University of Connecticut Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Connecticut

Can

UConn was a pretty good school. I am going to be a freshman and so far I see that UConn provides in many different areas for students to have the best & safest experience!

James

UConn is an exceptional state U that has earned its "public Ivy" status through strong investment in graduate research and "halo" programs like the business school and the biotech innovation program. It has excellent faculty. Like most big schools, however, the quality of the student body is a little uneven. If you're looking for a core group of bright minds, you can make one. If you're looking for a party, you wont look for long.

James

The University of Connecticut is a great school. The school does a great job with the amount of diversity in the school. There are many great alumnis and UConn prepares their students well for the real world. There are many internships and job opportunites.

Amber

It is a great school to go to, it is actually my dream school! I love the big campus, and even with the amount of students, it seems like the professors are still great. There are plenty of opportunities to join clubs and volunteer, which is what I love to do. But what mostly stands out to me is the academics. This school is the best I have found for my business major and for academics overall, with great professors and ways to learn and study. With the amount of majors and minors at this school I know I will not be afraid to try new things or change my mind at any moment confidently.

Marissa

The University of Connecticut has provided a positive learning atmosphere where students feel safe and supported. The University's COVID-19 response has been questionable but the university has managed to keep students on campus so far. They have resources available for students struggling during the pandemic.

Katelyn

UConn is focused mainly on sports - basketball, football, etc. If you're in sports you get a lot of privileges other students don't. If you love attending games, Gampel Pavilion is right on campus. If you're not super sports focused, there are still activities but they don't get as much shine as sports do. I was in a handful of clubs which were fun. There's career services which is really helpful. We have concerts, comedy shows, and more. Housing wise: some dorms are really nice (shoutout South) but some are far away like Towers. Overall a good school, but definitely a sports focus.

Madison

Overall the student life is very great while housing kind of steps behind. Often students hang out after class and you can spot groups almost everywhere over campus whether its the student union, the green, or even just walking around. Uconn is by far one of the most dedicated sports schools I have ever seen due to the thriving women's basketball team. Sadly, these things don't matter much if you hate where you are living. The only chance you have of getting good housing is in your junior year (maybe) of college depending on credits other than that you will have to stay in a 2x2 (exaggerated but barely) dorm room with another person that gets overly hot no matter what time of year it is due to the lack of airflow and the broken heater. This has occurred in every building I have even visited so not just my own. The tiles on the ceiling are also very outdated and have hit me on the head as well as multiple people as they randomly fall out of the ceiling. Instead of spending money on their failing football team UConn needs to spend a little more time and effort on renovating their terrible living situations that they pass of as dorms.

Ted

I found the University of Connecticut to be an over-rated diploma mill who has a clearly defined strategy of profiteering through marginal educational practices, hyper-enrollment, and unscrupulous business practices that adversely impact residents of the State of Connecticut including insurance brokering, investment banking, land development and sports.

The only complaints I have are the following: people can be loud and rude, some professors don't follow the syllabus, some professors are too harsh, and if you're not part of a clique/group like sports or greek life, then you will not have many friends. Also, the higher ups like to increase your tuition to better school image, but not you.

desiree

University of Connecticut is a good school to go if you like to go out and meet new people every day. It is such a big school that you are always meeting new people. There is barely anything to do on the weekend off campus besides go to a party. There is late night every friday but there are not enough things to do or fun activities to attended

Shivani

The University of Connecticut is a great school. It is a place to feel challenged as well as have a fun and engaging time with your peers and professors!

Selina

Imagine driving through the country. For miles and miles there is nothing but cow farms and used car dealerships. Blink. You’ve now arrived into the heart of a city and a culture that will forever change you. The University of Connecticut is a brand name college with class sizes bigger than most people’s graduating high school class. Shops are always popping up on the outer rings of the campus and burritos are available at all hours of the day. Should you want to join a club, that’s fine. There are enough clubs to cover every possible interest, and if you somehow have an interest outside of the realm of their clubs, you can always start a new one. Classes cover too many topics to talk about. Supporting the athletic teams is mandatory. The only warning that should be announced is that it is easy to get carried away in the culture. The classes can be tough and it’s important to pass classes. While the academic probation faculty are very nice, it is not a place you want to end up more than more semester. In fact, you really don’t want to ever end up there. If this sound kind of chill or sweet to you, apply. Just make sure you’ve saved up a few thousand dollars.

Alison

UConn is an amazing school. From art to chemistry students are making breakthroughs every day. Professor care about their students offering extra help at every opportunity. The hardest part of being a UConn student is deciding how to spend your time. Every day there are a million things to do from studying in the library, parties, clubs, and events galore. If you want a school were boredom doesn't exist UConn is the school for you.

Angelica

Every student and faculty member is proud to be associated with the University of Connecticut. This university exerts merit, whether it be in athletics, academics, volunteer work, or internships. Courses are excessively rigorous, but there are plenty of opportunities and resources to help students excel. The student just has to be motivated enough to pursue their own success.

Nikki

It's a good school but could use some serious updates.

Gabby

It's a great place to come across many opportunities. Depending on your department the administration is a hit or miss, but overall professors care deeply about their students. Sports life is huge on campus, but there are other activities to get involved with.

corey

fucking boss

Simran

Are you an independent self-starter? Or a new college student who needs some help? Even if you are somewhere in between, UConn is place for you. Sure some of the dorms are a bit small for my taste, and not all the dining halls have stellar food, but that could be said of any college. For those self-starters looking to create something new, its fairly easy to create a club or basically anything else, if you know the right people. For those college students who need some help. From the Center from Career Development to the Academic Achievement Center, there are many programs to assist in the college process. Uconn isn't one of the 100 best national universities for nothing. There is something here for every major. If you don't know your major there are places here to assist you. If you know what you want to do but it isn't already a major, you can create your own. There are parties around for those who enjoy it, but for those who don't it isn't too prominent. I personally love UConn because it has so many opportunities for everyone.

Princess

The University of Connecticut is a great place to be. There are so many clubs and organization so there is something for everyone here. It is very easy to get involved on campus. A large number of students attend this university but you do not get overwhelmed with the number of students here because the campus is so large. The food is terrible but there are plenty of restaurants and fast food places around so you will never starve. Getting a job on campus is very simple, in fact, I got my very first job working at the African American Cultural Center here. The housing here is very nice as well. I am very glad that I ended up here at the University of Connecticut.

As someone who is from the Midwest, state schools in my mind were like the Big 10 schools: massive party schools driven by football game days and academically middle of the road. UConn seems to have a better balance going. It's on the smaller side for a state school at 18,000 students, making it feel less like I would get lost in the shuffle of students. My classes have so far been engaging and taught by talented faculty who work to be accessible to their students. The faculty, I find, takes the initiative to teach not just the material at hand, but make it relevant to the world outside of UConn. The student body as a whole seems academically committed and the party scene, while it still exists, is smaller than many of the other state schools out there. It's not the dominant theme of my college experience but not missing from it altogether. As someone who's extremely involved on campus, there are plenty of opportunities to participate in whatever one has an interest in. All in all, UConn provides everything I was looking for in a stereotypical college experience, while challenging me academically.

Rilind

My overall opinion of the University of Connecticut is that it's a great school. People are involved helping others and it feels like a good community to live in. Not only are the academics great, but the opportunity for internships and jobs is phenomenal. If you want the experience and a future, UCONN is the place to be.

Klajdi

Uconn is an overall very great school! It is very connected and all the students are really nice as they always look out for one another. Also we have amazing sports teams so whenever there's nothing to do that's always an option. It surely is great!

Destini

I think the University is a great school especially in the political science department. All of the professors are easily approachable, insightful and nice. They make it easy for you to come to their office hours with or without an appointment even if it's just to ask a simple question that you didn't understand in class. Each and every single one of the professors stays after class so you could ask them any question you would like about the lecture, homework, etc.

Tahsin

UConn is a good school but there are honestly so many things I would change about it. The professors are quite helpful and the Q and W centers are extremely convenient. The class sizes are a bit too big at the main Storrs campus but Hartford is perfect. The parking service is HORRIBLE. They almost never pick up calls and take forever to respond to emails. I also got a ticket at the Hartford Campus even though I have a parking pass and appealed but have not heard back from them. By the time they respond I might have to pay an additional fee.

Kimberly

My personal belief is that the University of Connecticut is an institution that mostly focuses on its financial gain from students. The institution lacks diversity which makes people like myself (hispanic female), feel extremely lonely. They do provide certain resources, I won't deny that. But the way this university is set up is overall really to simply suck money out of students.

Shira

The worst school I have ever been to. They work you like a mule and you get nothing from it. Herbst is a imbecile who does not care about the well being of students all she does is worry about is how much profits the school can make by building new book stores and raising tuition on students. I don't know if she even has a college degree herself. I would not recommend anybody to Uconn Storrs I came to the campus my first semester at uconn and then went to one of the branches because I tried to avoid the place as much as I can. The food here is awful both in the union and the cafeterias and everything is overpriced. Its a very depressing and gloomy place to be it rains almost everyday. The rooms are extremely small and it will have you stressed out to the point that you break out in hives. If I had the choice I would have applied to another school because I enjoyed nothing here. The people at the school are lame and miserable. Just do yourselves a favor and don't apply here because you will regret it. I know I did.

Helena

Such a diverse group of students on campus, although the current climate on campus has different groups budding heads a bit. Since it is a research university many professors don't care too much about you learning the material or what grade you receive in the class which can be very frustrating. 4/5 stars overall.

Nijae

The University of Connecticut is a great school with a fascinating and exquisite campus. The university has a very open and accepting community that offers support and many activities. It also offers services and programs that make students feel welcome and safe both on and off campus. The staff is hardworking and push the students to do their best and to pursue their dreams.

Caitlin

When you go to UConn you are a part of a very large community that will make you feel larger than life. Whether you enter the school as the mascot for the school or someone with very little school spirit you will leave yelling the husky chant whenever you hear someone else start it. You are surrounded by a diverse population of intelligent people, you just have to find your niche. I'm glad I came to this school and proud to say I am a husky.

Matt

great school!!!!

Jada

The University of Connecticut isn't a terrible school but it also is not the best. UConn refuses to get rid of professors that have proven time and time again that they are terrible and their only solution is put them on probation for years but not all professors are terrible. Even though there are different living options (traditional, suite, apartment), each living situation is is not equal which is not fair. For example, someone living in a worse traditional living condition has to pay the same price as someone living in a significantly better traditional living condition which doesn't seem right. UConn loves to renovate many things on this campus and build new buildings but complain about how broke the university is. Improving the campus would not be a problem if there was money for all of these renovations instead of the students having to constantly having to pay for it. The dining hall food is not that great too but if you have money there are a lot of restaurants near campus that you can walk to or have delivery. Some positives is that there are many majors and minors to choose from and so many resources to help you along the way in your college career. Also, there is a lot of organizations and clubs to join if you wish.

erica

Truly amazing! It is big school with a small campus feel. I was in the 7th grade when I first learned of UCONN. It was my dream school from that point on. On my tour, during my junior year of high school, it was confirmed. I remember my mom did not want to like it because she thought it would be "to big". She fell in love with it! Everyone "bleeds blue" from the minute they step on campus. The school spirit is second to none. You are hard pressed not find something that interests you. UCONN truly is an amazing university and I am so grateful to have spent the last three years there. I'm in my senior year and am already missing it!

Schnayma

Although expensive for out-of-state students, UConn is an excellent institution. It's so easy to get involved on campus and meet people of many different backgrounds. On top of that, there is a lot of school pride, and it's genuine. There's nothing like UConn nation!

Saedi

Uconn is a great school. It is very competitive which means the course work is very rigorous but you can do very well if you manage your time wisely. Uconn has so many activities and clubs going on all at once that it is hard to just pick a few. The buildings are a little old and the on campus housing really isn't anything to brag about......especially if you live in West or East Campus. Overall Uconn is great I really enjoyed my time there and so will you!

Cassidy

I was a commuter at the University of Connecticut, and I would say I mostly enjoyed my time here. If you're not involved in activities, it can be a little difficult to make friends. However, there's definitely a club or group you would be interested in. I loved the food here, and the campus is beautiful. I also really liked my professor's and classes, and I feel that I truly got a good education from Uconn.

Michelle

I love going there! The campus seems huge at first, but everyone finds a niche or two and is able to have a great group of friends. The academics are great and so is the social scene. Both sports and the arts are supported which is a great change from most colleges.

Ajshe

I love the school overall. There is a heavy focus on academics. We are in the top 20 for public research universities in the country which goes to show how dedicated the students are. I personally am a fan of the women's basketball team and the games are amazing to attend. Storrs Center is a nice area to grab some food or hang out with friends.

Rebecca

While UConn has its downsides, it is really malleable to be whatever you want to make of it. If you don't put in the effort and join really involved groups on campus, it's pretty hard to make friends just because the campus is so huge. There's so much to do and so much to learn, so it's a great school for people who want to put themselves out there.

Olivia

University of Connecticut offers something for everyone may it be educationally, socially, spiritually, or personally. There are people who are conservative and set in the old ways and people who are liberal and want to change the world. There are a lot of students from near by Connecticut towns who go here, so a majority of students are well-off and college life comes as a shock to them as they become independent. The food is alright, some dining halls better than others, of course. It's not CIA type food, but it's better than other colleges for sure. There are many different housing options from Next Gen with A/C and elevators to Tower's old and narrow hallways and stairs. UConn does try its best to stay clean and well maintained, so there's not a lot of litter or gross things in general lying around for too long. It's a big campus and it takes a while to get used to. The buildings and classrooms range from contemporary to 1900's style. A good amount of buildings are not air conditioned, so the summer can be a drag for those who sweat more profusely. Teachers range from easy high school level to incredibly difficult. It all depends on the class you sign up for. Overall, UConn is good for a student who is adventurous, can assert themselves, feel okay being alone in a crowd, and understands life is not easy-peasy anymore.

Heather

I absolutely love UConn! Though it's a bit on the expensive side, it's worth it for the amazing experiences. The campus is gorgeous with green lawns and beautiful landscaping, and it's even getting a new recreation center that will be finished in 2019. All of the people (students, teachers, other staff members, as well as police officers and store employees) I have met there so far have seemed very approachable, and they never hesitated to offer help when I needed it. It's also a rather large school, so you should be okay with crowds if you're planning on attending.

Casey

I enjoy it and I would recommend it. At first, I felt as though I would not enjoy the large classes but I have found that I really like them compared to smaller classes. It is kind of in the middle of nowhere so sometimes it is hard to find places to go out and such but it is still a good time.

Allison

UConn is a wonderful school to attend. The campus is large but there is an overall feeling of community and closeness among all the students who consider themselves Huskies. While some 1000 level courses can have large lecture halls with apathetic professors, this does not relate to the rest of the academic structure of the school. Most upper-level professors and classes are extremely engaging and academically-stimulating, without being too boring or stressful. The campus is absolutely beautiful and there are many attractions on campus to keep students busy, including the Dairy Bar which has ice cream made from UConn's own cows, as well as several scenic lakes and trails. The sports culture on campus is unlike anything else. UConn is the basketball capitol of America for a reason, and all of the student body takes this sport and other sports very seriously. The students at this college are passionate and friendly, as if the staff.

Sana

UConn is a great school with a great atmosphere. I love spending time on campus, there is always something to do, while still being able to focus on academics. Although lecture sizes and the large campus make you feel small, it will feel like home in no time.

Bethany

My overall opinion is that this is a great school and I would do it all over again if I could. At first, I was hesitant about coming here but I have made connections and friends that will last a lifetime. I also got plenty of opportunities to be the best possible. If you want to do anything there is a place for you at UConn.

Adam

The university of Connecticut is a very good school. They are very well known for how great their engineering programming is and that is what I am goingto college for. When I visited the Univeristy I really loved the feel and how amazing the campus is. I felt very safe walking around the campus and the food their is amazing. I can not wait to start my college experience there in August.

University of Connecticut is a good school. It is becoming more diverse and many students get involve in campus organizations. It is a safe and welcoming community where everyone is friendly. The professors are educated and helpful but some may not be the best for everyone's style of learning. The food on campus is bearable. Overall, UConn is a very good university with many great programs that are competitive but worth it.

Jannelli

I attend school at the University of Connecticut-Hartford campus and I absolutely love it! It is such an amazing regional campus, they still try to give you a real college experience even though you are commuting. And they also try to keep your options open when it comes to classes, clubs and activities. Overall, it is a really great school that provides an amazing education.

Jess

To describe the University of Connecticut would be difficult for me. If you were to ask me whether I liked Uconn, I would probably just shrug. I do not dislike this school but I would not say I like it here either. Nothing makes me want to leave, nothing makes me want to stay. Classes are relatively big, professors don't really connect with students, and parties are all off campus and at frat houses. In my opinion, the school is far to large to personable.

Cynthia

UCONN is an excellent university that offers infinite opportunities for literally anything that you might have in mind, and if they still they don't offer it, you have the ability to come up with your own thing. Also, I loved how inclusive UCONN is, it really doesn't matter you where you come from, who you are, or what are your likes and dislikes, as long as you are respectful towards the rest of the people you will be welcomed. And for those that don't respect others, UCONN has many ways of dealing with the situation. I love the resources that it offers for anything that you need, it can be health related, guidance related, school related, materials, or even just counseling. I will be part of their learning community for Latinos called La Comunidad Intelectual which I heard of when I went to their open house, it was so amazing to feel like being home while being far, their common beliefs, cultures, food, activities, and METAS program really caught my eye. I love the UCONN spirit there is on a daily basis at Storrs, you can tell that town is UCONN's town. The research opportunities, the extracurricular activities, and the food options they offer are splendid and very diverse. But I feel like the most fundamental things that are for me is that they are just an hour and 40 minutes away from home and that it was the most affordable for me out of the 8 colleges I got accepted into.

Alexander

I believe that the University of Connecticut is a great institution for higher learning. I am surrounded by a supportive faculty members and interesting students. I have met many bright and motivated individuals that have opened up my mind and changed my way of thinking. Also, getting involved in the school extracurricular programs have helped me make life long connections. The time I have spent here in UConn Nation has exceeded my expectations. The experiences that you will go through here will most definitely prepare you of your future.