University of Delaware

« See more reviews of University of Delaware

LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS SCHOOL. THE END.

UD FOOTBALL

The best thing about UD? There is literally something for everyone. If you just get out of that dorm room and research some stuff going on, you'll realize how many groups, activities, sports, etc. there are to get involved with. You can start your own club if you want. You can go see new movies in our theater, see special acts like Jon Stewart and Dane Cook. You can eat at our famous restaurant Vita Nova which has been given 4 stars and run by the hotel restaurant and instutional management students. You can get a job on main street, at the mall, or on campus. You can write for the newspaper, become involved with a club that reflects your academic interest, play on an intramural sport, take dance lessons, take music lessons, take art lessons. Anything you have in mind, we have it. One thing I would change about the school...the parking. It seems stupid but it honestly is a mess and very frustrating. Where ever you park you have to worry about getting a ticket. But if thats the worst thing about UD...well then I'd say we have it pretty good here. My school is just right. People hear 16,000 undergrads and almost die. They think it is ridiculously too big. I think it's perfect. If you give it a chance you will soon realize how small it really is. As the days, weeks, months, and years go by you recognize the same people in your classes, out at night, or just walking around. You create how big or small it is...how many colleges can offer you that? People always react positively when I say I go to UD. They either say "Oh wow that school is so hot right now everyone I know is applying, but its hard to get in." or "oh I hear UD is a lot of fun and everyone I know that goes there loves it" and of course "UD...thats in Newark right? As in Newark NJ?" As an ungrad I spent most of my time at my resident hall/appartment, my friends places, Sharp lab (for physics) and of course the beautiful and wonderful main street. COLLEGE TOWN 100% UD has a rather new administration this year since President Roselle has recently retired and President Harker has taken over. My parents are co-presidents of the Parent Board here and I have had the pleasure to meet everyone high up in administration. They are without a doubt the nicest and most intellegent people I have ever met. Although it may be hard to show with a larger school, they really do care about the students. Every morning President Roselle took a walk around campus with his wife, Louisa, to show his love for the school and its students. Roselle has brought in a ridiculous amount of money for research and renovations. There are new buildings going up everywhere for classes, administration, and dorming. There are so many opportunities to do research for the school and GET PAID FOR IT. All the Deans are so pleasant and constantly ask me what THEY can do to improve their school. The new President, Dr. Harker, started off by going around to each dining hall and eating with the students for weeks to talk to them, get to know them, show them he's real, and ask them what he can do to improve their experience at UD. There is nothing bad to say about the administration and if you can think of anything I challenge you to let me know...I'm sure I can prove you wrong. Biggest recent controversy...this past fall a former student of UD wrote for ESPN (I think) that UD is racist and refuses to play Delaware State because we don't want to be associated with them. There are so many things wrong with this assumption that if I get into it, you'll be reading for hours. Besides the fact that the person is a former UD student which shows how pathetic and disgraceful he is, the accusation was completely out of line and just plane wrong. To prove so we did play Delaware State this past fall in Football...and beat the shit out of them. There is a TON OF PRIDE at UD...from the students walking around campus with UD clothing on to the pride shown at our sports games. Just go to a UD football game and you'll see how much pride we have...but get there early or you'll find no seats. UD has an unusual smell. I'm not kidding. It has been around since I started school here and I'm pretty sure longer than that. There is some talk that it comes from mushroom farms down south, but who really knows. It is the worst in the cold winter mornings. You get used to it though I will always remember the month I studied abroad in Australia and New Zealand. UD is ranked #1 in study abroad. We go to every continent and over 100 countries. It was the best month of my life. Other than that...graduation...I will never forget it. The most frequent complaints from students are about the parking...like I addressed above.

I'd say the size of Delaware is just right. It's big enough where that there's room to be involved in an array of school sponsered activities and meet a wide range of students. But it's small enough that after a semester you can feel at home there and by the end of your four years you'll see many familiar faces on the walks to class and around campus. UD used to be known as a "party school" which results in some somewhat negative reactions when people hear that I went to UD. Partying is pretty prevalent on campus but it really has shifted away from being a "party school." Having worked in admissions, I can say that UD gets more selective every year and is rising in the ranks academically. The party scene is there if you want it but there is plenty of opportunity to get a respectable education. I believe its academic status will overshadow its former reputation in the years to come. Newark, DE is a college town. Some people may see this as a negative as you may not seem to escape the college atmosphere. I enjoyed it after moving off campus because while you acquire independence odds are your friends are living in a house down the street. Since there's such a high percentage of students living off campus, there is great opportunity to meet your neighbors. Recent controversy on campus would probably be security in Newark, DE. Several muggings, among other incidents, make it a little sketchy to walk around Newark alone at night. I would say walking directly on campus is generally safe, as there are more security measures in place. The football team has been quite competitive recently (they won the championship in 2003.) Consequently, there is school pride on campus but I wouldn't say it's overwhelming. The games give you something to do on weekends and are usually a good time. I wouldn't say there is anything particularly unusual about UD. You could probably have similar experiences at serveral schools around the same area. My overall experience at UD was positive. The size of and activities at UD, as well as the general atmosphere, make it easy to make new freinds. While I received a good education and enjoyed my actual time spent on campus, I've found that it's the specific friends I met that made my college experience as good as it was.

The best thing about Delaware is the quintessential/classic college experience it offers. We have our little Main Street, beautiful green, large but not dominant Greek life, solid academics, a good bar scene and we surely know how to party. If I could change one thing I would switch the 60/40 girl/guy ratio in the other direction. Good guys are scarce. When I tell people I go to UD they either don't know much about it, have heard there is a good social life, or "have a friend who goes there as LOVES it!" I spend most of my time on Main Street. While I spent more time in Trabant while I lived on campus, not that I live off Main Street I definitely spend more time there. UD is definitely in a college town. I loved Roselle, the former president who just retired this summer, but jury's still out about Harker. He seems nice enough, but I'll wait to see what he does before I judge him. The biggest controversy of recent was the closing of The Stone Balloon, the historic bar and music venue. They had mug night every Thursday, and I think the bar scene took a hit when it closed. There is definitely a lot of school pride. Kids are proud to tell everyone they go to UD. Football games are fun, though many just make it to the parking lot to tailgate. When we went to the championship this year students traveled to Chattanooga TN to see the game. I can't think of anything that is too unusual. I will always remember watching the championship game at Grotto's (even though we lost horribly). The most frequent complaints are that there aren't enough bars on Main Street, we don't recycle, and it's not safe.

The best thing about UD is the students. They are basically all normal. There is not one specific "type" but most people are laid back and not too snooty or weird. If there was one thing I would change it would be the number of townies that hang around Newark. I love the University of Delaware but I hate the state. I think the school is just the right size but it needs more boys. When I tell people I go to UD they usually say thats pretty cool and they ask if i know other people who they know go there. It is a college town but there's not much of a "town" mostly just one block of main street with a few places to eat and maybe 4 bars. I do not really have a problem with the UD administration. I like that they are trying to raise the bar and make the school more elite. There have been race relations problems on campus where minority students felt violated by other students who dressed up for a theme party. It was pretty ridiculous and the minority students took it way too far. I think there is a lot of school pride, not quite as much as other bigger schools, but a good amount. There really isn't anything unusual about UD. The experience that I will never forget is my study abroad experience in South Africa. I think the most frequent complaints are about the alcohol policy that is way too strict.

The best thing about UD is the comfortable, college campus atmosphere created by the beautiful campus, main street and small town which seems to exist because of the school. It is also close enough to Philly, Baltimore and other big cities to not feel like it is in the middle of no where. It is a big enough school that you feel like you have a lot of resources at your fingertips, opportunities and new people to meet, but small enough that you don't feel like you get lost. It is easy to get involved and make a place for yourself if you want to. I would like to change the distance between the administration and the students since it does feel like it is difficult to get guidance if you need it and the councellors have a hard time really helping you with scheduling. The biggest controversy stemmed from the diversity program in our residence halls, which was a result of the administration trying to close the gap between black and white students. School pride is only really seen during football season, and I do wish we had a stronger athletic department that could help to build school spirit.

The best thing at Delaware is the people. The professors are always open to discussion in the classroom and in office hours. The size of the school was perfect. I went to a much larger school as a freshman and never regretted transfering to a medium sized school. People don't think very high of the school right now (but that may be because I live in New York amongst NYU and Columbia graduates). I spent most of my time with friends. The school work wasn't ovrly intense so I was able to spend a lot of time hanging out in the dorms or in off-campus houses or bars. The current administration is a joke. I'm not sure about Harker as I wasn't there when he was, but many of the higher ups don't know how to handle controvoursey, racial relations or the media. The is a lot of school pride, which goes to the next question. The unusual thing about Delaware is that you feel like you are a part of something. I felt like I was part of a community with the students or professors. The one experience I'll always remember is hanging out at Grottos along the patio, drinking 22s between classes.

Overall, this school is absolutely amazing. I love going here and there are so many opportunities if you look for them. I think its exactly the right size especially for my major, foreign languages, so you really get to personally know your professors and better practice your skills. All the alumni I have happened to meet outside of school and those who I have told that I go to the University of Delaware have an overwhelmingly positive response, especially in reaction to the program my school offers for foreign languages which is technically my major: Three Languages. Aside from the critical languages I study (Chinese, Arabic and Russian) there are ample opportunities to study other languages which excites me and many other students. Aside from the program that allows me to study three different languages under one degree, I would say the best thing about UD is being able to be so close to peers and professors because of the size. It gives way to genuine connections with people that care about you and want to help you succeed in any way they can.

The best thing about UD is the location. I love how I can be home in an hour. It's also only a few hours away from Washington, D.C., Baltimore, Philadelphia and New York. I think the size is just right. I graduated with 750 other seniors, so I was used to large classes and many students. I also came from the suburbs so I was used to being in a town. (Actually, I think Newark is smaller than my hometown.) I spend most of my time in my apartment and the library. When I was in the dorms, though, I spent some time studying on The Green. It's really beautiful during the Spring. It is definitely a college town. On the weekends on Main Street, you'll see all the 21-year-olds and older going to the bars. I think UD's administration is doing an okay job. I don't really have any complaints. The biggest recent controversy on campus was the whole FIRE-diversity training thing. There are people on campus who have a lot of school pride and people who don't. But I think for the most part, people do have school pride. Homecoming is always fun.