Newark, DE
University of Delaware

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Delaware

Melanie

Overall, I absolutely loved UD. I miss it so much-my friends, the college lifestyle, some professors, my apartment, my roommate, sorority involvement, and I miss everything about Main Street. UD is a great school-it's a beautiful campus, has a good reputation, plenty of resources for students, and plenty of fun to be had. I loved the size of the school-always new people to meet but you always had smaller groups of friends amongst 17,000+ students. When I look back on my college experience as a whole (which is really sad that I can do that now), I can't identify anything missing from UD. I honestly feel that I couldn't have made a better choice and I really miss being there!

I felt there were plenty of groups to make everyone feel comfortable on campus regardless of their race, sexuality, religion, etc. And if a group didn't exist, UD encouraged students to create it. I think anyone would find a niche at UD. I'd say the majority of UD students are from Delaware, NJ, and NY but I knew plenty of Bostonians and some people from other states and countries as well. Financially I'd say most students come from middle class backgrounds although you will find your affluent and also working class kids. Politically I'd say, as with most colleges, it is predominantly left, although again, I knew right wing students also.

Here's my advice-I'm in grad school now and it's not nearly as fun or exciting as college so... DO well in school and be responsible but spend lots of time with friends, make tons of memories, take lots of pictures, party, stay up late, and take the college scene for all it's worth because-I hate to say it-it's over before you know it. Best of luck wherever you may go!

Hmm, there are definitely a decent amount of NYers, and I'd say a fair share of Guidos, but not a ton. As for sororities and frats, some of the stereotypes ring true at times. And I did feel that there were plenty of goodlooking people on campus!

Stereotypes about all the New Yorkers who go to UD, Guido kind of guys, stereotypes about sororities/fraternities...and that UD has hot girls

I really enjoyed that I had a mixture of big lecture halls, and also classes with about 20 students. It was a great balance over the years. Professors knew my name, were helpful, and I had some very interesting classes (and some not so interesting!). I worked hard while I was in school, I did well, and it paid off. My Criminal Justice experience was pretty good, there was a decent amount of classes to choose from. I participated in a police ride along, watched court proceedings, and had a class for a semester that was made up of half students and half prisoners. Plenty of electives to choose from... Sometimes core requirements can be really annoying but really can't avoid that at any schools.

Plenty of sports teams-varisty, club, intramural. The pool at the gym is nice, but I'd say all the gyms leave much to the imagination-definitely need bigger and more gyms to accomodate for studnets-don't be shocked if there is occasionally a line to get into the gym--that is definitely an area of complaint. There's TONS of guest speakers, lecturers, events, fairs that one can go to. PLenty of sports events throughout the year. Dating scene-plenty of single people, plenty of ways to meet people. I did meet my closest friends in college. Have the dorm experience if you can, and maybe an apartment or house your junior and senior years.

Peter

Overall, I found the University of Delaware to be an extremely positive experience. I have no regrets whatsoever about my time at the school. I found the size to be just right, I could relate with a large majority of the student body. As a Geography major, I participated in a few projects in which I discovered the relations between the town and gown were not overly spectacular. While Delaware has all the components that make up a "college town," because of the poor relations between the student body and the local residents, I think it takes away from the feel of a college town. I think that the residents should have taken more pride in the school and conversely, the students should have given more respect to the community. In my opinion, building such a bond would increase the feeling of Newark as a "college town." At the same time, the local youth population in Newark and the surrounding areas created major animosity between the student body and the local population. "Townies" frequently created disturbances at UD gatherings and justifiably became stereotyped.

For the most part, I interacted primarily with the white student body. The african american students were mainly housed in the Christiana towers and therefore it created an invisible barrier between the students. More integration may have been helpful as it may have "expanded my horizons;" but of course where people live is by choice. Most UD students are from the east coast and despite some small differences (mainly in accents) we were all the same. People from Boston really aren't that different than New York, Philly and D.C. Most financial backgrounds were middle-upper middle class in nature. Most students were apathetic towards the political process and not much talk about future earnings.

I feel that academics at the University of Delaware are all about what you put into them. Because of the size of the school, it is hard to have a close relationship with all of your professors. However, that does not mean it is not possible to have any relationships whatsoever. I was able to create relationships with some of my journalism professors, but this took some effort on my part. As an English major working in finance now, I feel that all students should be required in some capacity to take at least an intro to finance, or some practical application to money outside of college. I took a program called the "Certificate of Business fundamentals" which I found extremely helpful towards getting me a job. I feel that at least one class related to this field is important because the tangible goal of attending college is to get a job. Before taking any of these classes, I did not have the faintest idea of personal finance; I didn't know what a stock was, what a 401k was or even how to handle my own money. Taking at least one of these classes would provide at a minimum basic knowledge for students so that when they do get a job, they are not overwhelmed by the money that associates it.

The only event on campus that brings the campus together is tailgating before a football game. Beyond that, small sectors may be interested in certain things but football games are the only times that the University stops, and everyone comes together. Not much can be done at UD not involving drinking.

The stereotype of UD students is that the majority of them are big partiers; but this is a stereotype of college students in general. Breaking it down a little further, there are many stereotypes--i.e. sorority girls w/ big glasses and ugg boots; frat guys; kids from jersey etc.

Kyle

The best thing at Delaware is the people. The professors are always open to discussion in the classroom and in office hours. The size of the school was perfect. I went to a much larger school as a freshman and never regretted transfering to a medium sized school. People don't think very high of the school right now (but that may be because I live in New York amongst NYU and Columbia graduates). I spent most of my time with friends. The school work wasn't ovrly intense so I was able to spend a lot of time hanging out in the dorms or in off-campus houses or bars. The current administration is a joke. I'm not sure about Harker as I wasn't there when he was, but many of the higher ups don't know how to handle controvoursey, racial relations or the media. The is a lot of school pride, which goes to the next question. The unusual thing about Delaware is that you feel like you are a part of something. I felt like I was part of a community with the students or professors. The one experience I'll always remember is hanging out at Grottos along the patio, drinking 22s between classes.

The student body is not very diverse so don't buy into their promotions about how they are trying to change that stereotype. That doesn't mean the people aren't great. I met my best friends on my first day on campus. I ran into my boss at The Review for the first time at party one night, so you never know who you might meet where.

Most of the students are from Delaware and middle to upper class. However it's not very difficult to find a niche as long as you look hard enough. The mixture of personalities is great.

As an underclassmen, you can't expect the professors to know your name unless you take the initiative to visit them during office hours. As a history major I was able to take a variety of classes, none of which were more difficult than I could handle. I took a class devoted to the JFK assasination, one on Paris and London of the previous 200 years and a couple of Modern Islam classes. I can't say enough about the journalism program. Because the school is close enough to Philadelphia, it draws a number of great speakers. I was taught by one of the best columnists at the Daily News and a former veteran sports writer. I listened to guest lectures from two ESPN columnists and one of the best style columnists in Philadelphia. The one thing Delaware didn't do was set me up with a job. The career services center is a joke and the best advice came from alum friends or professors. The jobs are out there and you'll know where to look but don't expect any one to hand you the oppourtunity.

There is a community for everyone. If you like to go out and get hammered, you'll find the right people. If you're a devout Catholic that despises alcohol, you can find the right people. If you like to study till 2 am, people will be around to do that with. If you like going out the night before a final exam, that can bee done as well.

We're all rich white kids with the last name Du Pont. Most of the students come from Delaware.

Brian

Best part of UD is the people and the education. Pretty strong. I'd change hours of pretty much everything at the university. Gym hours, dining hours, library hours. UD is pretty backwards at that. Just right. "You go to UD? Good school." In a classroom or at the gym. College town...Newark is awesome. They do a lot right but need more student input. FIRE. A lot of bullshit on FIRE's part. They slammed Harker when he deserved none of it. Yes. No. The partying. Food stinks, too much work.

Most kids that go here are white, preppy kids from Jersey. I don't think they're that apathetic but that's the stigma we get.

Nothing else really. There seems to be the stigma that we're all stuck up, bratty white kids but there's only a handful of kids truly like that. Most people I've met at pretty accepting.

For the most part, yes. But the apathetic part gets overblown.

We're white, we're apathetic and we drink a lot.

The Review. Good stuff. Depends on where you live and what year you are. No one cares who lives in there hallway as upperclassmen because you have a base of friends already. Football is popular, nothing else is. Depends on the speaker but not really. Met my friends through my floor, girlfriend, and the Review. Being bored cuz no one else is up. Homecoming/St. Patties Day/Cinco de Mayo are always huge days. St Patties day is the biggest. 3 days a week, at least, every week of the year. Not that important but they seem overwhelming at times. Partied. Movies in Trabant. Party.

Yes. If you try and go to class, they know you. Favorite: Politics and the media. Least: Bio and chem. Students study a lot I'd say. No one really fucks around with school work..they get it done. Yes. Yes but not all the time. I haven't heard it as I walk campus. Not really, unless its a drinking game. Philosophy of Modern Times: South Park. Good department. I wouldn't change any of it. No. Fine, I have no problem. A little of both.

Everything about UD is great--the friends I made, the campus, the classes and professors and the bars! Although UD is a large school, I never felt that it was too big, in fact, I felt like I knew everyone. You see the same people around all the time--it has a really small feel. One of my favorite things about UD was Main Street. Newark, DE, is definitely a college town. Main Street is loaded with good restaurants, shopping, bars, etc. I have absolutely nothing but good memories from my time at the University of Delaware. Some of the best times included day drinking at Grotto's on a nice day, Chapel Fest, BBQs and house parties and of course nights out at Kate's and Shaggy's (which is no longer there, sadly).

Coming from Long Island, NY, I felt right at home at UD. I would say it's a largely White/Christian/Jewish school, but not entirely. It could just be where I hung out and my major, perhaps. Most of the students you meet are either from New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania or Delaware, at least that is where the majority of my friends hailed from. I would also say most of the students are upper/middle class economic backgrounds. I never heard anyone talk about how much they'll earn one day--the focus wasn't on life after college and it shouldn't have been. College is too short to worry about the future!

I was very happy with the professors and academics in general. I was an English major with a concentration in Journalism. I loved my professors and especially the ones in my concentration. They definitely knew all our names and were very interested in helping to make sure we were learning as much as possible. I'm not sure which class was my favorite. I really enjoyed Biblical and Classical Literature (oddly enough, the professor is great) and also my Senior Seminar on American Classics.

I love the campus here I think the school size is perfect. Freshmen year the school felt huge, but by senior year you get to know a lot of people and the school feels a lot smaller. I spend most of my in memorial hall because that is where my classes are. It is definitely a college town. There is a lot of school pride, I love walking around campus and seeing people in UD t-shirts and sweatshirts, also going to school sporting events is a lot of fun. My favorite experience at UD was study abroad to Australia/New Zealand.

Students are usually from NY, NJ, PA, and MD. I dont pay attention to the financial stuff.

students in dorms left their ddoors open when I lived there. There are always guest speakers appearing on campus. People party Thursday, Friday, Saturday, ..... Tuesdays, Wednesdays... Sundays is there is a sporting event. Greek life isn't huge at UD, you can definitely get along with out it, however I love being involved in it, it was a great way to meet people and to help the campus feel smaller.

Once you get past freshmen year introductory lecture classes,Professors usually make a point of getting to know their students. I think the English EBT department is geared towards getting a job, I can not speak for the other departments. Some students are competitive, while others aren't. Most people participate in classes.

Jimbo

Delaware is essentially the perfect school - it's small enough that you run into people you know all the time, but it's also big enough that if you didn't want to run into someone (that one night stand's roommate who walked in on you), you can avoid them as well. There's a beautiful campus, great night life, and fun, relaxed people. Freshman and Sophomore years are fun, but I think you have the most fun after you move off campus, which I would HIGHLY encourage you to do for your Junior and Senior years. The thing I miss the most about Delaware is the girls - Delaware has an absurd porportion of attractive ladies. When "tanning" season is in, and it's a nice day, I'd highly recommend going for a walk around the beach haha.

As far as breakdowns for student body, it's mostly white, upper-middle class. I found that the minorities all seemed to group together for the most part. I have no idea why it was like this, but they all seemed to at least know each other and hang out. I don't think it was because of a racial or inequity problem as most students at UD are pretty understanding - it just was their preference. As far as attending UD, if you're quiet and shy, you may have some trouble making friends at first, but for the most part, unless you're a weirdo shut-in, the students at Delaware are all very friendly and will be happy to meet you. Your freshman year, keep your door and mind open, and you'll have no problem meeting new friends.

Delaware is an awesome time, and a great school. Managing your time will be your biggest challenge. I realize I had a unique experience because I could get by in classes without trying too hard. Know your limits, and if you can't drink 4 days a week and pass your classes, don't try. You're there for an education, but having a good time is going to come with it. It won't be a good time if you fail out. It's better to stay in one weekend and pass your classes than to go out and ruin your life.

Yeah... we're friggin college students who aren't hippy bums. Get over it. There are groups for people interested in those things, but thankfully Delaware isn't too caught up in them.

I was in a fraternity at UD, and it was actually a bit of work. There were tons of mandatory events and stuff, but it also was the best one (highest rated) on campus. If you're looking to join one purely for drinking, you can find one that would better suit you. If you want brotherhood, challenges, drinking, and bonding, you can also find one that suits you.

I'll explain to you my academic experience at UD (which probably is not too common). I went to each of my classes about once a week, and I maintained a 3.0 to keep my academic scholarship through all 4 years. I never went to classes on Thursdays or Fridays, with the exception of days when I had tests, quizes, or the occassional professor who took attendance and wouldn't be fooled by my friends signing me in. Of course, with each major it's different, and few people dared to miss as much class as myself. As far as studying is concerned, it varied from class to class, ranging from no studying to at most 5 hours the night before an exam. Typically, I'd spend an hour or two the night before looking things over, but it hardly is normal for UD students to do this.

They're very apathetic to politics and other "important" things.

Elena

The best thing about UD is the location. I love how I can be home in an hour. It's also only a few hours away from Washington, D.C., Baltimore, Philadelphia and New York. I think the size is just right. I graduated with 750 other seniors, so I was used to large classes and many students. I also came from the suburbs so I was used to being in a town. (Actually, I think Newark is smaller than my hometown.) I spend most of my time in my apartment and the library. When I was in the dorms, though, I spent some time studying on The Green. It's really beautiful during the Spring. It is definitely a college town. On the weekends on Main Street, you'll see all the 21-year-olds and older going to the bars. I think UD's administration is doing an okay job. I don't really have any complaints. The biggest recent controversy on campus was the whole FIRE-diversity training thing. There are people on campus who have a lot of school pride and people who don't. But I think for the most part, people do have school pride. Homecoming is always fun.

I have belonged to Asian clubs on campus, since I am half Chinese. I feel comfortable on campus, but I have noticed that it is not very diverse. I came from a diverse high school, though, so I may have another perspective than other students. I think minority students could feel out of place, or students who are LGBT. I think most students on campus are from middle class, white families. Most students wear preppy clothes to class. I don't usually see many trendsetters. I think most students shop at Banana Republic, Abercrombie & Fitch, J. Crew and stores like that. Yes, different types of students interact. Most UD students are from East Coast. I think most students are from New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, etc. I think some students are politically aware and active. Not many, though. I think there is a mix of left, right and center students. Yes, students talk about how much they'll earn one day and I think it's in line with what other college students make after they graduate.

To an extent. I think all colleges are party schools - even Harvard, MIT and Yale. You're going to have a party wherever you have 18-year-olds on their own.

I'm involved with The Review this year. I was once involved in all the Asian clubs, but my friends who were in them have since graduated and the clubs fell apart. Students do leave their dorm doors open in the Freshman dorms. I'm in an apartment now, and I wouldn't feel secure leaving my dorm open. Athletic events are popular, but mostly because the games involve drinking. Guest speakers are somewhat popular. Theater is somewhat popular. I haven't been involved in the dating scene because I've had a boyfriend throughout college. I met my best friends during the first week of freshman year - it's the best way to meet your best friends! It was the best advice I got about college. If I'm awake at 2 a.m. on Tuesday, I would probably be studying. Usually, I'm in bed at that time, though, because I have a 10:10 a.m. on Wednesdays. Homecoming is a HUGE tradition. I love tailgating. People party 2-4 times a week. Fraternities and sororities are somewhat important. I'm not in one, though, and neither are my friends. I think you can be in them or not, and it's okay either way. Last weekend, I went home for a night and then came back for a cocktail party on Saturday. There is not much you can do on a Saturday night that doesn't involve drinking. I've been going out every weekend since Sophomore year. I guess you could go to the movies with friends or go out to eat. I usually go to the mall or Borders. They're both close.

Yes, all my professors know my name. But I think this is because I have smaller classes and am a Senior. My favorite classes have been with Professor McKay Jenkins. Those classes were Literature and the Environment (ENGL480) and Journalism and Genocide (ENGL409). He's an amazing person and he has changed my path in life. I study at least three to five hours a day, but sometimes more. Class participation is common in my classes, but I think this is because I'm in English classes. I think UD students have intellectual conversations out of class. I think it depends on your group of friends, though. Students are not too competitive. The most unique class I've taken is probably Journalism and Genocide. I do spend time with professors outside of class, but I think this is because I'm doing research with Professor Jenkins. I also work at The Review, so I tend to see professors because of that as well. I think UD and the journalism department has definitely prepared me for getting a job. I've already had job offers.

We drink a lot. We're a party school.

Cody

UD is a great place, I couldn't imagine a better college. The best thing about it is that it's both a large and small school. It's not too large that you get lost in the numbers but big enough that you don't feel suffocated. Also, Newark is a fun college town filled with bars and restaurants. The biggest problem with UD would definitely be the relationship between the students and the "townies." Newark has gotten much more dangerous in the past five years with crime increasing. It's not a bad place to live, students just have to be more cautious at night. The campus is beautiful and I'm sure living in dorms has gotten significantly better since the new complexes were built but I couldn't wait to move off campus. There are plenty of off-campus options.

Students at UD are not particularly passionate about anything (it was named one of the most apathetic campuses). There are still very active student groups on campus for almost every cause but overall, the majority of students are apathetic.

There is a significant lack of diversity on campus and the majority of students do come from Delaware, Maryland, or New Jersey.

Academics are getting better at UD. I didn't like the large classes that fulfilled breadth requirements for the College of Arts and Sciences. The best classes were the small, focused ones, particularly in the political science department that allowed students to do more than just write papers or sit in lecture halls. I have been in video conferences with Lebanese students and had wine and cheese with the US Ambassador to the United Nations.

Students at UD are very social. Greek life is popular but not necessary to having fun. The bars are definitely the center of social life in Newark. There is a special at every bar for every night of the week. Nacho nights at Kate's are one of the most popular. Homecoming and Saint Patrick's Day are huge day-long drinking events.

UD students are pretty homogenous. They all come from the mid-Atlantic region and similar socio-economic backgrounds.

Meg

The best thing about Delaware is the quintessential/classic college experience it offers. We have our little Main Street, beautiful green, large but not dominant Greek life, solid academics, a good bar scene and we surely know how to party. If I could change one thing I would switch the 60/40 girl/guy ratio in the other direction. Good guys are scarce. When I tell people I go to UD they either don't know much about it, have heard there is a good social life, or "have a friend who goes there as LOVES it!" I spend most of my time on Main Street. While I spent more time in Trabant while I lived on campus, not that I live off Main Street I definitely spend more time there. UD is definitely in a college town. I loved Roselle, the former president who just retired this summer, but jury's still out about Harker. He seems nice enough, but I'll wait to see what he does before I judge him. The biggest controversy of recent was the closing of The Stone Balloon, the historic bar and music venue. They had mug night every Thursday, and I think the bar scene took a hit when it closed. There is definitely a lot of school pride. Kids are proud to tell everyone they go to UD. Football games are fun, though many just make it to the parking lot to tailgate. When we went to the championship this year students traveled to Chattanooga TN to see the game. I can't think of anything that is too unusual. I will always remember watching the championship game at Grotto's (even though we lost horribly). The most frequent complaints are that there aren't enough bars on Main Street, we don't recycle, and it's not safe.

UDEL is extremely homogeneous. It is comprised almost completely of white middle to upper middle class kids. There are very few minorities represented at UD. Ethnic students may feel out of place. We have a LGBT population, but they are not prevalent. There aren't many different groups to interact so no, not really. In the dining hall the tables would be filled with a group of preppy girls in polo's or spandex, some fratty boys in polo's or T's, probably a mixed group of students in sweats, and another group of white middle class kids with maybe a token black student. Mostly UD students are from DE, MD, NJ, NY, (LONG ISLAND!) PA, New England, and a few from other places. The financial background is middle class to upper middle class with a few rich kids. Students are embarrassingly NOT politically active. No one seems to concerned with how much they'll make, but I bet some do.

Freshman year few professors knew my name, but not that I am a senior all my professors know my name. My favorite class is a politics in entertainment communication class. Our professor got her doctorate in political humor and we analyze the new, watch daily show clips, and joke around a lot in class. I hated calc freshman year, it was awful. I study when I have exams, but I don't send all my time doing work. Class participation is common, few intellectual conversations happen outside of class, and you can find your competitive students, but things are not cut throat here. My politics in entertainment communication class is probably my most unique. The comm department is small and competitive. You start for 2 years as a comm interest major and then after taking 4 core courses they put your "comm gpa" against everyone else's and take the top 100. I really like the professors & I like that it is small. I don't spent time with professors outside of class, but I know people that do. The requirements are a fine, a lot of breadth requirements though. I would say the education leans toward getting a job.

I am Greek, so I thing that Greek life is popular, and it is definitely growing. Students typically live on campus for 1 or 2 years and then off campus for 1 or 2. Students do leave their doors open in the dorms. Football has a solid following, but some other sports struggle to draw a crowd. There are a lot of speaks they get decent attendance & the theater is so-so. Most kids don't "date" but the hook-up culture is strong. I met my closest friends on my floor freshman year. If I'm not drinking, I am probably watching TV with friends. There are the "fests" that happen every year. Chapelfest, Skidfest, & Wilbur fest are just excuses for streets to shut town and everyone drink a lot. Greek week & homecoming are huge for Greeks. Homecoming is also huge for everyone. Most don't make it to the game. People party all the time. 10 a.m. on a Monday people are drinking- go to grotto's, you'll see. Greek life is only 15%ish and important, but you don't have to be Greek to party, drink, or have fun. I went to the bars, had sorority recruitment, and hung out with friends. They're movies at our student center, food on main street, but honestly, everyone drinks. We have a little main street which has food & some small shops.

UD was formerly known as a huge party school, but that has dissipated some. I think people generally know Delaware as a fun school that is getting tougher and tougher to get into.

University of Delaware administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.