University of Delaware

« See more reviews of University of Delaware

The University of Delaware is absolutely the perfect school for me, embodying everything I wanted in a school, such as a spirited community, a fun and beautiful campus, and wonderful academics and professors. One of my favorite things about the school is the feeling of pride on campus, no matter what day it is. I also love seeing both new faces and old friends every day while walking to class, or wherever else I may be going! Main Street, the school's fun "downtown", is the PERFECT college town, full of frozen yogurt shops, clothing boutiques, delicious restaurants, book stores, coffee shops...you name it, it's there! Everybody loves Main Street, not just students, and it is a fun place to go in-between classes or at night with friends! People have positive reactions when they hear I attend the University of Delaware. People always tell me, "OH I know someone that went there who absolutely LOVED IT...", and I always respond by saying, "I am yet to meet a single person who doesn't." The school's strong academics combined with it's ubiquitous pride and magnificent campus provide the University of Delaware with a great reputation, and I am proud to be part of a school which is reflected positively in so many different ways. Some of the main issues around campus include things such as difficult parking, and theft. However, these issues are manageable and preventable. The parking is not as bad as it seems, as long as you remember to feed the meters and know where the main parking garages are located. Also, campus safety at UD is extremely proactive and works successfully not only to limit the amount of theft or other campus crimes, but also to teach students how to be safe on campus. Personally, I feel extremely safe here and know that, similar to anywhere else, as long as I am smart about my personal safety and about keeping my personal items in my possession, I will avoid any such issues. The University of Delaware has a unique and special aura that is hard to understand until you are a student here. The feeling I have on campus is special, and is something I hope to keep in my heart and memories interminably. Whether you are laying on the "green" with friends on a sunny spring day, studying on Main Street, or attending class, you will always be happy, intrigued, enthusiastic about what lies ahead, and thankful you made the decision to attend the University of Delaware.

In one sentence: the University of Delaware is a great school and I don't regret my decision to come at all. It's gaining prestige and recognition and there are a ton of opportunities. Plus the actual campus is beautiful. Main Street was also a major draw for me - it is central and has a variety of restaurant and stores which allow you to get off campus if you want. There is no one type of student, a lot of us are from similar backgrounds - middle/upper-middle class white students from NY, NJ, PA, DE, but it is up to you to choose what you want to make out of your time here. Because it is a larger school, there are a ton of opportunities. You have to take initiative to find your place at the school; you can choose to take advantage of the clubs, job and research opportunities, speakers, study abroad, Greek life, etc. or not. It's a good place to find who you are by trying different things, but you have to make that choice. RAs and professors can suggest things, but there is a lot of independence. Sometimes I feel the school is too big, physically - you have to walk a lot, and there are a lot of people. It can be overwhelming. However, I see people I know everywhere - in every class this semester I knew at least one person already. There is school pride, but I'd like if there was more. The students can seem fragmented, especially since we don't go to football games much anymore this year because police are cracking down on tailgating more than previous years. Also because every student has their own niche and gets involved in a specific set of activities. Many of the academic programs are strong and I've liked almost every professor I've had. I like that most foreign language classes are capped at around 20. The biggest class I've had is 300, but the professor is friendly in office hours and responds to emails. There is always something to do on the weekends whether you party or not. There is a good party scene, but I don't think it's too out-of-hand. Greek Life is about 17% so their presence is clear, but if you don't join you don't feel excluded. One thing I hate is getting home to NY - Amtrak is very expensive, I did not know that until I came. The Greyhound and Megabus go to Wilmington, which is a drive from campus.

1. best thing about UD: once you join greek life, sports teams or other extracurricular groups, the campus shrinks down and you start to see people you know everywhere! 2. keep more bars open, utilize ud/newark cops to help keep parties under control without punishing the attendees, don't use greek groups or teams to punish those participating 3. perfect size!! 4. people still think its a party school, but the academics are starting to speak for themselves. 5. loved hanging out in trabant during class changes to people watch or run into people. kates and grottos on a nice day outside 6. college town!!! 7. they make a lot of rules that they refuse to break even if there is a legitimate reason. you can only take certain classes if you are that major, which restricts people who just have an intersted in that subject to take that class, even if there is room 8. noise violations - newark police started issuing tickets and fines to people if there was 'too much noise' coming from their house or apt. this noise did not always come from crazy paties, though. people got in trouble for having a group of friends overlistnening to moderatly volumed music during the day instead of spending their resources on protecting UD from robberies and rapes. 9. medium - a lot more when our football team is doing well. 10. we have a 5-week winter session that you can go abroad, take more classes at ud, work, intern or go home. 10. everything about being greek!! - rush, greek weeks, homecomings 11. parking tickets and not enough bars

The best thing about Delaware is the people (both students and professors). Delaware is a medium-sized school which means you get to know a fair amount of different people and you can easily become tight with professors within your major. As nice as the campus is, it was my friends and professors that made my experience at Delaware great. If I could change one thing about the school, I’d wish it were safer. While I attended Delaware there were many assaults, a serial rapist, and the murder of a student. Although every city has its crime issues, it came as a shock to the student body that these crimes were being committed in a small town like Newark. Although the administration is trying to step up its safety, the university still needs to up the ante. When people first hear I go to UD they often comment on the nice campus and how they hear “it is a fun school.” Well I spent most of my time in the student newspaper office, The Review, but besides working there I spent most of my time on-campus at Memorial Hall and Perkins Student Center. However, the majority of my time junior and senior year took place off-campus. Probably my favorite experience was living in Harrington Hall sophomore year. That is where I met most of my best friends today, and we had a pretty wild floor with a laid back RA.

The best thing about UD is the large amount of activities that students can involve themselves in. The school spirit is also a great thing about UD. I would change the way UD tries to utilize technology. Most of the time, the server doesn't work and it makes things difficult. Also the library should be open past 12. I think it's just right. It's large enough that you don't know everyone but small enough that you always recognize people. When I tell people that I go to UD they either say, oh the Blue Hens, or why did you choose that school? I spend most of my time at the school newspaper because I work there, or in the library. Definitely a college town. I don't really have an opinion of the UD administration. The most recent controversy involved the Resident Life Organization. There is a huge amount of school pride. UD is in a college town that has residents that do not like college students, which I find very unusual. And it's not a good thing. Any experiences with my friends I will remember, but definitely my study abroad to London. I'm glad that UD has the opportunity for students to study anywhere in the world. The most frequent student complaints probably include academics.

I absolutely love UD! In fact, I don't think I have ever had a conversation with a student or an alumni who has had anything but great things to say about the school. It is technically "medium sized" but I feel like it has the perfect amount of people. Although there are about 16,000 undergrads, I always see people i know wherever I go on campus. I really love this, because it creates a great sense of community. One of my favorite things about the school would have to be Main St. this is one long street that cuts through the middle of campus, and contains everything a college student could possibly need. There are tons of awesome restaurants, a cupcake shop, two frozen yogurt places, tons of places to buy clothes, a pharmacy, bookstores, and much more. My personal favorite is SAS Cupcakes. It is this little cupcake shop with the most delicious homemade icing I have ever tasted. The campus is absolutely gorgeous, which can be especially appreciated if your professor lets you have class on the green, which has happened to me this week! Gotta love lenient spanish professors. Overall, I cant imagine being at any other school.

I would change how strict parking is, you can't even go to the gym and park unless you have a parking permit. The school is just the right size, however the gyms and fitness facilities could be a lot larger because they cant accommodate all the students. When people hear that I go/went to UD they are impressed, some have called it "a diamond in the ruff" I spend most of my time in McKinly lab in the physical therapy department because I am now a PT grad student here. This is definately a college town, Main Street makes it. UD's administration professor-wise I think is excellent. When it comes to administration and dealing with people such as residency chairs, financial aid people, etc. I have had poor experiences with them and find them a little rude. There is a ton of school pride here. Example is how many people made the trip to Chattanoga, TN to cheer on the football team this fall in the superbowl. The experience I will always remember was my time I spent studying abroad in Peru and Australia and New Zealand. Most frequent student complaints deal with the lack of gym space.

Overall, I found the University of Delaware to be an extremely positive experience. I have no regrets whatsoever about my time at the school. I found the size to be just right, I could relate with a large majority of the student body. As a Geography major, I participated in a few projects in which I discovered the relations between the town and gown were not overly spectacular. While Delaware has all the components that make up a "college town," because of the poor relations between the student body and the local residents, I think it takes away from the feel of a college town. I think that the residents should have taken more pride in the school and conversely, the students should have given more respect to the community. In my opinion, building such a bond would increase the feeling of Newark as a "college town." At the same time, the local youth population in Newark and the surrounding areas created major animosity between the student body and the local population. "Townies" frequently created disturbances at UD gatherings and justifiably became stereotyped.

If you are from out of state and you go to this school, be prepared to answer the question, "Where's Delaware?" A lot of people are not familiar with this state and some are even unaware of its existence. Besides that, University of Delaware has a great reputation in Delaware and is known as one of the best colleges in the state. The size of the university is just right; not too big but, not too small either. The city of Newark is basically the university and there are tons of places to shop, eat, and there is never a shortage of things to do. The professors are all very helpful and passionate about what they teach. My favorite thing about this school is the rich academic environment and the sheer amount of choices available for classes! Most students here have an abundance of school pride and the campus is very beautiful. There are no complaints other than the tuition is getting pricier by the year.

Best thing about UD- great all around college. Great campus/town, likeable students, great education for a good value, there are things to do and get involved in. I would stop the school from getting so involved with Greek life. Right size. I get positive responses when people hear that I graduated from UD. I spent most of my junior and senior year on main street. Colelge town. Administration- it depends. Some people were very helpful and some were not. I had some professors who I really did not care for and that makes the classes much less enjoyable. Controversy on campus- safety issues and Greek life issues Yes there is school pride. I will always remember my entire experience at UD- homecomings, being in a sorority, winning the football championship my freshman year, and everything else. Complaints- dining hall food isn't good, dorms aren't nice/too far from things