University of Connecticut Top Questions

Nolan

If I could go back in time and talk to my high school senior self, I would tell myself not to worry so much and be open to new ideas. Since coming to college, I have realized that everyone is different, it's what makes you you. The more someone worries about what others think of them is when that person looses individuality. In college, friendships that last are made between people with similar likes and morals. If you make a friendship with someone while portraying yourself in a different way, it won't last. This lesson can also be brought to a more general sense. If you want to stay inside and study on a friday night instead of hanging out with friends, then that's ok. Be true to yourself, and always remember what Dr. Suess taught us: "Those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter".

Jared

Do what makes you happy. Try new things, and don't be afraid to fail. When you do this, you'll find what you really enjoy, and you'll meet like minded people. It sound cliche but let me tell you this, I started having that mindset and the summer of 2014 was the best of my life, and the fall semester of 2014 was the best of my life. See the trend? Start learning how to produce music so you can be ahead of the game. instead of picking it up at 21. Be more social, talk to girls more often, you have to fail before you'll succeed. It's good you decided to stay sober throughout high school, even 21 year old you is proud, do it whenever you feel like it's time. Don't slack in college either, do you want Mom and Dad to not think you can't do it? Or even worse, you didn't WANT to work your ass off in college? Didn't think so, so put the time and effort it, and do you. Make college yours.

Stop worrying so much. Whatever school you chose, you will find yourself. You just do all your work and try you hardest. You meet new people and make life-long friends. You don't need to stress about what to bring. You don't need everything figured out already. You figure yourself out here. Also, keep contact with your high school best friends! Don't take that friendship for granted. Sure, you're busy with your new friends but remember your old ones meant a lot too. Give them a call once a week. Keep updated. Visit them at their colleges sometimes even if it means you miss a weekend with your friends. You won't miss much. Love youself. Believe in yourself. You can do it.

suzan

If I could go back to my high school self I would tell me to try harder in classes. I would tell myself to take high school more seriously and do better academicly. I know now that If I had done better in high school academicly I would have an easier transition time into college. By me doing better in high school, I would have applied to the school of business coming out of high school and wouldnt have had to stress to get in now. The transition would have been easier because I would have taken more difficult courses which would have prepared me for the rigirous course work I encounter in college.

I would tell myself not everything is as scary as it seems. Transitioning into college life and living away from your parents is hard but it forces you to grow up and you really find yourself. Don't be scared, it's an amazing experience.

Try not to focus exclusively on academic performance. College is for the development of the whole man. Live on campus, it will keep you connected with the other students; this is essential for a 21st century career in a competitive, professional field such as engineering. Setting aside leisure time is essential for your intellectual well being. Do not take on more than you can handle. Remember that what you learn is fluid and subject to change. Therefore, it is far more important to develop an open mind and the discipline to understand topics deeply when it is necessary than to memorize what is taught now.

I would tell myself college goes by faster than high school so enjoy every moment. Party less and study more. Stress less and smile more. Take the bus less and walk more. Sleep in less and wake up earlier. Be open to meeting everyone and don’t be afraid to try new things. The real world will be fast approaching so don’t take for granted this time in your life. I would also reassure myself that the future me has accomplished so much in four years and not to worry too much. I am proud of who I was and proud of who I am.

What's going on former highschool me? Hey! Put down the remote and pay attention. I've got a word of advice to bestow upon your unknowing, senioritis inflicted mind. Please before it is too late pick up the habit of reading for your classes, I'm not encouraging any addictions but if more coffee is needed to get through that AP English Literature go for it! College is great and exactly what we've always expected; we've got friends, an awesome roomate, a rowdy dorm (don't worry we still don't believe in underage drinking), and a wonderful campus...we just didn't expect the extent and quality of work. We came into UCONN thinking the whole "I've never had to study" thing wouldn't change, well it defintely has. The work here is much more time consuming and an acutal effort is needed, and on top of that the readings for each class is so important. When the professors lack calirty, and trust me some of them do, the books we paid lots of money for become your assistant teacher and best friend. It is essential that you get into that frame of mind. READ!

Guillermo

If I went back in time, I would tell myself to be more open toward people and that UCONN is meant to be a community build school, I would have never image that the UCONN community was so connected, I would join clubs and become more active in the community that was already there.

If I could go back and give my high school senior-self advice to better prepare me for college, it would be to appreciate the “lasts” but prepare for freedom. By appreciating the “lasts,” I mean value simple things that you won’t be privileged with when you move to college. For example, having home-cooked meals, your mom doing your laundry, or even having the companionship of a pet. Academically appreciate the last time the teacher has to learn your name or tell you exactly what or when there is an assignment. I wouldn’t just tell myself to appreciate these “lasts” I would remind my self that I am gaining a lot of independence. I’d advise myself to prepare for the battle between responsibility and freedom that comes with the newfound freedom of living away from home. Balancing school work and having a social life in college is a constant tug-of-war, but I’d tell my high school self to always remember the underlying reason why I’m at college, and then to enforce the fact that I’m at school to get an education, I’d remind myself of the price of tuition.

Nyerovwo

I would advise myself to apply to more scholarships. I got into three IVY schools, including Columbia, Brown. and Dartmouth. I could have been among the best, but I settled for the state school and live with daily regret. Thus, I would tell past me to focus on the scholarship opportunities.

If I could talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself not to worry so much. Yes, the decision of what to study in school is important, but it's something you can figure out along the way as you learn more about yourself and what you like. It's important to realize that college is all about figuring it out day by day and making memories to last a lifetime. Even after graduating with a degree, I'm still learning new things every day!

The most important thing I would tell myself is to challenge myself senior year. I would tell myself to take all of the AP classes possible, because they make you the most prepared for college. Coming into college with credits is an enormous advantage. It allows you to skip basic entry level classes, freeing up time for activities and also the ability to take classes that interest and challenge you. Additionally, I would tell myself to not worry about making friends or losing friends: To this day, I still talk to my best friends from high school every single day, and it is incredibly easy to make friends in college. You just have to let go of your pre-concieved notions about people and open up. People respect when you are honest and yourself at college; you do not have to act like you are cool or tough because that does not impress people in college. Cliches are cliches because they are true; be yourself because it is the easiest way to make friends and maintain your integrity in college.

Calen

Hi there! I'm you, from the future. Yes, they invented time travel. No, you can't come back with me. Listen, I'm trying to give you some advice here, stop gawking and listen up. You're about to go to college. Franklin Academy was okay, and I won't lie to you, Middlesex will probably be less enjoyable because as a commuter school, people will be coming and going too fast to make any lasting connections. Rick Eriksen is awesome, though. One way you'll know I'm me and not a hallucination is we have difficulty with sounds. It'll get better, so just relax. You're a strong human being. Unless my talking to you changes the future, you probably won't meet any special girls at Middlesex. That's okay. You need to grow as a person first. Focus on your studies. Remember that everyone is just as scared as you are. You don't linger in thoughts as much as you think you do. AND GET MORE EXERCISE. It's tough starting now. Keep eating healthy, and love your mother, she cares dearly for you. Got nine words left to write, so later dude.

If I could go back in time, the first thing I would tell my senior self would be to not rush into things too quickly. I skipped senior year, so I had to apply to college with only three years of high school experience which made it pretty tough. I would also make sure to tell myself to not make the same mistake I did and to apply to as many scholarsihps as possible because college is expensive! I would say to not stress out a lot about roommate troubles, because she turned out to be great, and to focus more on my studies because I didn't start out so great. An important thing would be to call home alot. It's tough to move out of your house at the age of 16, and everytime I called my parents, my stress seemed to melt away. Definitely stay around motivated people! If they're motivated, you will be too! Finally, do your best to avoid the freshman 15, future you will apreciate it very much!

Peter

My advice would simply be to follow your heart both in your choice of college as well as your career choice. Do not let the pressure of parents, school advisors, or fellow students influence you to make decisions against your better judgment. You will be spending the next four years of your life at college, not you guidance counselor. While it is important to listen to their opinion, the ultimate decision should be yours to make. I listened to the pressure of fellow students, went to a wrong college, and had to transfer to a different university sophomore year.

Take your time picking a major. Find out the good, the bad, and the ugly about the career that might result from that major. Freshman year will be very much like senior year in high school. Get a second desk for your dorm; one for your computer, and one for studying. Bring a scale, keep track of what you eat, and exercise! Get a job where you can study, like at the library or student union. Sophomore year is when the real college experience begins. Make contact with your professors. Introduce yourself. Ask for the best way to achieve an "A" in this class. Always know where you stand at any moment. Junior year is filled with classes focused on your major. Don't lose focus now! It's ok to let loose on the weekends, but don't do anything you'd regret. Go backpacking through Europe or cruising in the Caribbean. It won't be long before responsibilities change. Senior year is a little intimidating as the ride comes to an end. With co-ops and internships, the real world is right around the corner. Make sure to finish strong. Finally, be proud of what you have accomplished.

Peter

Since I live in an affluent community having a high school rated as a "School of Distinction," my district is very competitive with other schools and depends on statistics to obtain this good standing. Being in the top 10{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of my graduating class, I was pressured by guidance to seek top tier colleges, as this would also benefit the school's statistics. This was unfortunate, as I made my college choice on prestige rather than selecting a school that was a right fit for me. WPI is an esteemed engineering school with an 85{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} male student population, about 10{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} being ROTC . It draws students globally who are interested in STEM curriculums. While I felt that this was a wrong fit for my personality, I allowed school guidance, coupled with a WPI scholarship, to influence my decision. My parents struggled, in spite of the sizable scholarship, to pay an astronomical tuituion for this private school. I would advise high school seniors to consider everything when choosing a college, remembering that a "name" school might be a "great" school, but not necessarily the "best" school for you. You will be spending the next 4 years of your life there, so choose wisely.

Dear High School Senior Rebecca, There is no race to graduate from college if you do not know what you want to do with your life right now. Take your time and explore your options before feeling pressured to make academic decisions. There is a path for you and if you are open minded and engaged in the learning process you will find it. You do not have to go to a very expensive ivy league school to succeed in life (even though your college advisors are telling you so). In fact, if you try your hardest and use the resources available to you at your future school you will have everything you need to succeed. It is okay that you are unsure what your career goals are at this point. Take classes that seem interesting to you and go above and beyond in them to explore what sort of career options are available. Focus on school and not on the social aspect of college or you will get side tracked and college is too important and to expensive for this sort of diversion. Balance school, health, family, and friends for the most rewarding experience possible. Keep you mind open.

As a high school student, I felt I had everything figured out. My plan was to go to school, study Nutritional Sciences, and eventually become a successful homeopathic doctor. As a 17 year old in my senior year, I was ready to make the big move to college. At first, I was excited about the parties I was hearing about, and about my social life. However, after commuting to the Waterbury branch of UConn for two years, my view completely changed. I grew up and matured more, and my interests shifted more towards bettering myself as a person and through my education. Today, I am a junior attending the Storrs campus and I have the intent to change my major to become a Physical Therapist. Knowing what I know now, I would definitely tell my high school self to listen to my parents more! My parents always told me not to worry about having a social life during college; and they were right. My primary focus now is strictly my education. I would also tell myself not to worry about having everything figured out because there is a strong chance your plans will change.

Chinonye

Give yourself a break! In high school you spent most of your time under the shelter of your parent's command. You spent your time engaging in activities that you thought would make you more attractive to colleges. Granted some of those things you loved but others you pushed through for the sake of college. While you may not have been accepted into your top school don't stress, you'll love UConn. All the hard work you put in paid off, so enjoy your college years. Don't view these next four years simply as preparation for your life...this is your life. It's good that you study hard, but don't forget to make friends, go to parties every so often (it won't kill you). Remember you don't have to change who you are to have fun. I know you worry about that know, but you'll meet people who you'll be able to have fun with without drinking or smoking. Let loose and get out of your shell just a bit more. Most importantly, trust yourself. I promise you'll surprise yourself these next 4 years. Also remember to love yourself, it matters!

Blerand

My advice would be to make sure to get involved in all the activities that you can and that you are interested. The number of activities that you join directly correlates to the amount of people that you meet and the amount of fun that you will have. Doing everything that you enjoy and meeting those that like the same activities will be very benificial to not only your social life but also your school work as well because it forces you to be organized and on top of your work.

I would tell myself to take every opportunity presented to me. Now that I am graduating in a few weeks I have been looking back on my college career and wishing I had taken advantage of more at the university. I got very involved and focused in my school work as well as my honor fraternity and feel like I missed out on other opportunties. For example, looking back now I wish I would have forgotten my worry about budgeting, what my friends were doing, and risk of getting turned down in order to apply for a study aborad trip. College is the only time in your life that you will be in a place that offers so many different experiences. I became very independent while in college but I always seemed to hang out with my same group of friends. I wish I would have branched out more to get to know new people and learn about new cultures and activities that I wouldn't have considered before. College had been an amazing experience for me but looking back I would advise my high school senior self to step out of my confort zone to do even more!

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior,I would give myself the following advice;to give my best in everything I do,to take my SAT and ACT exams seriously.Making a transition to college is not always easy just as life does not usually go as planned.I should learn to go with the flow.Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain and to never give up on my dreams.Whatever happens to me in life is part of God's plan in preparing me for what I asked for.College isn't about studying alone.Its also about having fun,getting to meet a lot of interesting people,discovering of talents.I would also advice myself to be part of extra-curricular activities that I would enjoy.

Jaylene

High School Jaylene, You're messing up! Get your head out of the clouds and stop thinking that you will have someone to help you 24/7. Take advantage of how EASY your classes are and the kindess of your teachers willing to help you. You are such a smart, no you are such an intelligent, young woman. APPLY YOURSELF. Im speaking to you now as Jaylene who is in college now, and let me tell you it isnt whatyou thought it was going to be. You only applied to one school and its the one your parents wanted you to go to. Uconn didn't even admit you into the big campus at Storrs. They sent you to the Hartford branch, with barely any financial aid, having to pay thousands out of pocket and making you become a commuter student, it has to be one of the hardest things ever! Balancing a high gpa, job, transportation, and homework, its hard. Now your stuck with wanting to transfer out of state to GA, when you could have easily applied yourself in high school. Dont wish for something to happen, you want it? YOU make it happen. With Love, Present Jaylene

Shahmeen

If I could go back in time and give advice to my high school self I would tell myself to get involved in as many clubs and extracurricular activities as possible. In high school a person generally tends to have more time and energy to devote to these things whereas in college, life becomes more about grades and trying to make financial ends meet. Also, through joining clubs and becoming an active member of your school you develop skills and connections that will last you a lifetime. Not to mention it gives your resume an edge when you include extracurricular activities that show you were devoted to a club or organization in your school. Moreover, in high school you have the luxury of time and most high school students do not have to worry about paying for high school. The downside is you do not realize that you won’t always have this much time to devote to extracurricular activities. In college there will be much more demand on your time just to keep grades up. You should seize opportunities don’t let them pass by, make the most of every moment you are given.

If I could, I would urge my high school self to get out of his bedroom and just do something. Joining clubs, volunteering and varying my work experience to be exact. I'm sure almost every high school student slaps themselves with regret when they approach the college application process and realize they have nothing interesting to boast about. When I found myself in this position I was of course worried that admissions offices would find me bland and undesirable. But what really scared me was the fact that on paper I apparently wasted four years of life. What kind of lazy trend was I setting? I have a great respect for education - maybe too much. I had only focused on school and stayed within the comfort of routine - neglecting my life otherwise. When I die I want to look back on my life as a smorgasbord of experiences. I have decided that a fulfilled life has felt every feeling and endured every trial. Comfort is the addictive enemy. It pulls you into houses, wraps you in blankets and you end up thinking the world is made of feathers and trivial problems. I must start experiencing. Just do something!

If i could go back to last year when i was a high school senior I would tell myself to organize and prioritize. When you are in college you have to realize what is important and what isn't. I didn"t take anything seriously at all. I knew college was not cheap but I never knew it was as expensive as it really is. The studies, I am handling, but the financial is what I needed to take more seriously. Every High School senior should know that going to college is a privalege not a right. You have an amazing opportunity to go to college and you should get your head out of the clouds, buckle down, do well in school and go to college to get a degree.

College is just like high school; make the most of your experience in college. Concentrate on your studies and making friends; friends make beneficial study groups and will encourage you to do your best. It is not about the education as it is the experience. College is full of opportunities. College helps you to better yourself no matter the classes you take. Whether it is business or english you will learn more life lessons that will help you on your journey to the future.

My heart was pounding a mile a minute. There was ten minutes before the start of English class and I had yet to write the final page of my term paper. I was franticly typing every logical thought that came into my mind. I knew I was not going to make it on time since I had yet to print out the paper and sprint across campus to class, but I still tried. With every ounce of brainpower, I completed the jumble of nonsense I called my term paper. Time management is the one thing I learned the hard way my freshman year of college. Friends and partying were my top priorities whereas succeeding in my studies came nowhere close. I did not give nearly as much time to complete assignments and study for exams as I should have and it showed. Going back in time, I would tell myself as well as all high school seniors to “work hard, then play hard.” Succeeding in school should be of upmost concern and will make all the difference in how successful you are in your future career.

Dario

I would go back to August and tell myself that employment won't be draining, and that I can handle five AP classes, and Track and Field will not complicate life, and I will keep my friends, and that things will work out with A. or Laura, and I will not suffer heartbreak, even though that’s all a lie. I would bite my tongue, hold back the tears, force a smile, and give myself a hug, and say “everything is going to be alright, promise”. I will not tell myself about the pain, or the tears, or the regret, or all the sleepless nights that tested my sanity. I wish I could be sincere, but I cannot, because no matter how arduous that year was, I wouldn't change it. That year broke me, but it also made me stronger. The experience made the transition to college easy and desired, and gave me the ability to balance my life, and enjoy the little things and cherish intimacy. Life got better because I did too. If I could give my senior-self advice, I would just reassure myself, and give myself a hug, because that’s all I ever wanted.

Cory

Don't give up. After your junior year, your bad grades are going to get you kick out of school, and a few weeks later, you're going to break your foot and be on crutches for three months. It won't be the end of the world. You're going to retake some classes and get B's, and they're going to let you back in just in time for 2014 right after your foot is healed and you can walk again. You're going to get a position in a reasearch lab with an emeritus professor who is eager to work with you, and you're going to get housing on campus again. The future is bright and you need to always look ahead and not behind. You'll come out of this stronger and more determined than ever to achieve your dream of being a scientist.

Make sure you pick a major before you start college. The biggest mistake I made was spending my first two years of college meandering around trying to figure out what I wanted to do with my life. It's an important decision, but college isn't the place to make your preliminary decision, at least. I had no direction in my first two years-which caused me to take a whole plethora of differing classes to figure out what I wanted to do. When I finally decided-I was in my junior year-facing a huge courseload that will likely require an extra semester beyond the fourth year-and a lot of the classes I took in those two years no longer mattered. If I had chosen beforehand, I could have graduated in four years. And even if I changed my mind, I would have at least been working toward a concrete goal the whole time. College is not the place for guesswork-it's a waste of time and money. Even if that means taking gome time off to decide what you want to do. It's okay to wait. Make sure you know what you're getting into.

Now that I am one year from completing college, I am beginning to see the frightening reality of debt after graduation. Because of this, the advice I would give an incoming freshman is to carefully plan your future to ensure that you spend minimal time and money in college. One very important way of achieving this is attending community college, especially if you are unsure which major is best for the career you wish to work in. The worst thing anyone can do is spend $40,000 on classes for a major that you are not going to complete, and then end up changing majors and spending five or six years as an undergraduate. My advice to avoid this is to pick a major that closely reflects your personal interests. College will only work if you are happy with the classes you are taking, otherwise you are likely to change majors and spend additional time and money working toward a different degree. Even if you decide to work through classes you hate, you are still allowing the possibility of spending the rest of your life hating your job because you choose a degree that you are not interested in.

Brandi

I would tell myself that I should go ahead and apply at different 4-year universities. I would also tell myself to apply for as many scholarships as I possibly could. I would tell myself that leaving home is not the scary, you don't have to be afraid of living somewhere completely new. I would probably also tell myself to go out-of-state, going to an out-of-state college would definitely allow me to see other parts of the country.

the ony advice id give to my highschool self is to know that things are going to get rough but i need to fight through it and make the best out of what i can. make sure you dont waste your time with the wrong peope and make sure you stay in the books 100{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} because in this world and perfetion you enter, there is little room for mistakes and there will always besomeone better than you. like i said keep your head held high and fight the good fight because in the end all the problems you're going to face in the future will amount to something in your life.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself when I was a senior in high school, I would probably tell myself that deciding to go to a two year community college after graduating was a great decision. The only thing I would tell my past self was to make sure I was employed during those years, so that when the time came to transfer to a four year university that I would not be in such a need for money to afford the transfer. I would probably also tell my past self to change my major from the English Education one to the English one that way I could have graduated a semester sooner. I would also tell my past self that doing all of my science credits in one semester was not the best decision in the world and to space them out and not take Biology.

So much I would tell my past high school senior self but what would be most important? Instead of working full time and attempting school several times right after high school because it is what I thought I was suppose to do and doing poorly and droping out I would tell my high school self to focus on working for a few years till I felt I was ready and then look into post high school education. In stead of trying to balence work, school, boyfriends, and friends I would have taken some time to have fun but tell myself when I decided it was time to go back to school to make that my priority instead of another thing on my daily to do list. Once high school senior me decided to go to school I'd remind myself that although school needs to be my top priority I do still need to keep in touch with those important to me and use them for support as well. That I'm really not all alon even though it truly felt that way at the time.

Attending high school at Marianapolis Preparatory School, I had the ability to experience cultures from all around the world, as the school was made up of students from many different cultures, I was able to play spots that I had never played before, and be involved in amazing activities. If I could go back now, I'd tell myself to slow down, look around, and enjoy life a little more. There were so many days that passed that I wished I could fast forward to when I was away at college, but I now wish that I would have enjoyed that time much more than I did. It was more important to me then, to start a new life, but I'd love to tell myself to soak up all the time with my friends, teachers, family, and community that I possibly could. Life is about enjoyment of every minute, not wishing them all away.

The biggest piece of advice I would give is that thing will not always be easy, however keep an open mind when meeting people, finding activities, and choosing classes. It is important to stay true to yourself and values, however it is also important to meet people and socialize as well. In addition, while grades are important, it is more important not to create a schedule which leaves no room for relaxing with friends or downtime. Nothing is as important as mental health, so keep that in mind when taking a heavy course load and working part time. Most of all, I would tell myself to have fun because four years goes by extremely quickly and the serious nature that has often defined me as to be let go in order to meet people and have fun. Finally, I would remind myself that people are going to be very different from me and that's okay- just get to know them, share stories with them, and learn all you can about people because you never know who it will be that greatly impacts your life.

Kiernan

1. Go to UConn. It's a great school. 2. Learn some study habits. Seriously, you started me off with NOTHING. 3. You'll transition to college fine, don't even worry about it. 4. Don't stress so much. 5. You'll love that job you applied to on a whim more than anything. It gives you more self-confidence, and great group of friends. Oh, yeah: Lauren isn't there to scare you.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would let myself know that college is going to provide many open doors and opportunities. When I was in high school I remember being motivated and I thought I could go on to college and pursue a profession in anything. Little did I know, college life is very competitive and you cannot succeed by giving 99.9{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} effort. The important thing is to be yourself and and give it 110{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c}. I would also tell myself not to worry because it is okay not to be completely sure what you want to do in life at 18 years old. College is about experiencing things you didn't know you could do. Through my general education thus far in college, I am learning that I have an immense passion for Psychology and I would not have known that if it wasn't for my general education at my college. Thanks to my experiences in college, the last thing I would tell myself in high school most imporantly is to be yourself and know you are capable of great things.

Carissa

The advice I would give my former self is to prepare for college before graduating. It becomes harder to stay motivated to go back to school after so many years of holding off. I would shake myself and tell myself that if I don't start now then I'll just keep getting lazier. Also, I'd tell myself to quit being stubborn and to listen to the people that are only trying to help me. If I knew then what I know now, I would've been able to avoid a lot of disappointment.

Dear Amanda, College is very different from what you are expecting it to be. You will be attending a college online in your second year, and be able to work with other students who may be in the same situation as you are. As a single mother, you will not have as much time as you may think. Instead of taking four classes and going to school full time, you will be going to school half time in order to spend more time with your son, Parker. Your first semester in college, however, will be at San Jose City College where you will study to be a teacher instead of the biology major you are looking forward to getting now. At San Jose City College you will meet many great friends that will last throughout the years. There will also be teachers you meet that will change the way you perceive the world and children you will work with in the future. Although college is challenging at times, it will be the most rewarding time in your life. There will be many great memories and knowledge you gain as you acquire the skills you need to become a great teacher.

Nikita

Don't be timid or intimidated by the students, professors, size, or facilities of the campus around you. Going into college you often hear the term that you are now going to be a small fish in a big pond. However, what I've noticed is that you can make the pond any size you want, no matter what the physical size of your university is. The most important thing to realize is that you are not inferior to those students who have been here for more years. You are as important as you make yourself. Many times you may think that some experience can't be done as an underclassman; although this may put you at odds with a situation, you never know until you try. Email a professor if you are interested in doing research with them, talk to the president of a club you are interested in, and take charge of your college life. Being thrown into a new setting with the thought that you are just a tiny insignificant figure won't get allow you to experience all that you can. Remember, even the smallest fish can make a ripple in a still pond.

As I look back on my high school senior year, I was very comfortable, had a personal relationship with all teachers, won scholar adwards in all subject areas, was ranked 13th out of 469 students, and life was good. Having completed two years at college, I don't think that high school really prepared me for college life and the academia world. I went from having 30 students in a class to 350 students in a lecture hall. I am quiet by nature, so the transition to college life was a bit difficult. If I had the chance to go back and give myself advice on college life, I would definitley say to visit the campus area more than three times, get to know your advisor really well, keep a journal, and make lots of friends that have different likes and dislikes. Getting to know the rigors of being on a varsity team and the travel involved might have made a difference in whether or not I chose to participate in a varsity sport. It really takes great time management skills, something I never had to worry about in high school, as things always came easy, and find a mentor.

Adesuwa

If I had the chance to go back in time and talk to my high school senior self, I would tell her to have a detailed plan for any goal. I would tell her that just having a goal(s) is not enough. She would need to plan out the steps to reach the goal and to have a back up for each steop so she would not waste time later planning a back up. I would also tell her to trust her instincts and to not be afraid to change her goals when she realize that her originals goals does not suit her ideal for a happy life. If I have known of these suggestions back when I was a high school senior, I probably would be enjoying a career as a nurse practioner right now; however, the mistakes that I have made up to now have helped mold me into the better planner that I am today as a purse a career in nursing.

Stay on campus, even if the campus is not far from home. It's the first time you'll be able to spread your wings, and be stupid but also be able to deal with the consequences without parents breathing down your nexk. True friends will always be there for you, and they'll love you more for the person you become when you allow yourself to take time and find yourself. My only regret was not staying on campus, and commuting instead. I missed out on clubs, sororities, and all the new friends I could have made.

I would advise myself on two things- social life and academics. A social life is important in college, learning how to meet new people and make new friends. I found this difficult but I probably would have had an easier time if I tried to be more outgoing in my freshman year. I was afraid to attend social gatherings because of the pressure to drink. It's important to not be afraid of that pressure and not to try it because everyone else is doing it. In terms of academics, remember that you are there to learn and build your future. Work comes first, play comes second. I've seen too many people fail because they didn't take their work seriously. Also, be determined. Don't quit something because the work is hard. If you are going to quit, do it because you don't like it or you can't do it. I didn't give up even though there were several times that I wanted to quit my major. Be resilient and don't give up. And if you get down and think you can't do it, your family is always there for you.

Every freshman should know that Uconn Stamford is a great campus to start their uconn career on. You receive the same quality education as one would at Storrs but the tuition is cheeper, and it allows you to work and save money. Freshmen should also know that transferring to Storrs is almost a necessity after 1-2 years at Stamford, because the Stamford campus is limited by the amount of professors they have and size, and cannot offer as wide of a variety of 4 years degrees that Storrs can.