Gainesville, FL
University of Florida

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Florida

steven

Id change the system so work is required while studying..at least 10 hrs a week with pay of course. Id insist on overseas living at least 2 summers between study yrs.

All religions are present . respect This too is respected and ROTC is seen as a kind of religion.RESPECT is the key. ROTC as well is big with students going into the military AFTER college

Floridians.all. not true. half are from out of state or international.

I was in the CRIMINAL JUSTICE assoc and prelaw assoc. The net today is nationwide .

Profesors knew us by name and we met outside the walls to have some classes on the grass.

Not completely. Uf students come from the USA even california as UF beat even berkeley on SAT scores 2 years ago. grads live worldwide as i do in spain in NATIVEingles center in murcia spain.The UF network in europe is aggresive as we help eurogators get started here.

Partying is a given as we get together friday saturday to RELAX . Drugs are a no no. Beer is fine as long as you share and dont forget to study . if you goof off and just party we all go down . Lets keep our level above BERKELEY in california.

Brandon

I wish I had known how much time I would need and how much stress I would be going through once I was a fully involved student here. I also wish I knew more about the organizations on campus so I could start getting involved earlier than when I did. Other than that, I came prepared knowing what to expect as far as how amazing it would be to be a student here.

The school spirit at the University of Florida and the overall pride of being a Florida Gator are what makes this school so special. Everywhere you turn, you can tell how happy everyone is to be attending this university. It feels great to be a part of that group of students and share a common interest for sports and an active involvement on campus. The Gator Nation really is everywhere, and our university is involved in an enormous amount of projects and research worldwide. I like being part of a school that means something.

When choosing a university, I believe that the best thing to think about is the college experience that you will get out of attending school there. College is one of the last chances you have to simply be a kid, while learning the responsibilities and skills that you will need later in life. I recommend attending college away from home, as hard as it may be for some families to deal with. If you don't get that full college experience of living on your own, meeting friends, and starting fresh in a new environment, you will be asking yourself "what if?" for the rest of your life. College is what you make of it, and the more you put into it, the more you will get out of it. Choose a university that will get you involved socially and with different organizations as well. Weigh the benefits and negatives of attending a large university over a smaller, private university. This is your only chance to be a college student, and you have to choose the university that will provide you the best four years of your life.

Genevieve

Make sure you go visit the school when classes are in session so you can get the feel of the campus. Make sure you know if you want a big school and all the things that come with it : good football and large classes.

UF is very self-motivated. To get the grade, you have to do it yourself.

There are a LOT of people attending school here; if not careful, it's easy to get lost in the crowd.

Christian

Being a tough school to get into, and having rigorous courses. Being the Best in Florida not only in academics, but in extracurriculars and sports.

The most frustrating thing is that I feel that some proffessors make the courses intentionally difficult to weed out students. Sometimes i feel that the courses would be easier at another school. Especially when looking at the grades and number of students that drop these courses.

In all honesty, if a school is your dream school, find a way to go there. Money will be found if you really try for what you desire. There are scholarships, loans, or just good old fashioned hard work. If you want something, don't settle, get what you really want, it will make the experience so much better. When it comes time to visit colleges, take a tour, stay there for a day or two, observe and see if you like the environment. Make sure that wherever you want to go is a place that you feel comfortable being, especially if its away from home.

Mary

I wish I would have known the expenses of it.......college is way more expensive than it seems. There are alot of hidden costs and it would have been nice to be warned about it.

There are many factors that go into picking the best college for both the student and the parent. It depends on the personalities and financial situations of the family members. If the student is a very independent soul I would definately suggest in going out of state if so desired. I personally was deterred from going out of state due to financial restrictions. If money were not an issue I would love the experience of going farther away. Students should also look for the programs that a college offers and the reputation of those programs. Even if the student doesn't know what they want to do in life they might want to pick a school in which there are alot of highly esteemed programs available so they have alot of choices for their future. Though some parents might not want thier kids to decide a school on the social aspect I definatly think that it should factor into the decision making process. Do they want to join certain clubs, or do they want to live in a city with lots to do or a small town? Ultimately it should be up to the student to make the best decision.

A strongly dedicated person who hopes for a good future, while still having a good experience in school. This person must have a stong sense of balance to stability out thier school life and social life. If one was looking for a great experience and the chance to meet many new, and interesting people, UF would be the place for them.

Lauryn

I would tell students to choose a school where they can have the most fun. Learning is learning wherever you go, but the things you will remember are the people and the parties, not the formulas from class. 4 years is a long time to be lonely and bored. Also, pick a major that will be fun for you, as well as one with a high job potential. If you don't like doing it for 4 years, you will HATE doing it for the rest of your life!

The lack of financial aid for out of state students

Bernadette

It is rated the number one party school in the nation.

It is rated the number one party school in the nation.

The financial aid department and how they deal with the students.

Parents need to think about what is best for the development of their child. They need to put aside their thoughts of wanting to keep the child close by and focus on the right institution for them. In order to make most of the college experience, you need to be open-minded and disciplined at the same time. It is very important to create a schedule for yourself so you have a healthy balance of study time and play time.

Classes are very large. , even specialized classes for each major. Many classes are in a lecture hall, and professors don't really slow down when classes are large, so it's hard to keep up with the material and very hard to catch up if you fall behind if you don't understand something.

There is no right formula to "finding the right college"; it's really just a gut feeling. I made my decision purely on a financial basis; UF and Florida were the cheapest college, so I decided to come here. In retrospect, it wasn't the best decision and if I had to do it again I would've gone with my gut feeling and went with my first choice college in Philadelphia. Still, I definitely enjoy nearly every aspect of college life here at UF. Even if you end up deciding that the college you picked wasn't the best for you, you can still have a great college experience. Being a fan of football, it was easy for me to fall in love with UF football and the Gator football team. Every college always has something that interests you; getting involved helped me adjust and become happier as time went on. Despite UF not being my first choice school, I've still come to love it.

The sports teams at the University of Florida . Our football teams and basketball teams are top-notch, and they are a national title contender almost every year. Every other varsity sport is a contender as well. It's a great part about being part of the UF community, and it's a great part of the school spirit.

Alissa

The University of Florida is best known as a top-notch research University, especially in the field of medicine. Professors and researchers here are constantly trying to go above and beyond in a variety of advancements, not only those in medicine. I have also found over my time here, that football season is something that many students look forward to. The University of Florida can also be defined by its diverse and unique student body.

In selecting the right college and making the most of your experience, choose an institution that will dedicate back to you all that you will dedicate to it. Like anything in life, attending a univeristy is a basis for a relationship. The University provides a network of mentors, colleagues, and experiences you can only walk away with if you can provide the time to allow the relationship to flourish. I have found that by diving into my studies whole-heartedly, the knowledge I gain will prepare me for what lies ahead in my career. Attending social events on and off-campus, has created ground for bridges to be built among future leaders. By participating in club activities and supporting a cause I am passionate about, I have gained the practicality to experience the joy a difference can make. They say that "life is what you make it". So go out there and make the most of your life; but most importantly, make the most of your dreams.

Although this can also be one of the University's better qualities, the competitveness of the school makes it that much more difficult to enjoy what the University has to offer. Considering your possibilities slim, when continuing your education at the University of Florida is an outlook many students use to avoid the disappointment. The stress and pressure of constantly being at the top of your academic game can be frustrating to students who wish to pursue a career with competitive program training.

Benjamin

Most of my classmates are un focused and uninformed. The ones who do try hard completely absorb themselves in work and the ones who slack never get anything done. There are not many people who can find a comfortable balance.

The type of person who should attend this school would have to be someone who is ready to deal with jumping through some hoops. The school is very politically based and the internal politics of the school can be annoying.

When thinking about what advice I would give parents to help quide their child in selecting a school I think of location and overall goals. One thing which I personally did not take into much consideration was the location of my school. Gainesville is a small town without much more than the school and locals. I am someone who likes to explore cities and probably would have preferred a school in a larger city. I also think that parents need to help their kids focus on their overall goals in college and what they might want to do with a degree, or what type of degree they should pursue. Parents should try to take some extra time to help explore different degrees, career oportunities, and available schools. Many of my fellow students still have no idea of what they want to do and many have wasted years, and thousands of dollars, taking classes which were unecessary. I think that going to a school which is in a location you like, and can also provide you with the necessary skills for your future would make for a very happy college exprience.

University of Florida administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.