University of Delaware

« See more reviews of University of Delaware

Be a sponge. The most important parts of education are not about the most stressful classes you can handle at once or the number/letter grades you accumulate. Education is more importantly about the wealth and extent of knowledge you soak up and retain. It does no good to cram facts just to forget them after a test. Instead, redirect your efforts to really understanding your instructors and peers. They can teach you lessons and provide advice without you realizing it. Focus on everything they may tell you, do not assume their information is irrelevant; it may come in handy later down the road. During your education, you are shaping who you will become, which will determine you career path and lifetime goals. Your instructors and advisors are trying to pull the "real you" out of you, the "you" you might not even know yet. Allowing yourself to be open to all kinds of experiences and advice will give you options to shape your own thoughts. It frees yourself to view life through multiple perspectives, giving you a more rounded overview of your experiences and lessons learned. Be a sponge, soak in everything; don't keep yourself sheltered.

In order to find the right college, I would tell students to go on as many college visits as possible, and when they go, they need to think about how they would fit in at that particular college and talk to students that already go there. They also need to think about their passions, and what opportunities that college can offer them during and after their undergraduate experience. Don't ever choose a college because everyone you know is going there. College leaves different impressions on different people and it is important to decide on the college that you feel fits you best. Making the most of your college experience can be described in two words: get involved. Whether it is undergraduate research, volunteering, clubs, sports, or Greek life, getting involved on campus can make or break your college experience. Student groups can introduce you to new experiences, people, opportunities, and outlooks on life. The people that you meet can potentially be life-long friends, or just leave a lasting impression on you. Find your passion and pursue it; once you are in the real world you can never get back those opportunities missed in college.

Students should choose a university where they feel socially comfortable and academically challenged within their abilities. At least, that's what worked for me. Each student is different and has different expectations of college. Choose the one that best fits your expectations and follow through in a timely manner with applications, visits, and interviews. Did I say visit? Next to your home, college is the largest investment you will make in your lifetime. You wouldn't buy a car without test driving it would you? Also, make sure that your finances are in order, or at least make sure college expenses won't break the bank. Parents, encourage your student to take a vested interest in his/her college experience. Sending a child off to college without any accountability is asking for trouble. Kids, keep in touch with parents, because carepackages are great during midterms, and remember, textbooks will always be more expensive than you expect, so plan accordingly and shop around. Have fun, but not at the expense of your studies. Use your time in college to make the choices that will put you on a successful path, one day at a time.

Finding the right college is important and it directly affects the students college experience. It can affect whether a student is successful as far being to accomplish their goals. Factors that should be taken in consideration are location, cost, opportunities, weather, and majors. Students should try to visit colleges that they are interested to in to see if the college environment is on that feels as good as it looks on the fan y brochures the colleges send to your homes. The location of the college you go to can greatly affect whether or not you come on the holidays and other family events. It's integral to check the cost of transportation. To / from your college choices. Also if you are city person it is not wise to choose a college in small towns vice versa. It may come as a culture shock to you and make you feel uncomfortable. Another example of this whether is if your use to living in sunny California it's probably not a good idea to attend a school that primarily has cold winters like those in Maine You can only be as successful if you feel that you are in comfortable environment.

EVERYTHING IS GOING TO BE OK. Going away to school implies a lot of things. It imples making new friends. It implies having to do large amounts of school work. It implies deciding for yourself when to turn in for the night. It implies choosing who to trust and who not to trust. There are going to be a ton of decisions and choices to make. Don't try to exert too much control. Don't be too regimental. Don't be too lax either. When faced with an important decision, remember to ask yourself a few simple questions. Which choice is conducive to my future plans? Am I doing this because I want to do this, or am I trying to fit into a "profile?" Does this choice reflect my values? Does this feel RIGHT? Most importantly: YOU ARE GOING TO MAKE WRONG DECISIONS. Recognize them. Reflect on them. Learn from them. Forgive yourself, move on, and handle it differently next time. Keep a journal. Start studying for exams one week in advance. Eat right. SLEEP RIGHT. Build relationships with your Professors. Argue your points. Participate often. Read the texts. Volunteer often. GO TO CLASS. Smile, it's contagious.

I think it's important, particularly as a college freshman, to get involved in the various activities that your college offers. There are many opportunities, ranging from sports to clubs, that are designed to help new students meet people. Taking advantage of these groups can not only help build your social network and support system, but can offer you more opportunities in the long run and open your eyes to new possibilities that you may not have thought of before. I think it is also very important to get to know your professors. While you may feel a little silly introducing yourself in a 300 person lecture, these teachers can help you greatly throughout the rest of your college years. Professors can not only help you in their class, but they may also offer research opportunities, general academic guidance, and can help with recommendation letters and post-college careers. I guess, in all, I would advise myself to explore all the possibilities that college offers. I am currently a junior and still discovering new things and meeting new people. The earlier you start looking, the more opportunities you can have!

I would advise parents and students to start thinking early. It is imperative that they go visit these schools and spend time there and get maybe a student persepctive on what is available. Really no one else will be able to give you better information and honest answers to your questions. I would also tell students to be open. College is such a different type of environment in comparison to high school, it is important to branch out and try new things. College organizations often do not have the funds to greatly advertise events so be active in trying to find out what is available. Also do not be afraid to join an organization, it will only lead to more opportunities and familarity with what is available on campus. It also is the best way to find that niche you are looking for when it comes to developing a sense of home. I would also say keep the grades up from the beginning! Practice different study habits and find what works for you. Having a good gpa from the beginning will open door opportunities for you in the near in far future! Especially for scholarships, work , graduate school and internships.

The transition from high school to college is a crucial step in every teenager's life. I can still remember worrying myself sick over this magical place called college. "Where will I go? What will I study? Who will I meet?" All of these questions raced through my mind as a senior. I had a vague picture of what to expect, but no one is ever really prepared for it until they are thrust into it's grip. Numerous seniors enter applications involving religion, school size, major, location, and various other feel good checkmarks that are supposed to ensure a comfortable college experience. The truth is, however, college is an experience above and beyond that of sizes and shapes. If I had to go back and give advice, I would say that college is an experience of friendships, knowledge, and self discovery, but most importantly, a time where reality and education intersect. I'd say, "Don't worry. College is everything that you make of it. You can learn, have fun, and meet amazing people. Be bold, even step outside of your comfort level. No matter what it boils down to, college is an experience, and the future is yours."

Travel the world and experience new cultures because you will not regret it. Go out the night before an exam because the best way to learn is from personal experience. Spend a full twenty-four hours with your roommate because she will probably be one of your bridesmaids. Don't skip class and stay in on a Friday night to study more because you will be satisfied with your grades. Kiss the cute fraternity boy because he might be your first love. Be super involved throughout college and try different clubs because you might find a new hobby or calling. Stay busy all the time because you have plenty of time after college to lounge around. Get on a personal level with your professors because they are extremely wise and are there to help you. Part if college is preparing yourself to be constantly stressed, emotional, and broke. An education is an extraordinary opportunity, but it is certainly not cheap. Do everything and anything. Use your time at college to find out who you are and what you want from life. Make the absolute, one hundred percent most of your college years because they won't last forever.

I believe i was not prepared for college and all that it required from an eighteen year old. Educational advice would be expect at least three full days before a difficult test to start studying. Highschool tests are a joke compared to college exams. Also, inevitably, a week will occur where there will be three or more exams , projects or papers due. In this case, you must know what class is the most important to succeed in and put the most effort into, even if that means putting less time in another class. You must always put the classes for you major first, since they count for the most credit and are weighted more than electives and other classes. Definitely join a sorority, it is very important to have time for social activities in order to keep mental stability and it will add to your happiness. Decide on your future career as early as possible. This will give you time to plan and get the experience you need to be considered competive for the graduate school or job of your choice. The proper experience includes; join the right clubs , take the proper additional classes , and acquire an internship.