Newark, DE
University of Delaware

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Delaware

Kathryn

I love UD because it is not too small and is not to big. It has so much diversity and any individual can grow and achieve their life goals. There are an infinite amount of opportunites here at UD and I wish I took the time to experience more of them. After having joined a sorority I have truly met some of my best friends for life. It does make the campus smaller and sometimes I feel like im limiting myself to one group but there are only so many people you can meet. UD has a great reputation and no one has ever said something bad about this school to me. There is a ton of school pride especially with our football teams recent success. I have had so many wonderful experiences here and I hope that I can only continue to add to these memories.

I feel that i have a bias opinion in terms of this question. I dont go to the dining halls so this scenerio really isnt normal to me. I have seen many different races on campus but for the most part i am surrounded by middle/upper class caucasian students. My town is very small and wealthy with not much diversity so all the different faces here was shocking at first but is now refreshing.

For the most part I think some of them are true but it is hard to judge.

For the most part my professors do not know my mine except for my French class because it is so small. My favorite class right now is comm 345 because it involves my major as well as criminal justice which I find very interesting. In most classes that are lectures there really is not class participation how ever my foreign language classes have always been very involved. The most unique class I have taken is criminal justic because I did not expect to enjoy it as much as I did. I am currently a communications interest and I enjoy it very much. I think it is kind of rediculous that students have to get into the major because if you do not get in you are basically lost in terms of an academic path. Thankfully i have been very successful with this major and hope to get into it after this year. I think that the education here is geared towards what ever you want it to be geared towards. What you do personally with your academics will take you in a certain direction.

Being in a sorority there are a lot of stereotypes that are apparent. Each sorority and fraternity has its own cliches attached.

I am involved in the sorority Chi Omega. It is a very well respected, classy organization. People might have a distorted vision of sorority life but i live it first hand. I live in the sorority house and it can sometimes be too much. I dont like a lot of drama but i think that is just part of being a girl. I am a very social person and i do like to party but my grades are very important to me. I have formed amazing bonds with people outside and inside my sorority so i feel very lucky. I wish i went to more sporting events because it was such a huge part of my life in high school. Honestly there are things to do other than drinking but for the most part i feel like thats what the majority of this campus chooses to do on the weekends.

Terry

-The best thing about the school is the campus. -I would change the dining halls and make them better. -Just right. -People tend to hear mainly good things about UD. -I spend my time on campus primarily at my house or my friends houses. Sometimes trabant and other than that at class. -College town, hands down. -I think the strike system is flawed and the administration has a lot of room for improvement but UD is a great school regardless.

-All of my professors know my name, its pretty cool. -HRIM is the best department there is. No question.

I think a more competitive football team would really give the school a huge boost. It's a big school with a small town feel, which I think is perfect. Big enough so you don't know everyone but small enough to feel as though you belong, that it's home. Main Street is great, very accessible for students and fun options to eat, shop, drink. Perfect for bar crawls. The campus is beautiful and the walk from Perkins to Memorial in the Spring or Fall is the best way to put a smile on your face.

Students are very trendy-- typical Ugg, North Face, designer jean combo. Not necessary to fit it but it is kind of the norm. Students are predominately left but not very politically active unless they are studying politics or related subjects.

Delaware is full of students who didn't get into their first choice. We all agree it's the best choice we never made. Delaware may have been a bit of an accident but it's the best thing that has happened to me.

These types seem to have a big presence at the school but a by no means the majority. There really is a group of people for everyone.

Students are pretty school conscious and dedicated to their schoolwork. It definitely doesn't dictate our college experience. Students are more supportive than competitive. Would rather create a collaborative effort than a cut throat environment. The Honors Program is the best way to have classes where professors care about their students. Definite perks.

Intelligent wealthy kids from New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and the surrounding area.

I'm in a sorority so I am very partial to Greek Life. I think Greek Life at UD makes the University smaller because you meet a lot of people and get very involved. In the dorms all the doors are always open, there is a very friendly environment. Freshman floors are family. There is not much a dating scene but hooking up is huge. it is not uncommon for hooking up to lead to relationships and plenty are people are in some stage of a relationship.

Jen

The best thing about the University of Delaware is how all of the students love life. Everyone I have met here genuinely just enjoys living and a good time. Whether students are at a football game or eating lunch at Trabant, they love Delaware and the best friends they have met here.

Since the University of Delaware is not that diverse, many times the campus can seem "segregated" based on cultures. Unfortunately, many students have negative experiences with racism and hate crimes.Also out of state students and in state students often do not get along as well.

Yes, for the most part, but there also is a pretty big population of in-state students.

The professors are generally great- really interested in helping their students succeed and learn. They make an attempt to get to know each student- even in the large lecture halls. While Delaware isn't as academic as an Ivy League school, the majority of students are interested in doing well because they are driven. Also, Delaware has wonderful resources to support students in succeeding.

Greek life and sports teams are prevalent as social centers, especially in parties. I am in a sorority which I pledged sophomore year and since then it has given me so many social opportunities- not just on the weekends but all week long. Most people meet their friends through clubs or on their floor freshman year and stay friends throughout school. Most of all, Delaware is a party school in every sense of the word and on any given night (even Mondays) a party could be found.

The preppy, "Abercrombie and Fitch" kids. A lot of out of state students who are well off from New Jersey and New York.

Kristen

The best thing about UD is there are always new people to meet. I would change the singing in Trabant every Wednesday afternoon. I love how big it is. People always just ask how I like it. I spend most of my time in my apartment or in class. Main street is great but I wish there was more around here to shop. I don't really know anything about the administration. The last one I can think of was with the Cinco de Mayo party last year. I feel like our school pride could be improved. Nothing unusual. All of my experiences in Chi Omega. I don't hear that many complaints.

My sorority is great. i think there is something for everyone here. jeans or sweatpants. definitely. Most students are from Jersey NY or PA. I've never noticed financial backgrounds before. Some students are politically aware. Usually Left. not that I've ever heard.

frats and sororities and sports teams. my sorority is full of some of my best friends and I love everything we do together. I lived in Rodney and Harrington and mine was rarely closed. I go to every football game. I dont know about the dating scene in general. in my freshman dorm and through Chi O. trying to fall asleep or next door talking with my best friends. people party on the weekends usually. I think you can be in greek life and then it feels like its a big part of your life but if you're not in one it's not a huge deal, none of my rommates are in one. i went out with girls in my sorority.

Yes they do. My favorite class was my history 103 class and my teach knew all of our names and i really was interested in learning everything she had to talk about. My least favorite class was History 101 because my professor was horrible and mean and he made rude comments about women and would not let the students sniffle in his classroom. very often. I always participate. yes they do.

There are tons of stereotypes about those involved in greek life. Every sorority and fraternity has a reputation and people just assume that being a part of that organization mean that you are just like everyone else in it.

christine

i love that UD always has something going on. I think our school is a perfect size. If i could change one thing it would be that more people dormed. People are impressed when i tell them i go to UD. i spend most time in library a college town. there is a lot of school pride.

i believe a majority of our students do come from financially stable homes and i also believe UD students have traveled a lot.

that they are rich, wordly and open-minded

greek life is pretty big in UD. im involed in Chi omega. i think that dorms are 50% open, 50% closed. athletic events are somewhat popular.

professors are respectful to students. my favorite class is any class with professor shannon lennon edwards. least favorite is chem 101 with professor silver. i dont spend time with professors outside of class.

Bill

For the most part yes. I would say Greek life has grown tremendously since I came here in 2005

Girls as a collection are among the hottest. Big party school (dating back to when my parents were in college) Very strict on alcohol Police are uptight

Anna

i hate our gym... for school of over 15,000 undergrads its pretty lame. the treadmills are always broken, there's usually a line to even get in the door because they're over max capacity for the small two rooms its in... i pay enough money to this school that i shouldn't have to wait twenty minutes to get on a treadmill or fifteen minutes to even get in the gym. alot of people buy memberships to local gyms in the area but its annoying because most of them are not walking distance from campus and that's not something you should have to pay extra for.

the girls are really pretty and the guys are assholes because there are so many pretty girls that they dont have to appreciate them.

im in a small department so the professors know my name. usually freshman and sophomore year you're in big lectures so the professor's won't know your name...

Ryan

The best thing about UD is all the different people you get to meet. One thing i'd change is the size of the gyms provided by the university. UD is just the right size. I haven't really ever noticed a certain reaction of people when I tell them I go to UD. I spend most of my time in my apartment or at the gym. Newark is a college town. I don't have an opinion of UD's administration, I've never met any of the people that work there. There was a rapist on the campus who was breaking into girls' houses and waiting for them to come home, but he got caught last fall. There is a great deal of school pride here. I wouldn't say there is anything unusual about UD. One experience I'll always remember is joining my Fraternity. All the students that i've been in contact with say we need better Dining Halls.

I haven't had any problems with any "groups" on campus. My roommates are very similar to myself. I don't think any student would feel out of place here. Most students wear jeans and a t-shirt to class, although I wear sweatpants the majority of the time. Most people sit in the dining hall with people from their dorm floors. Most UD students are from New Jersey and Long Island. Financially i'd said the majority of students are upper middle class. My friends are very politically aware and active.

I would say that the majority of our students are white, and they definitely like to party.

They are upper-middle class white and like to party.

Professors of my smaller classes know my name. My favorite class right now is Physiology of Activity. It's my favorite because the teacher is very knowledgeable and nice, and it's interesting. My least favorite class is Neuromuscular Basics of Human Movement, because it's at 8 am in the morning. Class participation is common. UD students do have intellectual conversations outside of class. Students in my major are very competitive. Up to this point i haven't really taken any unique classes, but i'm looking forward to senior year.

Greek life is pretty popular on campus. I am in the Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity and I love it. When i lived in the dorms the only time my door wasn't open was when my roommate and I were both out. The athletic events aren't that popular outside of the football games. I met my current girlfriend here and we've been dating for 7 months. I wouldn't be awake at 2 am on a Tuesday because of my 8 am class on Wednesday morning. My closest friends are ones that i've made through being in my fraternity. People party a good amount here. Freshman year I partied much more than any other year. There are plenty of things you could do on a Saturday night besides drinking, I just think most people prefer to drink from a social aspect.

Kristen

The best thing about UD is that it feels like home. You immediately feel warm and welcome and like it's where you are supposed to be, and there's something for everyone. If I could change something, it would be how expensive it is. UD is just right. People are generally pleased when I say I go to UD and tell me it's a good school. Most of my time on campus is in class, or in my apartment with my roommates. It definitely has a college town. UD's administration is pretty good, and if you have a problem with someone, you can easily find someone else. The most recent controversy was the noose found in front of a building, or the ResLife situation. UD is HUGE on school pride. Nothing really unusual about UD. I'll always remember freshman year and meeting everyone. Most frequent complaint is the way to sign up for classes and there not being enough sections.

not really. not everyone is. some are, i suppose, but it's a standard college.

Professors know my name because I participate. My favorite class right now is my ENGL480 seminar, and my least favorite is EDUC414. Students' study times varies from student to student--some 7 hours or so a day to none. Class participation is big in smaller classes as opposed to lecture halls.

that it's a huge party school and everyone is a rich, stuck up party animal.

University of Delaware administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.