University of Denver Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Denver

Eva

Culture is kind of toxic, administration needs to get their shit together. The professors are the best part of the school, they're all engaging and passionate. Classes are unique, small, and really just phenomenal. The food and dorms leave something to be desired for sure.

Amy

I feel that the school could do better by consolidating courses as many courses teach the exact same content under the guise of a different title. Tuition is outrageous. Internships are crap as we truly do not have a say in where we want to intern, the process in which to secure a internship is arduous. I completed all of my coursework but they could not place me in a internship that was geared towards what I wanted to do with my degree.

Madison

Aside from the fact that the school is crippling me financially, I would say that my experience at the University of Denver has been pretty positive overall. While I do not necessarily believe that the return on investment is great at all, I am content with the education I have received as well as with the plethora of resources I have access to.

Andrew

University of Denver is a great school for information technology and computer science. I graduated here with my masters and currently in my doctoral program at another university and I say DU is top tier school and great place to go. My programming courses here helped me receive a promotion at the worlds top software company and have made me an expert in OOP concepts that I now help other engineers I work with on.

Calayne

I really enjoy the school. It is a beautiful campus, and I believe I could do well and get a great education at this facility. Right now, I am going to go to a community college to get my RN degree in nursing, however, for my 4 year degree I feel the University of Denver would be a pretty enjoyable school.

Alexandra

I think the University of Denver charges too much tuition for how little they give back to the students regarding resources and activities to engage students and help them most. The things the school does invest in is assets that can give them more money overall like new Freshman dorms for example. I just don't really feel that at home at DU and I do at other schools in Denver where my friends attend.

Brigid

I think that it is a great school. It is very expensive, but you can get out what you put in. There are so many resources, clubs, and events that make it all worth it. Coming here, networking is one of the best things you can do for yourself, I highly recommend getting involved with something. We have everything outdoors with the Alpine Club, but we also have a Dungeons and Dragons Club and Pioneers for Pollinators Club, just to name a few to exemplify the diversity of clubs. Greek life is also big if you are interested in that but there are also plenty of people not involved with Greek life, so you won't feel any pressure to join. We don't have football, our big sport is hockey, but we also have many other D1 sports, club sports, and intramurals (I recommend broomball). There are also a lot of jobs on or near campus if you want/ need to work through school. Personally, I work at the student call center and love it and I have a friend who works in the Chemistry Office and she also loves that. I also know people who work with professors on their research in the science and psychology labs if you want to get involved with that kind of work and experience. All in all, you get out what you put in, so I wouldn't recommend DU if you don't think you want to work, get an internship, go to events, join a club, or anything like that. It is a great school for academics, don't get me wrong, but if that is all you want you can go somewhere less expensive for an education that is just as good. The price of DU really comes down to everything else that you can get out of this experience. Personally I am double majoring in History and Environmental Studies with minors in Spanish and Urban Studies, work at the call center, play intramural broomball (and have done volleyball and indoor soccer as well), go to a lot of the free on-campus events (different lectures of interest, but also fun sustainability crafts, and food truck events), and am planning of doing a geology field quarter and study abroad semester. Getting involved makes a big difference!

This is a great place to learn and grow all while making friends that last a life time. The class size is small and classes are challenging but encourage you to push yourself

Anika

It is a good school. Professors are supportive of their students. The facilities are nice.

Michaela

Amazing academics - I love my professors and all of my classes, and I feel reasonably challenged at this institution. This school is majority white, and there's a lot of snob and privilege here if I'm being honest. I personally don't vibe with most of the people on this campus, but there are good pockets and communities to be found. In a few short words, I would describe DU as academically excellent, beautiful campus, privileged, racist, and not inclusive of most minority populations (despite their "efforts").

Haley

The University of Denver has ripped me off. Administration is horrible. If you are looking for a liberal arts school that will provide you with plenty of options for classes- DU is not for you.. If you are looking for a school to spend 60k+ just to party and get a business degree- DU is for you. Predominately white, entitled students attend DU, although administration will claim there is diversity. Please do not go here unless you are not paying anything. They will take all of your money and you will hate college.

Jacquelyn

I think it's good school academically. There are aspects I don't care for, especially the "inclusive excellence" program. It's great to try to be inclusively excellent, but the liberal agenda is overwhelmingly shoved down everyone's throats. All over campus there were crude and evil things that were written about our current president that I strongly disagreed with.

Heidi

I transferred to DU as a sophomore, and it was the best choice I made. The professors are amazing, the campus is beautiful and the area is wonderful. The only thing that can be a struggle is that DU is a little bit cliquey, especially with the Greek Life kids. But it's easy enough to make friends outside of that!

Arianna

The curriculum is really tedious with hard courses however the teachers and advisors are always there to support you and answer any questions you have to help you succeed in class and in job/internship placements.

Caroline

While the campus is pretty and facilities are nice, the University of overpriced. The population is very white and privileged, which created a somewhat conservative environment. If you are looking for diversity and activism, this is probably not the best school for you.

Kassandra

The University of Denver is on the incline for becoming a truly extraordinary university. The facilities themselves are gorgeous and up to date with the latest technology and booked with professors that truly care about their fields of study and about the students that are interested in them. The university really tries to promote inclusive excellence with the chancellor always being willing to hold open office hours. The school strives to bring more diversity on the campus to quell the stigma of the university only being for certain types of students. The location is ideal as it is a short ride from downtown Denver, and free with provided RTD passes from the university. Not only is the location great, but there are varied amounts of activities for students to take part of stemming from grilling to society to ultimate Frisbee. My only complaint about the university is that their prices to accommodate all of its changes on campus keeps on increasing while financial aid makes no change. A great university if you can afford it.

Luci

I hate it here, I hate it with a fiery passion. Unless you're a white business major with a hot body and a love to party, this place sucks. All there every is to do is party, party party, not much else. If you're coming in with a more liberal arts interest, prepare to be screwed. All the departments are miraculously squished together in one building and there isnt a lot of thought given to it. DU is for a very specific kind of person- white people in business. Anything else, STEER CLEAR. It's a total waste of 60k.

Lynn

DU is very big and that can sometimes make getting to one class to another difficult, but at least the scenery on the way to class makes up for it in a way. Like any university, there are professors that aren't the best but there are amazing professors who really care about what they teach and put a lot of effort into teaching in a way that everyone will learn.

Mahaila

The University of Denver is an exceptional institution. The faculty and staff are incredibly helpful and make academics a priority, while still trying to build relationships with their students. DU has a fantastic atmosphere of a college campus feel while still be extremely close to the city, giving opportunities that can't be matched.

Adara

I think it's a great school but it is way overpriced and keeps getting more expensive. They don't raise scholarship awards when they raise tuition, so even if you can afford it the first year, you might not be able to after that. Luckily financial aid is very responsive so it balances out. For the most part, it's a good school. It's challenging and there are so many opportunities all over campus no matter what you're interested in.

Natalie

The University of Denver is a great place. I was a transfer student and they put me up in the Transfer Living Community which used to be a fraternity house. It housed about 30 other transfer students. The location is prime. There's so many little, delicious restaurants and drugstores and markets right on the streets intersecting the outskirts of campus and they are not a far walk at all. The campus itself is small so it takes about 10 minutes to get from one side to the other. All students get an RTD card that allows you to take the light rail into anywhere which is really convenient if you want to go in to downtown Denver to watch a Nuggets or an Avalanche game. The teachers I have had have all been really helpful and really want me to succeed. The class sizes are much bigger than what I'm used to. In high school, my average class was about 11 and here my average class size is about 60 students.

Alana

It's a nice, small school with good class size. People could get more involved and there could be more information about how to join extracurriculars. Nice to be close to the mountains!

Estrella

I love the University of Denver and I do not regret attending this school. I'm really looking forward to becoming a DU graduate in a few years. Although DU is a private school, they really help the students with financial aid to continue studying there. Also their quarter system is the best!

Shakalia

This school is awesome. We have outstanding lecturers. The general staff is very helpful to the students who need help. There are great scholarships opportunities as well as work study program. I would definitely recommend this school to anyone who needs to study higher level education.

Emmett

Overall, Denver is a great school, but definitely best suited for someone that wants a smaller college environment. The students are great and there is a lot to do around the Denver area, as well as opportunities to get involved around campus. The student body is diverse, so you meet people from all across the US, and there are also quite a few foreign students. Good study abroad opportunities if you are able to take advantage of that.

Attending The University of Denver was the best choice I have ever made toward my graduate career. Yes, the cost of school and living may be a bit daunting, but I have confidence in knowing that DU gives you the right tools you need in order to become successful. The campus is beautiful and I get excited to go to class. In addition, my professors make learning truly enjoyable.

Nadeen

University of Denver can be a good school if you take advantage of the resources and tools, and if you take initiative on your own education. The library is an example of a resource that students should take advantage of because it's a great place to study, has food, has movies and books you can check out, and it even has computer equipment you can rent such as a computer adapter.

Wiktoria

I love the school! I bleed Crimson and Gold! At first, I did not know if I wanted to go here. My heart was always set for a bigger school, but now I am so happy I choose a smaller school. The staff here really cares about their students, and they only want what is best for their students. University of Denver offers so many outside of the classroom activities that I am grateful to have the opportunity to participate in. The campus is beautiful and so is the weather, I get to wake up to a view of the beautiful mountains that brightens my day.

Rose

I am in love with this place. Everyone I have met, students and faculty, has been incredibly kind and accepting. There is a wide variety of activities on campus, but no feeling of exclusion. It is easy to get involved with nearly anything on campus. The school is always in touch sending relevant emails. As a native Californian, I received emails offering me grief counseling for this year's wild fires, which I thought was amazing on the school's part.

Celina

I love it. The campus is beautiful with a lot to do. The resources available (buses, RTD light rail, security) are very accessible. They give a lot of financial aid and was an affordable option. The fact that Downtown Denver is nearby also a plus. It is a welcoming place to be, and I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

William

The University of Denver (DU) is a very clean, and rather preppy school. If you don't come from money, expect to feel out of place at this university for a while, at least until you find other like-minded folks. The teachers are phenomenal save for a few minor exceptions. Look forward to very extensive courseloads, and to work rather hard especially if you're looking into a STEM major. The DU community is flooded with plenty of extra-curricular activities and groups to participate as well, so finding similar people won't be an issue. The campus itself is absolutely beautiful, with tons of greenery and wide-open spaces. If you just want to spend some time in the outdoors in your free time, you won't even need to leave the campus. Overall, DU is a fantastic school, just be ready for some fights with Financial Aid if you can't afford the price tag.

Josiah

The University of Denver's small faculty to student ratio and myriad of academic opportunities, combined with a beautiful campus and proximity to a burgeoning city, fosters an amazing educational experience for students looking to get a good start in their professional lives.

Ave Maria

The University of Denver is a great school, it is academically rigorous, students are involved, and the campus is beautiful and a typically safe place to be. DU is known for its emphasis on the importance of academics, and I feel the faculty and staff do well upholding the value of education. I have not had a class that I have disliked, and I can confidently say that I am growing intellectually everyday. I am also growing outside of the classroom too, there is always something to do on campus. Open-Mic nights, club meetings, Greek life events are just a few of the opportunities to participate socially. However, if there is one downside to attending DU, its that there is a certain lack of morale among students. Aside from hockey, there are few things that make me feel proud to be a Pioneer and connect me to the rest of the student body. I think a possible way to increase student morale would be to create a goal that the all students can participate in and work towards. For example, the part of campus that recycles the most, saves the most energy, donates most to a charity, etc. can win a prize or perks around campus. All in all, DU is an amazing university, and I am so grateful I have to opportunity to study here.

Katelyn

The university takes pride in making sure that students have a welcoming environment, suitable for study, making new friends, and professional connections. Most of the professors are incredible teachers and care about their students' ability to do well in the class. There are a lot of on-campus clubs and activities that strive to unite students with like interests and build a close-knit community at DU. I feel at home there and enjoy my studies, and the resources available to expand my knowledge are excellent, the library is a great place to visit (even for the public).

Linneya

That feeling you get when you are with one of your favorite people in the entire world, and you are simply basking in each other’s company, pure happiness coursing through you, that feeling is one that makes each day worth waking up to. It’s moments like that, ones where you can be completely content in the simple yet meaningful things, that remind you that where you are is where you need to be. Since my first day at the University of Denver, I have felt this type of feeling in every opportunity that this school has provided me with. The University of Denver quickly invited me into its home where I have already been able to meet some of my best friends, be challenged in the classroom, and mature as an individual. I truly believe that DU strives to provide its students with a community oriented environment where they can thrive in whatever aspect they wish to thrive. Although the school is bigger than some, it is most definitely smaller than most, and the size itself, I consider, plays a significant role in both the social and the academic components of the school. The school is small enough where you can see the same people everyday and truly get to know them, yet, it is big enough where there will always be an unfamiliar face as well. DU embraces its size, encouraging students to find their close group of friends while still stepping out of their comfort zone to meet someone new. This feature is carried over into the classroom where one can be comfortable in a smaller class setting yet still be challenged to do their best work and learn something new. I love DU because I have the opportunity to be in a place that is comfortable yet puts me in a place where I am challenged to process new thoughts and concepts everyday. While being at a university, receiving a significant education is essential; however, being given the opportunity to develop into a more enriched and stronger-minded person is almost more important. College isn’t just another place where you go to school; college is a place where you can shape your life and figure out what type of person you are and wish to become. I genuinely believe that I am being fulfilled in these needs here at the University of Denver. The ways I have already grown as a person and the diverse, joyful experiences I have already encountered have just proved to me that the University of Denver is now my home.

I absolutely love it here. I feel like I have found myself in the midst of academics, sports, and extracurriculars. Students and faculty alike try to make the transition into college as easy and comfortable as possible and I wouldn't go back and change my choice if I could.

Kendall

While the wifi is sometimes slow, which can be frustrating as DU is a private school and costs much more than other schools, the academics are amazing and the teachers are easily contacted. The location is nice as it's not directly in downtown Denver, but downtown is easily accessible as the light rail station is right off campus. Housing on campus can be pricey, but all on campus housing is nice. Off campus housing is easy to find, and the neighborhoods feel safe enough, since many of the houses are occupied by families, as well as other students. University of Denver is an overall great school, providing the students that attend opportunities to study abroad, and push themselves academically at DU as well as abroad.

Robel

I really like my school. Most of the professors are really cool people and other students are really nice. NOT a very diverse campus though. The college is pretty safe in my opinion, and there are so many places to eat off-campus if you get sick of the dining hall food. Sports are super fun to watch and play in

Naomi

I love the school and the academics are absolutely amazing. The teachers are always available and the class sizes are small enough that the teachers know my name and want to help me succeed. The food on campus could improve but it is much better than high school food, I absolutely love going to school at the University of Denver.

Kaylyn

It’s a great school. The perfects size. It’s right in the heart of Denver and I love every moment I’m there. Everyone is so kind and helpful. You can really tell the students love their school. It helps that we are one of the best hockey teams in the nation. GO PIONEERS!!!

Tylor

I think not only is a wonderful school, but I also think that the school is very breathtaking. Seeing the environment that you’re in while attending the school has given you a much more better experience than what you would have from other colleges. This school is definitely a must When it comes to attending to the school. Even though the school quite be very expensive, but besides the financial part, the school is worth going into

dawit

Everybody who is smart should join Du. its facility is really excellent including the educational process is good. the professors are of the highest academic performance. some campuses are really interesting including the engineering and the university collage schools.

Erica

The University of Denver is overall a good university. It provides opportunities for all students. Some of the class sizes could be smaller like other classes. The campus is always beautiful and clean. Campus security makes sure everyone is safe by patrolling the campus and dealing with issues quickly and efficiently. The restrooms in housing and academic buildings could be cleaner and could look more appealing to the eye.

Grace

University of Denver has small class sizes, especially in comparison to other Colorado schools. Teachers are generally willing to help and meet with students. They keep regular office hours and usually keep you updated if they change them. It is on the quarter system which is nice if you like to take more classes per year.

Kortney

I love it. So much fun and great academics.

University of Denver is one of the best places I have ever attended! the student life is amazing and and it has everything to offer for academics. the staff is very qualified for there job, with most having a doctorate or PHD in the profession of the class they are teaching. 10 out of 10 would recommend.

Nancy

I think that the University of Denver is a perfect fit for someone who is looking for a school that was definitely bigger than their high school, but not overwhelmingly large. Denver offers so many opportunities to students looking to major in just about anything and they are very accommodating if there were to be a problem with your major of otherwise. The eduction they provide is perfect for students who don't do well in large lecture halls as most of the class sizes are around 20 students, with some exceptions.

Feels really overpriced for the available amenities and living situations. Definitely not a science school, way underfunded and it can really be felt during labs. Its in a really good location, close to downtown and with access to public transit, but that also means trying to find an off campus apartment is really difficult.

The University of Denver is a pretty great place. The campus itself is small and safe but is maintained well. The professors are easy to deal with and treat the students well. Class sizes are reasonable in relation to the class that one might be in. The food here is okay, mostly just repetitive. The dorms are decent although the walls are pretty thin and the showers are very small.

Johanna

I love the campus, the professors, the buildings and the setting of the school. Just outside of Downtown Denver it's close to museums, arts, hiking...the perfect mix of urban and suburban with outdoor activities around each corner!