University of Dallas Top Questions

Marie

I would tell myself to talk to more people and put myself out there more. I have social anxiety disorder, so practicing in an environment I was more comfortable with would have better prepared me for this.

Mary

Hey, Mary you're almost there! One more year, and you'll be in college! You will love the university, but I have a few words of advice for you. First, don't procrastinate: Seriously, it is not worth it. Save the TV shows and novels for later; they will wait for you. Second, talk to people more. You don't have to be so shy; there are lots of great people if only you will reach out to them. Third, organize your time. Being a commuter means that you have less time for homework and a social life: it's worth it, but you'll need to manage your time better. A daily planner is enormously helpful. Fourth, take careful notes. Don't be afraid to write too much. Trust me, it's much better to cover your notebook with writing than to be studying for a test and wonder what your teacher actually said. Follow these tips and life will be much easier for you. And Mary- you will have a wonderful time!

Brett

Dear Brett, Although you do not feel that way now, I can tell you from the future that you have come a long way in your educational journey. It has not been an easy road for you, but you have grown so much. Your choices in universities to attend and educational programs could not have been better. Each built a foundational block that translated into significant professional acumen. Stay the course. While you are creating your future, there are some things to take into consideration. The first and foremost is to keep up your grades so that you can qualify for scholarships throughout your college experience. Seek out scholarship opportunities each and every semester so that you can minimize your student loan use. I did not do that, and am buried in student loan debt at this point, so that would be a total do-over. One final piece of advice that I would like to impart on you is to get a tutor before even going into a statistics course. That was not your strongest subject. Oh, and before I forget, drop the course when the professor walks in with a bow tie on. That was a brutal one.

Andrew

The few things I would tell myself are that college life, as with anything, is exactally what you make it and that nothing worth doing is ever easy. Always take a challenging course schedule, the easy classes will take you nowhere (unless they are required). Never waste a moment, time becomes you most precious resource and is not to be expended lightly. When it comes papers or projects, don't wait till the last minute to start them. It's not a question of being able to finish them, but rather by completing them in advance, the stress associated with them is greatly reduced. And finally, the most important thing to know about college life, is learning when to work, when to relax, and to always have fun while doing anything.

Caitlin

I would advise myself as a high school senior to not stress so much. Since I am the oldest of five, I was nervous about leaving home and my family. I was worried that the University of Dallas would be too challenging since its classes are all considered honors classes. I was wrong to worry. I get to see my family on many occasions, and the girls in my hall are like sisters to me now. I love the rigor of college education, and I have come to realize that I was ready for college. I enjoy the academic atmosphere provided by the students and as an art major and busincess minor, have met many new friends in all fields of study. University of Dallas' proximity to Dallas allows me to enjoy the city's many opportunities and benefits. I would also tell my high school self that I can continue to participate in the many activities I loved in high school while in college. I lifeguard at the campus pool, sing in the student choir, and participate in numerous on campus activites.

Narinee

Oh dear Narinee! You are about to embark upon the time of your life! Get ready to study hard, stay up late, lose weight (try not to lose too much, ok?), and find out you are an utter beast when it comes to chemistry and mathematics. You are also going to learn to LOVE to write, much more than you ever anticipated. You will make friends, lose friends, cry, laugh, panic, and exalt in the sheer intensity of learning as much as possible in a few short years. Just remember: take your vitamins, get a flu shot, skip the espresso late in the evening, and go to the dances---even when you have too much homework that weekend. Oh, and learn to take a chance---every now and then. Live every week of every semester as if it is a gift....because it is.

Jamie

I love my college. Everyone says that, but I mean it with all my heart. I've really come into my own while I've been there, learning how to fend for myself both in my dorm and in my classroom. Going to college has finally allowed me to become the type of person I've always wanted to be, and even when I'm cramming for tests and stressing over whether my grades are good enough to keep my scholarship, I'll find myself smiling because I realize that this experience has made me become someone who I can be proud of.

Narine

I entered college expecting challenges, changes, and utterly prepared to discover almost anything! In less than a year, I've realized my abilities and my limitations, and what really makes me happy. As a biology and mathematics major, I didn't expect that I'd be so intrigued by a philosophy class, or challenged by reading poetry from centuries past. Somehow, my scope and my vision for learning have expanded exponentially. I've met people who were home-schooled, from faraway countries, and American farms---college has kindled a flame within me. I've become illuminated!

Ruben

Continuing my education with a philosophy degree in mind, I realized going in that unlike most other majors, it was not for the sake of high demand or job security. I may not be as financially secure as I would like or hope when I finish my education but my education thus far as contributed to what I like to call a kind of “well-roundedness” as a human being studying the liberal arts. That is, my education has touched on the sciences as well as histories, literature, languages, but philosophy might be the most important because it provides a viewpoint for going back and examining it all to see how, and possibly why, it has influenced me the way it has, and hopefully I am a much more and better well-rounded human being than when I first started. I was the first in my entire family to graduate with an Associates a few years ago and soon I hope to be the first that graduates with not only a Bachelor’s but also with a Teacher’s Certification in high school English as well.

From my college experience so far, I have gained hope and courage to face the future. I am seeing my future as something that is bright instead of being scared by uncertainty. It's valuable to attend college because I will be open to increase my knowledge and change the way I experience the world when I grow older. Not only will it provide me an education, but it will also provide me roads and opportunities to choose from that I would not have known otherwise.

Susan

My mother practically forced me to attend the University of Dallas, a Catholic school, even though I had decided to stop attending church 4 years before that because I was bitter about life, including my parent's divorce and my problem with depression. At first I felt out of place; my classmates attended Mass regularly, I had no interest in the classics books we had to read, and I wanted to attend a larger college. Eventually, I made friends and day by day "went with the flow." I was mostly excited to have the chance to study abroad at UD's campus in Rome, Italy. I finally went my Junior year, and that is where something inexplicable happened. It's difficult to explain, but I completely changed as a person; I attended church for the first time in roughly 6 years, I became much more confident and found purpose in life, which led me away from depression. It was the most life-changing and important thing that had ever happened to me. I believe it saved me. This Rome program was rigorous and we traveled throughout Europe to learn history. I saw there were much more important things in life.

Kristine

I have gotten to read and think about what most people in academia only wish they can read and think about.

High school is a breeze. School just comes easy, and it doesn?t take much to get an A. You?re growing accustomed to devoting most of your time to ensuring that any club that interests you does well under your leadership. You put off every assignment until the last possible second, because you?ll manage a good grade, anyway. But that needs to stop. In college, everyone is smart, and everyone works hard. The assignments aren?t necessarily too much more difficult, but they require a lot more time and insight. You?ll learn fast that ?studying? and ?note-taking,? once concepts in a seemingly foreign language to your vocabulary, are now necessary. There?ll come a point when you?ll have to admit to yourself that you are going to have to struggle to make it. This isn?t the small world that was high school. If you want to accomplish anything worth accomplishing, you must drop your old habits. Do not join more than a couple of clubs, and understand that it?s ok for someone else to lead?after all, you?re only a freshman, and it takes everyone some falls before they learn to fly!

Maria

Knowing what I know now, I would go back and tell myself to be a little more open, daring, and less afraid of change. I was homeschooled through high school and when it came time to apply for college, my parents had a specific idea of where they wanted me to go to school. It was my descision and my future but my parents were very particular. I am not saying they made me do anything or that I made a bad descision becasue of them, but looking back I wish I would have looked at what I really wanted and what would make me really happy. I chose to go to the University of Dallas because my sister went there and my parents really likeed the school. I had my heart set on another school that my parents did not like. I am paying for college by myself, so the reason my parents wanted me to attend one college over another was becuase it was what they thought was best. In the end I wish I had picked the school that I really liked and not the one that would make my parents happy.

Theresa

I would tell myself: Don't worry too much about getting into college, because you will end up where you're supposed to be. The first semester is hard to balance since you'll be so busy meeting people, but don't forget who you are and what you need to do (study, eat, sleep...). Come to college with an open mind. Be open to meeting new people, learning new ideas and customs, but NEVER forget who you are or where you come from. Enjoy life, and remember to keep all things in moderation. Work hard, play hard, love life.

MLA is not used much in college; dont get used to it. College is complicated and time consuming and you HAVE to know what you want to do and be dedicated to get the best out off your courses. Because you have a child, you have to manage your time very well and balance family and school with work. AANNDDD, because you are so worried about making all A's, it will be more stressful. College will not be the fun, party life like everyone else for you. But you will do great. You have the help and dedication to make the grades you desire. The school you have chosen is the best for you, and you will be in the top percentage of your class! You will balance school, work and family just fine. Just remember, stay dedicated and open minded. You will learn more that way!

Hanna

Balance is the key to life.

To students: I would advise that you remember that college is going to be one of the most memorable times of your life for good or ill. The keep those memories good, keep a balance between studying and socializing. Keep away from engaging in illegal activities which are generally deemed to be part of the "experience" of college because the consequences if you get caught are lasting. The best way to balance your work and social life is to keep a schedule. I have found that when I don't know when I am supposed to do something, my social life takes precedent over my work. Don't let that happen. To parents: I would advise you to simply remember that when your son or daughter is going to college, they are in the process of becoming adults. They have more responsibility, and should be supported, but not to the point where they cannot function on their own when times are tough. Finally, always remind your student that he is not their to just have a good time. He or she is their first and foremost for their education so that they can be prepared for their career.

I think that one of the most important decisions to make is whether you want to attend a larger school or a smaller school. I chose a decent, but smaller, liberal arts school because of the one-on-one experience I knew it would provide me with during my college experience. Once you have chosen the schools you want to apply to, the most important thing is to visit them. While you are there, make sure you "go off-road" and talk to students who are not paid to praise the school : visit classrooms and talk to the students and teachers there or find the hang-out spot and chat with some of the students there. You will come away with a better understanding of what the students think of the school if you get away from the tour guides. In the end, it comes down to a gut feeling which helps you know which school is the best fit for you. Good luck to all of you in your quest for the best college education for you.

Mika

Make sure that you feel welcome there. All the most advanced resources in the world can't recreate the growing experiences of college life - the friends, the events, the learning, the games, and all the adventures - that come with being truly independent for the first time for most students. Find a college that you can be passionate about. Take this opportunity of a clean slate to mature and develop your individuality. Strengthen your confidence and make the most of the college life by meeting new people and learning about different cultures, social situations, or even things about yourself. Be active, whether in your studies, within the student council or a club, or just set aside time in your day to do something spontaneous with friends that make you feel like you've spent a day worth bragging about. And even if your academic performance slips slightly upon entrance to college, don't be discouraged; after you've adjusted to university life, work hard and put your education to the test! And finally, make sure you have all your finances in order- paying for a college education is tough, so stay on top of what you owe.

Teresa

The advice that I would give parents about helping their children find the right college is to be supportive and helpful to your child but to let them do most of the work. Choosing the right college is ultimately going to be decided by the student who will be attending and it is best if the student is the one who researched, visited, and is enthusiastic about attending their college choice. For the students I would say choose wisely but choose well. If you really want to go to a college outside of your home state, then go for it because this is really the time and opportunity for you to do so. Also, do not pick a college based on the fact that your friends will be going there; college is the perfect time to make new friends with the types of people that you usually are not friends with. For making the most out of the college experience, I would advise the student to reach out to fellow incoming freshmen at orientation, that is when many people make the friends that they keep throughout the year. I would also advise that its completely fine if they make mistakes.

Jonathan

Many colleges really advertise to you as a student in a way that can be somewhat misleading to someone going through the college application process for the first time. This happens to be all high school graduates, which is ultimately why going to college can be a terrifying process. I would give two main peices of advice to prospective college students. First, give what your parents are telling you a lot of thought, because the wisdom they have acquired throughout their lives, maybe from attending college themselves, is invaluable. Second, really search colleges for characteristics that are attractive and beneficial to you, rather than just attractive and beneficial. Obviously, most students would like to attend a college located on the beach, but what characteristics stand out only to you? Which aspects of college are going to affect you more than all of the others. These are the important things to bear in mind while college searching. To the parents, offer whatever resources you think are going to aid in this process. And if they ask for help, dive in and help. It's incredibly reassuring having someone who has been there before looking over your shoulder.

First, I would advise the students to LISTEN to the advice of your parents! When I was a senior in high school, trying to find a college I thought fit my personality, I had many choices, but only one or two of them were "acceptable" to my parents. I was very angry, and for a while I even refused to listen to their reasons why. I finally let them explain themselves to me and I (reluctantly) accepted admission to a school which they approved. Now, being a senior at that same university, I look back with awe and wonder at the persistence of my parents because they were only concerned with my future. I could not imagine my college experience anywhere but where I am. I also can not thank my parents enough for the advice which they gave me. So, parents, I would advise you to tell your kids WHY you like or dislike certain schools, and seniors, I would advise you to actually listen to your parents. Do as I did... Sit down over some coffee, and just talk to each other. This is a very important decision you have to make. Why not make it together?

Tiara

Take the SAT early, apply to and visit 3 colleges early ,and apply for housing and financial aid to at least I private southeastern U.S.A. college, early on.

Sylvia

Trust your instincts, for finding the right college. And, if you get there, and it is not what you think it is, don't be afraid to change. For making the most of your college experience, I heartily recommend knowing what you believe, but being willing to change. Be open to the world that is out there, and realize that there are so many more ways to do things than you might have seen before, but that does not necessarily make your way of life any more or less correct.

Daniel

It is nice to be accepted to "big name" schools, but you must be certain your choice fits you. I encourage all prospective students to visit colleges, talk to alumni, and make connections with admission counselors early. Let the admissions department see the dimensions of your personality that aren't expressed on your application. Worry about being a good person, not a good applicant.

Zofia

Finding the right college is essencial. Be sure to visit your top schools for an overnight visit and apply to a lot of places, without fear of being far from home. Also, once you're at school, don't be afraid to introduce yourself to people and meet as many people as possible, particularly in the first few weeks.

James

Understand that the price on attending school is meant to communicate what you will academically reap from attending--it is worth that much, whether it is $2,000 a semester or $25,000. Know what you're getting yourself into, but don't have too many expectations, whether they're academic or social. Always keep a positive attitude and an openness to learn.

David

Inscribed above the entrance to the theatre in the ancient and prophetic city of Delphi are the words, "Know Thyself." These are the words that I would suggest to any student while choosing a university. Know where you came from and where you want to go. Consider the endless dialogue of nature verses nurture. Recognize your nature, and choose a school that fits accordingly. If you are an academic nut, maybe choose a good liberal arts school. If you have a social and outgoing personality, choose a school that has plenty of on-campus organizations and events. Also, understand how you want to be nurtured. Whether you like it or not, your environment has an impact on you. Don't settle for a school that simply has the right degree program, but you have no idea what the social life is like. Pick a school where the environment will challenge you to become a better person. Also, as a last note, consider what you have to offer the university. I have come to realize more and more that a school is defined, more than anything else, by the people. As a student, you can shape the ethos of the school.

Anna

Find the college which best fits you as an entire person-emotionally, spiritually, and physically. Look for a school which will take you as you are, but will encourage you to grow in maturity and reasoning. With this in mind, know that your college experience will be exactly what you make of it, and relies wholly upon your personal choices and priorities.

Antoinette

Anyone looking at a college should really talk with current students and learn about what kind of background they come from. See if the students have similar backgrounds or thoughts and whether they're happy at the school.

Joseph

Students and parents should consider a school that truly addresses the needs of the "total student." Because education is ultimately the pursuit of the total development of the student, parents should strongly consider schools which are the most accepting of different belief systems and religions. Because a person's cultural and religious beliefs ultimately affect his or her opinions, one might argue that the school at which a person feels most comfortable with exercising his or her cultural or religious beliefs is most suitable for a college environment. Therefore, students and parents should strongly consider schools which will provide the most support for an individual student's education, which is ultimately the search for truth.

Mary

Finding the right college or university and enjoying your time there is extremely important so start looking as early as you can. It really pays to search out different scholarship opportunities early, and there's no harm in starting college visits midway through high school... they're a lot of fun! When visiting a school, don't just talk to the counselors, because it's their job to get you enrolled. Talk to the students.... see how THEY like it. They'll give you their honest opinion and great advice on scholarships, what to bring to college, campus events, and other valuable information. Finally, enjoy the search. This is a really big decision but that doesn't mean it has to be stressful! Good luck and if you research enough and pray about it, you'll find the school that's right for you!