University of Evansville Top Questions

When I first arrived at college, my attitude was cocky to say the least. I thought that I was emotionally independent enough to make it with little help from my parents. However, I soon discovered that I was mistaken. My heart ached with homesickness. Day in and day out, I yearned for familiar faces to see and a familiar bed to sleep on. After a couple of weeks, I realized why I missed my home so dearly. I had lived in the same town all my life, and I was deeply connected there. All of my friends, family, and memories formed an intricate system of roots that kept me tied to my home town. In order for my university to become my home, I had to start making connections there too. I became involved in clubs, through which I met friends and made other memories. Because of this, my college campus became a second home to me. This is the most important advice I could give myself as a high school senior. The best way to make your new college campus a home is to get connected through clubs and root yourself there with the friends and memories you make.

Esmeralda

Advice I would give myself in the past is not to procrasinate. To get as many sholarships as possible instead of having to struggle with getting money for school. That just because you have a year till college doesn't mean you can slack off. I would give myself a wake up call that the world is knocking at my door.

Cynthia

Like most high school seniors, I was worried about fitting in when I came to college. I was worried that even at a small, private university, I would just be another face in the crowd. I had a loving, supportive community in high school and I thought no one in college would like me for who I really am. After surviving my first year of college, it is clear I had nothing to worry about. The truth is, everyone in college wants to fit in. We are all experiencing something new and strange together. We are all awkward, but we are awkward together. In college, no one cares about the labels you possessed in high school. College is a fresh start; a chance to be your true self. I would tell myself the most overused, but true, line I've heard this year: just be yourself. The ones who like you will show you by being your friend. The ones you don't like who you are aren't worth your time. Focus your energy on those people who help you grow. Be your awkward self; you never know who might want to be your friend.

Kendra

My biggest piece of advice is to not go in expecting anything specific. The entire college experience will shape your life more than you understand and in more ways than one. You will learn many things about many different cultures and other peoples' perceptions and understandings about life. There will be things that you were taught all your life in your little town, where everyone thinks in exactly the same way, that you will find out are not all that the world has to offer. Much of this is learned within your first year at school, but there will be things that will take time to learn and understand about yourself throughout all four years. Take these opportunities to grow and learn, rather than fretting about what everyone else may think. You will learn to think for yourself and not allow other people to continue to make life decisions for you. Embrace it! Be who you are and develop the person you want to be. In the end, it is your life and you have to make it what you want it to be.

If I were to go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would have told myself to stop worrying about the little things and enjoy what I have left of high school. All too often high school students worry about matters that won't even make a difference in their life in the long run; therefore they spend too much time gossiping and worrying about each other. It wasn't until graduation that I realized it was all over. Senior year flies by faster than any other year; therefore in high school as well as college, I would advise myself to make the most of it. I would also advise myself to think more seriously about finances and college applications at the beginning of my Senior year, so that I would not have to worry about them as much towards the end. THe more scholarships I applied to, the better off I would have been starting college. Also, if I had applied to more colleges in the beginning, I would have had more choices in the end, along without having to fill out any last minute applications as I did for the University of Evansville.

You are a senior now, and entering a challenging, fun and exciting time of life. Remember to enjoy your senior year. As much as high school is annoying in many ways, there are good moments at any stage of life. Take advantage of your senior classes and take classes that will challenge you even if your friends are not. In the end, you will appreciate that you worked hard and prepared yourself better for the road ahead. When it comes time to visit colleges write down the pro's and con's of each school. Also, make a list of the top three characteristics that you cannot live without. No matter where you go there will be good and bad aspects of the school. Make sure that your most important priorities are met at the school you choose. On a final note, remember to enjoy the process and accept the change gladly. College is an amazing time of life even though it is incredibly hard. Cherish every moment you have now, and the moments that will come soon.

The "Freshmen 15" will only exist if you actually have money to buy food. In that case, save up the money you make. It can come in handy. They're not lying when they say you may end up paying $1000 for books. Apply to as many scholarships as you can. Don't get a credit card. Don't be afraid to be yourself. No one is really going to judge you. Make friends, go to parties, get involved with campus activities, and have fun. Keep an open mind about your decided major. It can change once or twice or several times. It's okay to make mistakes. In fact, make mistakes. Mistakes let you learn. The point of college is to learn, but it's also to find yourself. You won't be the same person you are in high school. If you are, you're doing it wrong. Change, and change for the better. Do something awesome with your life. You'll get there eventually.

Jessa

I would tell myself to stay calm, work hard, but also make time for making friends too. I would tell myself to be aware that there are several types of people out there that I can become friends with, so long as I put myself out there and make an attempt. Be sure to be good at time management; it's easy to get caught up in doing just homework all the time, or just want to hang out with your friends, balance is key. Being a student makes you become more independent; you will learn to do your own laundry, cook your own food, and get to class without your parents to wake you, but it is not that hard. I would say to remember that you can do it, and you will make it through all of the tough times and make some lasting memories. College is the only time in life when you will have so many opportunities in such a small area with so many people that come from different backgrounds and are so close to your age.

Clever

I would research moremake wiser college selections in terms of the size of the schools, the financial aid they offer, and the setting and location of the colleges. I would also visit the colleges and make sure I make a more informed decision! Finally, I would also visit the city where the college is located for a weekend and evaluate whether or not I would be happy to live the for the duration of my degree.

annah

Advice to my high school self, The first thing I would say with transitioning from high school to college is do not have a job and classes that first year. It takes a lot of work to do both and will be very, very stressful. Try to take it a little easier. Focus on only one thing. Try to make that one thing school. Do not go to an actual college though. Find a trade school since that is what you are going to do. It will take you much less time and enable you to be ready to enter the world much sooner. There will be no need for a bunch of credits from classes that might not really apply to your life. Lastly, start looking for scholarships sooner. There are many that you can only apply for while in high school; also, the sooner it is taken care of the sooner you can stop worrying about how to pay for school. Lots of luck, Yourself

Melia

Knowing what I do now, I would have a lot to tell my high school self. In high school, I had a tough time making friends and fitting in, so I think I would start by giving myself a much needed pep talk. After a big hug and maybe a few tears, I'd then get down to business. I would stress the importance of filling out scholarship applications, even though at that point, I was dead set on attending a local cosmetology program. Depending on time during my senior year that I could talk to my younger self, I would also advise taking challenging classes during high school to prepare for the workload college students typically have. Last but not least, I would mention to myself to refuse living with roommates my first year out of my parent's house- nothing good will come of it. Before leaving, I would also remind myself that sometimes people are mean, and most of the time, it's for no specific reason, so don't take it personally and keep your chin up.

angel

I would tell myself not to take a break and go staright to college. Try going to a community college first so you can get the feel of the college life and how things work. Make sure you understand the financial side of going to college especially if you need financial aide. Try your best and study hard to make sure you pass your classes, because this is money that you will have to pay back. You want to go to school to get your education and not play around. The sooner you get done, the sooner you can start your career.

Dalton

If I was able to go back in time to when I was a high school senior and give advice to myself I would tell myself that the first year is the most difficult and that it requires more effort to make the next three years easier. Following up with an account of what will happen in the future if I do not work harder and smarter will present me with two options. First would be to let it happen and the second would be to fix it. I know I would not choose the first and my future self would explain what actions were not wise and how they can be avoided. I would tell myself to work smarter by breaking things down into steps and taking those seps one at a time until the whole project or task is completed because it will create a less stressful environment and help clearly define my goal and purpose. The last piece of advice would be to ask for help with my projects more often. By engaging other people in my work I can keep focus on where I want to go because I will be leading them to its end.

brooke

The common perception of a high school student is "oh, I'll do that later" or "I'll do better next time". In high school I was able to hang out with my friends and dink around whenever I wanted to. Transitioning into college, I realized there is no more busy work. If you procrastinate and have even one bad exam score, your overall grade will be effected. There is no more cushion. I would tell my high school self to begin practicing better studying habits so I not only know the material for a test, but I will keep it in my brain long term. Also, I think it is even more important in college to surround yourself with people who have the same goals as you do and care enough about you to keep you on track instead of distracting you. I have met so many people in college that I will be friends with for the rest of my life and have pushed me to stay on track and not only be a better student, but a better person. I wish I had a better grasp of my priorities in high school than I did.

KC

Since I began college I have learned and am experiencing a lot . I have leaned that life is not as easy as I thought it was, With that in mind. I would tell myself that college is not like High School and you have to be more independent and everything you do in school do it like it is urgent and not procrastinate because you will get lost in the shuffle .

I am twenty-four years old, and I am much wiser than I was as a high school senior. There is a copious amount of advice I would love to tell that high school senior who had so many decisions to make, however there is one piece of advice which would be indispensable in making college life and life in general much easier. My only piece of advice to myself is to not worry about how long it may take to reach the goals I set for myself. If you’re in a rush you may not take the proper time to think things through, and make the right choices regarding your future. Also, if you rush through life you will never have time to really live life. What are your educational and professional goals worth if reaching them doesn’t enable you to enjoy your life? I would not change the time it took me to reach my goals, but if I had a chance I would use that time more wisely. I am twenty-four and hoping that by the time I’m thirty my goals will be complete and along the way I will have some fun.

Now is the time to begin figuring out your best study habits. You may have been able to breeze through high school without needing to study, but that is only going to hurt you down the line in college. If you start off your college career trying to learn what works best for you every time a test is flung your way, you will start off miserable with a miserable GPA to match. Spending thirty minutes studying the way that works best for you is so much more valuable than two hours studying the wrong way. That being said, there isn't one correct way for everybody; I like to study in a public place, but my friend seeks solitude when she studies. If you find it difficult to figure out your best study habits, use your college's resources! They want to see you succeed, and are guaranteed to have plenty of helpful programs or resources to help you find your way. Your counselors' jobs are to see that you succeed, and you will benefit tremendously if you take advantage of that.

Dear Jay, College is one of many journeys you will have in your life time. However it is one of the most important journeys. A college education is the foundation of the skill set and tools that you will need in order to be successful in your carrier path. So here are a few tips to help you transition and navigate through college. 1.If you need financial aid, learn about your options. There is state and federal aid, scholarships, grants, and college loans. Choose the best one that works for you and apply. 2.Know the rescores your college offers, such as tutorial labs, academic groups, study groups, and workshops; use them they’re there to help you succeed. 3.Get to know your professors, there may come a time when you might need one of them to write you a recommendation letter. 4.College course loads are very demanding and college life outside of the class room can be very tempting. So balance your college experience. Schoolwork should always stay priority one and social time comes after. Have fun but have boundaries. Don’t be that student who over indulges or you may not succeed.

Jerry

There are many times that I just wish that I could go back in time to give myself advice for the major life transition from high school to college; however, that is just impossible. What is possible though, is that I can help other students that were in the same place that I was in not to long ago. So that is what I am here to do. So close to about two years ago when I was starting my high school senior year, It would have been such a blessing to be able to hear about the transition to college. I would have told myself that college is somthing that is completly unique, somthing that you really do not expect. It is a way to continue your education and life experiences ,while at the same time, you are getting a fresh start. College will stretch your capabilities in a way you could never imagine. It not only enriches and stretches your intellectual capabilites, but also the way you handle finances, the way you cooperate with new people, and even just the way you think. I would encourage myself to step up and make the most out of the oppertunity.

Going off to college is a great way to meet new people, explore new things, and learn more about yourself. While you are guaranteed to do these things, it is important to never forget why you are going to college in the first place; grades. Focus on your academics and keeping good grades and everything else will come to you in good time. It may seem cliche, but it is the most overlooked and underestimated piece of advice you will ever receive. Stay persistent and better yourself. Also, don't be afraid to ask for help. There are people everywhere who would not hesitate to help you, if you just ask. There are several things in college you can accomplish by yourself, and that is okay. Finally, get involved around campus. Getting involved helps give back to the community, build your skill set, add to your transcript, and make the most of your college career.

If I could go back in time to talk to my high school self before I went to college, I would tell myself to not over stress about meeting new people and to be open to every opportunity. I was the only person from my high school go to the University of Evansville and I do not have family in the immediate area, so I essentially felt isolated. However, by joining clubs that interested me both socially and academically, I quickly found my niche. Instead of worrying about how others would perceive me, I would tell my high school self to advantage of every opportunity to expand my comfort zone. College presented a lot of opportunities for learning new material that I previoulsy did not even know existed. Instead of fearing not knowing something, my high school self should instead embrace the opportunity to expand my knowledge. By giving this advice to my high school self I feel that my current self would be much more open to learning new things.

Steph

I would tell my high-school self that it is more than okay to not have everything figured out before heading to college because I would be exposed to so many new opportunities and life-changing people in college that would help me figure out what path I wanted to take in my future. Additionally, I would tell myself to not worry about making new friends because there are so many people with different personalities and interests on campus that I was sure to meet many new and interesting people that I would feel grateful to call my friends. I would also advise myself to get to know my professors outside of the classroom because they are an invaluable resource for academic support and career guidance. The final piece of advice that I would communicate to my high-school self would be to make the most of every moment. College is a unique time when students can explore who they are, who they want to be, and what they want to get out of life, and it is important to take full advantage of this opportunity.

If I could go back to my senior year of high school, I would have worked harder to have a high GPA in order to secure more financial aid and scholarships. Money doesn't really make sense to you until you are a senior looking at all the loans you will be paying back for the rest of your life. I could have gone to a state school, and saved a ton of money, but I wouldn't have grown as a person like I have here. The students, faculty and campus made me who I am, and the money spent will always be worth it, despite the stress of loans.

Hello 18 year-old Jenna, My advice to you from the future is everything will work out if you keep trying. Stop second-guessing yourself because you have done everything you can to prepare for the unexpected. The clichés of making sure to be yourself and having fun are true. Everything works out and there is no need to worry about not having enough money or the right friends. Maybe work on your handwriting so your note taking isn't sloppy in college. There won't be enough time in the day to do everything in college but try your best to get to know people and try new things. You will make the best of friends and the meet the most interesting people that will soon reassure you that you're at the right school. Advice for your homework: never ever procrastinate! After the first time, you will learn to do a little bit each day so that you don't have to deal with that horrible all-nighter again. Ask for help when you need it, whether it is dealing with your homework or the stress, someone will be there for you because you're pretty awesome!

I would tell myself to work harder on getting scholarship. Procrastinating is not good. It only sets you up to rush, panic, stress out, and in t urn you don't do your best. I would tell myself to learn how to organize my work and to learn time management. I would have told myself to join more clubs like SGA and to participate in more activities in my community. Read, read, read.

I would tell myself to never give up and keep striving for good grades because they will pay off in the end.

Since I graduated in 2009, I have learned to “roll with the punches” and I followed the most outlandish dream that I thought I had no chance at achieving in high school. That dream was to graduate from the University of Evansville, the university that I currently attend. In high school, I thought that I would not be able to afford my nursing education at UE, let alone get in. I never applied, never had the chance to get accepted, and I put that dream of earning my diploma from UE on the backburner. I attended a community college soon after receiving my high school diploma and I disliked almost every minute of it. I would tell my 18 year old self to risk rejection, apply to my dream university and worry about the money after receiving word of acceptance. I would also tell myself that no matter what happens, keep working and fighting to achieve that dream. If I would have followed that advice back then I would be graduating this year with my Bachelors of Science in Nursing, instead of graduating with the class of 2015. I haven’t given up and am still fighting for that dream.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition, my advice to myself would be that sometimes it is okay to not know. When I was a senior in high school, everyone always asked me what I wanted to do with my life, and I never had an answer. To me, it was extremely frustrating to not know and to not have a plan when there was so much pressure on picking a major. I started my freshman year as an undecided student. However, now that I have completed one year of college, I have realized that sometimes it is okay to not know because college is a learning experience. Eventually, I was able to decide on a major. However, even if one has a plan, life has a way of being unexpected and sometimes does not go as planned. It is hard to have an exact plan for tomorrow when no one even knows what tomorrow has to offer. In the end, it is that not knowing that is leading me to where I need to go.

Knowing what I know now about college, there is so much advice I would give myself as a high school senior. However, I would mainly emphasize the importance of trying to find a major and career path to explore. When I was a senior in high school, I did not explore potential career paths the way I should have. I thought the right major would eventually come to me; everyone said it would, but it didn’t. I entered my freshman year of college as an undeclared student. Being a freshman is stressful, but not having a major made it more complicated. I was constantly stressed about trying to choose the right major while I made this huge transition in my life. If I could go back and tell myself to explore possible career paths as a high school senior, I would have made my first year of college a little less stressful. Choosing a major that is right for you is extremely important. The number one thing I would tell myself as a high school senior would be to find a potential major. It would have been beneficial to my future and made my life a little easier.

I would tell myself to study more. Know exactly what helps myself understand material better and retain that knowledge as long as possible. Also i would tell myself to use all the study time I have now and to never slack or procrastinate on anything. Find out what distracts me and take those factors out of my focus when I do study. Lastly I would tell my high school self just to be yourself and no to fret over going to a new place and meeting new people.

When students make the transition from high school to college, their response is often one of shock when realizing the variety of changes to which they must adapt. This often causes students to reflect on their years of high school and consider what advice would have been helpful to them as high school seniors. If I had the opportunity to give advice to myself in high school, I would first explain that in order to succeed in college, one must be entirely self-motivated. Unlike high school, the teachers are not there to hold anyone’s hand throughout the semester. College is what you make it to be. Secondly, I would say that studying at late hours is simply a part of college life. However, there is no need to worry about that because one adapts rather quickly. Lastly, I would say “be prepared to step out of your comfort zone.” In college, there are individuals from hundreds of cultures. By familiarizing yourself with these individuals, you gain experience and knowledge about places which you may have never known existed. The main idea that I would want to impart is to be prepared for changes in college and stay positive.

Olivia, dear, you should have no problems making friends in college. You're going to be so surprised how easy it is, so don't worry about it. Maybe you should practise having a schedualed study time. School is not as structured as high school. Life is no longer 8am to 3pm straight school. You'll have an hour to two hours between classes, and you should spend those hours studying or reading to get ahead of your homework. By the way, homework will no longer be accomplished within an hour. Expect four hours or more of studying, homework, and writing papers. A little forwarning is the best advice I can give to you, my procrastinating past self.

I would tell myself it would be better to live on campus from the start, so that I would not miss out on all the extra-curricular activites, clubs, and social gatherings. Living on campus would have made it so that I had one less thing to worry about. I would also tell myself to be more open and outgoing, and get to know more people.

Carl

I would say that I should have forced myself to study more and ensure enough sleep. What I did wrong my first semester was that I slacked off in exchange for a social life. I should have focused on my studies, because my GPA is what ensures me that I can have that social life. This was the mistake I made and wish I could go back and ensure I would not have messed up my GPA immediately after entering college.

Chantelle

If I could go back in time and talk to myself and give myself advice, honestly, I would say take the standarized tests and go to a state college. Honeslty, the community college I go to now is not very safe and it is hard to get all the classes to transfer. In the end I am spenind more money instead of saving like I thought I would. So I would tell myself go to a state college and take the tests. But if my otherself told me, " No, I am going to community college". I would then tell myself to learn streetsmarts and it will take longer than you thing but to keep plugging away.

TonyaLynn

“Don’t freak out! This is yourself talking to you.” “Listen up! Tonya you need to focus on high school and get better grades because you will start college in December of 2008. Yes you will be scared there are no two ways about it. Just remember to keep your head above water no matter how much distraction is around you. Dad and mom are going to get the divorce you wish for, and everything will be fine.” “Give college your all it's worth it. I could tell you that this will be a tight struggle and challenging as you will find yourself at your ultimate low living in a run-down trailer house that your kids refer to it as the rain house because the roof was gone in parts, but there is no sense in telling you this because it only gave you more ambition to do better. You graduate from college with a 3.3 GPA with all the family and friends there to watch you strut across the stage. The words that you hear matter the most “Honey, I am so proud of you.” This is what your husband says to you with your kids.

To begin with, don't worry so much about missing your high school friends. In college, you meet such a variety of people; you'll make new ones in no time at all. Your high school friends are only made based on where you live. Your college friends will be made based on who you are. You will meet people in college from other places in the world that can completely change your perspectives. When you start to worry about whether you can succeed or not, don't. Just believe in yourself and you can. You know you are smart and you know you will do well throughout your whole life. So just stop worrying about your success and worry about paying for your success. You need to apply for as many scholarships as possible. Yes, mom was right. Senior year flies by and procrastinating on the scholarships makes you miss out on a lot of opportunities. Start saving now. Lastly, don't pack so much. You really don't need that many clothes! Move in day will go by a lot faster and moving out will be a lot easier if you just leave some things at home.

Justine

If I could go back in high school and give myself advice, I would advise myself to have started looking and preparing for college sooner. I would have started in the 10th grade instead of late 11th grade. I was not able to apply to certain colleges I wanted because of my late start. Although, now, I am very proud to be going to the University of Evansville. It is an outstanding school and I am always proud to tell people that I go to the University of Evansville.

Debra

If I could go back in time to offer my high school self some advice, I would recommend taking the honors writing class instead of creative writing, and I would also advise myself to do more of my homework. I have always been a self-critic when it comes to my writing. My senior year of high school, I decided not to take the honors writing course to save myself the embarrassment. Instead, I took creative writing. Honestly, that class got me no where. My college courses are mostly wiriting intensive, so I really wish thast I had taken the class that required the same amount of writing that my college classes require now. I believe that doing all of my homwork during high school would have helped the transition to college a lot during the frist semester. I am not saying that I never did my homework, but cutting corners did not help me. In college it is essential that I do all of my homework or I would not have the best understanding of the material, and I really value getting all of the understanding that I can now because I want to be comptent in my field.

Knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition from high school, I would go back in time and advise myself to prepare for the most incredible next four years. I would tell myself to brush up on my foreign languages, because 4 of my 5 housemates are international students. I would tell myself to save up and apply for as many scholarships as possible, because textbooks, groceries, and plane tickets back home add up quite quickly. Most importantly, I would put an arm around high school senior me's shoulders and tell myself to always, always take time to appreciate the people around me. The University of Evansville is home to an amazing array of professors, staff, and students who come from every imaginable background all over the country and world. Most of all, high school me would need to know that I am truly privileged to be studying with and learning from such truly inspirational Purple Aces.

As a high school senior, I definitely would have learned better study habits. That is one of my biggest complaints. I went through high school in a breeze, never having to study. The college atmosphere is a totally different atmosphere than high school. I would prepared myself more through my writing and sciences. College is much more in-depth than high school and I never really prepared myself for what was to come. I also would work on my social skills more. In high school I had numerous friends, but they were friends that I had grown up with since kindergarten considering my graduating class was just a few students over one hundred. I didn't really know how to socialize with new people and it made the transition very difficult for me. All in all, I still feel that everything happens for a reason and I would not change anything if given the opportunity.

I would tell myself to not stress out too much. I fell in love with the campus the second I visited, there was no need to stress and worry it was the wrong school. I would also tell myself to be more involved. I was fairly involved as a senior, but I did not talk to many people. I guess I would tell myself to be more outgoing and not worry so much. Together it would have just made the transition and fear of change go away. It was not nearly as difficult as I had anticipated. I made many friends during orientation week and still talk to some two years later. The hardest transition was scheduling time to talk with my parents. So there was nothing for me to stress over in high school. I made the right choices.

If I could go back in time I would tell myself to start at a community college. Community College is much more affordable and you are able to complete a nursing degree and become a registered nurse. This way you can work full-time and save money while getting your prerequisites done. Enter in the nursing program work when and if you can and after you complete that program start working and immediately enter into a bachelors program. This plan lets you save money as your going through school. The biggest thing is to always look forward, keep to your plan and put your heart into it and that will help you through. School is the most important thing to a young person’s future and even though I lost a year when I transferred from a four year to a two year school it will not matter when I finish. I would tell myself to study as I’ve been taught and to stay on the path to graduating because it is just around the corner.

Susan Lyn

To Obtain A Full Time Position in any field of my choosing which could be any thing that comes to my mind such as Computer Aided Graphic Professional Artistry Designing - Monogramming - Contemporary Creative Professional Artistry Designing - Monogramming - Contemporary Creative Professional Antiques OLD Fashioned Jewelry Designing - Monogramming - Contemporary Creative Professional Writing - Contemporary Creative Professional Desk Top Publishing - and many others Ideas & Interests & Desires that comes to my mind. And strive for all the Greatness that you can make.

paul

Having looked back over a few years, the advice I would give myself would be to maintain discipline and and figure out what I was passionate about. During the two years of college I completed I was chasing the goal of becoming a professional musician but that desire dwindled as I delved deeper in my music studies. I decided to take a break from school to figure out what it was I wanted out of life. Since i was in high school I have done audio engineering on the side , after studying music for two years I realized that my passion really was audio engineering. Though looking back I wouldn't say I would change anything, I've met alot of great people and have had great experiences through these years. I am now pursuing a degree in audio engineering from Belmont university in Nashville, Tenessee

Audrey

I would tell myself to not go with a choice just because it is different. Look at all of the options and make lists comparing each school that is being considered. Sometimes the school that is closest and did not seem like the one you would enjoy at first turn out to be the one that is best suitable and would make you the happiest. Traveling is not fun as a college student, and it is expensive. Chose a school that is going to make coming home easy and enjoyable. Don't attend a college because all of your friends are. Going somewhere where you don't know anyone can be a challenge at first, but in the long run, the friends you make are some of the best.

Breathe. My single piece of advice for myself as a high school student about to embark on the incredible journey that is college would be to breathe. Allow myself to breathe everything in, because nothing should be taken for granted and nothing should go unnoticed. That's not to say I should treat everything like the most important thing in my life. No, that would cause too much stress and not enough experiencing. But I would tell myself to take those moments--those little moments throughout the day--to stop worrying and analyzing every detail in my head; and instead look at the world around me. Focus on the present. Take every class and throw myself into it. Give my opinions on politics, human rights, the Romantics without judging it before it comes out of my mouth. Take the pressure off to always be the best, and just take everything in. Listen to my teachers and peers and learn from them as well as my text books. If I could do it over, I would take college for everything it is: a chance to grow as a student, a future professional, an individual and a member of the human race.

Ashiel

If i could go back in time i would of made many changes. These changes could of affect me and my future. Their are many oppurtunities to look for when going to college that i missed out on. If could go back in time and talk to myself i would tell my self to stay focus. Also i would tell my self to apply for many scholarships so that paying for college wont be such a hasle. Also i would of told my self to start taking college courses as soon as possible so i can be a step ahead in my program. With these changes it would of made a big difference in my future.

Madaline

Madaline was almost done cleaning her locker. In the very bottom of everything there was a crumpled sheet of paper. The letter stated: First of all, I want to tell you to quit worrying about everything. High school’s almost over and as challenging as it is to believe: theres a life beyond this place. The truth is, in a few years you’ll hardly remember the problems of today. In a way, it’s good to remember them; use these memories as fuel and inspiration. Use every boulder thrown at you as a stepping stone. Then step back. Realize all the trepidation is worth it. Then work harder and don’t ever stop drawing. It doesn’t matter if you think your art doesn’t compare with others. Buy some sketchbooks and fill them. DO NOT EVER FEEL STUPID. I mean this for drawing, in college, and in life. You’ll realize there’s always a margin for error. That’s what being an artist means. And yes, be an animator. Don’t let your mind trick you into thinking it’s a mistake. It’s what you’re meant to do! Life is not a monster, have fun!

Do your best. Even if you feel like the work you are doing is pointless, it's not. We learn more about ourselves and what we are capable of from trying to do our best on work that we find difficult or boring than we do when we are just doing the work that we enjoy. If you work hard enough at something that you don't like, you may find that it becomes enjoyable once you truly understand it. Hard work really does pay off even when you feel like school is unending. Getting that well earned A in something you spend hours struggling with is an amazing feeling, and realizing that you have learned so many new things is an even greater experience. Just push through the hard times, the long nights up studying, the days spent struggling to understand diffucult consepts because it is all worth it in the end.