Newark, DE
University of Delaware

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Delaware

john

The best thing about UD... The people are great, the campus is beautiful.. The schoool was the perfect size... When I tell people I went to UD they usually know someone who went there as well, friend or family member.

There are definitely segregated dorms, and housing. there are historically african american frats, but at the same time there is a lot of good mixing going on. Racism is a non issue in general however.

Some classes are huge, but in your major everything is very personal. People take you seriously, and prepare you for the real world.

I dont know about clubs or groups. I was pretty involved in my major and spent a large portion of my time hanging out in the studio. My friends I met from dorms, and classes for the most part

Jesse

LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS SCHOOL. THE END.

LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS SCHOOL. THE END.

LOTS of religious diversity here.

Great place. Get involved on campus if you choose UD! It's very rewarding!

The drinking/partying isn't as prevalent as it's made out to be. It's there, just not to the extent people think it is.

Everyone leaves their door open in the residence halls. Football events are popular. Men's basketball is a big event too.

Most of them do eventually learn your name, even if they do forget it after the semester's through. Studying is a big part of life here. It's becoming a very competitive school.

It's a party school. It's a quaint stereotypical college town

Jason

Best thing is the girls...dang they are attractive worst thing?-->bus system, horrible Townies are dangerous and annoying

UD chicks are hot...mostly true We have a good business program...true Girls are pretty easy...definitely true We don't know how to party...clearly haven't been to any of ours

Yes, I am a very active student The Math department sucks the finance department is pretty good

Leave dorm doors open if you are on my floor...no one did sophomore year, and my roomate and I made everyone...am still friends with 90% of them today!

UD chicks are hot We have a good business program Girls are pretty easy We don't know how to party

Jordan

UD was definately four of the best years of my life. It was not only fun but extremely educational. The faculty are amazing and the people are just as great. It's friendly and reminds me of what a "true college campus" is. I learned a lot and had even more fun. Most importantly, I made some of the best friends I will ever have.

All of these questions have extremely varied answers. There are so many different types of people and religions at UD. It's a very diverse campus and there's a little something for everyone. The only differentiation is with certain clubs and definately greek life. Most of those in greek life separate themselves from others. Most students, as stated before, are wealthy.

Many of the girls are, but not all of them

Rich, New York and New Jersey girls, stuck up, snotty, beautiful

It depends on how big your class is if the professor will know your name. It also depends on if you go to office hours, which are offered for every class. Most of my professors knew my name because I was extremely involved with my classes. It is up to you if they will know you're name or not. Class participation is definately common and I spent time with many professors outside of class. However, this is not common. My favorite class was marketing research and statistics, and my least favorite class was definately economics because of the dificulty level. UD got me two jobs, and I am extremely grateful.

The most popular groups are greek life, Blue Hen Ambassadors, and little clubs such as the running club, yoga club, and sports teams. I was involved with Alpha Phi and the Blue Hen Ambassadors and I absolutely adored both. It is all in what you make of it. Neither of those groups became my life, and I still hung out with people outside of those groups. I always locked my door but many left it open. I do not trust anyone and there was a rapist and murderer on the loose two out of the four years I was there. Dating is basically non-existent...at least out of our group of friends. Most people just go to parties, get drunk, and hook up. There isn't really a "dating" scene. I met all of my friends in my dorm freshman year...and we are all still best friends. We stayed in a great deal and watched TV and movies. When we turned 21 you would most likely find us at the bar or out getting food after.

Kristen

I would change how strict parking is, you can't even go to the gym and park unless you have a parking permit. The school is just the right size, however the gyms and fitness facilities could be a lot larger because they cant accommodate all the students. When people hear that I go/went to UD they are impressed, some have called it "a diamond in the ruff" I spend most of my time in McKinly lab in the physical therapy department because I am now a PT grad student here. This is definately a college town, Main Street makes it. UD's administration professor-wise I think is excellent. When it comes to administration and dealing with people such as residency chairs, financial aid people, etc. I have had poor experiences with them and find them a little rude. There is a ton of school pride here. Example is how many people made the trip to Chattanoga, TN to cheer on the football team this fall in the superbowl. The experience I will always remember was my time I spent studying abroad in Peru and Australia and New Zealand. Most frequent student complaints deal with the lack of gym space.

I was not involved in any groups on campus aside from different intermural sports, if that counts. Most students are in sweats during early morning and afternoon classes, but there are those few that are always dressed up. Different types of students definitely interact. Four tables in the dining hall: 1= group of girl friends, 2= group of boys on same hall, 3= friends from high school all going to UD, 4= mix of boys and girls. Most students at UD I think are from out of state, the NJ, NY, PA and MD area. Middle class financial backgrounds to upper middle class I would say are present. Students are for the most part politically aware and active, some more than others. I believe students do discuss how much they will earn one day.

I studied abroad in Australia/New Zealand during the winter session of 2006 and it was by far the best experience of my life. Not only did I learn a lot and see an amazing part of the world, but I met and became friends with people that I know I will be friends with forever. It was also a great experience because coming back and starting the spring semester I had made 35 new friends and there was atleast one of them in everyone of my classes. It was great to know more people around campus and the bump into people everywhere I went. I am the strongest advocate of UD's study abroad program, and I wish that I could have experienced it more than just twice. I do not feel it should be a graduation requirement to study abroad, but I believe everyone who is interested should take full advantage of what UD has to offer because it is very unique and unforgettable.

Not completely. Greek life is popular but it is not the only thing going on around campus.

That it is a highly greek party school

Greek life is probably the most popular organization on campus, intermural sports are pretty popular too. I've played IM indoor and outdoor soccer, softball, and dodgeball, it was very fun each time. Would definitely do it again. Almost everyone leaves their doors open in the dorms. Athletic events are pretty popular, mostly the football, mens basketball and lacrosse games. I met my closest friends from undergrad through people on my hall who had friends from high school that were also going here. 2am on a tuesday if I was up, I would either be studying or hanging out with friends. Frats and sororities are not terribly important. If its something you choose to do, there are many other people who choose to as well, and many others who its not their thing. Last weekend I went out with friend and to Baltimore. On saturday instead of drinking you can go bowling, go out for pizza, stay in with friends and watch a movie, go to the movies... there are many options. I do all those previous activities off campus

As a grad student all my professors know my name, as an undergrad very few of them did. My favorite class was an anthropology class I took about Human Evolution and the Fossil Record. My least favorite was either physics or organic chemistry. Some students study a lot, others not much at all. Class particiaption is sometimes common depending on the size of the class. The biology department was great. The biology undergraduate advisor was so helpful when it came time to pick classes and plan out your schedule for years to come. I took a summer physics class and I spent time outside the classroom with my professor then. Now in grad school I spend more time out of class with many of my professors as well. I feel UD's academic requirements are reasonable if not a little lower than they could be, and I feel I got an excellent education at UD and was well prepared for grad school or to take on the real world and getting a job.

Caitlin

The best thing about UD is the way it's integrated into the center of Newark. Main Street runs right down the middle of campus and it's a great place to spend time between classes and on weekends. The school is the perfect size, not too small but not impossibly huge. When I tell people I go to UD, they usually think I go to school on a farm in lower Delaware with 10 other students. They have no idea that the campus is gorgeous and the school is a pretty decent size. The biggest recent controversy on campus was the ResLife diversity scandal. There's tons of school pride but not when it comes to basketball (where you usually expect it).

There are tons of diverse groups on campus. Some of the ones dedicated to promoting specific minorities can get pretty in your face at times, but I would say most of these groups have good purposes and interests. Black students most commonly say they feel out of place on this campus, but I think that's changing. There's a UD girl uniform that's worn to class: black leggings, UGGS, and a black Northface jacket. The girl who wears this also usually has her hair pulled back by some kind of large black headband. Different types of students do interact, but not as much as they probably do on other campuses. Most UD students are from the East Coast. The states with the most representations are New York and New Jersey, but Pennsylvania, Maryland and Delaware are high up there. A lot of students seem to be wealthy, but a lot more are definitely taking out loans to be here, including me. Students aren't really politically aware or active... we've been called the most apathetic campus.

Definitely not. The campus is (slowly) becoming more diverse, we come from all over the East Coast, and the business program is just one good program we have.

That we're all rich and white, that we come from New York or Jersey only, that we're all here to major in business

Professors know my name in classes for my major, but not usually in classes outside my major. My favorite class thus far has been a topics class in journalism, taught by McKay Jenkins. It was called "The Journalism of Genocide," and it literally changed my life. My least favorite class thus far has been Biblical and classical lit with John Brockmann. I'm dumber for every minute I spent in that class. The amount that students study completely depends on personal motivation and the weather. If it's warm and sunny out, I wouldn't expect to find many people studying. Class participation is common, but often dominated by the stereotypical obnoxious kid who raises his hand entirely too much and thinks he knows everything. UD students do have intellectual conversations outside of class, but I overhear way too many stupid conversations to make it an even balance. I wouldn't call us competitive students. The most unique class I've ever taken is the journalism class I referenced before. My major is English with a concentration in journalism, and I probably would like it a lot less if I wasn't in the journalism concentration. Journalism grounds it and gives it a lot more of a practical feel. I don't spend time with professors outside of class. Sometimes I think UD's academic requirements are a little slack. The education at UD is geared toward getting a job... at least mine is.

I don't think there are really groups that are considered "popular." I'm involved with The Review, the university's independent student newspaper. It's a big time commitment but great experience if you're going into journalism, plus you're likely to end up with some pretty awesome friends after spending so much time with the staff. Only students in freshmen or East Campus dorms tend to leave their doors open... those are the only ones that stay open without being propped. Football games are really popular and basketball games suck. Guest speakers and theater just vary... it depends on what crowd they're trying to appeal to. There's always a huge variety so you're never without something to go see if you want to go see something. Dating scene? No one dates. I wish people dated. I met my closest friends in a variety of ways. Some of them I knew in high school and became much closer to in college. Some of them I met on my hall freshman year. Some of them are friends from organizations I'm a part of. If I'm awake at 2 a.m. on Tuesday, I'm either doing homework or watching something worthless on MTV. Homecoming is a big tradition. People party pretty frequently. The older you get, the more likely you are to go out on a weeknight. Fraternities and sororities are important to people in fraternities and sororities. I'm not sure how much they affect the rest of the student body. Last weekend I went out both Friday and Saturday night. I spent Saturday and Sunday daytime working at The Review office. There are tons of things to do on a Saturday night that don't involve drinking. SCPAB shows two movies in Trabant. You can bowl at the alley on Main Street. You can go shopping at the Christiana Mall or in Philly. You can stay in and play Nintendo or watch movies with your friends. I spend plenty of nights in. Off campus, I like to go out to dinner at all the great local restaurants around here and shop.

doug

I came here essentially not knowing anyone but by the end of the first week i met a whole different array of people and met some of my closest friends since i've been here. I like the atmosphere that surrounds UD the most, i love how cleanly and modern the campus is and it just personifies a welcoming aura.

Just like any place there are many different cultured people, in personality and physicality.

I was lucky enough to be placed on a dorm floor that everyone liked to interact with the others around them. Every night, it seems, i am up until at least 1 am and interacting with the people around me willingly. People seem to party fairly often and i believe that fraternities play a big role on campus because of the extra curricular events that they plan around campus and the community service and help they provide to the community that surrounds them.

The professors know my name. Overall the classes i take are larger lectures which would make it difficult to ask certain questions without the class being interupted, but the professors have open office hours and TA's that are always there to help.

Theres been a lot of rumors going around about us being racist and not playin del state cause their essentially all african american.

jen

best thing about UD is chi omega. one thing i'd change is the strike policy. i think it makes people scared to do the right thing (like call an ambulance when someone is seriously in bad shape), i think the size is just right. people say "oh that's a party school" when i tell them I go to UD. i spend most of my time on choate street and and klondike kate's, COLLEGE TOWN, i think the administration is just great, biggest recent controversy- not too sure, NOT ENOUGH SCHOOL PRIDE. football games are semi- lame compared to other schools. unusual- that depends on your personal opinion. i think it is pretty standard "college", one experience i'll always remember is pledging a sorority, most frequent student complaints: mine are the advisement within colleges and the "strike" policy. doesn't make people want to do the right thing.

sports themes and greek life. i am involved with chi omega and it is the classiest group of women i've ever known. yes- doors open in dorms. athletic events- just football, NO DATING SCENE. guys don't believe in dates. i met my closest friends in my freshman dorm (not floor) and my sorority. 2 am on a tuesday i am usually coming back from 90s night at kate's. traditions/events= homecoming, greek week. people party every day, greek life is important to me because i am a part of it. last weekend i went home (had to). i'm not sure what you can do on a sat. night without drinking. hang out with friends? off campus, mall, restaurants.

Adrian

People are always impressed when you say you go to UD. Its known as a very good school by most professional communities. The school is just the right size. Campus is not too big at all, and the number of people is not bad at all. Personally, I chose delaware over penn state because of its size. Newark, DE is a college town. The surrounding areas are a little bit shady in some spots. But even those aren't bad. There is only one real "main street." The bars around are just average, and personally I'm not a big fan. But there are always things going on like house parties and stuff like that. The most persistant complaint is the three strike policy. This is a policy that says if you get in trouble with the university (or with the Newark police) for three instances than you get put on differed suspension, which means you get kicked out. This policy sucks, because the cops around the area suck.

As stated before, you can find just about anything on campus. ANYTHING!!!!

There are plenty of good looking girls here at delaware, in fact I think the ratio between guys and girls is like 60% girls and 40% guys.

At UD most of your classes with be large freshman year, and then get smaller as you get older. But other than that, your education is how ever you want it to be. I know people that never miss a class and people that never go to class, and both can survive. Its all up to you. You can get to know your professors if you want to, through office hours or becoming active with undergrad research, or simply by participating. Overall its what you make of it. The engineering department was very good. i think that the classes are scheduled so that you can graduate with as little hassle as possible. The only problem I had was with the senior design project, which is not up to par with other school's senior design projects (Civil/Environmental Department).

There are all sorts of club sports (for us that did not want to play for colleges), and organizations. On campus the greek life is only about 20% of the student body. So its not so big, but is plenty evident if thats what you want to get into.

Kevin

I'd say the size of Delaware is just right. It's big enough where that there's room to be involved in an array of school sponsered activities and meet a wide range of students. But it's small enough that after a semester you can feel at home there and by the end of your four years you'll see many familiar faces on the walks to class and around campus. UD used to be known as a "party school" which results in some somewhat negative reactions when people hear that I went to UD. Partying is pretty prevalent on campus but it really has shifted away from being a "party school." Having worked in admissions, I can say that UD gets more selective every year and is rising in the ranks academically. The party scene is there if you want it but there is plenty of opportunity to get a respectable education. I believe its academic status will overshadow its former reputation in the years to come. Newark, DE is a college town. Some people may see this as a negative as you may not seem to escape the college atmosphere. I enjoyed it after moving off campus because while you acquire independence odds are your friends are living in a house down the street. Since there's such a high percentage of students living off campus, there is great opportunity to meet your neighbors. Recent controversy on campus would probably be security in Newark, DE. Several muggings, among other incidents, make it a little sketchy to walk around Newark alone at night. I would say walking directly on campus is generally safe, as there are more security measures in place. The football team has been quite competitive recently (they won the championship in 2003.) Consequently, there is school pride on campus but I wouldn't say it's overwhelming. The games give you something to do on weekends and are usually a good time. I wouldn't say there is anything particularly unusual about UD. You could probably have similar experiences at serveral schools around the same area. My overall experience at UD was positive. The size of and activities at UD, as well as the general atmosphere, make it easy to make new freinds. While I received a good education and enjoyed my actual time spent on campus, I've found that it's the specific friends I met that made my college experience as good as it was.

I would recommend becoming active in some activity. There's the frat/sorority scene and club sports which can help you make lots of friends but may end up dictating your social life as well. Otherwise, there are plenty of clubs to join and you and your friends can start an intramaural sports team. These can give you things to do but won't necessary overwhelm you.

You definitely get that dynamic at UD but it's big enough where you are able to find your own niche.

Classes I had were usually pretty big, so you probably won't always have a close relationship with your professors. Workload really depends on what major is selected from a wide range. I think I walked out with a respectable degree (Civil Engineering) but I would have liked more school support in helping me acquire internships/job after graduation. There are some resources but I've found you're pretty much on your own.

White, upper middle class, ambercrombie wearing kids who drink a lot.

University of Delaware administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.