Newark, DE
University of Delaware

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Delaware

John

UD is known for its rankings, research, and its academics overall.

UD is known for its rankings, research, and its academics overall.

As a high school senior, I was very distracted by my social life and wasn't too concerned about college (although I knew that I wanted to go). I didn't spend much time on scholarships, didn't take AP classes, didn't apply myself; and because of this, I lost out on a lot of money for school (which I suffer greatly from) and had to go to a community college for a year. Once I finally applied myself to my school work, I became a strong student and I remain that way today. In high school, my GPA was around a 3.2~3.3 with average classes. In college, my GPA is a 3.812 and I have taken difficult classes such as; General Chemistry 1 and General Chemistry 2 (UD has a very difficult chemistry department), and received an A in each one. So if I could go back in time, I would tell myself to strive for great grades, enroll in AP courses, and take that final year of high school seriously.

I consider the difficulty the worst part. But if it werent for the difficulty, it wouldnt be ranked so highly.

Rachael

The University of Delaware is an engaging, spirit-filled, academically enriching, and fun school.

If I could go back and give my high school self advice, I would say be confident in yourself. The first few days of college is scary, no parents, new people. You have to assert yourself into the kids your'e living with in your dorm, they're all in the same position as you are. Make sure you come out of your shell a bit. Thats the best way to make friends on the first few days. Also in regards to education, it is imperative that you make a schedule for yourself on the weekends. Make a to-do list of what you have to accomplish so that your social life does not impede on your academics. You have to find a nice balance between school time and social time. Lastly, just because its college, doesn't mean you shouldn't be safe when out at a party. Never put your drink down, always stay with friends, don't take any drugs, and don't feel pressure to take a lot of shots or play "catch up".

I think that the worst thing about my school from my overall experience is the lack of support with advisors. Each time I went to an advisor for help it seemed as if they circled around my question. I have heard this from other students as well. It made the process a little more difficult and I had to seek out the help of a professor instead of my advisor.

megan

The University of Delaware is a diverse school with a beautiful campus and a lot of opportunities to better yourself in life.

My school is probably best known for the aesthetics of the campus. The campus is medium sized with a lot to offer visually, but we are also known for being culturally diverse. When you step on campus you see that it is a mixing bowl of students from all over the world, and each student contibutes to the cultural diversity that the university offers.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I think that I would tell myself to calm down. I remember that senior year was a very stressful time because I worried constantly about which college I would attend and how I would fit in at a brand new school. So, if I could go back in time I would tell myself to enjoy senior year and to have as much fun as I possibly could. I would remind myself that while education should always come first, there has to be room for fun and relaxation. I think that I would also say that college is scary and amazing at the same time, and getting adjusted may take awhile. Most importantly I would tell myself to give everything and everyone a chance. I would say that it takes time to make friends and to find your niche on campus, and it takes even more time to get used to the different teaching styles of professors. I would tell myself that I learned that college is all about time allocation, and that if I manage that I will be just fine.

Alonzo

The classmates are genuinely friendly and hard-working.

The classmates are genuinely friendly and hard-working.

My advice that I would give myself is to plan ahead. Know which colleges you are interested in and do research in order to find out what you need to do in order to get accepted into a university/college. Take this time to improve all your grades and boost your GPA.

A person that is dedicated to excellence, which means hard work and a lot of effort into your studies. Also, one that is well-rounded, who enjoys socializing with others.

Maisha

The University of Delaware is the perfect mid-sized school located in the definition of a college town with lots of school spirit and lots of motivation to become a successful person in the future.

College is synonymous for change, but a lot of people do not realize that it is not new change being brought upon us by life. Young adults do not become completely new and different individuals when they enter college their freshman years. Instead, they become more of who they have always meant to be. Everything around a person will be changing during his/her first year of school-- level of independence, scenery, friends, favorite things, etc. but one must remember that all this change is natural and will not change who we are unless we let it change us. We do not have to welcome these changes with open arms, because it is understandable as to how scary it can be, but we still must be give them a chance. College is a time to discover ourselves and that discovery cannot be made without the help of these changes.

I brag about the beautiful campus, the amazing students/people I meet here, and the opportunities we have available to be successful.

Katy

Don't be so focused on making people like you, instead focus on liking other people. That is, do more for others and be more positive, improve on yourself. It doesn't matter if these people like you if you arent a kind person that likes herself. Use this year to grow into yourself so that by the time you get to college, you're more comfortable with who you are. And share that comfort.

Someone who wouldn't take their education seriously. Money is put into their future, by either their parents, their family, the government, or themselves, and they should take that seriously.

I like how close it is to my house. All my friends have to move so far, stay in hotels before they move in etc. and I am able to simply drive twenty minutes and be there.

It has a beautiful campus that is not too overwhelming. The first year experience has been a good one. I have made many friends in my classes and the professors have been a great help to me.

I like the location of the campus. It is in Newark, which is a smaller city. It's located only a few minutes from Wilmington and is also very close to other major cities like Philadelphia, Washington, , Baltimore, and New York City.

If I could talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to work diligently in the classes I am enrolled. Study to get the best grade possible and if you need help to do that, don't be afraid to ask your teachers for assistance. That is why they are there. Practice for your SAT test as often as you can to try to get the best score possible. Always keep an eye on your GPA. I think that being involved in clubs and sports is an important objective. But one of the most important things is to always try and give back to the community as much and as often as possible.

Kelly

I would advise myself that you need to study harder. I would advise myself not to have slacked off the first few years and focus more on my studies instead of my friends. College is a whole different ball game and while the pressure on you from the teachers is less, you have to put the pressure on yourself in order to keep up. College teachers do not play games when it comes to learning the material they are teaching, and if you don't dedicate your time appropriately you will miss out and most likely fail the class. This is a huge deal when you are actually having to pay for these classes and you are on your own. After high school, life does not slow down or get easier. Life moves on and progresses and you have to keep up or you'll be left behind. Friends don't last forever and neither do the good times, and I know its hard to see the future when you're living for the moment, but what I'm saying is the truth and only you have the power to change your life.

Natalia

My classmates are a group of hard-working, determined students who are able to balance their schedules with an active social life.

Looking back at myself as a high school senior, I'd advise myself to enjoy the college experience and actively network. While I was in school, I focused so intently on academics, that I allowed my social inclinations to be stifled. I'd advise my high school self to manage my time more effectively, and accurately balance my schedule. Specifically, I'd suggest to make time to socialize with my peers, to explore the variety of extra-curricular activities, as well as to consider the research opportunities that UD offers. Armed with my undergraduate experiences, I aim to put my recommendations into use during my professional studies as an aspiring Optometrist.

I wish I had known UD was that large -I feel I could've prepared myself a little more.

Mackenzie

University of Delaware is an upbeat school with opportunities for those with interests in many different areas.

The advice that I would give to a high school senior is to go through the process of choosing your college based on your own true inner opinions not the opinions of others. You should choose your college based on your inner person and what you know you want in a college. You should also choose the college that will help you the most financially if you need the money. Also, consider the ease or difficulty and the expense of getting home for the holidays etc. Make sure it has the major that you want.

The type of person who shoudl attend the University of Delaware is an outgoing, intelligent and spirited person. You should be willing to do community service or join the campus fund raisers. You should be open to being friends with everyone and not being part of a click. You should like the outdoors and appreciate all that our campus has to offer. You should be healthy and active and want to join either groups in the arts or the many clubs including sports clubs and intramural sports. You should want to have a fun!

University of Delaware administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.