University of Denver Top Questions

What are your classes like?

Mackenzie

I have found that even as a freshman, my classes at DU are very interesting and intellectually stimulating. Sure, there are few required classes that are humdrum and some that are even somnambulatory, but most of the classes within your major will be very interesting and relevant to you. I love that my professors really do care about actually teaching. Very few classes if any are taught by TAs, and the professors are more than willing to just meet to get to know their students. I even have seen professors invite students to their homes for dinner and such. Some classes are difficult, but as with any school, you can make your course of study as easy or as challenging as you want it to be. I personally like a lot of exciting classes with in-depth learning, which means I will have classes with a little more writing and projects. If that isn't your style, you can easily choose different classes that will have different kinds of work. It all depends on what you prefer.

Annalee

I always spend my class time feeling curious. The professors I've had at DU inspire students to be interested in the topic as well. Classes are challenging, but rewarding. DU has a small class size, which make classes interactive, participatory, and conversational.

My classes have varied. The good aspects of classes: - Quarter system (ten weeks as opposed to fourteen) allows for a wider range of subjects, perfect for students interested in a lot of different things - Very small class sizes (my smallest class had 7 people in it, my largest class had 60, which is really quite small for a freshman pre-requisite class) - No class is ever so big that you can't ask a question of your professor directly - Professors are extremely accessible and welcoming. The bad: - Often times there aren't enough opportunities for discussion as there should be - The quarter system is a double-edged sword. Forclasses with more general subject material (the classes freshmen or sophomores will take), there's only so much you can cover in just ten weeks; at times you feel like you're only scratching the surface of something.

Crista

Classes at DU are generally pretty small (around 30-40 people as a freshman and sophomore, 15-30 in your last two years). With small classes comes a lot of interaction, discussion and face time with the professors. In classes, professors expect you to participate and provide opinions. It's a very comfortable atmosphere where participating is something students want to do rather than are forced to do.

Marisa

I am finally getting to take classes that are part of my major (strategic communications), which is super exciting! I also am taking computer science (which I am not good at, but it is interesting), Leadership Studies (my minor), and Geography of Natural Hazards.

Emilee

Small and close knit. You really get to know the other students and professors. In my opinion, there isn't as much as work as it seems, especially with good time management skills.