University of Delaware

« See more reviews of University of Delaware

I was involved in the school newspaper known as The Review and the St. Pats hockey team, which was a team consisting of UD students which played against other students and community teams. The Review was both a job and recreational club. I started out writing sports, and eventually worked my way up to editor. The staff consists solely of students and the administration has no influence what the paper writes, therefore it was not rare for the paper to bash the administration. Meanwhile, the hockey team was more or less a beer league with our best friends. There is really no dating scene at Delaware. It is mostly just the drunken hook ups that could lead to something serious or could just as easily lead to nothing. It is rare for a student to ask another student on a date, unless it is Valentine’s Day or a Greek date party. I met my closest friends by living with them in the dorms freshman and sophomore year, and through my involvement on the newspaper staff and hockey team. At 2 am on a weeknight you are usually either cramming for a test or watching a movie…meanwhile on a weekend you are probably walking back from the bar (they close at 1am in Delaware which is horrible) and walking to a party or a friend’s house to continue to drink. A typical weekend goes as follows: Thursday night – if you are under 21 you will probably just hang out with your friends and if you drink you’ll probably just stay in and play games. If you are 21 you will most likely go to Deer Park or Grottos. Friday and Saturday night – pregame at your house or dorm then go to a party (also if you are 21 you may pregame at Grottos). If you are not a drinker, you can go see a movie at Trabant, see either an inprov group or play, ice skating, gym, etc. There are always non-alcoholic events on campus. Greek Life is only big to the people who are in fraternities and sororities. Otherwise they might as well not exist. I did have a number of friends in sororities who would invite my friends and I to their date parties which are always fun. And freshmen and sophomores will often rely on Greek houses for parties since most of their friends do not get apartments until junior year. Freshman and sophomore year I was probably off campus 40 percent of the time, whereas junior and senior year I was off campus 90 percent of the time. Newark is a small town with one major street, ironically called Main Street. Once I moved off campus, I spent most of my time on Main Street.

Clubs here are called RSO's, and there are literally hundreds of them. During the first week of fall semester they have the RSO fair where the student center Trabant is completely lined with booths where you can sign up for or just find out about all the different clubs. There is truly something for everyone. there are groups that range from the rock climbing club to intramural sports teams to a cappella groups to the chocolate club, and hundreds more. There are also a ton of university wide events. Last semester Wiz Khalifa performed here, and the big rumor on campus is that LMFAO is coming this semester. Frats and sororities have gotten pretty big here, and you will definitely see a lot of it around campus, especially in the spring during formal rush. If greek life isn't your thing, then that is totally fine too. I am not in a sorority although a ton of my friends are, and I have absolutely no problems finding things to stay busy with all the time. Dorm life is definitely one of the best parts about living on campus. There are the stereotypical party freshman dorms like Rodney and Harrington, and then the quieter dorms like Russel and Thompson, but of course this changes every year with new students. There is currently a lot of construction going on to build this huge new freshman dorm complex with bigger, suite style rooms that should be ready by next year.

There are hundreds of Registered Student Organizations. SCPAB - the event-planning group seems to be everywhere and has a lot of members. Greek Life also has a lot of members. There aren't just panhallenic frats and sororities - there are major-specific ones, community services ones, and an honors frat. Popular activities include for those over 21, going to bars on weeknights and weekends. For under 21, frat parties, house parties, appt. parties. During the week students go to the library and student centers Trabant and Perkins to study and do work. Dorms have lounges that a lot of people use. People also go to club meetings and to the gym during the day. The gym is always crowded. Various speakers come to the school weekly. This year the Center for Political Communication held a National Agenda series, where politics experts came to speak. Chris Christie is coming next week. There are also often film series. There's something do to daily whether it's being sponsored by a club or an academic department. There's also movies for $3 every Wednesday and Friday and Saturday and a comedian every Tuesday. The school has 2 student-run theater programs which put on productions frequently. There's also a professional acting program called the REP which is top-rated. There are a lot of music concerts to go to as well.

The most popular team on campus is definitely the football team. There are greek organizations. I'm involved with Public Relations Students Society of America which has speakers from different PR backgrounds come and speak. There are also opportunities to go to PR conferences. In some dorms, students leave their doors, but when I lived in the dorms, no one had their doors open. Football is extremely popular but I'm not sure how popular other athletic events are. I don't really think there is a dating scene. I met my one close friend freshman year and then she introduced me to my other close friend sophomore year. My other close friends are also from freshman year. If you are awake at 2am on Tuesday you are probably studying. Homecoming happens every year and is a big deal. People party pretty often. Frats and sororities aren't that important but I always feel like I see people wearing their letters all the time. Last weekend I went to one of my study abroad friend's party and then hung out with my bffs. On Saturday, you can go to movies at the student center. Off campus, I either go to Philly or go to the mall. Or go see movies.

Greek life is probably the most popular organization on campus, intermural sports are pretty popular too. I've played IM indoor and outdoor soccer, softball, and dodgeball, it was very fun each time. Would definitely do it again. Almost everyone leaves their doors open in the dorms. Athletic events are pretty popular, mostly the football, mens basketball and lacrosse games. I met my closest friends from undergrad through people on my hall who had friends from high school that were also going here. 2am on a tuesday if I was up, I would either be studying or hanging out with friends. Frats and sororities are not terribly important. If its something you choose to do, there are many other people who choose to as well, and many others who its not their thing. Last weekend I went out with friend and to Baltimore. On saturday instead of drinking you can go bowling, go out for pizza, stay in with friends and watch a movie, go to the movies... there are many options. I do all those previous activities off campus

Intramural sports are big at the University of Delaware. Students love to get involved with sports such as basketball, volleyball, soccer, etc. There are several leagues that are based on how intense the competition is. Also, there are co-ed leagues for some sports as well as Greek leagues. In each and every dorm, there are a variety of people. A lot of students leave their doors open, but even if they don't, almost all students are willing to hangout and have a friendly conversation. You just need to find your group--if your roommate goes to bed at 12 but you want to stay up, there are always kids down the hall willing to stay up with you and hangout. On the weekends, fraternities are pretty big with parties. There are also a lot of house parties though. Your options of what you can do on the weekends depends on the people that you know and meet. This is why it is important to leave your door open and make friends with everyone.

Sororities/fraternities and sports teams- club/varsity/intramural Chi Omega Yes- most social students keep their doors open Football events were popular- others not as much but depends on the sport We attended guest speakers through Greek Life I never knew anything about theater throughout undergrad I met my closest friends in the dorms, in my sorority, in classes and through going out 2 am on a Tuesday- studying Homecoming, Greek Week, Football tailgates, Mixers People party about 3 nights a week on average- obviously some do more and some less Sororities and fraternities are very important. They are instrumental to philanthropy, campus activities, etc. They form a strong social network that is beneficial to many people. They provide structure and a schedule outside of classes. Saturday night- you can go to the movies, go out to dinner, stay in and play board games/watch a movie

1. greek life is very, very popular, and so are athletic teams. SCPAB is big. 2. Chi Omega was a great choice - not the typical sorority, welcomes individuality and filled with unique girls who are down-to-earth, genuinely fun, intelligent, kind young women. 3. in most dorms, yes 4. football is big when they are doing well. lacrosse, too. 5. speakers and theatre is there for those who want to enjoy it. 6. dating scene is there! everyone wants to meet people and there's fun places around campus to go on dates. 7. freshman dorm and sorority 8. hanging out with friends 9. chapelfest in fall and spring, homecoming, greek week 10. every night there is something to do 11. they are popular and prevalant, but do not dominate social life, just a fun thing to add more to your social calendar. 12. bars and house parties with friends 13. go to a movie, play or sporting event 13. shopping, restaurants

Greek life appeals to many students and there are definitely a lot of students involved. That being said, it is not NEARLY as big a deal here as it is at other schools. You certainly won't be a loser with no friends if you don't rush. Club and intramural sports are popular and teams become very close, as well as clubs such as the sailing team (most people don't even know how to sail) and others that enjoy shared interests and end up drinking together and forming lasting friendships. UD doesn't have any notable traditions. There is a major drinking/partying scene here, but if you don't drink the school and different clubs organize various activities so you won't be sitting in on a Saturday night. For students who don't drink but are open to it or for students who drink but don't think of it as a major part of their lives, a happy medium may be hard to find.

There are plenty of clubs to pick from and the school hosts an activity night or two each semester. If you have a sport that you are good enough at, a lot of people do club sports. If you are interested in volunteering, there are innumerable options from AIDS relief to tutoring. SCPAB puts on movies and concerts for the school and is a lot of fun. Fraternities are a big party scene and a lot of people join them, but as long as you're involved in something they aren't necessary. People order food in a lot late at night and DP Dough (calzones) is the first choice. A lot of people party and it is a big thing on the weekends. Everybody in my dorm leaves their doors open if they aren't studying and I've gotten a family feeling from it. Athletic events are what you make of them. It's not huge here, but enough students go that it's still fun.