Newark, DE
University of Delaware

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Delaware

Cody

UD is a great place, I couldn't imagine a better college. The best thing about it is that it's both a large and small school. It's not too large that you get lost in the numbers but big enough that you don't feel suffocated. Also, Newark is a fun college town filled with bars and restaurants. The biggest problem with UD would definitely be the relationship between the students and the "townies." Newark has gotten much more dangerous in the past five years with crime increasing. It's not a bad place to live, students just have to be more cautious at night. The campus is beautiful and I'm sure living in dorms has gotten significantly better since the new complexes were built but I couldn't wait to move off campus. There are plenty of off-campus options.

Students at UD are not particularly passionate about anything (it was named one of the most apathetic campuses). There are still very active student groups on campus for almost every cause but overall, the majority of students are apathetic.

There is a significant lack of diversity on campus and the majority of students do come from Delaware, Maryland, or New Jersey.

Academics are getting better at UD. I didn't like the large classes that fulfilled breadth requirements for the College of Arts and Sciences. The best classes were the small, focused ones, particularly in the political science department that allowed students to do more than just write papers or sit in lecture halls. I have been in video conferences with Lebanese students and had wine and cheese with the US Ambassador to the United Nations.

Students at UD are very social. Greek life is popular but not necessary to having fun. The bars are definitely the center of social life in Newark. There is a special at every bar for every night of the week. Nacho nights at Kate's are one of the most popular. Homecoming and Saint Patrick's Day are huge day-long drinking events.

UD students are pretty homogenous. They all come from the mid-Atlantic region and similar socio-economic backgrounds.

Meg

The best thing about Delaware is the quintessential/classic college experience it offers. We have our little Main Street, beautiful green, large but not dominant Greek life, solid academics, a good bar scene and we surely know how to party. If I could change one thing I would switch the 60/40 girl/guy ratio in the other direction. Good guys are scarce. When I tell people I go to UD they either don't know much about it, have heard there is a good social life, or "have a friend who goes there as LOVES it!" I spend most of my time on Main Street. While I spent more time in Trabant while I lived on campus, not that I live off Main Street I definitely spend more time there. UD is definitely in a college town. I loved Roselle, the former president who just retired this summer, but jury's still out about Harker. He seems nice enough, but I'll wait to see what he does before I judge him. The biggest controversy of recent was the closing of The Stone Balloon, the historic bar and music venue. They had mug night every Thursday, and I think the bar scene took a hit when it closed. There is definitely a lot of school pride. Kids are proud to tell everyone they go to UD. Football games are fun, though many just make it to the parking lot to tailgate. When we went to the championship this year students traveled to Chattanooga TN to see the game. I can't think of anything that is too unusual. I will always remember watching the championship game at Grotto's (even though we lost horribly). The most frequent complaints are that there aren't enough bars on Main Street, we don't recycle, and it's not safe.

UDEL is extremely homogeneous. It is comprised almost completely of white middle to upper middle class kids. There are very few minorities represented at UD. Ethnic students may feel out of place. We have a LGBT population, but they are not prevalent. There aren't many different groups to interact so no, not really. In the dining hall the tables would be filled with a group of preppy girls in polo's or spandex, some fratty boys in polo's or T's, probably a mixed group of students in sweats, and another group of white middle class kids with maybe a token black student. Mostly UD students are from DE, MD, NJ, NY, (LONG ISLAND!) PA, New England, and a few from other places. The financial background is middle class to upper middle class with a few rich kids. Students are embarrassingly NOT politically active. No one seems to concerned with how much they'll make, but I bet some do.

Freshman year few professors knew my name, but not that I am a senior all my professors know my name. My favorite class is a politics in entertainment communication class. Our professor got her doctorate in political humor and we analyze the new, watch daily show clips, and joke around a lot in class. I hated calc freshman year, it was awful. I study when I have exams, but I don't send all my time doing work. Class participation is common, few intellectual conversations happen outside of class, and you can find your competitive students, but things are not cut throat here. My politics in entertainment communication class is probably my most unique. The comm department is small and competitive. You start for 2 years as a comm interest major and then after taking 4 core courses they put your "comm gpa" against everyone else's and take the top 100. I really like the professors & I like that it is small. I don't spent time with professors outside of class, but I know people that do. The requirements are a fine, a lot of breadth requirements though. I would say the education leans toward getting a job.

I am Greek, so I thing that Greek life is popular, and it is definitely growing. Students typically live on campus for 1 or 2 years and then off campus for 1 or 2. Students do leave their doors open in the dorms. Football has a solid following, but some other sports struggle to draw a crowd. There are a lot of speaks they get decent attendance & the theater is so-so. Most kids don't "date" but the hook-up culture is strong. I met my closest friends on my floor freshman year. If I'm not drinking, I am probably watching TV with friends. There are the "fests" that happen every year. Chapelfest, Skidfest, & Wilbur fest are just excuses for streets to shut town and everyone drink a lot. Greek week & homecoming are huge for Greeks. Homecoming is also huge for everyone. Most don't make it to the game. People party all the time. 10 a.m. on a Monday people are drinking- go to grotto's, you'll see. Greek life is only 15%ish and important, but you don't have to be Greek to party, drink, or have fun. I went to the bars, had sorority recruitment, and hung out with friends. They're movies at our student center, food on main street, but honestly, everyone drinks. We have a little main street which has food & some small shops.

UD was formerly known as a huge party school, but that has dissipated some. I think people generally know Delaware as a fun school that is getting tougher and tougher to get into.

Alexis

The best thing about UD? There is literally something for everyone. If you just get out of that dorm room and research some stuff going on, you'll realize how many groups, activities, sports, etc. there are to get involved with. You can start your own club if you want. You can go see new movies in our theater, see special acts like Jon Stewart and Dane Cook. You can eat at our famous restaurant Vita Nova which has been given 4 stars and run by the hotel restaurant and instutional management students. You can get a job on main street, at the mall, or on campus. You can write for the newspaper, become involved with a club that reflects your academic interest, play on an intramural sport, take dance lessons, take music lessons, take art lessons. Anything you have in mind, we have it. One thing I would change about the school...the parking. It seems stupid but it honestly is a mess and very frustrating. Where ever you park you have to worry about getting a ticket. But if thats the worst thing about UD...well then I'd say we have it pretty good here. My school is just right. People hear 16,000 undergrads and almost die. They think it is ridiculously too big. I think it's perfect. If you give it a chance you will soon realize how small it really is. As the days, weeks, months, and years go by you recognize the same people in your classes, out at night, or just walking around. You create how big or small it is...how many colleges can offer you that? People always react positively when I say I go to UD. They either say "Oh wow that school is so hot right now everyone I know is applying, but its hard to get in." or "oh I hear UD is a lot of fun and everyone I know that goes there loves it" and of course "UD...thats in Newark right? As in Newark NJ?" As an ungrad I spent most of my time at my resident hall/appartment, my friends places, Sharp lab (for physics) and of course the beautiful and wonderful main street. COLLEGE TOWN 100% UD has a rather new administration this year since President Roselle has recently retired and President Harker has taken over. My parents are co-presidents of the Parent Board here and I have had the pleasure to meet everyone high up in administration. They are without a doubt the nicest and most intellegent people I have ever met. Although it may be hard to show with a larger school, they really do care about the students. Every morning President Roselle took a walk around campus with his wife, Louisa, to show his love for the school and its students. Roselle has brought in a ridiculous amount of money for research and renovations. There are new buildings going up everywhere for classes, administration, and dorming. There are so many opportunities to do research for the school and GET PAID FOR IT. All the Deans are so pleasant and constantly ask me what THEY can do to improve their school. The new President, Dr. Harker, started off by going around to each dining hall and eating with the students for weeks to talk to them, get to know them, show them he's real, and ask them what he can do to improve their experience at UD. There is nothing bad to say about the administration and if you can think of anything I challenge you to let me know...I'm sure I can prove you wrong. Biggest recent controversy...this past fall a former student of UD wrote for ESPN (I think) that UD is racist and refuses to play Delaware State because we don't want to be associated with them. There are so many things wrong with this assumption that if I get into it, you'll be reading for hours. Besides the fact that the person is a former UD student which shows how pathetic and disgraceful he is, the accusation was completely out of line and just plane wrong. To prove so we did play Delaware State this past fall in Football...and beat the shit out of them. There is a TON OF PRIDE at UD...from the students walking around campus with UD clothing on to the pride shown at our sports games. Just go to a UD football game and you'll see how much pride we have...but get there early or you'll find no seats. UD has an unusual smell. I'm not kidding. It has been around since I started school here and I'm pretty sure longer than that. There is some talk that it comes from mushroom farms down south, but who really knows. It is the worst in the cold winter mornings. You get used to it though I will always remember the month I studied abroad in Australia and New Zealand. UD is ranked #1 in study abroad. We go to every continent and over 100 countries. It was the best month of my life. Other than that...graduation...I will never forget it. The most frequent complaints from students are about the parking...like I addressed above.

For the most part I have had only positive experiences with the above. I had never come across anyone who has told me I can't be the way I am or anyone else I know. UD is very good about treating everyone equally and giving them the chance to share their beliefs...in an appropriate and legal way. I feel there is so mch for everyone...I don't know who wouldn't fit in. Jeans and a sweatshirt and sneakers. Some dress up, some dress down...it's all fair. Yes different types of students interact. This isn't high school where the jocks only talk to the jocks and the cheerleaders. Everyone talks to everyone...one of the many reasons I love it here. I don't see four tables of students...I see one large table of all different students interacting together. I know that sounds cheesy but its true. There aren't specific tables assigned to specific people...its all equal. Most are from UD, then Jersey, Penn, NY, and Maryland. We have at least one student from every state as well as many international students. comfortable financial backgrounds. Very poitically aware...could be more active. Everyone talks about how much they will earn one day no matter where you are...how can you not?

UD is an amazing school. It's beauitful as a campus and as a community. I could go into a lot more detail on all the positive things of this school but I don't have the time. There are negatives of course, but what school doesn't have negatives? The positives make up for it x10. The best way I can describe UD is like this: All of my friends attended college. All of them are home now after graduating. All of them never say they miss school, never go visit, never speak about it. I am all UD and they know it. I have decided to stay down here for graduate school because I love it so much. There is no denying the fact that I have had a much better college experience than most of the people I know...thanks to UD.

Statistically there are a lot of students who are from Delaware. One, it is cheap for them to attend and in the past UD has accepted many students applying from Delaware. While the cost will remain cheap for these students, admissions is making it very hard for Delaware students to be admitted. UD is a big party school, but I feel this comes from the fact that there isn't much else to the state. Sorry to say it but UD is the state...besides DuPont. There is a ton of stuff to do at UD which does not involve drinking and partying. If you look beyond this stereotype you will find an abundance of activities in just about ever area of interest. And Yes, UD is a big school, but definitely manageable. After being at UD for awhile you realize that you create your own, smaller community within a larger one. I feel it is the best of both worlds: You have the big school there if you want it, and then you also have every chance and opporunity to make a smaller community for your friends and yourself.

UD accepts any students who apply from Delaware. The town is filled with Townies as well as the school. That UD is the biggest party school around. UD is huge and you feel lost in it. There's a ton of drinking at UD.

Greek life is popular but not too popular. It is the perfect mix. If you want to belong, its there, but if you don't, you don't feel like you have too. Intramural sports are very popular...anyone and their friends can join. The Newspaper is popular, as well as any academic clubs. I have been involved with the Blue Hen Ambassadors since freshman year. We are the faces of UD...aka the tour guides. I love it and it is the best thing I have ever joined. It is very competitive to get in and I was very proud to belong for all four years. It is such a strong, thought out and involved program that it blows other tour guides away. Besides a ridiculously vast knowledge of UD, it has given me a ton of friends, connections, and learning experience. Nothing could have been better for me to become involved with. Most students will leave their doors in dorms open...you always have the few who don't. Athletic events are extremely popular and always will be. We get a large amount of guest speakers who are very popular and well known. Theather is definitely there if you take out the time to look for it. I feel the dating scene is great...but then again I met my boyfriend of 4 years here...but yes in general everyone I know has met someone whether it has worked out or not. I met my closest friends freshman year. We were all in the same building, same floor...what else could you ask for? I'm never awake at a 2am on a Tuesday. If I am it's because I'm either studying for something or can't sleep. Most traditions/events are related to holidays or sporting events. People party all the time...but it doesn't affect whether or not you want too. Greek life is about 11% here...doesn't seem much but its perfect. 11% of 16,000 is a good amount...its here if you want to belong and if you don't you feel aboslutely no pressure to. Last weekend I went to my boyfriends home. I am a graduate student now and I CHOOSE not to go out as much. But if I wanted to I know a ton of stuff I could do. Go to the movies, go to baltimore, philly, study, hang out with your friends without drinking, see a play on campus, do a weekend trip we always offer, go to dinner on main street, go ice skating at our rink, go to a sporting event, participate in a sporting event, go to the mall... everything mentioned above.

Most professors know my name. It is hard in those larger classes. But you have to understand...it isn't necessarily the teachers fault. If you want them to know you, go up and talk to them, make an impression. If they don't know your name...well thats your own fault. I have so many favorite classes I can't even begin to focus on one. I have loved my sociology class because the professor was amazing and the material was so interesting. I got so much out of that class...even though there were 200+ in it. I love my small physics classes where everyone gets to know eachother and your true personality can come out. My least favorite classes are the ones I can't perform well in...because I don't understand the material or I don't like it. Thats my own fault and not UD's. The library is always packed. The coffee shops on main street are always packed. Students study like crazy...but know how to relax and make up for it. Yes, class participation is common. Our students have great minds and love to share their knowledge with each other. Everytime I go out either I or someone near me is having an intellectual conversation...outside of class. Students are very competitive, but in today's society who isn't? The most unique class I've ever taken must be my philosophy classes...no surprise there. My major is physics and my department is physics and astronomy. My last year here I added education so I could teach high school physics. The department has amazingly smart students and an even smarter staff. There is a large amount of money for students to do research. There are clubs, organizations, study groups, a library, a lounge, and a ton of labs all for us to use. Professors tend to get side tracked with their own research at times, so you have to know how to get alternate help. I could spend time with professors outside of class, but I choose not too. UD's academic requirements are very fair for the most part. They refuse to let students out of taking science just because it isn't their major, etc. They are difficult, but fair. Learning...for its own sake.

Jeff

It is both a small and large campus, you have the change to know a lot of people but at the same time meet new people every day. There needs to be more parking on campus. Just right. Usually people say, "That is a really good school," or ask if I drink myself to sleep every night. Usually in the classroom or on Main Street. College town. I can't really complain about the administration but I can see where they could do better. The Residence Life program. Yes. Not really. The people I have met. The school is not diverse enough and there needs to be a little more parking.

My experiences have been fine, I cannot say I have had any problems. I would say the black or latino students feel out of place. We have a very low minority population. Normal clothes? Yes. I can't say, I never really ate in the dining halls or on campus. New Jersey, Long Island, Delaware. Upper-middle class. Nope. I would say center just because most students probably don't have a clue what is going on. It comes up in some conversations but not too often.

I wouldn't say they are 100 percent accurate but there is a lot of drinking which goes on around campus.

University students party all the time and the girls are easy.

Yes. I really enjoyed a nature writing class and hated taking biology. Probably an hour a night or so. Yes. Some do, but I wouldn't say it is very widespread across campus. Yes. Philosophy of South Park The English/Journalism program is very strong here with many alumni and professors to help point you in the right direction. On occasion. I can't find any fault with them. I would say it is a little of both depending on what you are looking for. They seem to have a pretty good job for both.

I would say some Greek Life organizations and intermural sports. I work for the student paper, its time consuming but worth it in the long run. Yes. Football is very popular, everything else kind of pales in comparison. The dating scene is not too big but it still happens like it would anywhere else. Randomly in class and through connections to other people. Drinking. Different street festivals and art shows. Probably too often. They make up about 15 percent of the campus but depending on who you are they can be much more important then that number. Drank. There are many non-drinking options offered throughout the campus. Drink.

Jen

One thing I would change about UD is how big the party culture is here. Not too many students are into just hanging out on the weekends. I would say Newark is a college town, especially with its Main Street. There are some problems with "townies" and crime, though. I think there is a good deal of school pride. Many students will go to football games, but that's about it.

I think that most people at UD would say they are open to minority groups, but underneath it all aren't all that accepting. I think that UD has mostly white, upper-middle class students. Most groups tend to stick with each other. For example, black students hang out with fellow black students, Asian students hang out with fellow Asian students, and people in the LGBT community hang out with fellow students in the LGBT community. I think any student who is not white, upper-middle class could feel out of place at UD. Most students wear jeans and a decent shirt to class. Most don't dress up, but many students do wear sweatpants. Most UD students are from middle-class or upper-middle class families in DE, NJ, NY, PA, and MD. I don't think that students are politically aware/active. There are a few political groups on campus, but I feel like the average student does not really care about politics or the news. I think most students are around the center, with some on the left and some on the right.

I think the stereotypes are pretty true. There are some more "normal" or genuine people, but I do think the stereotypes are pretty true.

That they are white, middle-class or upper-middle class, party a lot, and are concerned with their appearance. The girls wear make-up everday, Ugg boots, and North Face fleece jackets. The guys are concerned with partying and getting laid.

The dating scene here does not really exist. Most students just "hook up" at parties, or else some students have hook up buddies. I feel like most students here do not have a significant other they could ever see themselves marrying one day. Most of my friends and I have never been asked on a real date by any guy here. I met my closest friends through my dorm freshman year, through other friends, and through activities. People party here pretty much every night. Thursday, Friday, and Saturday are the most popular party nights. On a Saturday night, you can go to the movies, go out to eat, hang out at a friend's place, go bowling, or go to an event on campus (such as a concert or play).

Most professors don't know your name. A few do, though. Most students study for at least an hour or so per day. I don't think many students have intellectual conversations outside of class. A few do. I would say students are slightly competitive about grades, internships, etc. They do try to succeed, but I don't see UD as being one of the most student-competitive schools. I rarely spend time with professors outside of class. I feel like UD's academic requirements are pretty good. Students have a lot of flexibility in what types of classes they want to take because there aren't that many requirements. I think that the liberal arts classes are geared toward learning for its own sake, but business classes are geared toward getting a job.

Adam

I like the fact that they offer a lot of options of what courses you can take and how big the class sizes are. People generally regard UD as a good school for academics and I wouldn't argue with that. The town is nice, but we quickly run out of things to do. The administration is mostly concerned with getting our money. There is a plenty of school pride, although I would imagine UD is not that different from any other state school

Students here tend to be very casual and friendly. Most people are upper middle class kids from the Delaware/New York/New Jersey area. Students are relatively politically aware but for the most part apathetic or leaning left.Ac

Academics differ from class to class. In smaller classes professors will generally make an attempt to get to know you and involve the class, but there are many large classes involving 200 or more students that are bassically straight lectures.

I am involved with Greek life, which is fun but not integral, but most of the campus social life revolves around bars and house parties. People drink frequently, big traditions include Homecoming, Cinco De Mayo, St. Patricks Day, and happy hour anywhere. On any given day there is usually a drink special somewhere. There is not much of a dating scene, people tend to meet at parties.

Julianne

The best thing about UD is the large amount of activities that students can involve themselves in. The school spirit is also a great thing about UD. I would change the way UD tries to utilize technology. Most of the time, the server doesn't work and it makes things difficult. Also the library should be open past 12. I think it's just right. It's large enough that you don't know everyone but small enough that you always recognize people. When I tell people that I go to UD they either say, oh the Blue Hens, or why did you choose that school? I spend most of my time at the school newspaper because I work there, or in the library. Definitely a college town. I don't really have an opinion of the UD administration. The most recent controversy involved the Resident Life Organization. There is a huge amount of school pride. UD is in a college town that has residents that do not like college students, which I find very unusual. And it's not a good thing. Any experiences with my friends I will remember, but definitely my study abroad to London. I'm glad that UD has the opportunity for students to study anywhere in the world. The most frequent student complaints probably include academics.

UD is a semi-diverse campus, but mostly made up of white students. I think a gay student might feel out of place but I think most students feel like they belong. Most students wear jeans or sweats and sweatshirts. Or you see girls in UGGs, leggings, and their NorthFace jackets, which I think is the unofficial uniform of any college girl. Not me however. I think different types of students interact in class, but outside not really. Most UD students are from Delaware, New Jersey or Eastern P.A. Upper middle class seems to be pretty prevalent around UD. I see a lot of Chanel. I haven't really heard many students talk about how much they will earn one day.

Sometimes I feel like all the people look the same and if you look any different, people look at you weird. I think people at this school take themselves too seriously.

Partially. Many students are actively involved in organizations that are politically involved.

Some professors know my name. My favorite class is currently Film Theory and Criticism. My least favorite class was Pre-Calculus. Students are always studying. Class participation is very common. I'd say that students have intellectual conversations outside of class. Students are very competitive. For the Communications major, they only accept the top 100 students into the major, so you have to be competitive. The most unique class I have taken is probably Film Theory and Criticism. I have a double major in Communication and English. The communication department is understaffed which is why only 100 students are allowed in. Besides that, the department has amazing teachers. The English department has many concentrations students can pursue, such as journalism, drama, and film. I don't usually spend time with professors outside of class, unless I have to ask them a question. The requirements were recently changed and I'm glad because before everyone needed 13 credits of science courses, which seems a little extreme. I believe the education is both geared toward a job and toward learning.

The students are apathetic when it comes to politics. UD is very focused on the football team and not many of the other sports.

The most popular team on campus is definitely the football team. There are greek organizations. I'm involved with Public Relations Students Society of America which has speakers from different PR backgrounds come and speak. There are also opportunities to go to PR conferences. In some dorms, students leave their doors, but when I lived in the dorms, no one had their doors open. Football is extremely popular but I'm not sure how popular other athletic events are. I don't really think there is a dating scene. I met my one close friend freshman year and then she introduced me to my other close friend sophomore year. My other close friends are also from freshman year. If you are awake at 2am on Tuesday you are probably studying. Homecoming happens every year and is a big deal. People party pretty often. Frats and sororities aren't that important but I always feel like I see people wearing their letters all the time. Last weekend I went to one of my study abroad friend's party and then hung out with my bffs. On Saturday, you can go to movies at the student center. Off campus, I either go to Philly or go to the mall. Or go see movies.

Toby

For the most part, yes. There are a lot of Jersey kids who attend this school. An in-state student is a stranger in his hometown.

New Jersey Girls and Guys with a minority of locals.

Liz

I think UD is more diverse than people think, and a very casual, comfortable place. Unlike private colleges, students arent competitive it what they wear to class and the names they wear. Also, because there are so many students, I don't think cliques really exist (or maybe I am just being naive).

while that stereotype is probably the majority of students here, I think that is the case in any college campus.

we are all white, upperclass, preppy kids

Often times people think going to a university as large as UD doesn't afford students personalized attention with their professor, but I have found that most of my professors know my name and interact with me every class.

There is always things going on on campus and on main street, and having a social life is not a problem. I would definitely agree that this school is a party school, but only if you choose to partake in those activities.

University of Delaware administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.