University of Delaware

« See more reviews of University of Delaware

Statistically there are a lot of students who are from Delaware. One, it is cheap for them to attend and in the past UD has accepted many students applying from Delaware. While the cost will remain cheap for these students, admissions is making it very hard for Delaware students to be admitted. UD is a big party school, but I feel this comes from the fact that there isn't much else to the state. Sorry to say it but UD is the state...besides DuPont. There is a ton of stuff to do at UD which does not involve drinking and partying. If you look beyond this stereotype you will find an abundance of activities in just about ever area of interest. And Yes, UD is a big school, but definitely manageable. After being at UD for awhile you realize that you create your own, smaller community within a larger one. I feel it is the best of both worlds: You have the big school there if you want it, and then you also have every chance and opporunity to make a smaller community for your friends and yourself.

Students follow the news and have a general understanding of what's going on concerning university news and politics. However you will have a hard time finding students protesting on UD's campus. Students just don't care that much...The girls are incredible, no doubt about that...More than 60% of the student body is comprised of out-of-state students, which is a good thing because the school lowers its standards when admitting in-state students. Nevertheless, there is a definite distinction between an in-state student and a townie. While many in-state students may not be as smart as out-of-state students, it is not fair to label them townies. Townies are junkies who don't go to college, but still like to linger around campus. They like to squawk at university girls while showing of their tall-tees and backward hats. Gross, and yes, the townie stereotype is accurate.

UD definitely does have its JAPs but they by no means dominate the crowd. my friends were from all over the mid-atlantic region(NJ,NY,PA,MA,DE,VA) with all kinds of interests, majors, and personalities. there's a scene and a mix of people for everyone at UD. the party scene's the same way. there in full force for all interested but the school and main st offer other things to do if it's not your style. especially once i moved off campus, main street became my second home...whether it was $2 25 oz beers at grotto's (miss you!) or people watching while sitting outside at kate's.

In part, yes. A lot of students are in this bubble, more concerned about their day-to-day lives than what's going on in the "real world." But there are plenty of people who are passionate about what they do, whether it's writing for the campus newspaper, leading a service organization, or playing a sport. I've even talked to a number of students who work on local political campaigns.

Somewhat -- the majority of the student body is definitely white, with somewhat of a divide between students, but it is getting better. There are students who are extremely involved and passionate, but I do feel our school generally has fewer protests/demonstrations which people care about and less of a political energy than other schools.

While a lot of partying does go on at UD, I never felt that it was more than what goes on at any large state school, and if you are not into that scene, you certainly can avoid it. However, if you are interested in being very involved in some kind of political organizations or activities, UD might not be the best place for you.

Yes. But what college couldn't be deemed a party school? What matters is that most of the people I know were diligent about their work and are bright, motivated, and successful young adults. Some students obviously had money but it certainly wasn't the majority of the student body.

The lack of diversity is stuck in a cycle because diverse students don't want to come to a school where they will be singled out so I dont feel we are a racist school, and compared to other schools I would say we are average with parties, and its true for the girl stereotype.

Absolutely not. It may have been a more accurate stereotype in the past, however I believe UD has come a long way in being considered a highly regarded University with high standards of education and very intelligent students who work hard.

I definitely do not think so. Although it is the case the in state tuition is cheaper, most of my out of state friends have parents that work very hard to send their children here and are not by any means extremely wealthy.