University of Connecticut Top Questions

suzan

My classmates are full of energy and always ready to help.

Britny

The UCONN campus is very diverse. You see people from many different backgrounds and it is amazing how they all interact with one another without any judgement. Unlike high school, there is not a lot of cliques or judgement being forced on the students so people tend to be more laid back and open minded.

Calen

I haven't started school yet, I am starting in January.

My classmates are different than the people from my town, but they expose me to different cultures and helped me grow as a person.

Peter

Since UConn houses over 20,000 students, you can easily find classmates that you are comfortable socializing with. Whether you are the nerd or the jock, there is someone for everyone on campus. Since I am majoring in bio-medical engineering, my curriculum is particularly challenging so I spend the majority of my week studying. However, on weekends, I can always find someone in the gym wanting to shoot baskets with me. While there are numerous Connecituct students due to reduced tuition, there is added diversity from international students as well. UConn is a great place to go to school.

Everyone mostly keeps to themselves in my school. The school is probably big enough to cross paths with a student and never see them again over your academic career, and also never even meet someone even once. Everyone is very friendly; it's like a small town!

Alexandra

In lower level courses there were some who were completely uninterested in the topic and would not pay attention, however as classes became more advanced the students in the course were talkative and interested in the course topic, interesting, and helpful many times.

Robert

UConn is huge and thus it is very diverse in every sense of the word. Racially it is diverse and there are multiple cultural centers for racial minorities. There are religious centers for all major religions on campus. There is a rainbow center for LGBT students. Socio-economically it's also diverse; you have students from Bridgeport on full scholarships and preppies from Greenwich. I really don't think anyone would feel out of place at UConn, its just a matter of finding the group within the school they'd feel comfortable. UConn is generally cold and very casual. There's a range of fashion styles but generally it's all casual, whether for you that means sperry boatshoes and khakis or ripped up jeans and a disgusting oversized hoodie. Different types of students don't really interact much on campus. Everyone has groups that they belong to as a part of their identity. Most of the students are from UConn and are middle class students. It's a challenging school to get into academically speaking so going to UConn isn't a joke, but there are also obviously far more prestigious schools. Therefore, I'd say its mostly middle class. Most students are not politically aware or active but they are predominantly left, just like the state of Connecticut.

Adam

My classmates are sometimes quiet in class, boisterous outside of class, are anxious to get things done most of the time, and my classmates are usually helpful when studying together.

Robert

My classmates were amazing people that had not problem helping or studying with each other and all worked so that we could all do well.

1) I am not involved in such groups but they are very strong here at UConn 2) No one, campus is very diverse 3) Sweatpants, jeans, northface, uggs, sweatshirt, UConn apparel 4) One: All athletes. Two: Nerds. Three: Diverse Group. Four: A couple eating together 5) Connecticut or MA 6) MIddle Class 7) Moderate 8) Only Actuarial Science majors

Jeff

There's a group for everyone at UConn. I can't think of one specific group that would feel out of place, although the student body is mostly White, middle class/upper class, and from CT. There are cultural centers for minority groups to make it easier to meet people as well. There's a Puerto Rican/Latino center, African American center, Asian American center, Rainbow Center, and Women's center. There are a lot of jock type guys and sorority type girls, but there's also a ton of people from every group you could think of.

Jeff

The student body here is huge and diverse. I think it's pretty safe to say if you can name it, we've got at least one person that way here. Most students are from Connecticut, though there are a lot of students from out-of-state (even country) if only by virtue of the fact that there are SO many students. I think it's impossible to feel out of place-- there's a place for everyone. I want to talk about prominent financial backgrounds, political stances, or even what people wear but honestly there is so much diversity here I can't even begin to try.

Hagar

The students from this school are froma ll around the world and there are so many cultural centers and clubs that caters to everybody. There is absolutely no one that will feel out of place at Uconn. It is very diverse. The most beautiful thing is that students of different back grounds and groups do interact which each other

Victoria

The campus is totally diverse. You will see people from all different religious, cultural, and sexual backgrounds all living and working together seamlessly. I have never had an experience on this campus where someone was chastised because their backgrounds or beliefs. While there are a lot of students from CT, it is common to meet a lot of people from around New England and sometimes from across the country (however, that is less frequent). UConn students are typical college kids, wearing uggs, northfaces, jeans, sweats, basically the typical clothes of a college kid. It is rare to go through the day without seeing someone wearing some sort of UConn apparel or a UConn national championship snapback.

Jillian

I would say UConn is very diverse. The Rainbow Center promotes the LGBT scene quite prominently. We have different racial groups, like Asian and African American interest sororities and fraternities, and cultural centers. Club Sports and student volunteer organizations and interest groups are very popular on campus. UConn offers a great deal of religious variety in the services it offers. I think that only a real loner, city kid would feel out of place here. Most students wear jeans or comfortable clothes; people do not seem like they spend forever to get ready every single day. Dining hall groups vary, as we have seven on campus. Often, athletes sit together, and friends make up the other tables. Most students are from CT, however there are alot of students from NY, NJ, and MA. It seems that all financial backgrounds are represented, with the middle class most popularly. I would say that Storrs is moderately politically active, slightly liberally.

There are all sorts of students at this school! I can not think of one type of person UConn would not have. There are people from all races, social classes, etc. Many people are from Connecticut, but I meet many people that are not. Being from Connecticut, I like that I can still see my friends during breaks because they live close, so don't think of that as a downfall.

Katherine

Not everyone here is as friendly as I would like

Goetti

Everyone does what they have to do for an acceptale grade.

Maeve

Because UConn is such a large school, you will run into every type of person. People come here from all around the world, from different cultures and lifestyles. This all has lead to UConn to being an incredibly accepting school. There are multiple cultural centers at UConn to reach out to the various cultures and minorities here. These centers include the African American Cultural Center, the Asian American Cultural Center, the International Center, the Puerto Rican/Latin American Cultural Center, the Rainbow Center (LGBTQ Center), and the Women's Center. These centers are open to absolutely anyone, and have a multitude of both social and academic programs within them. With all the clubs and organizations on campus, students can easily get involved with things they are passionate about. This leads to various types of people joining the same club, which connects people across the board. No matter your race, gender, sexual orientation, etc, you can feel comfortable with the other students here at UConn. It's impossible to pin-point what the common student is like here at UConn. Students are from all over, and have very different life experiences. There are students who are financially well-off, while others are here through scholarships and financial aid. Some students are heavily involved in politics, whether as a Republican, Independent, Democrat, or other party, while other students have no involvement in politics. Some students' second-language is English. Some students are apart of Greek-life, while others are involved in the newspaper. It doesn't matter who you are, where you come from, or who you want to be - there is a place for you here, and students here are incredibly accepting.

Maeve

Jenny

Friendly and helpful, willing to study together.

Janell

My classmates are all very friendly. Everyone is trying to make friends and are very nice towards each other. They each try to help you adjust to the college life in anyway that they can. They help you with questions that you may have about the school and how things work, because they too were freshmen at some point. Although not everyone may be like this, the vast majority of my classmates are.

Jordan

My classmates are extremely kind, helpful and accepting of others' differences.

Kristen

Very diverse

erinda

Classmates are very helpful and it is easy to get along while you work on group projects. Furthermore, they tend to express their opinion and experiencies.

Liam

My classmates are easy to be friends with.

Diverse. Motivated. Capable.

Kirsten

My classmates are friendly and helpful, all willing to learn and excited to be at UConn.

Kelly

My classmates are a very diverse group of people who display their potential and eagerness to learn inside and outside of the classroom, while being committed to beneficial social experiences.

Mindy

My classmates were introspective, intelligent, thoughtful, reliable and above all, some of the greatest minds that I have ever come across during my college experience.

Ryan

My classmates love this university and care deeply about our acting work.

Rukshana

My class mates are really nice and friendly and they are willing to help others, but most of the students have thier own cliches of friends that they would prefer to sit and talk to.

Shirley

Willing to socialize. For the most part, students in classrooms do not interact much. Our university is huge and we practically have different classmates in different classes, so it is hard to make friends in classroom. The students in class are nice though, in group discussions or labs you get to see their personalities and for the most part everyone's outgoing. If you want to make friends, definitely take the initiative to invite them out or something - someone has to break the ice first. For the most part, your classmates will be open-minded to get to know you.

My classmates are great kids with energy and passion, who know how to make the most of our school by working hard, getting involved, and having fun!

Maleek

My classmates are hard-working, diligent, crazy students.

Mayra

The majority of my classmates are very smart and are very dedicated to their work. Many have found the balance between a successful academic life and a fun and active social life, as well and involvement on campus.

Alisha

My classmates are focused, smart, and willing to help each other study.

Allyson

They are enthusiastic about hearing what the teacher has to say even if it does not pertain to the lecture

Jared

Somewhat unmotivated but intelligent.

Kathryn

UConn students are diverse, loud, and never boring!

danielle

Everyone is fun, easygoing, and ready to learn.

Gretchen

I am not sure

Mallory

My classmates are both eager to learn and fun to spend time with outside of class.; most of them take academics seriously but also participate in many activities outside of the classroom.

Salina

I'd have to say that all of my classmates are really outgoing and friendly while being extremely goal-oriented.

Renee

My classmates are usually people in my same major or a major related to mine. They are always willing to form study groups and to help out their fellow classmates. My classmates are always willing to share notes. My classmates come from very different backgrounds, but there is always something that we have in common. My classmates make me look at myself in a different light. They teach you how to communicate to different types of people.

My classmates at UCONN are extremely diverse, friendly, helpful and very studious, but also know how to relax and have fun.

Danielle

Helpful, friendly, easy to get along with.

Kory

Normal and typical