Newark, DE
University of Delaware

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Delaware

Mike

UD was the perfect size for me, someone who wanted a large student body to meet new people but not so large walking campus would be a chore or the area would be too urban. Like most colleges, parking was always a confusing mess. There is a lot of school pride because, as I saw it, few Blue Hens didn't enjoy their school, the campus or in general their major-related classes. There were also complaints of long walks between North Campus and the classroom buildings. I spent most of my time at UD at the student centers -- near the food! -- or in my dorm; I wasn't a fan of studying at the library or other designated study areas. One sucky thing was how more and more bars were disappearing, which probably has prompted more house parties. Everyone who goes to UD who can afford to should do a study abroad program; I did two, loved them and talk about them constantly.

I founded Secular Student Alliance my sophomore year for non-religious students and we worked together with religious groups to sponsor and advertise joint events and programs. UD is generally liberal and not overly political in general. There was some intolerance among some students, perhaps a reflection of an upbringing without many minorities, but UD in general is tolerant of other views and beliefs. There are few minorities so they usually band together, but there is a good number of racial and ethnic minority student clubs. Most students come from upper middle class families in Mid-Atlantic suburbs, and most students are well-off financially. UD students usually dress casually to class and around campus; even pajamas sometimes.

UD had everything: a winning football tradition, great places to eat in town, fun bars (although some since then are gone), academic programs, several extracurriculars, life-changing study abroad programs, an independent student newspaper, a variety of on-campus eateries and proximity to Philly, Baltimore and the Delaware beaches. My advice to all in-coming Blue Hens is get involved! join clubs, look into Greek life, go to sport games, go to lectures, join political or religious clubs, and do a study abroad program. One bit of advice though: get knowledgeable, learn everything you can about UD before coming, whether it's your degree requirements, student government, places to eat, places to take your parents, what dorms you'd prefer, where important offices or departments are, etc. The more you know ahead of time, the less lost and overwhelmed you'll be when you arrive.

UD students are certainly apathetic and the preppiness can play into that. It takes incentives to get students to go to games, guest lectures or academic events, whether it's free goodies, free food or extra credit. Perhaps since most students are from out of state, they aren't familiar with UD's small-school athletics until applying or arriving; but since a lot of UD students are rabid Eagles fans, it balances out somewhat. This isn't to say UD doesn't offer or promote academic events. Debates and lectures on everything from intelligent design and the existence of God to Iraq policy and capital punishment have been offered. UD isn't diverse racially and although may appear diverse geographically since six in 10 students are from out of state, most of the out-of-staters are from the same three states -- Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York -- and this can feel a bit alienating to students from, say, Virginia or New England. But the rumors are true: UD's campus is beautiful, especially in spring.

Intro classes were unusually difficult, regardless of instructor or subject. Required attendance for foreign language classes was burdensome. Class participation is more common than not, and most professors do take the time to help you the individual. I LOVED the History Department and its faculty; my only poor professor was an adjunct one for an intro class. The history professors -- many of them Ivy Leaguers -- were insightful, interesting and helpful, and some even flat-out fun. Although some professors focused on job-seeking skills and advice, you're best off using the career services classes and professionals for help on your own.

That UD students are apathetic, preppy and has a geographically diverse student body. UD has been thought of an unofficial Ivy Leaguer and one of the most scenic campuses on the East Coast.

SCPAB deserves kudos for sponsoring and inviting many famous entertainers and comedians, from Lewis Black and George Carlton to Jon Stewart and Aaron Karo. Because Delaware is a small state and state politicians often are alums or have direct connections to UD, Sens. Biden and Carper were common appearances, as well as other state politicians. Students swarm the Tub for football games but student attendance declines as the season progresses. UD fans, however, are very passionate and dedicated, and often make long-distance away games. Students party very frequently, four times a week at times. At 2 am on a Tuesday, a UD is probably ordering food from a variety of town eateries: DP Dough, Cluck U chicken, pizzerias, etc.

Emmerson

I really liked the town, it catered to students and it was a fun time. it was the perfect size.

students here for the most part are all very similar.

greek life is pretty popular, but you don't need to be involved to have a social life.

i liked my classes for teh most part and found a lot of professors to be very accessible.

Dawson

BEST TAILGATERS IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL AND BEST TEAM IN 1-AA

some but just because we are mostly white doesnt mean were racist, the same goes with del st. Del state is not in our league when it comes to football.

Smart, hardcore about football, mostly white, we dont play del state in football.

Susan

- The best thing is that most people were extremely friendly. A close second is the study abroad program. - I wish there had been more ethnic diversity--the school is 85% white. - college town for sure. - I spent most of my time in The Review's office. - Reaction: Oh I hear that's a lot of fun. (read: I hear that's a party school). -There's a lot of school pride. Perhaps not so much as Penn State but alumni are always going back. - Unusual? The squirrels. They came right up to you like pigeons in Manhattan and were known to scale walls. - complaints: non-air conditioned dorms and, later, not enough bars.

- Whatever race, religion, sexual orientation you are, Delaware has a group for it. Although it was much more common to see people of the same race hanging out together, rather than interacting with other groups. I'm not saying interaction didn't occur--it did--but it was not uncommon to see a huge group of one ethnicity sitting together for food or walking on campus. - Most students wore jeans to class. Although, on a lot of the girls they were designer jeans, but that's a different story. -Most Delaware students are from the mid-Atlantic, particularly New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland and, of course, Delaware. When I met people from places like Colorado and Washington State, I was curious as to why they chose UD of all places. - Some are politically active, most are liberal. - I don't think people talked about future salaries, but then again I wasn't friends with frat boys.

Yes. But what college couldn't be deemed a party school? What matters is that most of the people I know were diligent about their work and are bright, motivated, and successful young adults. Some students obviously had money but it certainly wasn't the majority of the student body.

- Students leave dorm room doors open - EVERYONE goes to football games. Other sports, not so much. - Dating? Funny. People hook up, they don't date. If they do date, it's usually pretty serious. - I met my closest friends in my dorm sophomore year. - If you're awake at 2am on a Tuesday you're A) at Wawa getting study fuel; B) At the bar if you're a senior. - Homecoming is in the fall. It's kind of a big deal. - For those people who drink, they tend to go out 2-3 nights per week. If you're a senior, 3 is a minimum. - Saturday nights could involve movies, student plays, athletic events, student group charity events. I'm drawing a blank on anything else. - Off campus? There's the mall...

- Professors knew my name, but I often participated in class. - Some students study for hours and hours a day, some only study when they have an exam. - As an English major, class participation was often a part of my course grade but even then some people had to be nudged to speak up. - Yes UD students have intellectual conversations outside of class. - To my knowledge, students were only self-competitive. - Academic requirements were pretty easy, just take one math, one English and several courses in different themed groups. - Delaware should require an internship and/or co-op in your field of study to graduate. - I did not spend time with professors outside of class. I think people would call you a nerd for doing that... - My journalism classes were aimed toward getting a job, whereas my English classes were much more academic.

Delaware has been called a party school and it's known to have a lot of wealthy students from the Main Line--affluent suburbs of Philadelphia--and Long Island.

Great college town, and university is continually growing and improving.

Great college town, and university is continually growing and improving.

Student body is mostly composed of students from the Northeast and would say campus is made up of students from middle class or upper middle class backgrounds. Students are social but population is rather uniform.

While a lot of partying does go on at UD, I never felt that it was more than what goes on at any large state school, and if you are not into that scene, you certainly can avoid it. However, if you are interested in being very involved in some kind of political organizations or activities, UD might not be the best place for you.

Big party school Apathetic study body

Football games are a fun event at UD. Greek life is rather popular but the majority of students do not belong to a fraternity or sorority. Most social life centers around the bars and restaurants on Main Street and house/apartment parties.

Class size is dependent on major, but professors are mostly very accessible. Would also say that while many students take their studies very seriously, you are not likely to hear deep, intellectual conversations outside of the classroom.

Lee

When I tell people I went to UD, some are impressed, but I've gotten a few that said "Where is that?" "Um....Delaware." "Where's that?" "South of NJ." "Ohh." So that's always fun. I think there's a lot of school pride. I never saw more students wear more school paraphenalia than when I went to UD.

Most UD students are from PA, NY, NJ, and DE. I think students are predominately left winged.

UD was great. Going there was one of the best decisions of my life.

I have one or two professors who knew my name. But it's an effort to talk to them, especially if you're a psych major with 200 other kids in your classes. Favorite class was expository writing. Lease favorite: measurements & statistics. Most unique class: psychopathology in the movies, we watched movies and ate pizza once a week. it was great. The psych department isn't very personal. We don't have advisors, so getting help is a bit rough, plus, the grad student I tried to see was never in the office during office hours. I think UD is more geared towards learning for its own sake, at least the classes I took were. I mean, Biological Evolution? Interesting class, not helpful for a real-person job.

I was involved in intramural soccer (so much fun!) and Kappa Alpha Theta (great experience). If I was awake at 2am on a Tuesday, I probably just took a break at Dunkin Donuts from studying for a test. When I lived in a dorm, it was the honors dorm, and those doors close by themselves, so my door was always closed by default.

abercrombie and fitch kids. all from long island.

Katie

- Best thing- the campus - Change- Laird campus being so disconnected from everything - People are impressed that I go to UD and hear that it's getting harder and harder to get accepted into. - I live off campus and spend most of my time there. My first year here I lived in Pencader, so I felt VERY disconnected from the university. - There is a lot of school pride here, I love that.

I wish there were things/groups/articles to get me more politically aware of what is going on in the world. I don't have time to watch the news, so it would be nice to read about it in a school newspaper article.

Yes, most girls here look the same, it's a shame...You should learn to be yourself in college, not try to fit in and look like everybody else.

All of my MUSIC professors know my name. The music department is very close here, and I love that!

The classic sorority girl- big sunglasses, UGGS, leggings.

Jenna

The size is really ideal. There are enough people so that you always have the opportunity to meet new people. However, there are definite circles which make the school feel smaller and less overwhelming. People are either impressed by UD since it's reputation as an academic institution is getting stronger or they aren't all that impressed because it's a state school.

All experiences are positive. Most students wear jeans or are very casual. They get more dressed up to go out.

There is not much in the way of diversity. However, the students don't all come from upper middle class to upper class backgrounds as many people assume.

The student body is completely white and there is no diversity.

Professors know your name as you get to smaller classes in junior and senior year.

Most popular groups are probably athletic ones, scpab, and Rubber Chickens.

Steve

UD is a great mid-sized school that offers something for everyone. With nearly 16,000 undergrads, it's not a small school, but it's also not overwhelmingly large like Penn State. UD has a beautiful campus that features a vibrant main street running directly through it. In my opinion, Newark, Del., is your textbook definition of a college town. Football games are the best example of students showing off their school pride. Everybody always wears their blue and gold. Racial tensions always seem to be a big issue, mainly because of the state's history as well as the university's relatively small black population.

Different racial/religious groups tend to seclude themselves within their own groups. It's just how it is. I don't think it's a racist issue, I just think people are more familiar hanging out with their own kind. Different kinds of students do interact, but you definitely see certain groups segregate themselves in the student center and dining halls. Students are typically left wing, but politics aren't discussed that much on campus.

Students follow the news and have a general understanding of what's going on concerning university news and politics. However you will have a hard time finding students protesting on UD's campus. Students just don't care that much...The girls are incredible, no doubt about that...More than 60% of the student body is comprised of out-of-state students, which is a good thing because the school lowers its standards when admitting in-state students. Nevertheless, there is a definite distinction between an in-state student and a townie. While many in-state students may not be as smart as out-of-state students, it is not fair to label them townies. Townies are junkies who don't go to college, but still like to linger around campus. They like to squawk at university girls while showing of their tall-tees and backward hats. Gross, and yes, the townie stereotype is accurate.

I don't think UD professors are any different than professors at other institutions. Classes are what you make of them. If you are willing to introduce yourself to the professor, participate in class, go to office hours, etc, you will develop a great relationship with your prof. I didn't particularly care for the history department, but I loved the journalism professors. They are great people and were always available for any questions I had. I still stay in touch with them, which is definitely a testament to their teaching styles and overall personalities. UD's academic requirements kind of suck. Too many breadth requirements and not enough flexibility to take free electives. Personally, I think the education at UD was geared toward learnings for its own sake and did not exactly gear toward getting a job. I got my job based on my previous internships and job experience, not exactly because of UD's education.

Every dorm experience I had was incredible. People always had their doors open and their was always someone to mess around with at 4 am. Each dorm has a different stereotype, so a prospective student should research each dorm and request the ones that fit their personalities. Frats and sororities do have a big precense on campus, but you don't need to be in one to have a good college experience. Delaware can be a party school if you want it to be. There are always parties going on, but there are also campus activities available for students. In addition, Newark is pretty close to Baltimore and Philly for other activities.

The student body is generally apathetic, UD girls are hot and townies suck - it's as simple as that.

john

The best thing about UD... The people are great, the campus is beautiful.. The schoool was the perfect size... When I tell people I went to UD they usually know someone who went there as well, friend or family member.

There are definitely segregated dorms, and housing. there are historically african american frats, but at the same time there is a lot of good mixing going on. Racism is a non issue in general however.

Some classes are huge, but in your major everything is very personal. People take you seriously, and prepare you for the real world.

I dont know about clubs or groups. I was pretty involved in my major and spent a large portion of my time hanging out in the studio. My friends I met from dorms, and classes for the most part

University of Delaware administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.