Newark, DE
University of Delaware

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Delaware

U Don't Even Go Here

Love it!!!!

U Don't Even Go Here

Love it!!!!

taylor

Overall, this school is absolutely amazing. I love going here and there are so many opportunities if you look for them. I think its exactly the right size especially for my major, foreign languages, so you really get to personally know your professors and better practice your skills. All the alumni I have happened to meet outside of school and those who I have told that I go to the University of Delaware have an overwhelmingly positive response, especially in reaction to the program my school offers for foreign languages which is technically my major: Three Languages. Aside from the critical languages I study (Chinese, Arabic and Russian) there are ample opportunities to study other languages which excites me and many other students. Aside from the program that allows me to study three different languages under one degree, I would say the best thing about UD is being able to be so close to peers and professors because of the size. It gives way to genuine connections with people that care about you and want to help you succeed in any way they can.

Unfortunately, as I see it, University of Delaware is known as a heavy party school with an extremely prevalent Greek life though it only officially involves 20% of the student population. So I would have to say that Greek life is definitely one of the most popular organizations on campus. Otherwise, we are known for our PROUD club, short for the Puppy Raisers of the University of Delaware, in which students raise and train service dogs before sending them off for their final training. I, myself, however, am involved in a trailblazing group that is new to UD this year called the Delaware Diplomats in which we attend multicultural events in order to earn study abroad scholarships so it really weaves a great connection between university students and the multicultural community here in Newark as well as abroad. I met my closest friends, not through clubs and such, but through my dorm. Seeing as we have no AC and close living quarters we all bonded extremely quickly over the first semester, all suffering through the same lack of sweat due to humidity and sometimes throwing "fan parties" where we would all bring our fans into one room in order to cool off more quickly during summer months! Aside from drinking and sweaty "fan parties" in the dorm, there are movies shown on campus on the weekends, ice skating down on South Campus, art exhibits and plenty of other activities going on on the weekends. Off campus, most recently, a couple of friends and I trekked down to Rehoboth beach for a day just to escape campus life. However Main Street and the nearby mall offer plenty to do off campus that isn't too far away. There is also amazing hiking and many parks nearby for the outdoorsy folks which I really enjoy doing with friends on the weekends!

Overall, the students at this school are very open-minded, so I feel someone who is very close-minded or from a very sheltered background would feel out of place or alienated at this university. However there is such a range of students on campus from so many different backgrounds, ethnicities, races, religious affiliations, etc; but I feel the most prevalent background is white middle and upper class students which leads people to say that our school is not diverse when in reality it very much is. We have thousands of international students from all around the world-- over 200 from Saudi Arabic alone! And this diversity leads students to be very socially and politically aware; peaceful demonstrations and protests are often held on campus on issues generally defined as more left winged liberal topics like abortion, sexual assault and the like.

Danielle

I wish I had known how loans add up and how stressful money can be.

I wish I had known how loans add up and how stressful money can be.

I would let myself know that college is going to be hard and really tough sometimes. However, it is easy to make friends and to find the right people to lean on when you need it. It is important to create a support system for yourself and to make sure that you get a lot of internship experience so that you can figure out exactly what you want to do in life. Don't get bogged down by the social scene, because the academics is what really matters.

I do not think my school has many bad things.

Shannon

Very outgoing and go getters. Everyone here seeems to pretty much have there eyes on the prize and are very focused.

More about the financial aid department and how to effectively afford an education here.

Harrison

I would have to say our school spirit. Whatever the sporting event is, the stands will always be packed to the maximum limit of UD students supporting their school.

I would tell myself to just relax and enjoy the moment. Yes it is a big step from high school to college but it is not as bad as everyone thinks. I would make sure to tell myself that while it is fun to go out with friends, your school work must come first. The first semester of college I made the mistake of putting having fun above doing school work and I suffered for it. Although my grades were B's and C's that first semester it was far from the normal A's I get. Once I realized that school comes first and learned to balance my social life and school work, I have never made that mistake again of putting my social life first. I would tell myself that it is ok to go out and have fun as long as you know what priorities come first above all else

This is truly a wonderful and fantastic school. The teachers are great here and the students are very friendly. With that being said, if you dont put in the time for schoolwork you will not do well. This is not a school for someone looking to party all the time; it is a tough school. If you are not the kind of person that puts your schoolwork as the number one priority in your life then this is not the school for you

Victoria

UD is a well-rounded college dedicated to the higher education and career placement of a diverse group of students.

Our school is settled in a smaller town with a slower lifestyle. Delaware is a small, close knit state. It's very easy to fit in here and find your place. The campus is easy to walk through and has a historic beauty. It's an academic challenge so you've got to have the self control to study instead of going out to the many bars and restuarants on mainstreet.

Apply for scholarships and grants early, keep ontop of these applications so you can afford to go to school stress free instead of worrying about bills and whether or not you're actaully going to get in this semester. Make sure you live on campus. The worst part of my experience was feeling like I wasn't part of this school because I wasn't physcially living on campus. I literally went there to learn and it meant very little to me. I just wanted to get my degree and move on. The connections and networking that the clubs and organizations offer is invaluable, make use of them. Join them and stay connected with those friends. You'll find that those people show up in your classes and you will value their friendship and help semester after semester. Try to take care of yourself. Stress made attendence and studying that much harder, excercise and find peace! It will all turn out if you give yourself time and space.

Kyle

The University of Delaware is unique because it provides great opportunities for Delaware residents concerning financial aid. In fact, with programs like the SEEDs program many Delaware residents can obtain their associates degree from the University of Delaware for only the cost of books. The University of Delaware gives Delawareans the edge and is a fabulous place to become immersed in the arts and culture.

The University of Delaware is a great instituion as it provides a high level of excellence and academic learning. In addition, University Delaware students are well respected and have an advantage when applying for jobs and interviews becasue the University of Delaware is a prestigious and recognizable name. All in all, the University of Delaware is a great place to learn, live, and grow.

In the words of the great English leader Winston Churchill, “Never, ever, ever give up.” A simple statement for sure, but absolutely profound. Of course on some level this truth has to be ingrained into every high school student or no one would ever obtain a high school diploma. However, once in college, the essence of this truth is heavily tested as growing responsibilities and added coursework press even the most talented of students. There are small choices to be made every day for sure. Yet, the battle is often won or lost in those intense moments of do or die. Those moments when you have decide whether to go to bed or stay up and study one more hour, those moments when you have to decide mid-test whether to give up or press on and salvage a grade, this is where the battle is won and lost. So in the end, I do not know that I would tell my high school self anything I did not already know, but I would ingrain what I do. Fight hard, never give up, win the battles, for today’s battles bring tomorrow’s victories. Kyle Nyce

Will

I love my choice and I'm happy with the decision to go here.

I love my choice and I'm happy with the decision to go here.

Greek life along with club sports and a cappella are very popular here.

We are not the most diverse school, but we represent a wide variety of students.

I am in the honors program, and it is a competitive program offering fantastic academic resources and rigorous classes.

The similiarities found within a group of my peers makes the diversity between us practical unbelievable, yet these likenesses also highlight the beauty and amazement of blending different ideas, perspectives, and beliefs into a familial closeness.

Growing up, I always had a hard time understanding that I may not be able to be the best at everything. While this is a simple and well-known lesson, it is much harder to put into practice than it is to put into words. I expected to shine as I entered college by getting into every school I applied to, having an amazing roommate who would be my best friend for the rest of my life, and immediately diving into leadership positions while still excelling in my classes. I wanted to be the perfect student and have a perfect first semester. However, this year has taught me that perfection is merely an idea, and that not everything will work out exactly how I plan. I may not have gotten into every school or accepted to the positions I applied to, my roommate and I may go our separate ways after this year, and straight As may not be as easy to obtain as I thought, but in hindsight, those things have not prevented me from having a successful and enjoyable first semester. Keep your head held high, and remember that simply striving for perfection can also lead to success.

The University of Delaware is a cohort of interconnected groups and circles. The possibility to get involved and meet new people is incredible high, and through joining one extracurricular activity or group, one is immediately introduced to several other opportunities that may spark her interest. Maybe even more importantly, groups that are not exactly "alike" are also intertwined, allowing one to learn more about herself through new ideas and hobbies. This university has allowed and helped me to step outside my comfort zone through the extracurricular availabilities, thus teaching me about my dreams and goals.

University of Delaware administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.