Newark, DE
University of Delaware

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Delaware

Adam

I like the fact that they offer a lot of options of what courses you can take and how big the class sizes are. People generally regard UD as a good school for academics and I wouldn't argue with that. The town is nice, but we quickly run out of things to do. The administration is mostly concerned with getting our money. There is a plenty of school pride, although I would imagine UD is not that different from any other state school

Students here tend to be very casual and friendly. Most people are upper middle class kids from the Delaware/New York/New Jersey area. Students are relatively politically aware but for the most part apathetic or leaning left.Ac

Academics differ from class to class. In smaller classes professors will generally make an attempt to get to know you and involve the class, but there are many large classes involving 200 or more students that are bassically straight lectures.

I am involved with Greek life, which is fun but not integral, but most of the campus social life revolves around bars and house parties. People drink frequently, big traditions include Homecoming, Cinco De Mayo, St. Patricks Day, and happy hour anywhere. On any given day there is usually a drink special somewhere. There is not much of a dating scene, people tend to meet at parties.

Julianne

The best thing about UD is the large amount of activities that students can involve themselves in. The school spirit is also a great thing about UD. I would change the way UD tries to utilize technology. Most of the time, the server doesn't work and it makes things difficult. Also the library should be open past 12. I think it's just right. It's large enough that you don't know everyone but small enough that you always recognize people. When I tell people that I go to UD they either say, oh the Blue Hens, or why did you choose that school? I spend most of my time at the school newspaper because I work there, or in the library. Definitely a college town. I don't really have an opinion of the UD administration. The most recent controversy involved the Resident Life Organization. There is a huge amount of school pride. UD is in a college town that has residents that do not like college students, which I find very unusual. And it's not a good thing. Any experiences with my friends I will remember, but definitely my study abroad to London. I'm glad that UD has the opportunity for students to study anywhere in the world. The most frequent student complaints probably include academics.

UD is a semi-diverse campus, but mostly made up of white students. I think a gay student might feel out of place but I think most students feel like they belong. Most students wear jeans or sweats and sweatshirts. Or you see girls in UGGs, leggings, and their NorthFace jackets, which I think is the unofficial uniform of any college girl. Not me however. I think different types of students interact in class, but outside not really. Most UD students are from Delaware, New Jersey or Eastern P.A. Upper middle class seems to be pretty prevalent around UD. I see a lot of Chanel. I haven't really heard many students talk about how much they will earn one day.

Sometimes I feel like all the people look the same and if you look any different, people look at you weird. I think people at this school take themselves too seriously.

Partially. Many students are actively involved in organizations that are politically involved.

Some professors know my name. My favorite class is currently Film Theory and Criticism. My least favorite class was Pre-Calculus. Students are always studying. Class participation is very common. I'd say that students have intellectual conversations outside of class. Students are very competitive. For the Communications major, they only accept the top 100 students into the major, so you have to be competitive. The most unique class I have taken is probably Film Theory and Criticism. I have a double major in Communication and English. The communication department is understaffed which is why only 100 students are allowed in. Besides that, the department has amazing teachers. The English department has many concentrations students can pursue, such as journalism, drama, and film. I don't usually spend time with professors outside of class, unless I have to ask them a question. The requirements were recently changed and I'm glad because before everyone needed 13 credits of science courses, which seems a little extreme. I believe the education is both geared toward a job and toward learning.

The students are apathetic when it comes to politics. UD is very focused on the football team and not many of the other sports.

The most popular team on campus is definitely the football team. There are greek organizations. I'm involved with Public Relations Students Society of America which has speakers from different PR backgrounds come and speak. There are also opportunities to go to PR conferences. In some dorms, students leave their doors, but when I lived in the dorms, no one had their doors open. Football is extremely popular but I'm not sure how popular other athletic events are. I don't really think there is a dating scene. I met my one close friend freshman year and then she introduced me to my other close friend sophomore year. My other close friends are also from freshman year. If you are awake at 2am on Tuesday you are probably studying. Homecoming happens every year and is a big deal. People party pretty often. Frats and sororities aren't that important but I always feel like I see people wearing their letters all the time. Last weekend I went to one of my study abroad friend's party and then hung out with my bffs. On Saturday, you can go to movies at the student center. Off campus, I either go to Philly or go to the mall. Or go see movies.

Toby

For the most part, yes. There are a lot of Jersey kids who attend this school. An in-state student is a stranger in his hometown.

New Jersey Girls and Guys with a minority of locals.

Liz

I think UD is more diverse than people think, and a very casual, comfortable place. Unlike private colleges, students arent competitive it what they wear to class and the names they wear. Also, because there are so many students, I don't think cliques really exist (or maybe I am just being naive).

while that stereotype is probably the majority of students here, I think that is the case in any college campus.

we are all white, upperclass, preppy kids

Often times people think going to a university as large as UD doesn't afford students personalized attention with their professor, but I have found that most of my professors know my name and interact with me every class.

There is always things going on on campus and on main street, and having a social life is not a problem. I would definitely agree that this school is a party school, but only if you choose to partake in those activities.

James

Most people say they know or have heard that UD has a great campus. And the more I walk around here, the more I agree. I discover a new, appealing piece of campus everyday and makes me feel happy I chose this place to walk around for four years.

All students are accepted and the college is centered around making all students and people feel this way.

From my point of view, as a student, these stereotypes are fairly true. The college seems to be a school who puts in the effort to make everyone feel welcomed and taken care of.

They diverse group of wide range of cultural backgrounds. They are kind people who interact well with each other and have a general goal to succeed. Also, the teachers are expected to be at the highest level of ability and knowledge among the nation's professor's.

Most of my professor's are active in my studies and I feel they care about my learning and performance, but then again some aren't and don't. My professors though are dedicated to their job. UD could not possible more geared toward its students getting a job.

The football program here is awesome and the games are extremely entertaining. Partying is an essential ingredient in most people's weekend but in honorable manner.

Dan

The best thing about Delaware is the people (both students and professors). Delaware is a medium-sized school which means you get to know a fair amount of different people and you can easily become tight with professors within your major. As nice as the campus is, it was my friends and professors that made my experience at Delaware great. If I could change one thing about the school, I’d wish it were safer. While I attended Delaware there were many assaults, a serial rapist, and the murder of a student. Although every city has its crime issues, it came as a shock to the student body that these crimes were being committed in a small town like Newark. Although the administration is trying to step up its safety, the university still needs to up the ante. When people first hear I go to UD they often comment on the nice campus and how they hear “it is a fun school.” Well I spent most of my time in the student newspaper office, The Review, but besides working there I spent most of my time on-campus at Memorial Hall and Perkins Student Center. However, the majority of my time junior and senior year took place off-campus. Probably my favorite experience was living in Harrington Hall sophomore year. That is where I met most of my best friends today, and we had a pretty wild floor with a laid back RA.

Since I worked at the newspaper I met with a variety of different groups on campus, but if it weren’t for my job at there I probably would not have been exposed to too many different groups of people at Delaware. For the most part every minority group keeps to themselves, and most African-American students live at Laird Campus which is distant to the main part of campus. The typical Delaware student is upper-middle class and white from the North East. It is hard to say who would feel out of place at Delaware because there seems to be a niche for any students, but definitely if you are not white and straight you are in the minority. Most students wear jeans, t-shirts and sweats to class. There is no need to dress up to any class at Delaware unless you are doing a presentation that requires you to wear nice clothes. Delaware has a reputation of being apathetic toward politics. There is little activism, besides a crazy guy known simply as “The Preacher” who stands outside Parnell Hall and claims most of us are going to Hell.

I highly recommend going abroad while at Delaware. The school has a ton of programs around the world. Most students go for a winter session during the month of January. I went to Australia and New Zealand with an English program and it was an experience I will never forget.

Yes, the majority of students are apathetic toward world issues, and only really care about what they are doing for the weekend. There are typically problems between students and townies, however most of the time the townies are the ones who provoke a fight.

Delaware students are stereotyped as being apathetic to the world outside Newark. They like to drink and party Thursday through Sunday and often get into conflicts with townies.

Professors within your major should become familiar with your name. My favorite class was my feature writing class with McKay Jenkins. It was a great class where own only “textbook” was a subscription to The New Yorker and we would not only learn to write feature stories but discuss current events as well. My least favorite class was an intro statistics class. I mostly didn’t enjoy the class because I find math to be boring, plus it was math a freshman in high school shouldn’t have a problem doing. For the average class I probably spent a few hours each week on assignments, however it does depend on the class and how big the assignment is. I tried to attend class every day, but I probably averaged making it to class 80 percent of the time (classes within my English major program I rarely missed). In big lecture hall classes there are usually a select few students who do all the participating, it is not important to participate because you are just another face in the crowd anyway. It is slightly more important to participate in smaller classes because your professor will most likely know who you are and notice your effort or lack-there-of. Currently in my school bag are three notebooks (which I always leave in my bag), two textbooks and an iPod. I am an English major with a concentration in journalism. It is a small major where you are basically required to write for the school newspaper; however the newspaper is still independent from the college. The journalism professors are all extremely eager to help you with anything you need. Most journalism students rely on one or two of the journalism professors to help them through the program and with their writing. Delaware has a core curriculum that can be pretty obnoxious and annoying; however it does give you a pretty good track to follow in order to graduate. Everyone is required to take a multi-cultural class and a second writing class. Many other majors also have other requirements which consist of a number of credits in each category of classes.

I was involved in the school newspaper known as The Review and the St. Pats hockey team, which was a team consisting of UD students which played against other students and community teams. The Review was both a job and recreational club. I started out writing sports, and eventually worked my way up to editor. The staff consists solely of students and the administration has no influence what the paper writes, therefore it was not rare for the paper to bash the administration. Meanwhile, the hockey team was more or less a beer league with our best friends. There is really no dating scene at Delaware. It is mostly just the drunken hook ups that could lead to something serious or could just as easily lead to nothing. It is rare for a student to ask another student on a date, unless it is Valentine’s Day or a Greek date party. I met my closest friends by living with them in the dorms freshman and sophomore year, and through my involvement on the newspaper staff and hockey team. At 2 am on a weeknight you are usually either cramming for a test or watching a movie…meanwhile on a weekend you are probably walking back from the bar (they close at 1am in Delaware which is horrible) and walking to a party or a friend’s house to continue to drink. A typical weekend goes as follows: Thursday night – if you are under 21 you will probably just hang out with your friends and if you drink you’ll probably just stay in and play games. If you are 21 you will most likely go to Deer Park or Grottos. Friday and Saturday night – pregame at your house or dorm then go to a party (also if you are 21 you may pregame at Grottos). If you are not a drinker, you can go see a movie at Trabant, see either an inprov group or play, ice skating, gym, etc. There are always non-alcoholic events on campus. Greek Life is only big to the people who are in fraternities and sororities. Otherwise they might as well not exist. I did have a number of friends in sororities who would invite my friends and I to their date parties which are always fun. And freshmen and sophomores will often rely on Greek houses for parties since most of their friends do not get apartments until junior year. Freshman and sophomore year I was probably off campus 40 percent of the time, whereas junior and senior year I was off campus 90 percent of the time. Newark is a small town with one major street, ironically called Main Street. Once I moved off campus, I spent most of my time on Main Street.

Andrea

The best thing about UD is the comfortable, college campus atmosphere created by the beautiful campus, main street and small town which seems to exist because of the school. It is also close enough to Philly, Baltimore and other big cities to not feel like it is in the middle of no where. It is a big enough school that you feel like you have a lot of resources at your fingertips, opportunities and new people to meet, but small enough that you don't feel like you get lost. It is easy to get involved and make a place for yourself if you want to. I would like to change the distance between the administration and the students since it does feel like it is difficult to get guidance if you need it and the councellors have a hard time really helping you with scheduling. The biggest controversy stemmed from the diversity program in our residence halls, which was a result of the administration trying to close the gap between black and white students. School pride is only really seen during football season, and I do wish we had a stronger athletic department that could help to build school spirit.

I don't think that our student body is very diverse. Most come from upper middle class families from New Jersey, New York, Delaware, Maryland or Pennsylvania. Since our student body isn't very politically active its hard to tell if it is left, right or center. However, there are groups on campus that are geared toward different racial/religious/LGBT students so I don't really feel that it would be hard for them to find a place to fit in. To class, people typically dress down, but going out most people look exactly the same.

Somewhat -- the majority of the student body is definitely white, with somewhat of a divide between students, but it is getting better. There are students who are extremely involved and passionate, but I do feel our school generally has fewer protests/demonstrations which people care about and less of a political energy than other schools.

Professors in my department know my name, but it's definitely a school where if you want them to know you, you have to put in the effort. Professors are definitely willing to help you and build a relationship if the student is. My favorite classes are with the professors who know my name, but I am also in a major where that is possible. The amount of studying done varies a lot. There are majors and classes where you can get by with doing very little -- it all depends on what you want to get out of it, and there is a significant number of students here that I feel are more concerned with the social aspect of school than the academic and I don't typically hear intellectual conversations outside of the classroom. This could contribute to the "apathetic" stereotype. I think that although this is a liberal arts school, many students get frustrated with the amount of breadth requirements that we have to take.

I am in a sorority so I feel like greek life is pretty big, but you definitely don't have to be a part of it to have things to do on campus. I am also involved in the student newspaper and have met a lot of people through that. I also feel like being involved with the paper has made me a lot more aware of what is going on on campus than the average student. But generally, our student body is not very interested in theater, guest speakers or athletic events (other than football). I think most social circles are formed in residence halls with the people you live with. In the older residence halls people keep their doors open, but the university has been building a lot of new housing which is appartment style. I think this is an awful thing the university is doing because it discourages students to keep their doors open and be social with people they live with.

That we are predominately white and very apathetic.

Corrie

size- just right UD- why the heck would you go to delaware? on campus- in the SGA office love main st/ campus- it FEELS like a college here, and i LOVE that UD's admin- from the SGA standpoint, AMAZING. really passionate about helping students. they're awesome...students don't know how much influence they have recent controversy- noose on campus, officers having guns (which i think is a great idea) school pride- some, but could use more- like the idea of the cockpit, but oculd go further with this unusual- not particularly... could use somethign to make us stand out/ get our name out there with the more prestigious universities always remember- meeting the people on my floor student complaints- RAs not doing their job (enforcing rules)

diversity groups- not a HUGE presence, but everyone knows HAVEN, HOLA, and BSU. wish there was more of a voice in this aspect of UD out of place- any minority, really. girls- uggs/black northface/ longchamp bag. usually very well put together. guys dress usually pretty casually, but you can tell they thought about what they put on in the morning interaction- besides myself (black roommate, i'm white), not so much tables: asians, obnoxiously loud girls, guy athletes next to them, kid sitting by himself reading nearly ALL UD students from delaware and NJ financial background- well off... upper middle class politically oblivious, very inactive predominantly left, but don't necessarily know what tha tmeans everyone wants to make 6-figures and is convinced they will do so

somewhat...we could use more diversity here

longchamp bags, uggs, and black northface- sorority girls. somewhat stereotypical sorority girls and frat guys

professors- some know my name, those are my favorite...depends on class size, but if they ALL don't know me personally, it's okay favorite- IR during winter session- close, personal, professor was very involved and interested in our class and the students. least favorite- the huge lecture i had for philosophy. couldn't get any questions answered and it was too big of a class to have a meaningful discussion, which is important for philosophy competitive- depends on teh group, but overall no unique- nothign yet (all general requirements) major- IR, concentration in development, area study in africa outside of class- once i went to coffee with my IR professor to talk about what classes I should be taking (he was my favorite professor). i thought it would be weird but it was actually great to get personal time and i felt like i could really get good advice from someone i trusted and who actually KENW me academic requirements- fair, but wish there was a better way of providing good academic atmosphere. library hours are very short and it's a LONG way away form where i live. there's no quiet place to work when my roommate's here, and that's a lot of the time. education- geared toward getting a job, which isn't necessarily a bad thing

bsu, haven, religious groups. i'm in sga...which takes over my life but i love it. it's a great way to get involved and meet other people, esp upper classmen in my dorm, all doors are open ALL the time athletic events- people go when convenient but don't go out of their way. guest speakers hardly ever, theater if it's convenient dating scene- no one dates, they're one-night-stands or friends with benefits closest friends- on my floor awake at 2 on tuesday- hanging out in the lounge or studying traditions- homecoming, none really-- need one work hard, party hard. nearly everyone drinks and goes out frats/sororities a big part of campus life last weekend went out both nights...one frat house, one on-campus house of a friend saturday night without drinking- watch a movie wiht friends on the floor, usually somehting going on in trabant off campus- can't get there, so nothing.

University of Delaware administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.