University of Delaware

« See more reviews of University of Delaware

What do I dislike about my school? Drinking. It's a problem faced by college campuses across the nation. I consider it the worst fault about the university I attend, if others exist. Why endanger yourselves, influence your friends, and dissapoint or worry your family, when the cup in your hands gets the best of you? Poor judgement, lowered boundaries to temptation, and aggressive driving could all result from the seemingly harmless but very dangerous act of lifting that beer to your lips. To this day, how many college students have been mobbed, rapped, or even killed because of alcohol?

The University of Delaware is a fairly large school that is located in the middle of Newark, Delaware. Although University of Delaware and Newark police strive for public safety, the City of Newark is not the safest place. There have been countless cases of theft and assault that occurs late at night, especially on the weekend. To combat this, students are encouraged walk in groups late at night and be aware of emergency phones that have been placed throughout the campus. Despite this danger, the University of Delaware is still a fantastic University that is constantly improving itself.

I believe the worst thing about my school is educational guidance. My school makes it a point for students to not be pressured in choosing a specific major their freshamn or sophmore year. It is widely accepted to be undecided for underclassman. However, I belive this is a financial advantage to the university. When many students are undecided they usually do not graduate on time unless they take an enormous amount of credits or take summer and winter classes. Classes in semesters other than in fall or spring means more money for the school.

The worst thing about Delaware would be the consistency of the quality of its food. In the entire campus there are four main dining halls where students can eat. However of those few four there is usually one which lags way behind the rest in terms of overall food quality, availability, and seating. Delaware needs to make sure that all their facilities provide the same quality no matter where there location is on campus. This would make it easier to choose housing because eating would not be a factor.

I consider the lack of diversity the worst thing about our school. Our community is predominantly white, and I think that is a turn-off for perspective students of diverse backgrounds. I believe that part of going to college is getting out of your comfort zone and gaining as many new experiences as possible. Being a part of a diverse campus can create so many new opportunities for all students, of all backgrounds to learn how other people have lived and how different cultures have shaped other's lives.

There is an abundance of drinking on campus which I'm okay with, but there is also an abundance of drug use, which I strongly dislike. There is a certain sorority that is notorious for their cocaine use. My freshman year a girl in the building next to me died from a heroin overdose. Every weekend there are several people who are taken to hospital for drinking way too much. I'd say 25% of the campus smokes pot. If someone wanted something, they could easily get their hands on it on this campus.

The worst thing about the school would be the lack of a winning football team. Sounds strange but such an achievement tends to bring the school together under one mantle. Two years ago when the school went to the finals and won, the amount of brotherhood (and sisterhood) present on the school grounds was palpable. Random greetings with everyone on the paths, everyone was beaming, it was the greatest school spirit moment. There is a base level of school spirit, but at that time it was ridiculous.

The worst thing about school would be adjusting to the new environment when first arriving. It is very different from high school and requires alot of maturing and devotion to succeed in. After you adjust to the new system of classes, registering for classes, living away from home the worst thing is trying to manage your time. There is so much going on in campus life that you want to do it all, socially, sports wise, academically and trying to work all at the same time can be difficult.

I think the worst thing about my school is probably the location. I grew up in the suburbs, and it has always been my dream to go to a city school where there is a lot to do. I chose my university not based off of geographical location, but because I really love the university However, the biggest downfall of my school is that there is not a city nearby that I could go to to attend a play or see a museum. There isn't as much to do on my campus because there is no city surrounding it.

I consider the worst thing about my school the size of my engineering classes. As we progress in engineering, our options in classes are limited. Each mechanical engineering class I am enrolled in includes all 90 or so of my fellow junior mechanical engineers. I had thought that as I completed each year, the classes would get smaller. Also, because my classes include all of the mechanical engineers from my year, I do not have any options as to when and with whom I take my classes.