Newark, DE
University of Delaware

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Delaware

kerry

The campus was amazing, it was a mid-sized college, and it was on the east coast.

There's always something to do and the campus is beautiful.

Try something new. Go to college away from where you grew up, somewhere you'd like to explore and learn more about. Pushing your comfort level helps bring out the real you. I went to college 3000 miles away from home and learned so much about myself by doing so.

Greg

Go with your gut instinct. If at first you think, "maybe this school just isn't for me," you're most likely right. Any uncertainty when trying to convince yourself that you found teh right school will just ultimately screw you over in the end. Don't feel like you HAVE to go somewhere, like it's the end of the world if you don't. Desires and needs are entirely different. While on campus, the most important thing you can do is get involved. Maybe you don't consider yourself a devout whatever, but the religious clubs will be your new best friend. Take up a new sport, maybe a fun art class or two. The school becomes a lot more warm once you leave your dorm and experiance a lot of what it has to offer you. In addition to that, professors want you to learn so go to their office hours even if you don't need anything at the moment. Maybe you'll learn something else, maybe you'll find something that you didn't realize you were weak in. To thine own self be true. Don't create yourself at collge; find it.

I wish that I had known that the Ray Street Dorms are dramtically different than any normal dorm. I wish i knew how g.d. hot and humid it became in the summer. I wish i knew that the engineering curricula was ridgid and difficult to do if you miss a class.

Taiilore

Think about all avenues of college. From finances, to your major, to distractions. Do you really want to share a bathroom with 15 people? Can you live with people you don't know? Once you have found the college that accomodates you, settle in. Learn where the buildings are, nothing worse than being late the first day, trust me. Then settle into your room. As much as your students will hate it give them big hugs and kisses before you leave, parents. Students embrace it, as your parents may have once been in your shoes, remember in most cases you can turn to them for answers. Attempt to befriend and get to know your roommate. Once courses begin, introduce to your professors if possible, it always makes a big impression. Pay attention to your classes, if they are not of interest to you consider changing majors, why pay thousands for something you could sleep through. Attempt to work if it will not over burden you. Become independent. Most of all enjoy college. For however long it last, school is your job, the best, most informative job you will ever have. Make every moment something memorable.

I brag the most about my major. We have a real restaurant and Marriott on campus run by the students. It's absolutely amazing.

Anyone willing to work hard. Students need to know that parties are big on this campus, and there will have to be a time when a distinction is given to party time and study time. I think personally caucassians may feel more comfortable, but all races are welcome. This is also a very spirited university, be prepared to feel left out if you are not the school spirit type.

Laura

A Student discusses the decision to come to Delaware.

This video was taken walking through Trabant Student Center on a Friday afternoon around 1:30 pm. Trabant is the biggest campus dining center that is not a dining hall. It includes options such as Chic-Fil-A, Taco Bell and Starbucks Coffee, in addition to food provided by the university.

This video was taken near the fountain on the South Green and features a student answering the questions, “What is your favorite movie?” “What is your favorite class you've taken so far?” and “What do you do with an hour to kill on campus?”

This video was taken on a gorgeous Spring day from the steps of Morris Library on the South Green. It shows the new fountain and the Green itself, which I think is one of the prettiest spots on campus.

Ryan

Do well in High School so that you give yourself plenty of options when applying to colleges and deciding upon one. Visit plenty of schools and make sure that you can see yourself being happy going about your every day life on campus. Talk to students and do research online to find out if the academic and social environment on-campus fits your needs. You don't necessarily have to know exactly what you want to do going into to freshman year, but make sure the college you chose has a wide-selection of majors and programs that you might be interested in. When you talk to most people about how they decided on which college was right for them many will tell you that "it just felt right", look for that feeling and follow it.

Randi

I would really encourage taking visits to each campus you are thinking about applying to, it really makes a difference. If you can, even try to stay with friends, and stay overnight at the college so you can get the full experience. Researching majors, classes and professors are important but also the life style, the sports, and all the other clubs and activites are really important to learn about as well. This is where you meet most of your new friends for life. Everyone needs a place to fit in, so make sure the place you choose as a wide variety of clubs, sports, organizations and things you can try and experience to really figure out who you are and where you feel comfortable fitting in. College really is the best time of your life, and the college you pick can choose your path in that life you live, so take it seriously and do all you can to make the right decision.

The people at the campus have made my experience the best it could be. I have made the best friends and teammates, I don't ever want to leave!

My classmates are all very different but they all bring something different to the table. Growing up in the suburbs and being an animal science major, I am surrounded by people that are different from people I might have met in my hometown.

I think UD is best known for its school spirit and beautiful campus. It is also highly regarded academically.

Afer determining what academics are offered, I think the most important criterion when choosing a college is the feeling of the atmosphere. It is important to feel comfortable at the college you choose. This is why it is so important to visit colleges before attending them. It is sometime even necessary to visit a college multiple times before being sure it is the best choice. Taking a college tour and hanging out on campus allows students to get the feel for the area and the people that attend the university. In order to be successful at college, students must be happy which means fitting in and getting involved with their peers whether it be to participate in a study group or a club. As the saying goes, it's not only where you are but who you're with that really matters.

John

i knew everything there was to know grew up in the same city as the university

I think there are a few things to look for when finding a college. First to find a college that is strong in the area were you want to excel. Two, to find a college that you'll be able to get accepted two (lets be honest we all can't go to harvard). Next we need to find the college that suits your personal needs. Needs like size of school, closeness to home, affordability.

Allie

Think about what major you want to have and then look for schools that would best suit that. Also, really think about the size of the school. I like my school and it has about 20,000 people at it. A little smaller would be fine for me, but I definetly wouldn't want one any bigger. Location is always key too. You may think that you want to get as far away from your parents as humanly possible, but you miss them. I'm only 30 minutes away, so I can see my parents as little or as often as I want.

The best thing about the school for me are the academics. Nerdy I know, but I'm a civil engineering major and all of my classes are very interesting. The professors I've had are outstanding and really have an excellent knowledge of the material their teaching. Also, the professors in my major are all very friendly and more then willing to go the extra mile to help an individual.

There is an abundance of drinking on campus which I'm okay with, but there is also an abundance of drug use, which I strongly dislike. There is a certain sorority that is notorious for their cocaine use. My freshman year a girl in the building next to me died from a heroin overdose. Every weekend there are several people who are taken to hospital for drinking way too much. I'd say 25% of the campus smokes pot. If someone wanted something, they could easily get their hands on it on this campus.

Allison

My classmates are competative and anxious to learn, yet often friendly and fun to be around.

The best advice I could give is to make sure you visit the schools and ask questions about what interests you. I feel the most influential factor in choosing a school is the atmosphere and the way it makes you feel. Originally, I had not considered the University of Delaware, but when I got out of the car the first time I visited, I know this was the university for me. The campus is gorgeous and I have always felt at home here. To add to the comfortable fit, UD has a very prestigious Biology and Pre-Medical program, which are the areas I was interested in pursuing. The most important thing to do is make sure you are able to picture yourself or your child on that campus. If you don't feel comfortable there on a visit, chances are you won't feel comfortable there as a student either. If the student tour guides and any administrators you talk to aren't friendly or helpful when you are a prospective studetnt, it is unlikely they will change their tune when you become a student there. Make sure you feel at home and comfortable at any university you consider.

I brag the most about my football team and the social situation here at UD.

University of Delaware administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.