University of Dubuque Top Questions

Lucas

I would tell myself to care alot more about my course work.

I would look my past- self in the eyes, smile and begin my speech by communicating the most important lesson I have learned from my college experience thus far: "Always... Always, keep your head up." College students are at a juncture in their lives where it is beneficial and critical to make mistakes. We may change our majors four times in a semester, we may stay up too late or get distracted by our newfound freedom. If we did not make mistakes, if we did not fail, we would never learn. People have asked me what I want to do after graduation and I unashamedly say to them, "I'm not quite sure yet." At the beginning of my journey out of high school, I had expected to enter my collegiate career infallibly and I couldn't have been more unprepared. I have progressed to seeing myself as a young woman who is on a journey. Throughout that journey I will make wrong and right turns which will both equally contribute to my ultimate goals. It's most critical to stay on the path, stay positive, through all of the wrong turns that will be made along the way.

“I need to speak to you about the next ten years of your life,” I initiated the conversation with my past self. She looked up temporarily from her paper and sarcastically said, “Yeah, what are you, my guardian angel?” “Your grades are decent and your extra-curricular activities are impressive, but you have to do more.” “My schedule is full, as you seem to be aware, so what do you suggest, genius?” “There are a few things I would like you to spend the next semester looking into,” I explained as I handed her a checklist. The checklist is simple enough: 1.Apply for scholarships offered through specific colleges, essay contests, and promotional offers. 2.Ensure your acceptance to the college of your choice by giving anything you sign up for everything you have. 3.Understand that you will not be the best at everything every time you participate in something and that it is ok. 4.Love everyone you come in contact with- you never know which one will change your life, or which life you will change. 5.Hug Momma every chance you get, you don’t get her forever; heaven needs their angels back.

Greety

I would love to go back to my Senior year!! I would do so many things differently,focuse alot more on those important classes specially the ones with college credits.Enjoy high school alot more because the adult world is alot harder then it seems when your in high school.I would tell myself to focuse on a great career that I would like to study in college because it took me a while after high school to decide on what I wanted to study.The main advice I would give myself would be to stay focused because it's so much better to get your education then party and not have anything to back you up.

Leif

Don't be afraid to get involved on campus! Getting involved will help you transition into college life by helping you make friends, becoming familliar with campus, and gaining a sense of purpose. Every campus has some sort of student activities program that sponsor student clubs, organizations, and teams. Be sure to find one you are interested in and get a head start in becoming part of your university community! Good luck, and have fun!

The past is the past. It is not something that you can change, only learn from. I graduated with my Bachelor of Science degree in December of 2002. I had applied two years in a row for a graduate program and was denied acceptance. After contacting the schools I learned from my mistakes in undergrad. I am know in the process of retaking a few coursed as a result of not taking college seriously the first time around. What I have learned is that grades matter, grades will follow you if you want to move onto to the next level. I have learned the importance of putting studies first and socialization second, and not the other way around. I have learned that my teachers are there for me and want me to succeed in thier class. They want to ensure that I am able to meet my personal life goals. I have learned that hard work, dedication and determination is something that you have to maintain faith in and work at it. I have learned that it is never a mistake if you don't learn and grow form it. I have learned to believe in myself and my dreams.

My school is a very small university which gives a more personal experience with the professors. I feel like I have had more assistance made available to me because of this. I attend school 1300 miles away from my home and it gives me the opportunity to begin living on my own with little or no assistance from my family starting at age 17. The University of Dubuque has given me several oppurtunities to try new things and be a unique and distinguished individual.

Although I am hoping to transfer next year to a more academically challenging university, just being away at any school living without my parents and with various roommates has taught me a wealth about real life. Since high school, I have led a busy schedule. All my life my mother has picked up the falling pieces I often left behind, but now that I live on my own, I have had to learn to be extra organized to keep my school, sports, job, and RA postition up to my and my superiors' standards. I know this will help in the future when I hope to be a doctor and mother. Both are demanding jobs and I am determined to be the best at both. Beyond living without my family, I have had to learn to live with new people. This has not been easy becuase I like things clean, while many students my age forgo cleaniness of their living space; however, through our disputes, I have learned how to effectively compromise and deal with people I find myself being complete opposites of. In short, I would say college has been the perfect transition into the real world!

Carmellyn

I've learned that getting your education is valuable and important for me in the future. With this recession going on, I can see some people who have their degrees constantly losing their job and having to struggle to find another one. While in college, I have been able to work with different people and have enjoyed it. Not only do you meet new people, but you also learn new things about them while trying to make friends. I plan on getting my bachelor's degree in Psychology and continuing on to get my master's and perhaps my PhD. While working in those groups in some of my classes, I have been able to see how different people are living and how they feel about certain things. I take that oppurtunity to try to at least help and or encourage them that they can make it in life and accomplish their dreams just as I am. My goal is to make a difference in this world and I am starting at my school as a backbone to me moving forward. I'm so thankful and blessed that I have this oppurtunity to do that and perhaps change the world.

Kiesha

I have learned alot from being at this school. This school is diverse with people from all over the world and you get to view a lot of different cultural backgrounds that open your eyes to many different things. I chose this canbus because the proffessors work with you to make sure that you are gettting the education you need and to make sure you can use your skills to find a career. There are so many opportunities at this university that you can take advantage of and I really value that at this university. Last but not least, the school is the perfect size. You dont ever feel like you are drowning in a class or like you can't handle the amount of work your given. There are many academic help programs that are free and right at your convenience.

I thought that college was all about making new friends and memories and leaving my old life behind. I found out that I was wrong. My past always needs to be a part of my present and future. I should not have lost contact with old friends from high school, as someday I know I will need them. Actually, I need them now. I wish I could tell myself that in college friends will come and go. However, true friends that I grew up with will always be there for me. It is not going to be worth getting upset about because it is bound to happen, but that doesn't make it any easier, I know. I also wish that I could tell myself to work just a little bit harder. My present educational standing may have been a little better if I would have put in the extra effort in high school. More time spent on scholarships would have helped me out a lot, and so would have studying more for the ACT test. The best thing to remember is that your past will make your present and future, so make every day the best it can be.

Aziza

I would have tried a lot harder in high school in order to get better grades. I would have liked to have gotten into a better school but the better schools are usually a lot bigger and therefore a lot more intimidating. I liked going to a smaller school because it was a lot like high school in the way that there wasn't a lot of students. I made the transistion pretty well so I would have to say that you need to try and make as many friends as possible but don't let people take advantage of you.

Visit as many colleges as possible. Find a school that offers the most extra curricular activites because as college student we do have a lot of free time and its really nice to get involved. Also i attend a private school and i like it a lot better than my friends who attend a public school. I got 1:1 help from my professors where they even gave out there home phone numbers for extra help. Also there were not too many people at my school to where i was ever lost in the crowd.

The best advice I could give would be to go out and visit the schools. It sounds cliche, but when you see the school that is right for you, you will know. It should feel like home, and you should feel welcome and safe there. You will only know this if you go through a campus visit.

Katheryn

My advice for students and parents on making the most of their experience is to expect the unexpected. I feel if you are willing to try new things your experience will be that much better for it. College is the time for you to really understand who you are. In order to do this you need to challenge yourself and explore all the possibilites. One think I am proud of is that my school allows you to be as involed as you want. I am able to play varsity sports and participate in many other activities as well. Finally I would want you to remember to treat other as you want to be treated. Please do not judge people because you never know who they really are untill you get to know them. College is an amazing experience, one that I would never trade.

Do whatever feels right in your heart, regardless of cost. It will be the best decision you ever make.

Shawn

My advice to students and/or parents looking for the right college is to look for one that the professors are not just there to make money, they are there to give students the knowledge they need to be successful in life. Go to a college that the professors work one-on-one with the students and will openly take time out of their day to see a student understand the course better. As for the college experience, make the most of college. College has been the best years of my life, because I have gained so much more confidence in myself and my knowledge, that I can take with me going into a job. I also think that you should try out fraternities/sororities, because it gives you opportunities you don't usually get if you were not in the group. I am in an Aviation Fraternity and it has helped me to gain confidence and also acquire contacts that I can rely on when looking for jobs after graduation. So definitely make the most out of your time at college, it only happens once.

Ron

Find a place that will help mold you in the way that ypu want to be

I would want to tell them to choose a school that will help in your career the most while still providing a good balance. Choose a school where you feel your professors are teaching you something that you couldnt have learned on your own. Look for a place where you can make friends that share your political ideas becuase if you are liberal and everybody is conservative..visa versa, it makes getting along extreemly difficult.

Whitley

To find the right college you need to go onto the campus and sit in on your major classes. At the end of the day, I truly feel you get a sense of home when your at the right campus. Another thing to do is talk to the students that currently attend the campus and see how they feel about the college (this will give you the insiders look not the written up speech you're suppose to get). Any school can be a party school but not every school feels like home. So make your decision wisely. In addition, to make the most out of your college experience you need to engage yourself into activities. Not only will it give you something to do but you will meet people that have the same interest as yourself. But the most important thing is be yourself. You'll be much happier in the end.

Go with what you think is best for you.

Carlton

Find a school that fits your needs as well as schools that you may not be used to such as private schools. The University of Dubuque is a private school but its wonderful for the people who attend. It makes you feel like a family with students and falculty. Also being at a small college helps us learn more affectively without failing our class as well as be able to get involved in athletics and extra curricular activities. Small schools are the best way to go.

The college you go to must feel right to you. The most important thing about picking a college is that when you are there you must feel like you are at home. While attending college you should try to make the best of it, try to balance having fun with getting things done. Do your school work but have while doing it. Choose a major that you already love doing. I choose computer graphics because I am very passonate about video games. Because I love video games my classes dont seem like home work I truly enjoy what I'm doing. That is the most important thing about your college experience enjoy it, because it goes by in a flash.

That when you find the right college you will just know. Look for a college that makes you feel at home.

Lucas

The most pertinent things to consider when choosing a school to fit your needs would include taking a look at the social opportunities just as hard as you must analyze the achademic curriculum. Being happy is the most important thing when picking a college. College should be an enjoyable experience. Many friends can be made when you pick a school that contains students just like you. To ensure that this happens, a school with a diverse student body is very important. Picking a school which enables you to build a strong support network behind you, allows anyone to be successful.

Be true to yourself. Pick what school you really feel comfortable in not which one is "cool" because in the long run that will not matter. Do not follow the crowd. Be involved. Be social. Do your homework. Study. Make sure you actually sleep. Eat good meals. Your friends here will be friends for a life time so choose wisely. No matter what, just be yourself! : )

No Thanks

My best advice is, choose the college that makes you feel most comfortable. Choose a 4 year not a 2 year, although in some cases a 2 year college may be all that is needed, but a 4 year college helps students experience "real" college. Where a 2 year college a student doesn't have an opportunity to meet new students or have a chance of having a good 1 on 1 relationship with the student. Which i highly recomend, students get to know all your professor's on a first name basis, they will be great references in the future when job searching! P.S. Follow your intuition with a smile and live a dream!

Ronald

Make sure the college has a specific program related to what your career choice you have, and make sure the program is of good quality. Make sure the professors in your area of study are very educated and are highly qualified in your career or area of interest. Visit the college a couple times before you make a decision. I remember when I chose the first college I wanted to go to. WHen I was on campus I felt like I was at home, and this made the choice alot easier. You have to feel comfortable where you're at. Make sure you don't get caught up in the wrong crowd because if you do you will become something your not. Remember that you are paying to go to college. It's money you are spending, and don't let it go to waste. Most of all have fun: get involved in extra-curricular activities, sports, intramurals, fraternities/sororities, student groups, etc. When you are in college and choosing what college you want to go to you have to follow your heart because that is the only thing that can lead you the right direction.

You have to like the campus and the majority of the people you meet their on your campus tour. Make sure you like the dorms that they show you, because you have to live their for at least one year whether you like it or not.

Luis

With so many colleges vying for new students, a few put on a good show and try oh-so-hard to impress potential freshmen. if you really want to see what a college is like, sit in on classes, see if there is a way for you to stay on campus for a Friday for classes and then the weekend to see what it's like. If possible try to attend classes focused on something you might be interested in majoring in. And remember, it's OKAY to change your major. Just because you picked something to start with doesn't mean that you have to stick with. Being stuck in a career you hate because you felt an obligation towards that major in college is definitely something you don't want to live with. Parents: yes you have more experience and wisdom etc. etc., but this is your child's future, let them decide where they want to go. You can guide them a little, but please, don't smother them with your profound insight on the fact that you, the parent, know what they want more than they do. Trust me, you don't.

The task of choosing the right college may seem daunting and even frightening to parents. Sending your student off to a place where they will most likely be on there on for the first time can be very stressful. When researching schools it is imperative that the campus has more than just the desired degree to offer. Check the councelling services, new student orientation practices, the rules and regulations of the campus dorms, and the security and emergency alert procedures. Making sure these things are in place will bring peace of mind. Talking to alumni and current students is a great way to get an idea of the academic expectaions, social activities and resources available within the campus community. A tour of the campus and surrounding community is also a great way to ensure your student is a good fit for the school of their choice. Making sure your student feels comfortable in their new environment will make the transition to college life easier for both of you!

Hope

Finding the right college is a very personal choice and I don't believe that it can be fully decided until that students takes the time to visit each college, sometimes more than once. For me, when I got to the University of Dubuque...it felt like home. I immediately fell in love with the campus and being able to sit in on a couple of the classes really showed me that I wanted to attend a school that could provide the small class sizes. First figure out the basics: do you want a classroom with 15 or 150 other students, do you want to walk from class to class and see familiar faces or have most of the people you see be strangers, and lastly, does that school offer what you are looking for as far as a major goes. Location is key too...do you want to be able to drive home on the weekends or only go back to visit for christmas break. After you have answered these questions, that should help narrow down your choices.

My advice would be for the students and parents would be make a college visit, hang out on campus with some students, see if you feel comfortable. Make sure you ask question regarding your priorities on what you want in a college and if this college will meet your needs. Most of all I believe that smaller colleges like the one I attend make it easier to focus and gives you more one on one time with the teacher. When you have more one on one interaction a teacher can become a friend, mentor or even a good reference on a resume. Most of all make sure the college fits your needs and wants! Make sure it makes you happy!! As I always say..... "Follow your intuition with a smile, live a dream!"

The best advise I could give to a student would be to try and narrow down your career goals before you get to college. Comming in with no idea what you want to do might not detract from the overall college experience, but it could end up costing you more money than if you focus towards a career the whole time. Also, a fine ballance needs to be maintained between staying focused and enjoying the college experience. For most of us, we only get to do this once. Don't let the new experiences distract you from your goals, but also dont let your goals make you miss out on new experiences. Grades are important, but a "B" or a "C" is not the end of the world. College is about more than academics and I would not trade the experiences I've had or the friends I made for the world.

When looking for a college to attend, begin by choosing one that has your desired major, or something from which you would like to make a career. Second, make campus visits or at least talk to as many people, preferably students, from that school as you can. Maximizing your knowledge about a school is key. Are class sizes so big that you will get lost in the crowd? Is this something that you would like? How do the teachers interact with students and other faculty? The point of this is to get a feel of the campus culture, to see how the people there interact with each other, and to determine if you will fit in. Making the most out of your college experience will depend on what you want college to be. If you enjoy being in groups, don't be shy in your classes. Get to know people. Don't focus too much on school or friends. Find a good balance that is healthy and won't stress you out. Some people involve themselves in too many activities and have no time for friends. Most importantly, don't change who you are to impress someone. Just be yourself!

Joel

Do not pressure your kids into college. College is important to some degree but focus on your kids. Its ok to change majors and to take breaks. Do as much as you can without too much stress. If college isn't right for kids than it's ok. There is more to life than meets the eye. Good Luck with the search! and always keep moving forward!

Try not to pressure your children/or yourself into determining what major is best for you, because more than likely you will change your mind. Find a place where you find comfortable and welcome in, from there the rest will fall into place.