Dubuque, IA
University of Dubuque

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Dubuque

I thought that college was all about making new friends and memories and leaving my old life behind. I found out that I was wrong. My past always needs to be a part of my present and future. I should not have lost contact with old friends from high school, as someday I know I will need them. Actually, I need them now. I wish I could tell myself that in college friends will come and go. However, true friends that I grew up with will always be there for me. It is not going to be worth getting upset about because it is bound to happen, but that doesn't make it any easier, I know. I also wish that I could tell myself to work just a little bit harder. My present educational standing may have been a little better if I would have put in the extra effort in high school. More time spent on scholarships would have helped me out a lot, and so would have studying more for the ACT test. The best thing to remember is that your past will make your present and future, so make every day the best it can be.

The students are not very friendly and it is a very competitive environment. It is hard to make true friends.

Somebody who is very outgoing and can make friends easily should go here. It is good for a nursing education as well.

Aziza

It was a small school with small class sizes but with lots of professors who really cared about what they do and how their students do.

They were very determined individuals who cared about being in class every day and doing the work that was expected of them.

I would have tried a lot harder in high school in order to get better grades. I would have liked to have gotten into a better school but the better schools are usually a lot bigger and therefore a lot more intimidating. I liked going to a smaller school because it was a lot like high school in the way that there wasn't a lot of students. I made the transistion pretty well so I would have to say that you need to try and make as many friends as possible but don't let people take advantage of you.

Erin

Visit as many colleges as possible. Find a school that offers the most extra curricular activites because as college student we do have a lot of free time and its really nice to get involved. Also i attend a private school and i like it a lot better than my friends who attend a public school. I got 1:1 help from my professors where they even gave out there home phone numbers for extra help. Also there were not too many people at my school to where i was ever lost in the crowd.

The food choice.s in the cafiteris, its like highschool all over agian. Plus i love cooking so it was really hard to have a home cooked meal livng in the dorms.

I Have met the most amazing people from my school. My school has a bran new nursing program with all of these fake people and 2 fake people who act as if they wrere real to help us in our learning. Also i has the chance to play college soccer and loved every minute of it.

Michelle

Our school is best known for their aviation major. It is foremost an aviation school, and then enrollment for Nursing and Business majors are a close second and third. We are also known for how much the alumni give back to the University to help future students.

The best advice I could give would be to go out and visit the schools. It sounds cliche, but when you see the school that is right for you, you will know. It should feel like home, and you should feel welcome and safe there. You will only know this if you go through a campus visit.

I enjoy how friendly and helpful the professors are. They are always there and willing to help and will go the extra mile to get you where you want to be. It feels like home.

Katheryn

My advice for students and parents on making the most of their experience is to expect the unexpected. I feel if you are willing to try new things your experience will be that much better for it. College is the time for you to really understand who you are. In order to do this you need to challenge yourself and explore all the possibilites. One think I am proud of is that my school allows you to be as involed as you want. I am able to play varsity sports and participate in many other activities as well. Finally I would want you to remember to treat other as you want to be treated. Please do not judge people because you never know who they really are untill you get to know them. College is an amazing experience, one that I would never trade.

Shawn

My school is a very career-oriented school with professors who care about students and want to see them graduate and get great jobs after college.

My advice to students and/or parents looking for the right college is to look for one that the professors are not just there to make money, they are there to give students the knowledge they need to be successful in life. Go to a college that the professors work one-on-one with the students and will openly take time out of their day to see a student understand the course better. As for the college experience, make the most of college. College has been the best years of my life, because I have gained so much more confidence in myself and my knowledge, that I can take with me going into a job. I also think that you should try out fraternities/sororities, because it gives you opportunities you don't usually get if you were not in the group. I am in an Aviation Fraternity and it has helped me to gain confidence and also acquire contacts that I can rely on when looking for jobs after graduation. So definitely make the most out of your time at college, it only happens once.

I consider the best thing about UD is the student to faculty relationships. Everyone gets along and the faculty will help students when they need it to make sure they succeed.

Thomas

The school is very conservative and religious with little interest in teaching other views other than what they feel are religiously accepted and will please their alumni who give them money.

I would want to tell them to choose a school that will help in your career the most while still providing a good balance. Choose a school where you feel your professors are teaching you something that you couldnt have learned on your own. Look for a place where you can make friends that share your political ideas becuase if you are liberal and everybody is conservative..visa versa, it makes getting along extreemly difficult.

It is small and for my career in aviation it helps in allowing the aircraft to avaiable to fly when i want.

Whitley

To find the right college you need to go onto the campus and sit in on your major classes. At the end of the day, I truly feel you get a sense of home when your at the right campus. Another thing to do is talk to the students that currently attend the campus and see how they feel about the college (this will give you the insiders look not the written up speech you're suppose to get). Any school can be a party school but not every school feels like home. So make your decision wisely. In addition, to make the most out of your college experience you need to engage yourself into activities. Not only will it give you something to do but you will meet people that have the same interest as yourself. But the most important thing is be yourself. You'll be much happier in the end.

The worst thing about the University of Dubuque is the fact that I was promised a lot more money then what I had gotten by the ex-volleyball coach. And it's not like I can have my parents pay for it. They have decent jobs but I have three siblings (all being younger then me) and they will let anyone live in our house to feel safe. So in the summer I work three jobs and I still don't have enough money. I just wish I could recieve more money from the school.

Any person that is racist should not attend this school. This school is very diverse (from this we learn a lot) but it is a big eye opener.

University of Dubuque administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.