Newark, DE
University of Delaware

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Delaware

Jen

Visit a lot of school campuses and a lot of their internet sites. Also the student should call the school for any information that they can not find out online. Also students shuld apply to a lot of schools to make sure that they have options when it comes to choosing the schools that chose them.

The people in general. There are a lot of people that are very nice and willing to help out with anything. There are a lot of different majors at the school and a lot of different people that have showed me a lot of different point of views.

The only problem I have come in contact is the housing services. Not the people themselves but just the way that they, in general, handle their business. I had the worse roommate situation as a freshman. The way that they expected us to live together after we showed a dislike in each other. They expected us to use different rooms for a couple of days because they couldn't do anything.

Steven

I seem to think that my school is very similar to other state universities around the country. The thing that seems to separate it is that it does not attract people from far away and tends to only attract students from nearby areas.

I wish I had known how unhelpful the professors are. They do not care if the students understand the material or not. Definitely a waste of money because I am not learning like I had in high school.

I'm not sure it's about the right college, it's more about finding the college that will offer one the best opportunities after graduation. College is only four years of one's life, but professionalism is the rest of one's life. Get focused and stay focused. Focus more on the degree than anything for it's the degree that spells success.

Talk to students at the college and see if you can spend a night or weekend there or even a day of classes with a student to see how the school runs and if you enjoy it there.

That I should become more involved early on and not wait for others to encourage me to become involved.

There was alot of construction and there were crimes in the town by locals against students.

Stephen

I'm not sure what's unique about my school... honestly, I haven't visited many others. What I can tell you though is when I visited Delaware, I got a feeling that this school was just "right." I can't really explain it; I just knew it was a perfect fit for me. And now that I'm going into my final year, I still feel the exact same way. So I guess that's what's unique: the feeling I get just by being here.

I wish I knew how much of a focus there would be on alcohol on the weekends. As someone who is permanently on medication, I cannot drink. So this makes my weekends less than fun when compared with my friends. I'm perpetually the "sober" guy, and I feel left out of the fun on a lot of Friday and Saturday (and yes, sometimes Thursday) nights. It's really not that big of a deal, it would've just been nice to know in advance.

Find the college that feels right to you. Don't base it off of where your friends are going, or where you live at home, or anything like that. When something feels right, whether it be the college you go to or who you love or what to do with your life, you'll know it right away. Trust your own judgment, make your own choices, and be your own person. Follow your gut. This may not always turn out the best, but at least you can say it was your own decision, and no one else's.

Katie

My school is best known for its social life. This includes football games, extra-curricular activies, and weekend fun. It is a very social campus.

Live each day as if it were your last. Have fun, work hard, and it will all pay off in the end. Try not to make money a determining factor. Although it can be an issue, there are many solutions to financial problems. Do what makes you happiest.

I wish I would have known how hard the classes were beforehand so I would not have slacked off so much first semester.

James

Bureaucracy. Dealing with the administration can be a painful process. Its clear that things like appearances often come before what is really best for students. Student's concerns are not always taken seriously.

The most vital part of the experience is you, so you need to determine what is most important to you and have the biggest impact on your experience. Visit a lot of schools, stay overnight in the dorms if you can. Make sure you take care of the practical stuff first, ie making sure it has the program you want and it is economically feasible, and then concentrate on finding a place that feels right to you.

Almost anyone will be able to find people they get along well with here. Being comfortable with its size and making sure it has the program you want are probably the most important factors.

Corey

My classmates come from very diverse backgrounds, come from all different parts of America (but mostly from NY, NJ, or PA), like to have a good time on the weekends, and study hard for the most part.

I would say that the most important determinant in making the decision between colleges is feel. Choose a school that you feel fits your needs. If you like a lot of people, choose a city school. If you like your space, choose one out in the middle of nowhere. Also look at the demographic of students that are already attending the school. If you like diversity in the people that you know, choose a school that has diversity. Look at how the students interact on campus. Are they out in the middle of campus playing ultimate or other outdoor games or are they inside studying all the time? If you get hungry on campus, eat in the dining hall. It is not going to be Mom's home cooking, so make sure that the food is good enough and offers a variety of choices. Then go to the student union. Ask for a list of all the clubs the college offers and make sure you have a place to fit in. I cannot stress enough that the biggest issue is choosing a place where you fit in and one that feels right. Also, get involved on campus early.

The worst thing about the school is that the staff believes that all students need to be aware of the 'plight and discrimination' that the minorities around us have endured. In doing so they single out the minorities and do exaclty what they tell us not to do. There is too much focus on the issue of race, when the vast majority of the students at UD are white anyway.

Molly

It is located perfectly in the middle of many big cities, and there is so much to do both on and off campus.

Visit the school, and go with your heart! Meet people who attend the school, and stick it in there! One you find the school for you, stay on the weekends and make friends!

Anyone! I thought U of Delaware was a perfect fit for me and could be for anyone. There are all types of people at Delaware, and you can find good friends no matter what you are looking for.

UD's campus is beautiful. It's just like out of a movie. Immaculate landscaping, classic architecture, and bricks as far as the eye can see.....it's everything I imagined college would be. It's a large campus so there's a lot to explore, but it's not so big that you feel lost. It's the perfect balance of small town/college town/down town. Parking is a bitch.

Most UD students are from Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and New York. There are A LOT of students from Northern Jersey and New York City/Long Island. Many of these students don't wind up staying in Delaware after graduation. The most prevalent financial backgrounds are those of significant affluence. Not only is it out of the ordinary not to bring your car with you to campus freshman year, but it also sometimes raises an eyebrow if the vehicle costs less than $30,000. UD is not very diverse when it comes to race or sexual orientation. Most of the students are straight, white, and from the upper crust - although there seems to be an equal balance between conservatives and liberals politically. The study body overall is not incredibly politically aware. Money is a very popular topic of conversation. Do you have it, where does it come from, how much are you going to earn when you graduate, etc. Most students wear regular, casual clothes to class - jeans, flip-flops, and a hoodie are very appropriate freshman-junior year. There is a portion of the female student population that feels the need to dress up for not only class, but also the gym....we're talking heels, make-up, the whole nine yards.

While the student body is not quite as diverse as you would expect of such a large, public institution, the "abercrombie campus" stereotype is ridiculous.

UD used to be refered to as the "abercrombie" campus - supposedly all the students were rich and white.

about 15% of the student body is involved in greek life - so, it's there, people are aware of it, and you probably know someone involved, but it's not dominant on campus and you can be very active on campus and socially without pledging. Freshman year everyone leaves their doors open - not usually after that. Athletics are as popular as they can get for a I-AA school, but don't go to UD expecting it to be an sports-intense campus. The dating scene pretty much sucks. There aren't many other schools close by, so you can really only date within UD, and after sophomore year, you've met most of the same people. Dating doesn't really exist - although hooking up is always rampant. If you're up at 2am on a tuesday, you're either playing soccer on harrington beach, studying at dunkin donuts on main street, or stumbling home from nacho-night at Kates. The spring time offers a myriad of drinking-related festivities. Chapelfest, Skidfest, and Preekness are all very popular. Other than events that involve alcohol, there don't seem to be many other traditions. There is not much to do on saturday night other than drink - although you will always be able to find people to hang out with that aren't drinking.....you'll just be bored with them. Close-to-campus part-time jobs are popular....usually at a local restaurant or the mall. Other than working students don't spend much time off campus unless traveling to Philly or Baltimore to party.

The professors at UD are amazing......their calibur rivals those of any ivy league professors. The only problem is that they rarely teach the classes. UD is a very research intense institution, so it has a lot of money to hire some of the most prominent researchers and professors in a wide range of academic areas - the only problem being that they're too busy conducting research and being on sabatical to actually teach the courses, that you wind up being instructed by grad students far too frequently. Students are not very competitive at UD, overall there are enough resources available that almost anyone that truly applies himself can succeed. All other academic aspects are really based on the specific department.

Kristin

Overall, I've had a great four years at UD. The size seems large at first, but once you get to know people through extracurriculars it seems to shrink. As a senior, I can't walk across campus without seeing people I know.

In part, yes. A lot of students are in this bubble, more concerned about their day-to-day lives than what's going on in the "real world." But there are plenty of people who are passionate about what they do, whether it's writing for the campus newspaper, leading a service organization, or playing a sport. I've even talked to a number of students who work on local political campaigns.

I'm in the honors program and I've really enjoyed the academic side of UD. I've found professors are really personable and willing to help, especially if you attend office hours. There are some first and second year classes that are really large (I had one that was 300 +) but most are reasonably sized. I wish we had better career counseling. The career services center is ok for getting started, but none of the counselors specialize in my field. You really have to seek out your own mentors and search for jobs and internships on your own.

Football games are the most popular athletic events...Well, in truth, pre-game tailgating is probably the most popular event. I've also had fun watching volleyball games and playing co-ed intramural sports.

UD is labeled an apathetic campus.

University of Delaware administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.