University of Delaware

« See more reviews of University of Delaware

Dear Paul Ojewoye, College is more intense compare to high school. There is a lot more work and stress. To be success you have to be more persistent, focus and discipline. Do not let all the circumstances in life and college put you down. Just constantly work hard using a time table to manage so much work in so little time. It?s also important to have a little fun by going to the gym, playing ball and pool, but do not get carried away, it will put you off track. Having fun helps relief stress and breaks the routine of just lectures and studying all the time. Another important thing is find a tutor for all your classes. Even though, you may think you do not need tutoring it helps to have something to fall back on if the class does go smoothly. Try to study with people who have good study habits and work hard. It is kind of contagious to study if you are around people who are very focus. They will inspire you to study. Finally, stay with RISE and SSSP. The programs give you many advices that are advantageous to follow. Sincerely, College Paul Ojewoye

What I have gotten the most out of my college experience is a diverse, well rounded academic and nonacademic education. As I stated in the previous essay, taking advantage of the many clubs, organizations and interest groups on my college campus has helped mold the person I am today: well rounded, with various interests, and a broad background in the areas of arts, sciences and community service. Classes and textbooks are essential to a good education, but it should be supplemented with real life experiences. My extracurricular activies at my college campus are an extremely valuable component of my education. I took ballet and ballroom dance classes, studied music theory and piano, watched the school play and orchestra and band performances. These experiences helped develop an appreciation for the arts and music. Participating in community service, - volunteering in soup kitchens, fundraising and walking 5K's has instilled in me a strong sense of community, leadership and civic duty. Additionally, working in the University office of annual giving, raising money for the school helped me to develop a sense of pride in the University, and a strong desire to help others and to give back to those who have helped me.

Now a transfer student at a different University of Delaware campus, I look back at my time spent at the Newark, Delaware UD campus as more like a trip to an alien planet than a milestone of long-awaited independence and freedom. This unfortunate memory, though beneficial in having experienced it, is irrefutably attributed to my improper and incomprehensive college search during my senior year of high school. Urged by a long history of family attendance and the realism of financial constraints, I handicapped my chances at happiness and diversity by applying to only one school: the University of Delaware. What hampered my spirits most at the Newark, DE campus was the bizarre and alien atmosphere. I have always relatively been in the social majority; however, in Newark, I was undeniably cast into the social minority. The wild behavior and academic disregard of many of the out-of-state students bewildered me. If any advice could be given to my high school senior self, it would emphatically stress the importance of careful and thorough college searching, and as far as regarding college options, stress the revision of my previous mindset of limitation to a mindset of infinite possibilities and opportunities.

How do we root out the unworthy and grasp the future that we crave or crave for our children? Landing that dream college is no longer a sweat, as an experienced hand shall guide you through. When selecting a school, the most crucial factor is career. What college offers the majors you or your child desires? How prestigous is that program and job-marketability within the school? Finally, is it attainable for you or your child? (Remember, not everyone is Harvard material!) If you had answered yes, then the school offers a promising start. Next, take a look at personal preferences. Ready for chilly Alaska, sandy Oregon, or sweltering Florida? Want a populated campus or small, personalized classes? Finally, does it offer extracurriculars you wish to continue? Now with the leftovers, consider runnerup factors of importance: campus location and quality. Students, do you prefer to journey miles from home or rebuild local connections? Parents, do you encourage their choice? Finally, can you financially afford college out-of-state? Next, if the school has a superior reputation, up-to-date facilities, and a respected faculty then, give it a thumbs up. Soon enough, you have landed the college of your dreams.

I would encourage parents and prospective college students to visit a variety of schools in different settings, varying levels of competitiveness, and with a range of student ethnicity. It is best to keep an open mind regarding different schools. One never knows what environment one will enjoy until it is experienced first hand. For example, just because a school sounds large when considering the number of students that attend, doesn?t mean it will feel big while walking around the campus. Also, try to picture oneself attending the school while on a tour. Ask oneself questions like, ?Could I see myself walking to class here?? or ?Could I see myself hanging out with these people?? With the price of college rising every year, getting the most of one?s time there is very important. The amount of time spent studying will depend on the student, major, and school. However setting academic goals will lead students to success. College is also a great chance to enjoy a social life while getting to know diverse people and learning about unique beliefs and backgrounds. Finally, being involved in one?s school allows students to take advantage of many activities, services, and unique opportunities.

My experience at the University of Delaware has enabled me to translate my interests and talents into a fulfilling career path. Entering UD, I chose to pursue a degree in Animal Science. However, the courses I took as part of the Animal Science curriculum did not completely engage my interest. During my sophomore year, I took an introductory course in nutrition. I absolutely loved it. I was fascinated by the universality of basic nutritional principles and their direct influence on the health and quality of life of all people. The material was challenging, but it captured my enthusiasm, and I easily understood it. The more I thought about it, the more nutrition seemed like the perfect profession for me – nutrition takes scientific research and principles and applies them to improve people’s health and quality of life. A job within the field of nutrition would utilize my strong background in science, captivate my interest, and allow me to have a positive influence on people’s lives. I decided to change majors and become a Registered Dietitian. If I had not attended UD, I may never have discovered this fascinating career path that perfectly combines both my talents and my interests.

Finding a college that "feels right" can sometimes be a tough decision and should be made wisely. You choose a university based on many things, namely its academics, but also the campus environment because, while the quality of education is paramount, so too is your student's happiness on campus. The University of Delaware has accomplished superiority in both: the academics are challenging, thought-provoking, and stimulating, and the environment is one of Academia where students are driven and intelligent, but equally open and friendly. I must have visited around fifteen to twenty colleges and universities throughout highschool, and when I first visited the University of Delaware, I had that feeling that I just "fit" somehow, like this was the right place for me. Many of the teachers are well-known scholars, experts in their fields. The social aspect of this university is very understanding and flexible: there are over 300 clubs and activities, and if you feel that one is missing, you can easily find the assistance to start one up yourself! When asked if, knowing what I know today after three years here, I could go back in time and change my decision, I always say, "Absolutely not."

My college experience at the University of Delaware has been nothing short of amazing. I went in as a psychology minor not sure what I wanted to do and now I'm a senior with a psychology minor, cognitive science major and concentration in speech-language pathology. Working in two labs at UD has given me great research experience and gave me opportunities to work with children with speech delays, learning disabilities and behavioral problems. Required observation hours of speech-language pathologists for courses also reinforced my desire to pursue a career in helping others with speech disorders. It is easy to get involved at this University. Joining a sorority and the National Student Speech-Language and Hearing Association has opened doors to a plethora of volunteer and leadership expereriences for me. It has also given me the opportunity to make a school filled with over 16,000 students feel like a school of 200 because you meet so many different people through getting involved in various activities held on campus. Finally, the University of Delaware has been valuble to attend because of the help of fellow students and professors who help you succeed academically.

As a high school student, I was constantly bombarded with mail from colleges all over the country. My advisors instructed me to attend college fairs. My parents insisted that I buy book after book filled with, supposedly, the best colleges. But when application deadlines arrived, not a single one of these factors influenced my decision. Sure, the books helped me when I was looking up information like tuition and available majors at certain colleges. But the most important factor in my search for the right college was the location of the school I would attend. Compared to choice of majors or housing availability or variety of meal plans, I feel that location is equally important. Consider that climate, availability of internships and job offers locally, transportation costs, and appearance are all dependent on location. For example, a college in rural upstate New York has a much colder climate and a limited availability of internships. However, if you enjoy the snow and already have an idea of where you would like to work after college, this may be the best place for you. Whatever the case, location must play an important role in your search for the right college.

Parents and students should take the time to carefully pick out schools based on size, weather, distance, and interests. It is very important to visit these schools and even have an interview or overnight stay if the school allows it. Getting a feel for how the school functions before you get there can be very helpful in picking the right school. Once there, many students tend to focus on a particular career path the whole time they are in university. They only take particular classes and learn very specific things. However, that does not mean that this is wrong. Choosing the right major is extremely important, but one must not forget that "general education" classes are essential for one's education and future. No matter how good your high school teachers were, they only had time to give you very superficial introductions. Being learned in the fields of science, history, literature, and even the arts are essential to becoming an educated member of our society. I would also advise students who has the opportunity, to study abroad. Through shared experiences, I have concluded that it is one of the most helpful and exciting things one can do while in university.