how valuable time is and that no matter what you do, you cannot get time back. Every day that passes and everything decision you make adds up to make you the person you will be. Just because we think a decision is small, it does not mean that it will not affect your future greatly. I would tell myself to realize that choosing your career is one of those decisions. I would tell myself to choose my career with time and to investigate whether both my abilities and interests can allow me to succeed in what I’m choosing. College is a wonderful experience and you want to make sure you are making the most out of it. If you know what you want, you will be able to take the classes you need without losing any time. This will allow you to graduate sooner so you can move on to the next step in your life. Remember that without dedication there is no success.

You really shouldn't wait until the last minute to do your work. The semesters get harder as you progress through school. Don't let your social life get in the way of your work. Do not worry about the drama between roommates. Study hard I can not emphasize that enough. You really do like online classes. Keep your head up even when things get harder. You have to work twice as hard to keep your GPA where it is. Don't park in the wrong spot, you will get ticketed. Ask for help if you need it. Swallow your pride when it comes to tutoring. Business calc is hard really pay attention in that class. Stay off of your phone sadly it doesn't help you study. Be proactive, get your stuff done early. Be prepared for team work, I know you don't really like people but it is time to learn some tolerance.

Apply for scholarships! Do not assume that your GPA, your SAT scores, and extracurriculars will be enough to get you enough money to go to school! This is a vital mistake which will keep you from going to your dream school. You can never be too prepared... don't be too hard on yourself, though, for these mistakes. Never focus on the mistake itself, focus on fixing it because that is what is truly important. Just keep working hard, that will get you wherever you are meant to be.

It's going to be a bit different from now. Some of the homework assignments and exams will be more intense. Your free time will often pale in comparison to what you're experiencing these days. But you need to press on. Stalwartness and dependability are going to end up being your greatest assets as a college student. Don't shrink back, even when it feels like you're being overwhelmed. The rewards are so much more than you can even think or imagine. Remember how you were always perplexed about what you'd like to do as a profession when you grew up? Well, you'll find that out soon enough, and you'll be more excited and clearheaded than ever; just so long as you don't settle on a time-wasting party school.

Make sure you remember to find time for yourself once in a while.

Kathy

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would let myself know that life is not a race... slow down. I would have told myself that it's okay to be confused about who you are, what you want to do, and who you want to be. I would tell myself not to take life too seriously, and that the glory in living is found when you slow down to realize how much fun and beauty is already all around me - not in another destination. I would tell myself not to try and grow up so fast, because even adults are not always sure of who they are and what they want to do with their lives. I would tell myself that my parents are not pushing me to be my enemies, but rather that they are my biggest cheerleaders. I would tell myself to love other people more openly and don't be too scared to get hurt. I would tell myself a lot of things, but the most important thing is that I really am loved, and I really was loved, regardless of whether or not I knew it.

Kurtis

The biggest piece of advice I would give my senior self is prepare! Apply for colleges early, start looking for scholorships, and plan ahead. The biggest difference between high school and college is in college you are on your own (for the most part). There are more freedoms and responsabilities. These are things that must be managed in order to be successful. But by preparing in high school you can save yourself a lot of stress, time crunching, and money. By applying for colleges early I would have had a clearer plan and course of action. I could have started talking to my advisor sooner and been even more prepared. If I would have started applying to scholorships early I would have firstly increased my chances of winning (I would have completeled more scholorships) and I could of eased the financial burden on myself.

Going back to my high school the advise that I would give myself would be to just get started. Growing into what I wanted to be came very late in life for me. Therefore making a decision about school and and what my career goals would be were very gray. I had a road block because I had learning disabilities and could not imagine the resources available for students in high school with learning disabilities. With life came exsposure, and the ability to see my gifts and talents. Had I remained afraid of the process It would still be a dream to go to school and not the accomplishment that I have worked through. There are many resouces for finances as well, this was also an obsiticle that learked in the background and threatened to close the door of such a great begining. I have began my bachelors degree but ran out of funds. I would have planned my finances better, because I worked and bought what I wanted giving very little thought to my future. There was no structure to the finances that I had, I would encourage my high school self to plan for my future.

Darius

If I could talk to myself as a high school senior i would tell myself that I am a better student than my GPA reflected at that time in high school. I would also tell myself to focus on school, do the work, and study as well as to quit slacking and to not let senioritis sink in at all. Also that I needed to mature a little bit and to understand that some of the people that I hangout with everyday I would not see or even talk to in the two years after graduation. Lastly I would say be the person you are meant to which is a smart young man who is not afraid to be himself.

Jaclyn

I would tell myself to not be afraid to take chances, make mistakes, and get messy! When I first arrived at college I was afraid of what other's would think of me and I was scared to approach people I didn't know. The thing I didn't realize was: everyone is new, scared, and wondering what other's are thinking of them! I would tell my highschool self to get out there and meet as many new people in the first week as possible while everyone else on campus is new too. Don't be afraid to go to a "foam dance party" because it sounds like it will be too messy, or don't be afraid to try something new!

Mostly, I would advise myself to calm down. The transition to college is inevitably scary, but college itself certainly is not. It's okay to not have all the answers because college is about growing and no matter how indecisive or lost you may feel, things will be okay and answers will come with time. Furthermore, it's okay to make mistakes, so long as you learn from them. Do what feels right, make good decisions, and pursue whatever it is that makes you happy.

I would advice myself to go into college with an open mind. Of course you are going there to learn and get an education but allow yourself to go to the campus events, meet people, learn new things and truly have fun and enjoy the time that you have there because it goes by so fast. But always focus and do your work to the best of your abilities.

If I could go back and tell myself anything to better prepare myself for college it would be to challenge myself. Normal high school classes do not really prepare you for how challenging college courses are. I wish I would have taken more difficult classes in high school so I would have more of an idea of what college would really be like. Also, I would tell myself that college is a lot less hands on with the professors. I think this would have pushed me to get as much help as I could have in high school. One final thing I would have warned myself about was the amount of studying that I would have to do. Due to the much more challenging courses I take, the amount I have to study has greatly increased since high school. It is amazing how different high school courses are from college courses, they are much more challenging. The amount of studying I had to do in high school did not prepare me for how much work I would be doing now. If I could go back and tell myself these things I woud have been more prepared for college.

ZACH

I would advise myself to find my passion for learning before I graduated; to become obsessed with learning languages, culturing myself by learning to dance, learning to defend myself, by learning to write and speak eloquently and to dive into college at a more rapid pace. I'd advise myself to memorize the Constitution and the writers who influenced the Framers as well as the Framers' writings themselves. I think, had I done this I’d be further along in my development and I might have even graduated early allowing me to start law school and eventually my career at an earlier age. I am in the process of doing these things currently but I wish I had begun sooner as it has increased my confidence and ignited an ambition that I never knew I was capable of feeling. However, despite how long it took to reach this point of my growth, I do not regret my decisions for they have made me who I am today and I am not sure that I would be the same person without the struggles and growth that I have endured. Thank you for this opportunity, I have you enjoyed my thoughts.

Jade

I am sure there are plenty of things I could go back and give advice to myself about but I think the most important does not necessarily have to do with anything academically but rather with becoming my own person. In high school our parents are still responsible for taking care of us. They like to be involved in everything. Whether it be going to a sporting event or a high school talent show they always want to be there. This is okay in high school but once you get to college this has to stop. College is a chance to learn how to take care of yourself and to learn to be your own person. Mommy and daddy can no longer handle everything for you. The advice I would give to myself if I was a high school senior would be to start self advocating a little more your senior year so that the change once you hit college is not so dramatic.

Keeley

I think the most important advice that I could give myself would be to master time management and study skills before going off to college. Despite the fact that high school is relatively unchallenging, study skills will be very important in college. Take the time to learn them before hand. When study groups are offered for courses you take, go to them. You might be surprised that seeing other peoples’ study habits or techniques may help you to better develop your own. The next set of advice would be to master time management early on in college. This goes hand-in-hand with excellent study skills. Since studying will take up more of your time in college than it does in high school, you will have to plan accordingly. It will be essential that you allow more time for studying before exams, but also throughout the semester as well. Do not wait until the last minute to begin preparing. If you do a little bit at a time, it will not seem so overwhelming in the long run. Last but not least, enjoy the ride.

Just be be confident in my decisions. I had suffered from depression since high school. Living with a single father and no mother can be hard at times but I learned to managed it. During high school, I had very low self esteem. Most of the students were popular and pretty and I was pretty much shy. I was afraid to be around with other teenagers because of rejection. As I got older, I learned to be confident and avoid the negative comments. My family members were big support system in my high school days and life. Being able to talk to them changed my life.

I would want to do online classes, I like going at my own pace. College is expensive so don't go on a spending spree when you get there. Keep your head in your studies when it's needed. Sometimes homework can make or break you. Make the most of it because with how far you can get ahead it does go by really quickly.

The challenge, the rigor, the stress, of being in college bestows an aura of infinite anxiety on a student. Actually being capable of opening up to new experiences, and others, and enjoy the smaller things in life is difficult. Education is the most revered aspect of the college experience but being able to enjoy the college lifestyle creates a well-rounded character. The autonomy, independence, and complete freedom, though while eagerly accepted, give students to opportunity to self-govern themselves completely. I turned eighteen my first week of college which categorized me as a legal and official adult. With the age came a myriad of blossoming new experiences and opportunities. Yet, it is here in college and this state of mind, in this land of self-exploration, self-discovery, and character growth that I have become more at ease with who I am. In my state of stress and worry I am gradually learning to slow down and enjoy the vitality of life’s experiences. If I could go back and give myself advice as a high school senior I would tell myself to relax, be more open, and fully appreciate all the wondrous opportunities I am bestowed.

Tina

Knowing what I know now, I would tell myself that I don’t really know what I want to be yet. Despite my resolute attitude, I really didn’t have a clue what life was all about or how I was going to fit into the world. I would recommend taking multiple, unrelated classes and explore the world and the people in it. Listen to other people’s stories and understand their backgrounds and what drives them to get out of bed in the morning. Learn what makes the whole world tick, not just the small community I was from. I would also try and impress upon myself how people are not set in stone, but are fluid and ever changing, like the banks of a slowly flowing river. One’s shape and direction subtly changes with the passing of time and when I look back at who I was then. I understand now that I’m still that same river, but I’m in a different location and flow a different direction than when I began. Because of this, it’s best not consider one’s academic endeavor to be continuous throughout the lifespan and plan accordingly for that.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition the first thing I would tell myself is not to worry. I was extremely stressed about leaving high school as a senior. I had always done well in school, had plenty of friends, and involved in sports. I thought this was all going to changeonce I started college. In reality the coursework just got a little bit harder. I would also tell myself to make sure you get involved in organizations and clubs once getting to college because they are great way to meet new people and make friends. Another piece of advice I would give myself is to introduce yourself to your professors because it helps them remember you and it makes it easier to talk to them when you have questions or need help. Lastly, I would tell my senior self to remember to have fun! College is a time to learn, explore, and take risks.

emily

Dear Emily, Hope senior year is lots of fun! Watch out because it goes by really fast. Now beware, college starts in the fall and its going to be a whole new world. Here are a few key things to remember: you are going to try and be a grown-up and completely mess it up, a lot. But that's okay. You have a great support system at home to help you stand back up. Spend your money wisely, there is plenty of time to go out and have fun, but remember that money doesn't grow on trees. Be creative with the things you have! Recycle and reuse! You're good at being creative! Fall in love more than once. People grow and change and that's okay. Protect your heart but be open to meet new people (including new friends). Lastly, remember you're a part of a great family at home who only want you to be happy. Listen to their advice and remember what you have learned growing up: be yourself and work hard. Good luck in the fall! Now go have an adventure! Love you lots! ~Emily PS- Dad is not an ATM!!!!!

If I could go back and talk to myself I would tell myself to study more in high school and create the routine that is needed in college. During high school, the classes came easy for me and I didn't need to study much if at all to excel in all of my course work. Once college started, however, it was a different story. The coursework is more rigorousand the teachers are more demanding with expectations. I now need to study for hours at times before quizzes and exams which was a practice I was not used to. I believe that if I had started this practice in my high school years it would have been an easier transition into the course work at my university.

I would first find myself and give her a good shaking. After the shock of seeing myself from the future and past i would deliver my advice. My first piece of advice would be Cara get your life in order and don't mess around! Get that scholarship in on time and don't just put it off! Don't stress too much over your grades, you WILL get accepted to college. Friends maybe great now but they come and go, you need to be worrying more about getting scholarships in for college so you dont have to worry all summer about how you will pay for it. If you don't worry about scholarships now you might not be able to live on campus, so get your stuff together girl! Just remember that life will go on after high school and the time to start worrying about the real world is now! Remember that if someone tells you, you have time they are most likely wrong. Dont take your time get it done right away. I would give myself one final shake and say BE STRONG and COMMITTED!

Pick a good affordable school and always put maximum effort forth.

Regan

Throughout my high school career, I was very involved. I played volleyball, I sang in two choirs, I participated in musicals and plays, and I also volunteered through my school's chapter of the National Honor Society. When I kept myself so busy, I only had certain designated time when I could do my homework. Because I had a set time to get everything done, I made sure not to procrastinate as much. I have not been as involved or busy with extracurricular activities this year and I have had many problems with procrastinating and not getting things done in a timely manner. In my second semester, I have gotten much more involved and my grades have gotten better as well as my overall wellbeing. Moral of my story, get involved with your school! Your college experience will be so much more beneficial, you will meet more people, and your grades will be better. Most of all, you will have the most fun!!!

Phillip

Phillip, you don't have time to waste anymore. College is an adult experience that is the first step to adulthood. You should take a personality test like the Myers-Briggs instrument or True Colors to confirm for yourself who you are, what motivates you, and which subjects and careers you should be thinking about. You may think that you know who you are, but affirm it for yourself. Combine what you are passionate about together with what you want to do with life and create a vision for your career. Start on this path from day one and stick to it. Your childish days are dwindling; you're becoming a man. Grow! Every semester is a race to the finals. There are obstacles and tests, but you must start hot and keep making strides until the end. Push your hardest during those last moments. Apply for scholarships! Sit in the front row and focus on your education. What else will you do with your life if not educate yourself? Adulthood comes swiftly, but fear not and be brave. The world, along with your family, is waiting for you to grow up and join the adults. Live an extraordinary life.

Katrina

College isn't as difficult as every teacher in high school is telling you. The most important thing about college is to keep organized and to keep a planner. Write EVERYTHING in that planner scuh as; appointments, class times, work schedules, times you plan on studying and actually do it, and times that you need to spend having fun. Stressing out about your classes will make them harder for you to succeed in, so make time to just relax. Studying is also really important. You might have been getting away with winging your tests in high school but you won't in college. On eof the other things that you should do is to get invovled in your school. Go to the activities that the college sponsers and have fun doing them. Don't be shy around the other students because ou will want to make friends. The more friends you make the more connections you will have once you graduate which can help you get great jobs. connections are important.

Markie

If I had the chance to go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself that the most important thing in the transition is being as organized as possible. First, choosing the right college is important and to start looking, in detail, what colleges offer what exactly I'm looking for. Making sure that it's in a good location or that it has the education that I would need to further my career. Secondly, I wish I could tell myself to get the most money I possibly could with scholarships. In the whole process I wish I would have started these things much earlier because making a rushed decision on something that's so important, like college, more than likely is going to result in a bad choice. Organization is key to a successful college career.

Don't procrastinate. Make a plan and follow it through. It's difficult, it's daunting. You don't know where to start, but start anyway. Don't ignore your own desires, and don't worry if they change. You have plenty of time to sort it out, and you don't have to be perfect on the first try. In fact, a failed start makes a better story in the long run. Don't procrastinate. Get your financial aid done yesterday, whether you're going to that college or not. Forget about your insecurities. They don't matter. You can't move forward if you're always looking back. You want to make the right choice, but as important as it is, your life will be excellent even if you don't. The college you go to now doesn't have to be your graduate degree, so you don't have to worry about being judged by it. Don't procrastinate. You don't have to stress about applications after you've submitted them. The whole thing won't turn out exactly as you planned, but enjoy it anyway. Finally, whatever you do, don't procrastinate.

College presents an environment that is much different than high school. In high school, assignments and schedules are very structured and in college, assignments are more difficult and require more work and time to complete. In college, study strategies are a necessity! It is better to figure out study strategies while in high school than having to figure out ways to study a lot of information when college classes require studying and different ways of studying. Apply for as many scholarships as possible. It may seem redundant to apply for scholarship after scholarship, but once college starts and you are required to take out loans to pay for your education, you will wish you applied for more scholarships. One last thing to remember is do not forget about friends from high school. Those friends who have always been there will always be there, but stay in touch with them. When college presents challenges that seem like they are too much to bare, those friends will be there to support you and tell you that you can make it through anything.

The biggest piece of advice I would give my past self would be to treat other people as if they were having the worst day of their life. I think that everybody deserves to be treated with kindness all of the time. If I had followed this advice in high school, I probably would have come out of my shell a little more, talked to more people, and maybe changed someone else's life. I also would have learned not to be so self-conscious, and to focus on serving other people more. I believe that serving the people around you is the best way to contribute to the well-being of the world.

When I was in high school, I was a bad, bad kid. Academically, anyway. It wasn't that I got into any serious trouble, but I didn't take my academics seriously. I goofed off and made a lot of Cs an Ds, something I'm not proud of at all, but I realized that with my college experience I was able to make up for what I felt I lost in high school. I now realized the importance of an education, and the importance of planning ahead for what you want to be in the future through an education. Now, I'm a Biochemistry major who plans on attending, possibly, medical or pharmacy school one day. If I could go back in time to my high school self, I'd tell myself to, one, not slack off and try to learn as much as possible, because knowledge is such a beautiful thing. Being able to learn and understand as much as possible is very important to me, because you can really make a difference with it. I plan on using it to be a doctor one day, and help those who would need it. I would enjoy that.

Tamara

I would have tell myself that getting a college degree will be invaluable in my future sucess. I would say that my time would be well spent and cost will only go up. I would tell myself that I will be sucessful at completing college and not to be afraid of change or failure.

If I could go back and talk to myself a year ago I would tell myself many things. I would say, "be glad that you took physics. Even though the class was horrible, it really was helpful for classes you will take during first semester. Be glad that you took AP classes. They are way easier than college and way cheaper. On a side note, be grateful that you participated in the CU Gold program because that was six easy credits that did not even need to transfer. You are also going to need to prepare yourself for living at home. While all your friends who leave for college are free, you are still at home. It will be terrible. However, it saves you money. You get a nice, comfortable bed, private showers, and home cooked meals so be thankful for that. I will also advise you to stay in better contact with some old friends. Many of them will leave and you will never hear from them again. They just move on I guess. But for those who stay, cherish them, they love you and are probably here to stay. Finally, stay on top of your homework! Good luck."

Having completed two years of college, if I were given the opportunity to go back and talk to myself as a high school senior I would advise myself to make the most of my last year and to enjoy the little moments. During my senior year I was working in a first grade class to meet requirements for my Teacher Cadet class, and I had the pleasure to work with a teacher who had many years in the education field and a huge heart that extended to every student that walked into her classroom. I would tell myself to ask her more questions, questions about things like the difficulites in finding employment, and what extra things are good to have on a resume. More importantly, I would also ask her when it first was that she knew she was meant to teach, and why she does still to this day.

If I could go back in time, I would advise myself to not hold assignments to the last minute. I would also tell myself to not cram for a big exam the night before, because that really created bad habits which carried over to my work ethics in college. In addition to time management i would tell myself to think more abstract or outside the box which easily got me through high school but will not translate to success in college.