University of Delaware Top Questions

At the University of Delaware we have an excellent Engineering program, so many people relate the entire body of students to that. Thus common stereotypes include geeks or people that study in the library all the time. However, Greek Life is a big part of the social life here at UD, so then there are the stereotypical Frat bros and Sorority chics. There is a large percentage of Asian and Asian-American students that attend the University of Delaware, to bring back the stereotype of a geeky school. Most of our sports teams are Division II, so we have many Jocks as well. Both of my parents went here and they still associate UD with parties. My Dad was a big party guy but my Mom never left the art studio! There are many stereotypes but UD is a moderately-large University so there is a place for everyone!

Hunter

The in-state students seem to not appreciate the quality of UD and drink a lot.

While the student body is not quite as diverse as you would expect of such a large, public institution, the "abercrombie campus" stereotype is ridiculous.

In part, yes. A lot of students are in this bubble, more concerned about their day-to-day lives than what's going on in the "real world." But there are plenty of people who are passionate about what they do, whether it's writing for the campus newspaper, leading a service organization, or playing a sport. I've even talked to a number of students who work on local political campaigns.

Somewhat. But there's also more to do besides partying if you look for it.

the most true stereotype is that the students are apathetic. The others are semi-true

For the most part.

UD students are certainly apathetic and the preppiness can play into that. It takes incentives to get students to go to games, guest lectures or academic events, whether it's free goodies, free food or extra credit. Perhaps since most students are from out of state, they aren't familiar with UD's small-school athletics until applying or arriving; but since a lot of UD students are rabid Eagles fans, it balances out somewhat. This isn't to say UD doesn't offer or promote academic events. Debates and lectures on everything from intelligent design and the existence of God to Iraq policy and capital punishment have been offered. UD isn't diverse racially and although may appear diverse geographically since six in 10 students are from out of state, most of the out-of-staters are from the same three states -- Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York -- and this can feel a bit alienating to students from, say, Virginia or New England. But the rumors are true: UD's campus is beautiful, especially in spring.

Dawson

some but just because we are mostly white doesnt mean were racist, the same goes with del st. Del state is not in our league when it comes to football.

Susan

Yes. But what college couldn't be deemed a party school? What matters is that most of the people I know were diligent about their work and are bright, motivated, and successful young adults. Some students obviously had money but it certainly wasn't the majority of the student body.

While a lot of partying does go on at UD, I never felt that it was more than what goes on at any large state school, and if you are not into that scene, you certainly can avoid it. However, if you are interested in being very involved in some kind of political organizations or activities, UD might not be the best place for you.

Lee

not really.

Yes, most girls here look the same, it's a shame...You should learn to be yourself in college, not try to fit in and look like everybody else.

There is not much in the way of diversity. However, the students don't all come from upper middle class to upper class backgrounds as many people assume.

Steve

Students follow the news and have a general understanding of what's going on concerning university news and politics. However you will have a hard time finding students protesting on UD's campus. Students just don't care that much...The girls are incredible, no doubt about that...More than 60{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of the student body is comprised of out-of-state students, which is a good thing because the school lowers its standards when admitting in-state students. Nevertheless, there is a definite distinction between an in-state student and a townie. While many in-state students may not be as smart as out-of-state students, it is not fair to label them townies. Townies are junkies who don't go to college, but still like to linger around campus. They like to squawk at university girls while showing of their tall-tees and backward hats. Gross, and yes, the townie stereotype is accurate.

john

nope, yes.

The drinking/partying isn't as prevalent as it's made out to be. It's there, just not to the extent people think it is.

UD chicks are hot...mostly true We have a good business program...true Girls are pretty easy...definitely true We don't know how to party...clearly haven't been to any of ours

Many of the girls are, but not all of them

Not completely. Greek life is popular but it is not the only thing going on around campus.

Definitely not. The campus is (slowly) becoming more diverse, we come from all over the East Coast, and the business program is just one good program we have.

doug

No not one bit

jen

to some extent, not totally

Adrian

There are plenty of good looking girls here at delaware, in fact I think the ratio between guys and girls is like 60{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} girls and 40{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} guys.

You definitely get that dynamic at UD but it's big enough where you are able to find your own niche.

I mean for some- yes! But I mean you can find underage drinking at any college. I think that UD isn't as big as a "party" school as it has been in the past. You can definitely find other activities to do on the weekends if drinking isn't your thing. But if it is-- you can always find a party!

From working at The Review, I feel UD students are apathetic concerning many issues. The editorial section of our paper tries to voice opinion to the student body and is always looking for guest columnists.

UD definitely does have its JAPs but they by no means dominate the crowd. my friends were from all over the mid-atlantic region(NJ,NY,PA,MA,DE,VA) with all kinds of interests, majors, and personalities. there's a scene and a mix of people for everyone at UD. the party scene's the same way. there in full force for all interested but the school and main st offer other things to do if it's not your style. especially once i moved off campus, main street became my second home...whether it was $2 25 oz beers at grotto's (miss you!) or people watching while sitting outside at kate's.

Yes

I believe so

For the most part i think they are accurate

Torry

sometimes

Yes.

To a certain degree, however, I have found many of my classmates to be smart and dedicated students.

Liz

The lack of diversity is stuck in a cycle because diverse students don't want to come to a school where they will be singled out so I dont feel we are a racist school, and compared to other schools I would say we are average with parties, and its true for the girl stereotype.

Yes to an extent

Yes.

For the most part

I definitely do not think so. Although it is the case the in state tuition is cheaper, most of my out of state friends have parents that work very hard to send their children here and are not by any means extremely wealthy.

Absolutely not. It may have been a more accurate stereotype in the past, however I believe UD has come a long way in being considered a highly regarded University with high standards of education and very intelligent students who work hard.

Not at all.

A lot of pretty girls but I dont think they like to party anymore than other college students.

Yeah somewhat accurate

Most of them. But it is a harder school to get into than most think.

No, I have lived here all my life,and love the University as well.

they are pretty accurate!, but thats probably why they got started in the first place.

Connie

yes, but so do a lot of other girls.

Fairly

meg

every school can be a party school- it's just what you make of it.