University of Delaware

« See more reviews of University of Delaware

UD students are certainly apathetic and the preppiness can play into that. It takes incentives to get students to go to games, guest lectures or academic events, whether it's free goodies, free food or extra credit. Perhaps since most students are from out of state, they aren't familiar with UD's small-school athletics until applying or arriving; but since a lot of UD students are rabid Eagles fans, it balances out somewhat. This isn't to say UD doesn't offer or promote academic events. Debates and lectures on everything from intelligent design and the existence of God to Iraq policy and capital punishment have been offered. UD isn't diverse racially and although may appear diverse geographically since six in 10 students are from out of state, most of the out-of-staters are from the same three states -- Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York -- and this can feel a bit alienating to students from, say, Virginia or New England. But the rumors are true: UD's campus is beautiful, especially in spring.

At the University of Delaware we have an excellent Engineering program, so many people relate the entire body of students to that. Thus common stereotypes include geeks or people that study in the library all the time. However, Greek Life is a big part of the social life here at UD, so then there are the stereotypical Frat bros and Sorority chics. There is a large percentage of Asian and Asian-American students that attend the University of Delaware, to bring back the stereotype of a geeky school. Most of our sports teams are Division II, so we have many Jocks as well. Both of my parents went here and they still associate UD with parties. My Dad was a big party guy but my Mom never left the art studio! There are many stereotypes but UD is a moderately-large University so there is a place for everyone!

I mean for some- yes! But I mean you can find underage drinking at any college. I think that UD isn't as big as a "party" school as it has been in the past. You can definitely find other activities to do on the weekends if drinking isn't your thing. But if it is-- you can always find a party!

Yes, the majority of students are apathetic toward world issues, and only really care about what they are doing for the weekend. There are typically problems between students and townies, however most of the time the townies are the ones who provoke a fight.

Hmm, there are definitely a decent amount of NYers, and I'd say a fair share of Guidos, but not a ton. As for sororities and frats, some of the stereotypes ring true at times. And I did feel that there were plenty of goodlooking people on campus!

used to be a party school - they are cutting down a lot by closing bars and restricting greek life and althetic team social events. there's a lot of diversity, but the same types of people generally hang out together and don't intermingle.

YES! Everyone here is so friendly and has so much school spirit. The campus is beautiful and every building is brick. The kids are pretty preppy but not too much.

There is not much in the way of diversity. However, the students don't all come from upper middle class to upper class backgrounds as many people assume.

some but just because we are mostly white doesnt mean were racist, the same goes with del st. Del state is not in our league when it comes to football.

These types seem to have a big presence at the school but a by no means the majority. There really is a group of people for everyone.