University of Delaware Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Delaware

Autumne

When I first arrived here, I'll admit it was very difficult. There is a lot of culture shock associated with moving 600 miles away from home. But this campus is great for making you feel like you have a community. As soon as you join one club, or interact with your freshman floor, or take a class that you love you're able to see a friendly face every 10 minutes. It's a big school with a small school feel.

Azeem

The University of Delaware journey has been one of the most enlightened and fun times I've had in my life. Each year it seems like something new is always going on and the campus is packed with activities. Throughout my years, I felt I've grown quite a bit

Kim

I can’t wait to go there!

Alice

The University of Delaware has been a wonderful school to attend so far. I was interested in studying Hospitality Management while in High School, and after applying for 13 schools and visiting 9 of them, I knew that UD would be the best fit for me. The Hospitality program is internationally recognized, and the professors are industry professionals. The program is very hands-on learning--there is a five-star restaurant on campus and a Marriott Hotel where the Hospitality students gain experience. The food, facilities, and on-campus housing are excellent. There is a myriad of students clubs and organizations to join and be involved in outside of class.

Jose

I have been a student at the University of Delaware for almost three semesters now. My college life has been quite the experience. There are many interesting clubs and sports teams here. Main Street is a great place to hang out. There are many services that can help you out.

University of Delaware is an excellent school where I can learn and do amazing activities with my friends. It's not always safe to walk alone at night, but I feel completely safe during the day. The professors care about students' learning and are always available for office hours. I wouldn't have picked a better school than this one.

The campus is beautiful and small enough where it takes 15 minutes or so to go from class to class. There is always something to do, if you're looking for it. Also you'll get emails with events to go to.

Brooke

The University of Delaware is an excellent institution that provides an abundance of opportunities to its students to prepare them for their future careers. The professors truly care about the students and generally are always willing to lend a hand and do anything they can to help. Great learning community

I truly love this institution. I am an out of state student and the University of Delaware has become my second home. I have made great friends, the classes are interesting and engaging and there are plenty of great food options on campus and very close to campus! The housing is great there is space for everyone just apply early!

Jordan

I love the University of Delaware and always speak highly of it to my friends and family. I even convinced one of my closest friends to attend next year by taking him to football games and showing him around campus. It is truly a great school and I have a lot of pride in being a Blue Hen.

I love the University of Delaware, the campus is beautiful and everything is fairly close. The college town really makes a difference. The only thing that the school lacks is diversity. A more strict path for majors or how to register for classes would be helpful.

Shannon

Considering that University of Delaware was the cheapest and most prestigious option for a Delaware resident like me, the University of Delaware is exactly what I expected. It is like any other school in that it has many great qualities and others to be improved like on-campus housing and food.

Arif

The university is very lively and very friendly. I've had tons of conversations with people I've never met before and I can't ever get from one end of campus to another and not see something new going on. There are plenty of clubs that are really great to get involved in. Most of the classes I've had so far the teacher's don't really teach, though. Learning the information before class and treating the class as a review/Q&A session is an effective strategy, but I'm sure plenty of professors have the ideology everywhere.

Emma

The University of Delaware is a beautiful campus but it is so much more than that. It is an inclusive community that I look forward to joining. I have visited many times, some during concert band festivals, and I have felt welcomed and encouraged each and every time.

Kristen

It looks really cool, and I'm excited to move in on August 26th!! Many people, like some close friends of my older sister have told me great things about this school and campus life. Also, I attended "music major weekend" in the spring of this year. I was able to sleep in the dorm and shadow an upperclassman! I have never before been around so many people who shared my same passion.

Ella

I love the University of Delaware and I am so glad I choose to attend! Some of my professors are so engaging and truly love what they are doing. They have had a tremendous impact on my career focus and concentration. My communication classes are very interesting and I was able to combined a degree in Communication with a new minor in Sustainable Fashion Merchandising. I never thought some of my favorite classes would be in women's studies but each semester I try to take one class. University of Delaware has a big social scene - there is not lack of fun. I guess you can say Blue Hens work hard and play hard.

Anna Marie

I think it's a great school. Despite being as large as it is, students create small, close-knit communities. There are also a variety of academics as well as extracurricular activities that students can get involved in. While some general classes are rather large, some having more than 150 students, the further you progress with classes within your major, the smaller and more personal your classes become.

There is truly no other place I would want to experience college and gain knowledge, new friends, and opportunities at other than University of Delaware. When I first stepped on campus I felt at home, something just clicked. It's a medium sized school that feels small because everyone is friendly and you can easily find your place and where you belong. The location is perfect, Newark has everything going on, shops, restaurants, it's not too far from any desired location such as Philadelphia or Dover beaches. The town makes you not miss home so much due to the warm atmosphere that surrounds the campus. The name of course in itself is highly recognized for its renowned academics, one of the top public universities in the country. Here at UD you build a relationship with your professors that aid in your success. The social scene is very lively. There is always something to do such as sporting events, sponsored concerts, community activities, parties, you name it, it's at UD. This school is special and it is like no other and I'm very proud to call myself a Blue Hen.

Jared

I love the University of Delaware. I have been provided with so many opportunities to excel and become involved on campus.

Tara

I honestly love the University of Delaware. It was my top choice school and I was so grateful to be able to join the blue hens. Academics are extremely important to students and faculty and you do have to put a lot into your studies in order to achieve. I have made my best friends here and it is a beautiful and exciting place to be.

Sarah Elizabeth

I love the University. As an engineer I am in an amazing program and it challenges me. I know I'm getting a great education.

Nathan

University of Delaware is a great place to learn and grow. Everyone I have met is very kind and friendly, so making friends is easy. I live in Louis Redding Hall which is fantastic. It is a new dorm, very clean, and has air conditioning. Academics are decent and at times can be challenging.

Casey

it takes some time to get adjusted but you'll make friends and learn to absolutely love it. lots of people keep their freshman year friends for all four years. find a major you like and you'll enjoy school. make friends with your advisor. UD is awesome, the campus is pretty and the buildings are 95% really nice.

Heidi

I feel as though, now being mid-way through my sophomore year, UD has become somewhere that I think of as home, but I believe it has only come to that point because I put in a lot of work on my end. A lot of my comfort has been influenced by my English Education major, which is a bit smaller of a group than my initial Communications Interest class. However, the majority of my adoration for my school has come from my own work in getting involved in extracurriculars, and finding part-time jobs. I believe that this school has TONS of great opportunities, and I am so thankful to have all that I do, but I feel that if you don't put in the effort, you won't necessarily love it. It is very easy to be washed away, and I don't think I realized how large of a school I was really going to, in terms of its people. Additionally, it is rated the number one party school for a reason. As someone who has chosen a mostly sober route, I had an incredibly difficult time finding ways to get friends to be social that didn't involve drinking, as partying is always the default hang out. Overall, I love the education, connections, opportunities, and friends that UD had brought me, and I am satisfied in my choice of schools for that fact, but I still dislike its over-arching party culture, as well as the impersonal, detached vibes given off from some of the higher-ups.

Caitlin

Erik

I love it! Between the academics, social environments and club activities I love to call UD home. There are a wide variety of classes I can take each semester. My professors are always able to meet with me if I have questions or concerns. My friends and I can be found hanging out in one of the quads or playing a pick up game of basketball. If we want to catch a movie it is only a short walk away. There are numerous restaurants we love to get take out. And we take out a lot since the meals at the dining halls can be less than desirable. Overall, UD is in my opinion the best college in the area. I cannot wait to start my sophomore year there in the Fall.

Jazmine

The social life was fantastic, particularly if you live on campus and enjoy Greek life. While some professors were less engaged with teaching than others, that can be said at any college and UD makes up for it with the ones that actually want to produce successful graduates. Overall, I'm happy I went and miss it terribly.

Aimee

Overall, my experience at University of Delaware has been pretty good. The only issue is that there is a separation of commuters and those who live on campus. As someone who commutes, I feel as though it is harder to make friends because most people get friends in their dorms from day one, and I wish there was a way to connect students more.

William

University of Delaware is a great school over all. It has a nice balance of work and play, the classes educational and I really feel as though I am learning, however it doesn't feel too much so. There is not a constant pressure to work, and there is plenty to do for leisure time.

I loved visiting the University of Delaware. I had an amazing time meeting with my academic advisor. All the staff in the nursing college were extremely nice and they genuinely cared about my needs. Trabant Student Center had amazing food. I was also encouraged to go on Main Street by some students that attend the school and the food on the strip was very good.

Samuel

I believe that the University of Delaware is a great place where students can grow and explore with their intended major, as the University provides a variety of resources that enables the students to make the most out of their passion. The University of Delaware is full of fun-loving people who know how to have a good time while focusing on their academics at the same time.

Caitlyn

UD is an amazing school with caring teachers. The campus is beautiful, and classes are fun. I've met some amazing people in this school. Dr. Renzeti, and Dr. Benson are some of my favorite professors in this class. Dr. Renzeti has fostered my love of learning and helped guide me towards what I want to do in life. Her Animal behavior class is a must for anyone who needs a science elective.

Margeaux

I love the University of Delaware and am so grateful to have the opportunity to go to school there. From the classroom to the restaurants on campus, there isn't anything about the school that I dislike. I am apart of greek life and love it, but greek life is not a necessity at my school and I have many friends that are not involved in it. There are so many opportunities at this school that I take advantage of every single day!

Meghan

While I love my academic program at the University of Delaware, I have been less than impressed with the services available. The Counseling Center has little availability and is often not willing to see students, and the food options are less than ideal.

John

I feel that Delaware's environment can be summed up in one phrase, "For boys, if you're not in a frat or on a sports team, good luck finding fun." The school is well set on the fraternity life and when I first visited, I thought clubs and activities were a place to meet new people, but I felt that was not true. Many of the girls go out almost every night and with limited availability for men to go out and have fun, I don't suggest boys to go to this school if they aren't prepared to drink themselves to unconsciousness or on a sports team. While the facilities and dining halls are very good and new, there is the environment where if you are not in a group with friends, you look like an outcast with sororities and entire floors having meals and study groups. With thousands of kids in the business school, it was hard to connect closely with classmates. Taking breadth courses take a while, but the professors are always available, however it is frustrating how hard many students work to succeed, with other students barely finishing assignments, strictly focused on partying every night. So before you choose UD based on the pretty campus and cool buildings, be prepared for the social limitations and requirements to have their college experience.

Olivia

The following passage is an honest review of the University of Delaware, one that I wish I was given before signing four years of my life away to the institution. While my overall experience at Delaware has been positive, there are defining traits of campus life that are cause for consideration. The most obvious topic is UD's rank as the "Number One Party School in America!!" I am not sure how this title was granted, but it is misguided and untrue. Most partying is relegated to private residences and fraternal organizations, not even bars (which there are very few of) or clubs (which there are none of). Newark, Delaware is a relatively small town with just enough recreation to keep college kids from tipping cows in nearby Maryland. When they are not studying or partying, students go to the nearby Christiana Mall or grab food at the handful of college student-friendly eateries on Main Street. Forget about college sports: none of popular team sports are worth watching. It is a terribly suburban and generally mundane existence. I personally wish that there was more culture, like museums and art galleries. On the other hand, Philadelphia is less than an hour away and Wilmington is even closer. Newark may not be the most worldly or varied experience, but there is plenty to do if you search for it. In terms of academics and campus amenities, UD has proved reliable. The library, albeit a concrete monstrosity, is stocked with seating and equipment. There are student centers with food kiosks and places to study. In the classroom itself, professors can be a bit too preoccupied with their research or many other students to give individual attention. As a large university, though, Delaware's staff is consistent with providing office hours and resources. Granted, one must actually utilize them in order to benefit from them. Housing is pretty atrocious. There is no sweetening the roaches and lack of air-conditioning many freshmen endure. While I stomped out vermin with my (roommate's) shoe, I looked onto a freshly built dorm next door. I could not even use the habitable study spaces in the glorious South Academy Dorm unless a resident of the building let me in. Upperclassmen housing is barely an improvement, as the only buildings without health hazards are a twenty minute trek from main campus. Moving off campus requires cunning and punctuality; leases are normally signed by the end of October for the following year's rent. If one manages to snag an apartment that is within a reasonable walking distance to classes, they better be prepared to cough up between $500 and $900 a month (utilities not included, of course). A lease for the most sought-after apartments on campus require an overnight stay outside of the housing group's office. My final gripe with the university is its lack of diversity. Most of the general population comes from white, middle-class families. There is little integration between the students of color, international students, and white students at Delaware. In my entire sorority of over two hundred women, there is not a single black woman. I am one of the few girls of Asian descent. I was assigned a Korean English Language Institute student as a part of a global outreach program I am in. I was the only native speaker she interacted with on campus. Besides her ELI classmates, I was the only non-Korean speaking person she knew. While I do not expect UD to be a Mecca of interracial unity, it is disheartening to see the degree of separation that exists among such a young population. I could complain about the University of Delaware's drawbacks for days. I could also rave about its merits endlessly. While Delaware felt limiting and mediocre to me initially, I have discovered it is a place where one must work to find your place. There is endless opportunity if one seeks it out. There's a student organization for practically every interest (even peanut butter). People are sociable, and there is so many of them that it is not difficult to find someone with similar interests. I came into UD knowing no one and having no idea what my career would be. I am now president of my major's club, a member of a sorority, and countless other organizations. I have found my people and my path at the University of Delaware, and not ashamed to say that I will always be a Blue Hen.

Hunter

it's good it's good it's good it's good it's good it's good it's good it's good it's good it's good it's good it's good it's good it's good it's good it's good it's good it's good it's good it's good it's good it's good it's good it's good it's good it's good it's good it's good it's good it's good it's good it's good

Colleen

The University of Delaware has both negative and positive aspects to it that sum it up to be an overall average school experience. The class sizes are decent. As a student I was able to find both large and small class sizes for any subject, so I was able to pick my preference on the type of class I was sitting in. There was also a wide variety of majors and types of classes offered, that I was never bored in my studies and I was always able to find classes I was excited about. Another positive aspect was that the facilities were very clean, and they provided the proper tools needed within those facilities for the classes they held. An example of this being that since I was an art student, the art buildings had easels, a sculpture materials that were needed depending on the classes I was taking. I also think that the overall size of the campus was a really positive aspect. You could walk to all of your classes, but you still felt like you were on a college campus. Some of the negative aspects were the social environment, the dining halls, and the lack of guidance. The social environment is very much driven by the night life of the school, and if you are a student who does not like going to parties you may struggle to find the crowd that you fall into. I was more focused on academics than most of my classroom peers, and my roommates, so I struggled the first couple years to find the group that I fell into. Another negative aspect I mentioned was the dining halls. There are three dining halls, and only one of them is worth going to. The newest dining hall is where most of the students attend, so it is very crowded. It has better food than the other two dining halls, but it still needs some improvement. The dining hall has basic food options, but they always add a spin to them, which many of the students do to appreciate. They will make cheeseburgers, but then add an apple into it, and they do not offer the option to get your burger without the apple because all the food is premade. Also if you have a food allergy, there are very limited options, and on weekends I usually found nothing that I could eat. Lastly, the lack of guidance I found was very discouraging at times. We were given the graduation requirements freshman year, and from there I felt I was on my own to make sure I fulfilled all my requirements. One of the requirements was an internship, which I found on my own after having gone to the career center and receiving no help in finding where to start my search. Another issue I had was that I was never assigned a guidance counselor to talk to each semester when registering for classes, or in between semesters when I had questions. I found my own counseling by going to professors that I trusted, however at times those professors were even hard to get in contact with. Prior to graduating the school offered no help, and showed no interest in any of the student's job searches. I was lucky enough to get a job right out of school, however I know some alumni from the University of Delaware who are still looking and not sure where to start.

Jenna

I love UD. You can never be bored on this campus. There are so many different organizations and clubs to join that you will find your group of people fairly quick. UD has given me so many opportunities, and I feel confident entering the real world after graduation. The campus is also beautiful and walking everywhere is the best option because all buildings are within walking distance.

Alexandra

If you are willing to pay a pretty penny, the University of Delaware is well worth it. This is especially true if you are looking to pursue business, engineering, or nursing. The campus is large but homey, the food is great, and it has a huge party scene. Academically, it is very challenging but rewarding. Class sizes can get up to 300 for gen-eds.

Haley

My overall opinion of the University of Delaware and college in general is that it is everything that you make it. I went into the experience extremely open to meeting new people and leaning about the variety of different cultures and ideas that represent the students at the University of Delaware. I became a part of a family in my freshman year residence hall, I became a voice for the community by joining the community council. There are so many ways to become involved in recreational activities and I strongly recommend that you do. Trying new things in a place where EVERYONE is trying new things can be liberating. It opened my eyes to a world of possibilities. For someone who's never swam competitively I think it's pretty cool to be able to say I play water polo in college at the University of Delaware. I am a Blue Hen, and proud.

Evelyn

I love it here so much. Everyone is so nice and I feel I am getting a great education. I just transferred here and I am so happy I did. The extra curricular activities are tremendous and everyone on campus is willing to help you succeed. There is a great balance between social life and academic life.

The University of Delaware is an academically rigorous school that provides many opportunities in and out of the classroom for growth and education. No matter who you are, you can find your niche and a group you can call family. However, as an LGBT student, the sense of community I feel at UD, was created not by the University, but by myself. The needs of marginalized students at this institution are consistently ignored and the general student body is blinded by their own privilege. With improvements to diversity, UD could become the ideal university.

Sean

It seems like an amazing school! I have only been to the school once, but from what I and have seen I have not seen anything to be scared of. I enjoy walking along Main Street and seeing the college kids fresh out of class. The students all seem to be happy with the workload and a little stressed out but it doesn't seem like anything serious.

Sydney

I love being a student at the University of Delaware. It has molded me into the strong and independent woman I am today. I have created life-long relationships with classmates and friends. The school has gotten me involved in so many programs such as a greek organization, and community service clubs like Project Sunshine.

Caleb

Moving to the University of Delaware was a big step for me academically and really challenged me. They pride themselves in providing a high quality education experience. The facilities and equipment are state of the art and are always upheld and maintained. The education they provide is extremely high quality and portrayed exceptionally through well educated professors who are always willing to help. Overall the experience I have had so far has been very pleasant and enjoyable.

Hayley

I have only been attending the University for Delaware for about two months now. Throughout my time here I have made a decent number of friends and found that getting involved in clubs and sports through the university is very easy. The University of Delaware offers a number of extracurricular activities from clubs that involve traveling the country with your peers to interest study groups outside of class. I have found that there are helpful resources all around campus and everyone is very welcoming. If I ever feel lost or that I need a bit of motivation for the week I can talk to my advisor or RA because everyone is so friendly. Most everyone here is willing to help and it is very easy to feel comfortable on and around campus. The parties on the weekends are also very fun but there are also other activities to engage in if you're not interested in going to the parties, such as Perkins live or trabant now! Overall the University of Delaware is a great college that offers a lot to its students. You'll most likely never find yourself bored and will always have a friend to talk to!

Grace

The University of Delaware is a wonderful school. The campus is beautiful and extremely well kept. There are two great student centers with many other places for students to study or hangout with friends. The people are very nice and welcoming. The professors have office hours and also schedule appointments to fit students schedules. There are a multitude of extracurriculars and two activities fairs with over 100 clubs to get involved in. There is always something happening on campus. It is a great environment and makes being away from home okay.