University of Delaware

« See more reviews of University of Delaware

Friendly and willing to help.

Really nice and engaging.

They are eager to learn!

everyone here is white

They're normal people.

I don't know anybody.

GOOD

UD is such a large school that I've seen a little bit of everything at some point! I have met plenty of LGBT students and they all seem to fit in with no problem! Similarly, I've seen almost every race on campus and none of them seem to feel out of place. The socio-economic status of many students is upper-middle class but a lot of the Delaware residents are not as fortunate as the out-of-state students. Still, I have yet to have a negative experience with any kind of group on campus -- all are accepting and willing to include anyone interested in learning about them. Most girls dress up somewhat for class, wearing boots, jeans, and a blazer or peacoat. Contrastingly, most guys wear jeans and a sweatshirt. I tend to wear yoga pants and a sweatshirt when I've had busy nights but like to dress up for class when I can! I've talked to all different kinds of students in my classes, however, a lot of sorority and fraternity students stick together. In the dining hall, people usually interact with their floors more than anything else, so often the groups of people are rather eclectic. A lot of students are active in different RSOs but rarely seem passionate about the work they do with these groups. Many students are interested in making money, and lots of it!

Most UD students are from Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and New York. There are A LOT of students from Northern Jersey and New York City/Long Island. Many of these students don't wind up staying in Delaware after graduation. The most prevalent financial backgrounds are those of significant affluence. Not only is it out of the ordinary not to bring your car with you to campus freshman year, but it also sometimes raises an eyebrow if the vehicle costs less than $30,000. UD is not very diverse when it comes to race or sexual orientation. Most of the students are straight, white, and from the upper crust - although there seems to be an equal balance between conservatives and liberals politically. The study body overall is not incredibly politically aware. Money is a very popular topic of conversation. Do you have it, where does it come from, how much are you going to earn when you graduate, etc. Most students wear regular, casual clothes to class - jeans, flip-flops, and a hoodie are very appropriate freshman-junior year. There is a portion of the female student population that feels the need to dress up for not only class, but also the gym....we're talking heels, make-up, the whole nine yards.

For the most part I have had only positive experiences with the above. I had never come across anyone who has told me I can't be the way I am or anyone else I know. UD is very good about treating everyone equally and giving them the chance to share their beliefs...in an appropriate and legal way. I feel there is so mch for everyone...I don't know who wouldn't fit in. Jeans and a sweatshirt and sneakers. Some dress up, some dress down...it's all fair. Yes different types of students interact. This isn't high school where the jocks only talk to the jocks and the cheerleaders. Everyone talks to everyone...one of the many reasons I love it here. I don't see four tables of students...I see one large table of all different students interacting together. I know that sounds cheesy but its true. There aren't specific tables assigned to specific people...its all equal. Most are from UD, then Jersey, Penn, NY, and Maryland. We have at least one student from every state as well as many international students. comfortable financial backgrounds. Very poitically aware...could be more active. Everyone talks about how much they will earn one day no matter where you are...how can you not?