University of Delaware

« See more reviews of University of Delaware

It is very important to get a feel for the school in terms of how it functions, what the students, classes, and teachers are like. You should definitely visit the school while classes are in session. If possible sit in on a class or attend a special summer session for prospecting high school students. The school you pick should not make you bored, and if you like meeting people of different cultures look for that at the school. I would highly reccoment picking a major, and not starting undeclared because at my school, you will be living with and have several classes with other freshment in your same major and this is a great opportunity to get a good start in school. I also highly reccommend living in a dorm on campus (with someone you don't know) for at least the first year so you can really get connected with students and hear about all the great event and activities that are always going on. It is really important to get the full experience of college to participate in sports or clubs or join greek life.

When looking for the right college, make a list of pros and cons of the school you are visiting after your visit. That way the school is fresh in your mind and when you look at all of your lists when making your final decision you will have a better idea of how to compare the universitites. Also, if you are unsure about a school plan an overnight visit with a student, contact a professor, get to know the school as best as you can before you make your final decision to make sure this is the best fit for you. Once you are accepted to your school and have made your final decision, to make the most of your experience, pick a major that you are passionate about. Don't let others pressure you to do one major because they think it will be good for you. College is a time in your life where you're allowed to be selfish. Make the most of your time and get to know as many people as possibles. Make connections, and take your classes seriously while also having fun, and you will leave with four years of great memories!

Attending college was a sign of awaken to my life; an incredible experience where I came to a new country, I learned a new language, and I also learned from other people. When I came to study in America, I left my family at Colombia, yet I came with illusions and I thought everything would be so easy. However, things changed; I never had a job before or needed one, now I am fighting for getting a small one that helps me with the tuition. I didn't care much about people, but since I made a research paper about a foundation that works for elderly people, that touched me, now I try to help people with the more I can do. Moreover, I have learned to fight for what I want with responsibility and ethics, being strong, and never giving up. Besides, stories people tell me, like people who come back after many years to study again, have helped me understand and value the opportunities I have. I have learned to value and respect the people I love because I never know until when God permits me to have them at my side.

When it comes to finding the "right" college for students and parents, I would advise them to visit the campus and to have a general understanding of the programs that are offered at the college. Some colleges do not offer the program of interest of the student, which many parents and students do not realize. I would also tell them to consider the location of the college when it comes to deciding which college would be best for the student. Some questions to think about are "does the student prefer to live closer to home or across the country?" or "would the student prefer living in the city or the suburbs?" Making the most of your college experience is a common concern among students and parents. I would recommend that the student get involved in clubs and organizations in the school to meet new people and to explore areas of their interest. In addition, I think that it is important to attend sporting events and any other events held by the college to really feel like he or she is a part of that school.

I remember in high school a guest speaker coming in to talk about our future (AKA college). He kept saying how college was "an investment in your future". He explained how we get the promise of a better future if we invest our time and money now. This is true, however, I feel that the time I have invested in college will reap many more benefits than just an increased salary when I enter the work force. College gave me a "trial run" at life. I could be out on my own and be responsible for my own well-being, but I also had an entire community to lean on for support if I ever faltered. I still had a job, bills, and other expenses, but I could also afford to take risks and try new things. College helps you build networking skills and communication skills that will be helpful when you step out of the protective college bubble and into the harsh real world. College is that in-between world where you can still have the imagination and dreams of a child while taking on more responsibility and freedom of an adult.

In order to find the right college, it is important to do your research. Keep an open mind and make sure you go to visit the campuses. For me, I thought I knew what I wanted until I visited the University of Delaware. The second I stepped foot out of the car I knew this was the school for me. In order to make the most of your experience at you college, its important to get involved, particularly on a big campus. It is great to meet people in your dorms and classes, but the best way to really find a group of people that you will fit in well with is to join in an extracurricular activity. Whether it be a sport, sorority/fraternity, club, or artistic group getting involved in something like this will help to make the campus smaller. I loved my time at UD, but after I joined my sorority it truly made the experience complete. That is where I found the friends that I will keep for a lifetime and who truly understand me and love me. It is the best decision I have ever made, and I would recommend this to anyone.

Being now a proud University of Delaware student in the College of Engineering, I can say that out of my experiences associated with the University of Delaware, I have gotten an overwhelming sense of self confidence in which I use to the best of my ability to not only help me through my studies and meeting new friends, but also through the various student-run clubs I am associated with. The confidence that the college experience has given me allowed myself to set achievable goals, become a leader and confidant, and allow myself to give back to these groups in ways that help me in my own journey. All of these examples have become extremely valuable to me because of the reward they bring for all my hard work. From this self confidence a university experience has given me, I will be able to achieve my dreams of being a civil engineer and give back to my parents raising me, my family for guiding me, and the world as a whole to better the living accomindations and lifes in general of future generations .

Since I started college I have taken many science classes such as Anatomy and Physiology and Microbiology. These classes have opened my eyes to the very smallest of creatures and the most intricate of functions never known to me before. Everywhere I look, I am in constant awe as I stare at the invisible world around me. Never before had I realized how perfectly humans, animals, insects, air, water, and microbes all work in harmony. Is this just a coincidence that all of life magically works together as depicted in my textbooks? Or is this the work of God? My greatest college experience has to be my new found connection with the Earth. I no longer feel like a girl randomly born in the middle of Texas whose only goal is to live out life. Now I feel as if each second given to me was somehow perfectly mapped out by unseen forces and each happiness or sadness bestowed on me is part of something much greater than my little city. It has been valuable for me to attend college because now I also feel valuable.

Go with your gut instinct. If at first you think, "maybe this school just isn't for me," you're most likely right. Any uncertainty when trying to convince yourself that you found teh right school will just ultimately screw you over in the end. Don't feel like you HAVE to go somewhere, like it's the end of the world if you don't. Desires and needs are entirely different. While on campus, the most important thing you can do is get involved. Maybe you don't consider yourself a devout whatever, but the religious clubs will be your new best friend. Take up a new sport, maybe a fun art class or two. The school becomes a lot more warm once you leave your dorm and experiance a lot of what it has to offer you. In addition to that, professors want you to learn so go to their office hours even if you don't need anything at the moment. Maybe you'll learn something else, maybe you'll find something that you didn't realize you were weak in. To thine own self be true. Don't create yourself at collge; find it.

Students go to college with the main priority of getting a great education. Of course you need to get good grades and succeed in college to get the job you want but, there is more to college than education. The college experience and the years you spend there are suppossed to be the best of your life. You cannot just focus on school all of the time, although that is what is most important. The ideal college has a balance of both. It needs to have large libraries, plenty of study lounges, and intelligent professors but, it needs to have some life to it. It needs to be in an area where the student can get rid of the stresses of that day's tests and become a young fun loving adventurer. I have learned the hard way that if you focus only and solely on education and working you will fail no how smart or driven you are. You need a college that allows you to stop and smell the roses for a minute. College is a time for you to learn but it is also valuable time of your youth you will never get back.