Newark, DE
University of Delaware

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Delaware

Alicia

The University of Delaware is an excellent stepping stone for gaining life experiences and knowledge for the future, but only if used as a resource properly and taking advantage of any and every opportunity that comes your way.

Dear High School Senior Me, I want to start by saying live the next year of your life like the Bob Marley song " Don't worry about a thing, cause every little thing gonna be alright". Know that when you make a decision to attend a university there are a few things you should keep in mind. First, consider the quality of the education you are looking for, and know that no decision to attend a university is a cheap one so be mindful of costs. Second, think about the type of people you want to go to school with. Are you comfortable attending a school in which each face is a new one, or would you be more comfortable closer to home with many familar faces? The social setting you put yourself in will in many ways shape how you feel about your school. Lastly work your hardest and don't be afraid to try new things. For example if you get an email asking about trying out for the women's rowing team (which you will) go for it! Nothing bad can happen from you taking chances, you will either fail and learn from your mistakes or succeed.

Someone best suited to attend the University of Delaware is someone who is very outgoing , possibly interested in joining greek life, or playing a sport, but also committed to working towards a good education. The University of Delaware is not a cheap school to attend so someone who plans on coming here should be willing to put in the work needed to be successful, but also willing to try new things and step outside of the box to meet new people and live new experiences.

Brett

Students from all over the world come to University of Delaware to study. Students are eager to learn about their major as well as making friends. During the week you can find most of them in a study hall reading. On the weekend you can find them participating in extracurricular activities such as intermural volleyball or dance. One characteristic that brings the entire campus together, faculty and students, is their love for sports. Even if an individual doesn't like sports when they first arrive at UD, upon graduation, they will be always rooting for the Blue Hens.

When looking back upon my life since graduation from high school till now I would have to say an important piece of advice is to take your studies seriously. Do not goof off in the first two years of college because in the end, your grade point average does mean something, especially when you are trying to get into graduate school. Give everything you do, whether academic, professional, or personal, 110 percent. I didn’t learn this until my junior year of college and trying to bounce back from that choice was tough. The most important advice I would give to my 17 year old self is that no matter how much you plan life, things will not go accordingly. When this happens, do not sit around and do nothing, revise your plan and keep moving. I have encountered many forks in the road in life, some expected, and others not so much. Whether it was pursuing a different degree choice, not getting into a certain program, or getting into a tough graduate school program, take life one step at a time. It all works out in the end.

The University of Delaware is a fairly large school that is located in the middle of Newark, Delaware. Although University of Delaware and Newark police strive for public safety, the City of Newark is not the safest place. There have been countless cases of theft and assault that occurs late at night, especially on the weekend. To combat this, students are encouraged walk in groups late at night and be aware of emergency phones that have been placed throughout the campus. Despite this danger, the University of Delaware is still a fantastic University that is constantly improving itself.

“Ring! Ring! Here’s your wake up call! This is where everything counts; this is what really matters. You’ve done pretty well in high school, but college is a whole different league. The classes will get A LOT harder, but you’ll be able to manage them. The thing that will hit you hard will be the social life. It’s oh so tempting to go out too often or to ‘relax’ the weekend before a test, but you MUST resist. College weekends start on Thursday, but lucky you has classes on Friday so suck it up and don’t go out! The key to thriving is balance; work hard during the week and enjoy yourself during the weekends. You must be smart and if you have a test coming up, ACTUALLY STUDY FOR IT and don’t go out that weekend! You have years ahead of you! You need both the academics and the fun, but you can’t let either one dominate your college career. Take advantage of all the opportunities, but don’t overload yourself. Keep adding activities until you are busy, but not stressed. Most of all, maximize your time at college!”

Any person who has a desire to learn and be prepared for their career can attend this school. University of Delaware is a very diverse school that can accomodate anyone and everyone. Any person can feel at home here and, with some effort, can do well here.

Alcohol is a large part of this campus. There are plenty of people who do not drink and there is plenty of activities to keep them occupied, but alcohol is promenant on this campus.

John

UD is known for its rankings, research, and its academics overall.

UD is known for its rankings, research, and its academics overall.

As a high school senior, I was very distracted by my social life and wasn't too concerned about college (although I knew that I wanted to go). I didn't spend much time on scholarships, didn't take AP classes, didn't apply myself; and because of this, I lost out on a lot of money for school (which I suffer greatly from) and had to go to a community college for a year. Once I finally applied myself to my school work, I became a strong student and I remain that way today. In high school, my GPA was around a 3.2~3.3 with average classes. In college, my GPA is a 3.812 and I have taken difficult classes such as; General Chemistry 1 and General Chemistry 2 (UD has a very difficult chemistry department), and received an A in each one. So if I could go back in time, I would tell myself to strive for great grades, enroll in AP courses, and take that final year of high school seriously.

I consider the difficulty the worst part. But if it werent for the difficulty, it wouldnt be ranked so highly.

Rachael

The University of Delaware is an engaging, spirit-filled, academically enriching, and fun school.

If I could go back and give my high school self advice, I would say be confident in yourself. The first few days of college is scary, no parents, new people. You have to assert yourself into the kids your'e living with in your dorm, they're all in the same position as you are. Make sure you come out of your shell a bit. Thats the best way to make friends on the first few days. Also in regards to education, it is imperative that you make a schedule for yourself on the weekends. Make a to-do list of what you have to accomplish so that your social life does not impede on your academics. You have to find a nice balance between school time and social time. Lastly, just because its college, doesn't mean you shouldn't be safe when out at a party. Never put your drink down, always stay with friends, don't take any drugs, and don't feel pressure to take a lot of shots or play "catch up".

I think that the worst thing about my school from my overall experience is the lack of support with advisors. Each time I went to an advisor for help it seemed as if they circled around my question. I have heard this from other students as well. It made the process a little more difficult and I had to seek out the help of a professor instead of my advisor.

megan

The University of Delaware is a diverse school with a beautiful campus and a lot of opportunities to better yourself in life.

My school is probably best known for the aesthetics of the campus. The campus is medium sized with a lot to offer visually, but we are also known for being culturally diverse. When you step on campus you see that it is a mixing bowl of students from all over the world, and each student contibutes to the cultural diversity that the university offers.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I think that I would tell myself to calm down. I remember that senior year was a very stressful time because I worried constantly about which college I would attend and how I would fit in at a brand new school. So, if I could go back in time I would tell myself to enjoy senior year and to have as much fun as I possibly could. I would remind myself that while education should always come first, there has to be room for fun and relaxation. I think that I would also say that college is scary and amazing at the same time, and getting adjusted may take awhile. Most importantly I would tell myself to give everything and everyone a chance. I would say that it takes time to make friends and to find your niche on campus, and it takes even more time to get used to the different teaching styles of professors. I would tell myself that I learned that college is all about time allocation, and that if I manage that I will be just fine.

Alonzo

The classmates are genuinely friendly and hard-working.

The classmates are genuinely friendly and hard-working.

My advice that I would give myself is to plan ahead. Know which colleges you are interested in and do research in order to find out what you need to do in order to get accepted into a university/college. Take this time to improve all your grades and boost your GPA.

A person that is dedicated to excellence, which means hard work and a lot of effort into your studies. Also, one that is well-rounded, who enjoys socializing with others.

Maisha

The University of Delaware is the perfect mid-sized school located in the definition of a college town with lots of school spirit and lots of motivation to become a successful person in the future.

College is synonymous for change, but a lot of people do not realize that it is not new change being brought upon us by life. Young adults do not become completely new and different individuals when they enter college their freshman years. Instead, they become more of who they have always meant to be. Everything around a person will be changing during his/her first year of school-- level of independence, scenery, friends, favorite things, etc. but one must remember that all this change is natural and will not change who we are unless we let it change us. We do not have to welcome these changes with open arms, because it is understandable as to how scary it can be, but we still must be give them a chance. College is a time to discover ourselves and that discovery cannot be made without the help of these changes.

I brag about the beautiful campus, the amazing students/people I meet here, and the opportunities we have available to be successful.

Katy

Don't be so focused on making people like you, instead focus on liking other people. That is, do more for others and be more positive, improve on yourself. It doesn't matter if these people like you if you arent a kind person that likes herself. Use this year to grow into yourself so that by the time you get to college, you're more comfortable with who you are. And share that comfort.

Someone who wouldn't take their education seriously. Money is put into their future, by either their parents, their family, the government, or themselves, and they should take that seriously.

I like how close it is to my house. All my friends have to move so far, stay in hotels before they move in etc. and I am able to simply drive twenty minutes and be there.

It has a beautiful campus that is not too overwhelming. The first year experience has been a good one. I have made many friends in my classes and the professors have been a great help to me.

I like the location of the campus. It is in Newark, which is a smaller city. It's located only a few minutes from Wilmington and is also very close to other major cities like Philadelphia, Washington, , Baltimore, and New York City.

If I could talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to work diligently in the classes I am enrolled. Study to get the best grade possible and if you need help to do that, don't be afraid to ask your teachers for assistance. That is why they are there. Practice for your SAT test as often as you can to try to get the best score possible. Always keep an eye on your GPA. I think that being involved in clubs and sports is an important objective. But one of the most important things is to always try and give back to the community as much and as often as possible.

University of Delaware administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.