University of Delaware

« See more reviews of University of Delaware

The worst thing about my school is the public transportation available to places off-campus. Perhaps it is my own unique experience biasing my opinion, however there are no trains or buses that go to my home in central New Jersey. Furthermore, any buses or trains to the city are painstakingly expensive, so sometimes it can feel a bit stuffy on campus. It is also extremely expensive to have a car on campus, so even individual transportation home can be limited.

The freedom that I have as a college student has been both the best and the worst thing. In high school, my mother set the rules and my schedule. As a college Freshman, I make my own schedule decisions. It is really easy to make mistakes. At "UD" there is no one to tell you when to study or not to socialize when it is time to work. I had to become an adult in just one semester! I don't know if it is the same at other colleges, but it is that way at mine.

The worst thing about the University of Delaware may be the lack of flexibility in developing and being actively involved in one's own class schedule and studies throughout a students stay. I believe that Universities should allow for students to create their own agenda with a focus, but also leave room for exploration. If I am working and paying for my education, I want to also receive the education the suits me, and not the University.

The worst thing about my school is that it doesn't feel like a close community. It feels like everyone is seperated by different races, genders, and even just plain old looks. The thing that I loved about my high school is that everyone came together and everyone was different. From what i've heard college is supposed to be this big mixing pool of different types of people that want to be exposed to different types of personalities.

I think the worst thing about the University of Delaware is it's lack of diversity. Unlike most larger schools that have a variety of students migrating from all areas of the United States and even other countries, Delaware's student base is mainly pooled from neighboring highschools. At Delaware the college experience is more like a continuation of high school rather than a new enlightening experience with new people.

My least favorite thing about UD is the high cost of living. I had to live at home this year because I couldn't afford to live in a dorm, and the ridiculous prices of parking, tuition, and books have drained our college funds. I don't want to take out Student Loans, I don't want my parents to use their retirement savings, and I'm supposed to practice my violin 4 hours a day, so I can't get a job. I feel stuck.

The school is very diverse... but only if you know where to look. For the most part it is full of cookie-cutter sorority girls/ frat boys. They all act, dress, talk, and party the same way. If you are interested in that kind of social life, whether occassional or often, it is the right school. otherwise, it is annoying. Many times they are distracting to those who actually have to work to earn their degree.

The only problem I have come in contact is the housing services. Not the people themselves but just the way that they, in general, handle their business. I had the worse roommate situation as a freshman. The way that they expected us to live together after we showed a dislike in each other. They expected us to use different rooms for a couple of days because they couldn't do anything.

I consider the distance some of the freshmen dorms are from the main campus the worst thing about my school. I don't like the fact that my fellow peers and I have to walk between 15-20 minutes to get to some of our classes, especially for our early morning classes. In nice, warm weather the walk can be good, but when one might be rushing to class in the cold weather it's not so nice.

The worst thing about the school is that the staff believes that all students need to be aware of the 'plight and discrimination' that the minorities around us have endured. In doing so they single out the minorities and do exaclty what they tell us not to do. There is too much focus on the issue of race, when the vast majority of the students at UD are white anyway.