Dubuque, IA
University of Dubuque

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Dubuque

Lucas

I would tell myself to care alot more about my course work.

I would tell myself to care alot more about my course work.

They care about each and every student and they want to do what ever necessary to see us succeed.

How hard College was compared to High School.

The University of Dubuque provides its students with a rounded, liberal education, equips its students with all that they need to succeed and is a positive environment which fosters individual growth and development.

I would look my past- self in the eyes, smile and begin my speech by communicating the most important lesson I have learned from my college experience thus far: "Always... Always, keep your head up." College students are at a juncture in their lives where it is beneficial and critical to make mistakes. We may change our majors four times in a semester, we may stay up too late or get distracted by our newfound freedom. If we did not make mistakes, if we did not fail, we would never learn. People have asked me what I want to do after graduation and I unashamedly say to them, "I'm not quite sure yet." At the beginning of my journey out of high school, I had expected to enter my collegiate career infallibly and I couldn't have been more unprepared. I have progressed to seeing myself as a young woman who is on a journey. Throughout that journey I will make wrong and right turns which will both equally contribute to my ultimate goals. It's most critical to stay on the path, stay positive, through all of the wrong turns that will be made along the way.

The University of Dubuque has amazing facilities. Is a student looking for a book or movie? He/she can visit the campus library! If students feel like working out, they always have the option of going to the recreation center. People in charge of these facilities keep flexible, open hours and are more than willing to accomodate students.

Mary

“I need to speak to you about the next ten years of your life,” I initiated the conversation with my past self. She looked up temporarily from her paper and sarcastically said, “Yeah, what are you, my guardian angel?” “Your grades are decent and your extra-curricular activities are impressive, but you have to do more.” “My schedule is full, as you seem to be aware, so what do you suggest, genius?” “There are a few things I would like you to spend the next semester looking into,” I explained as I handed her a checklist. The checklist is simple enough: 1.Apply for scholarships offered through specific colleges, essay contests, and promotional offers. 2.Ensure your acceptance to the college of your choice by giving anything you sign up for everything you have. 3.Understand that you will not be the best at everything every time you participate in something and that it is ok. 4.Love everyone you come in contact with- you never know which one will change your life, or which life you will change. 5.Hug Momma every chance you get, you don’t get her forever; heaven needs their angels back.

Greety

I would love to go back to my Senior year!! I would do so many things differently,focuse alot more on those important classes specially the ones with college credits.Enjoy high school alot more because the adult world is alot harder then it seems when your in high school.I would tell myself to focuse on a great career that I would like to study in college because it took me a while after high school to decide on what I wanted to study.The main advice I would give myself would be to stay focused because it's so much better to get your education then party and not have anything to back you up.

Leif

A friendly and diverse community focussed on the discovery of vocation and service.

It is a very diverse liberal arts university that gives its students the opportunity to learn what vocation truly is and discover their own vocation.

Don't be afraid to get involved on campus! Getting involved will help you transition into college life by helping you make friends, becoming familliar with campus, and gaining a sense of purpose. Every campus has some sort of student activities program that sponsor student clubs, organizations, and teams. Be sure to find one you are interested in and get a head start in becoming part of your university community! Good luck, and have fun!

Molly

The past is the past. It is not something that you can change, only learn from. I graduated with my Bachelor of Science degree in December of 2002. I had applied two years in a row for a graduate program and was denied acceptance. After contacting the schools I learned from my mistakes in undergrad. I am know in the process of retaking a few coursed as a result of not taking college seriously the first time around. What I have learned is that grades matter, grades will follow you if you want to move onto to the next level. I have learned the importance of putting studies first and socialization second, and not the other way around. I have learned that my teachers are there for me and want me to succeed in thier class. They want to ensure that I am able to meet my personal life goals. I have learned that hard work, dedication and determination is something that you have to maintain faith in and work at it. I have learned that it is never a mistake if you don't learn and grow form it. I have learned to believe in myself and my dreams.

The University of Dubuque offers small class sizes that allows for personal attention. The University is a private school that helps you in your spiritual journey. The campus in located in a 5 block radius. Also, the school in located in a city that has a home town feeling.

The teachers want me to succeed. They are willing to meet with you outside of office hours, and will direct you to the learning center. The individual attention I enjoy. In addition, the small class sizes makes it easier to meet new friends to create small study groups.

Andrew

My classmates seem to be looking for excitement most of the time.

My classmates seem to be looking for excitement most of the time.

My school is best known for its aviation majors and its presbyterian affiliation.

My school is a very small university which gives a more personal experience with the professors. I feel like I have had more assistance made available to me because of this. I attend school 1300 miles away from my home and it gives me the opportunity to begin living on my own with little or no assistance from my family starting at age 17. The University of Dubuque has given me several oppurtunities to try new things and be a unique and distinguished individual.

Melissa

There are students from all over the world that attend here so there is good cultural diversity. Also, the school denies hardly anyone so it is a good school for kids who are looking for a second chance. The professors are helpful and really care about each student's sucess.

Although I am hoping to transfer next year to a more academically challenging university, just being away at any school living without my parents and with various roommates has taught me a wealth about real life. Since high school, I have led a busy schedule. All my life my mother has picked up the falling pieces I often left behind, but now that I live on my own, I have had to learn to be extra organized to keep my school, sports, job, and RA postition up to my and my superiors' standards. I know this will help in the future when I hope to be a doctor and mother. Both are demanding jobs and I am determined to be the best at both. Beyond living without my family, I have had to learn to live with new people. This has not been easy becuase I like things clean, while many students my age forgo cleaniness of their living space; however, through our disputes, I have learned how to effectively compromise and deal with people I find myself being complete opposites of. In short, I would say college has been the perfect transition into the real world!

The school does not challenge me enough. I have always pushed myself to get A's but here it seems like I have to put hardly any effort in to get A's. I wish I had chosen a school that was more focused on high acedemic standards.

Carmellyn

I've learned that getting your education is valuable and important for me in the future. With this recession going on, I can see some people who have their degrees constantly losing their job and having to struggle to find another one. While in college, I have been able to work with different people and have enjoyed it. Not only do you meet new people, but you also learn new things about them while trying to make friends. I plan on getting my bachelor's degree in Psychology and continuing on to get my master's and perhaps my PhD. While working in those groups in some of my classes, I have been able to see how different people are living and how they feel about certain things. I take that oppurtunity to try to at least help and or encourage them that they can make it in life and accomplish their dreams just as I am. My goal is to make a difference in this world and I am starting at my school as a backbone to me moving forward. I'm so thankful and blessed that I have this oppurtunity to do that and perhaps change the world.

Kiesha

This school is a friendly, open-minded enviornment that works to make sure you attain an education to benefit your future.

I have learned alot from being at this school. This school is diverse with people from all over the world and you get to view a lot of different cultural backgrounds that open your eyes to many different things. I chose this canbus because the proffessors work with you to make sure that you are gettting the education you need and to make sure you can use your skills to find a career. There are so many opportunities at this university that you can take advantage of and I really value that at this university. Last but not least, the school is the perfect size. You dont ever feel like you are drowning in a class or like you can't handle the amount of work your given. There are many academic help programs that are free and right at your convenience.

People who arent willing to learn new things and experience an education that will be benefitial to you in the future.

University of Dubuque administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.