Gainesville, FL
University of Florida

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Florida

Bri

gator football is the best. a little large but you make it smaller. at the booth in turlington. it is completely a college town. administration is making stupid stupid changes for budget cuts. stupid andrew meyer. tons of school pride.

you see every race, gender, everything at UF especially in turlington. wear comfortable clothes and flip flops. UF students are from a little bit of everywhere, tons from miami area.

no professors might know faces though. exceptional people is a great class. least favorite are any taugh by foreign professors who cannot speak english and physiology. depends on the class. some people do nothing but speak intellectually and its like come on give it a rest. very competative people.

smarter than others and gators everywhere

greek is all over the place. alpha phi omega is a co-ed national service fraternity and is amazing. depends on the student. i met my closest friends through APO. 2am Tuesday = sleeping.

Alex

i'd change the counselors for some caring couselors because i feel like they don't care much about the students. They make me very frustrated. There is nothing outside of gainesville other than gainesville. i love the sports aspect, but sometimes i feel like the athletes get too much special treatment.

THe student body is one of my favorite part of gainesville. i feel like everyone can find anyone like them.

that we are ruled by the greek life

i think adademics are really good at UF especially in the program i am in. I think it will prepare me for the future and my future occupation.

i am involved on campus with activities, as well as off of campus activities, and i also have a social life. It is up to the student to balance everything.

i love UF, but the couselors are the only part i would really change. To be more caring

Laura

I believe our school is way too large. Students do not receive enough attention in class and many many classes are now online where students do not receive good student teacher interaction. I believe that students are not receiving a good education as a whole because there are too many students and we are all just a number. Many TA's teach the courses and we rarely ever see teachers. Most teachers don't care about the concerns of individual students because there are too many of us and we don't receive quality care on an individual basis. I believe the problem is just going to get worse.

We are diverse and a lot of stereotypes exist. I don't feel out of place at UF because there is a "group" for everyone but it is harder to make alot of good quality friends because there are so many of us and it is hard to keep in touch with people you meet.

It has been a good experience but I think UF is losing its quality in the education aspect.

It seems like the majority of UF students drink and do drugs which I do not agree with. Underage drinking is a big problem here as with any college campus.

I believe that people of the same ethnicity group together and cause others to associate certain stereotypes (usually negative) with these groups. I feel that UF is so diverse but there are all these little groups that comprise the student body that create both negative and positive stereotypes.

Professors don't know our name, and we barely see them. My favorite classes, regardless of the subject, have been those that have been smaller..approx 20 students or less when the teachers actually care and give us adequate attention.

Tate

The best thing about UFL is that there is a huge focus on academics, but it is also fun. I enjoy the sports and other activities that go on around campus. There are opportunities to get involved in so much. UF has definitely become a well known school, and when people find out I go here, they are always impressed.

The preachers on campus bother me. I am Christian, and I take my religion very seriously, but I do not believe in forcing it upon other people. I don't think the preachers should be allowed to be on campus. They are offensive, and I don't think it's right.

UF students are smart, and they party a lot.

Most students go to clubs and party on weekends, and while I enjoy parties, I do not drink. I wish that less people would drink and get drunk simply because it is not safe.

I feel that the class sizes at UF are too big (for sciences), and students do not get the optimal education that they can. Smaller class sizes would definitely enhance students' learning experiences. When I have a teacher that knows my name and shows that he is interested in my learning, it motivates me to do well in his class.

All stereotypes are accurate to a degree, but there are always exceptions. This holds true for Uf and their students. I do believe that most students at UF are very intelligent, and Gainesville is a "party" city. However, there are definitely exceptions.

Angie

My school is very large and it can be overwhelming at times as to whether or not you'll be noticed. The students work very hard and are almost always involved in multiple activities and extracurriculars. I believe that it takes this kind of hard-work and well roundedness for a person to survive in the real world. However, one thing I would change is the number of international or diversity courses that are offered here. I would like to increase this number and also increase the pay for teachers and lower the cost for students. This would be ideal but highly improbable. I spend most of my time on campus in the library. Gainesville is definitely a college town. UFL's administration is lacking in proper budgeting and is not putting enough money to support liberal arts majors such as history. The biggest recent controversy on campus was the pro-life anti-abortion activists who were protesting against abortion with large graphic images displayed in UF's main plaza. There is definitely a lot of school pride as many students see UF's football team in particular as being above average lending the name of "title town USA" to this small city of Gainesville. One experience I will always remember is the great fun and new found freedom I found living with, albeit cramped living conditions, 2 roommates my freshman year. The most frequent student complaints are directed towards the lack of adequate parking spaces on campus.

I don't believe that anyone could feel out of place here there is so much diversity, racially, sexually, religiously, etc. that anyone can find their own niche where they can fit in. It would be almost impossible not to. Most students wear gym clothes or other worse for the wear clothing because most students here don't really care too much about appearances. Of course there are certain factions of the student body that do care, such as those who are part of a sorority or fraternity on campus. But most don't care about what they look like when they are going to class or studying. The financial background that I see is most prevalent would have to range from working class to middle to upper middle class.

Some stereotypes are that we are a big party school and I find that it is very true, but there are many that can party and still get there schoolwork done. They prove that work and play can be combined. I, for one, cannot do both and must separate my time at school as just work, and my time in the summer as mostly play.

Professors sometimes surprise me when they actually know my name. My favorite class this semester was 19th Century European History I also liked my intermediate Spanish classes. My least favorite classes were calculus and chemistry that I took spring semester last year, of course I dropped both of them. UF students most definitely have intellectual conversations outside of class, many times I talk about politics, history, and other social topics of intellectual interest. Students here are also definitely very competitive as they strive hard to build their resumes and make applications to grad, law, and medical schools stand out from the rest.

Popular groups on campus usually center on student government, majors or pre-professional such as lawyer, doctor, dental, teacher, or a minority organization. They are involved in various activities such as raising money for various charities, helping out in the community, and basically being involved and getting to know people on campus. I am involved with Alpha Phi Omega a co-ed service fraternity that volunteers with the Girl Scouts and other service projects in Gainesville. Students in dorms don't usually leave their dorms open. Athletic events are HIGHLY popularized. I mean, we are known as "Titletown, USA" because of our back to back basketball championship wins and our Football BCS championship around the same time. I met my closest friends randomly and we've been close ever since. I also met a lot of my friends through my roommates last year and other friends through some classes. People party pretty often in Gainesville. The good thing about it is that the temptation to stay out ALL night is eliminated because clubs and other spots close early, like around 2 in the morning. On a Tuesday if I happen to be awake at 2am it's definitely because I am on facebook. Facebook is an addictive habit for me. On a Saturday night instead of drinking I usually either watch a movie at the Reitz Union where they feature free movies, or go over a friend's house to watch a movie. Lately I've also been going to the gym on Saturday nights and then just going on my computer to check Facebook, hahaha.

Like I explained in the question above, yes, they are fairly accurate.

I think that I basically summed it all up. Gainesville is not the greatest place to be in my opinion but I've gotten used to it and I seem to be keeping out of trouble and being focused on my studies so that's a plus I guess. I love going to the mall to shop, hanging out with friends, watching movies, and being involved in Alpha Phi Omega!!

Rich

UF is a perfect size. As the second largest school sure there are lots of students but it creates the opportunity to meet lots of different eclectic people. The only thing that should be changed is the parking situation. Freshmen shouldn't be allowed to park on campus. This would allow more parking for upper division students. The bus system is agreat. Gainesville is totally a college town it thrives on the uiniversity and in the summer the economy as well as the population will plummit. The most recent controversy would be the breaking of our National Championship Trophy. There is tons of school pride. No matter where you go you will see something gators in the town of Gainesville. Ont thing i will alaways remember is going to my first gator football game and seeing a sea of orange and blue swarming into the stadium and being part of the student body and experiencing the energy in the swamp! The most frequent student complaints are about parking and getting tickets on their bikes.

Uf's student body is very diverse. Thier is an outlet for everyone and anyone to feel like they are part of some group. No student would feel out of place. Some people dress nice to classes but mostly its either shorts tshirt and sandals or pjamas. Uf students are from all over the USA.

Not totally. Yes gators are rowdy on gamedays but they are very responsible with their drinking habits

Fraternities and sorrorities are two popular organizations that try and control student government. Athletic events are to die for especially football and basketball. There is a great diverse theatre season ever semester. The students choose which guest speakers that accent will bring in. They havent gone wrong.. Partying is something huge here. You can find a party on every single night of the week. If you don't want to drink on a saturday night you can goto clubs and dance.

Academics vary at uf depending on the class size. A typical chemistry class can range from 100-250 but will break out into discussion classes of 30. Students are always studying at Library west i don't think thier has been one time when i went there and the library was empty. Uf students tend to converse about intellectual things every day. We are a research university so people are always talking and using terms that apply to their subjects of research. Students are very competitive. Everyone is trying to be on top as they should. The most unique class that i took was Cultural Diversity in The USA. I am a BFA Production design major through the school of theatre and dance. I have not spent time with any of my professors outside of classes. UFs academic requirements are a good standard and should remain as they are. Uf's education i feel is geared towarrds both getting a job and learning for its own sake it really depends on the class.

Gators drink and party wayyyyy too much

Stefanie

The best thing about UF is the athletics. Football season is the best time of the year. People tailgate, cheer, and it's a great time. The stadium fills with orange and blue and it's so much fun. UF is just right size wise. The population of 50,000 can be intimidating at times, but it's worth it in the end.

I have had many experiences with different racial and ethnic backgrounds. No students should or would feel out of place. There are many different social and club aspects of all different backgrounds so everyone can find their own niche. Most financial backgrounds are upper class and above average. Most students are aware, some are active, and UFL is very liberal.

Greeks, rich kids, international, nerds

I'm involved with Alpha Phi Omega. We do over 2,000 hours of community service each semester. Students in dorms lock their doors. Athletic events are extremely popular and the entire student body gets involved and really participates. If you are awake at 2AM on a Tuesday you are either studying or out at a bar. People party pretty often. Off campus activities shopping, movies, and hanging out at parks.

Professors know my name and classes can be large or small depending on what level they are. Class participation is very common and our professors love to see us interact in classes. I do not spend time with my professors outside of class. UFL is definitely geared towards getting a job and expanding the Gator Nation.

GO GATORS. Our school is absolutely fantastic. I love being a GATOR!!!!!

Whitney

One thing I have done: been a First Year Florida teacher. People react proudly when I tell them I got to UF. The biggest controversy on campus has been the tasering incident.

From teaching First Year Florida, I have had interactions with all types of students and students of different races and backgrounds. All students pretty much interact. Most UF students are from South Florida. Most financial backgrounds are above average to wealthy. Most students are liberal.

Greek organizations are the most popular on campus. Athletic events and football games are extremely popular. I met my closest friends through organizations that I have been involved in. Last weekend I went home. On a Saturday night you can watch a play or go to a movie. Off campus I go drinking, shopping, etc.

Professors do know my name. My classes are relatively small which is awesome. The most unique class I have taken has been Human Sexuality Education. Students are very competitive. I do not spend time with my professors outside of class.

UF is a great school. If you work hard and take challenging classes, you can recieve a grade A education here. There are some absolutely amazing professors, a TON of things to do for student involvement, and, if you look for it, students who truly want to make great changes in our society.

UF could really use a boost in the diversity department, but I guess it is trying. I'm amazed at how many students are taken care of financially by their parents--serisouly who drives a beamer in college?

Every stereotype has some small kernal of truth behind it. Besides, we really are just better, right? ;)

Academics at UF vary greatly depending on your program. As a student in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, I must say that it is sad how our college is in so much debt and it is the students and teachers who are suffering the most. Other than that, I would say I have taken some classes that were wonderfully challenging and incredibly informative, but I have also wasted a lot of time in classes which were being taught at a high school level--powerpoint, open book quizzes, online tests, etc.

Obviously the football games are where its at.

University of Florida administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.