Gainesville, FL
University of Florida

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Florida

Whitney

One thing I have done: been a First Year Florida teacher. People react proudly when I tell them I got to UF. The biggest controversy on campus has been the tasering incident.

From teaching First Year Florida, I have had interactions with all types of students and students of different races and backgrounds. All students pretty much interact. Most UF students are from South Florida. Most financial backgrounds are above average to wealthy. Most students are liberal.

Greek organizations are the most popular on campus. Athletic events and football games are extremely popular. I met my closest friends through organizations that I have been involved in. Last weekend I went home. On a Saturday night you can watch a play or go to a movie. Off campus I go drinking, shopping, etc.

Professors do know my name. My classes are relatively small which is awesome. The most unique class I have taken has been Human Sexuality Education. Students are very competitive. I do not spend time with my professors outside of class.

UF is a great school. If you work hard and take challenging classes, you can recieve a grade A education here. There are some absolutely amazing professors, a TON of things to do for student involvement, and, if you look for it, students who truly want to make great changes in our society.

UF could really use a boost in the diversity department, but I guess it is trying. I'm amazed at how many students are taken care of financially by their parents--serisouly who drives a beamer in college?

Every stereotype has some small kernal of truth behind it. Besides, we really are just better, right? ;)

Academics at UF vary greatly depending on your program. As a student in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, I must say that it is sad how our college is in so much debt and it is the students and teachers who are suffering the most. Other than that, I would say I have taken some classes that were wonderfully challenging and incredibly informative, but I have also wasted a lot of time in classes which were being taught at a high school level--powerpoint, open book quizzes, online tests, etc.

Obviously the football games are where its at.

Alex

UF is a great school and campus, and Gainesville is a great location for the average college student. For people who enjoy sports, there is no greater school, because our varsity level athletics are among the best in the country in every sport, and the intramural and club sports have every type of activity one could want to participate in. UF also has a great social life, with things that anyone can enjoy, from movies and theater, to dancing and clubs. The level of school pride is outstanding, and the students are friendly.

The student body at UF is vast and diverse, both in terms of racial and economic backgrounds. Almost anyone can fit in at UF, as just about every different type of person is accepted at UF. Although many people here hold there opinions very closely, there are others who speak them quite freely, so UF is a great place for someone with an open mind.

A lot of people think UF students wear jean shorts. We are alsotypically cast as heavy drinkers.

The social life at UF is fantastic, with options that anyone can enjoy. Many people like to go downtown on the weekends for the nightlife, while others prefer to go to university- or student-sponsored events. UF has a great intramural sports system, as well as many extracurricular organizations, such as social fraternities/sororities, as well as honor societies. UF gives students a great opportunity to meet new people, whether through classes, the dormitories, or social events. One of the best activities on campus is the football games during the fall. UF football is a great tradition that has been around for over 100 years. Students and alumni alike flock to the UF football stadium, better known as the Swamp, to support their team, and their ardor has earned UF recognition as one of the hardest places for an opposing team to play.

Although the entry-level courses are usually fairly crowded, due to the large number of students on campus, the sophomore-level and higher courses are usually much smaller and more manageable. The courses encourage student participation for the most part,and urge students to expand their minds. Although classes are demanding, I believe it pushes the students to excel.

The shorts part is not, but the drinking part is.

Jerry

The best thing about UFL is the full on college experience. UFL is quite large as a campus and student body. If I could change anything it would probably be to have a smaller student body. People either think It's great that I left Miami to come to UFL but of course alot of people are UM fans back home and think I should have gone there instead. On campus I spend most of my time in my dorm, I prefer to study there than in the library. If I'm not in my dorm I'm either in class or at the information on campus that is run by Alpha Phi Omega, a fraternity that I am a part of. Gainesville is without a doubt a college town. Coming from a big city, I can't imagine living here if I were not going to UFL. Everything in the surrounding area of campus is geared toward college students. Students at UFL have pride 24/7. Even when it's not a game day you'll always find people walking around campus in gator gear.

Although UFL is filled predominatly with caucasion students from middle to upper class back grounds, there is alot of diversity too. I've met people from many different racial backgrounds and religious ones too. In Highschool there was only one jewish person in a student body of over 4000 students and now, half the people I know at UFL are jewish. I don't think any kind student would feel left out here since the student body is so diverse. With over 700 clubs and organizations there has to be atleast one place where every student will fit in. Most UFL students are from somewhere in Florida but there are out of state and out of country UFL students too. Students are politically aware and you can see alot of campaigning going on on campus during election time. Based on campaigning I'd say that the majority of students are either on the left or center, but there could be alot of people on the right, but they just don't campaign.

I'm involved in Alpha Phi Omega which is a Co-Ed Service Fraternity so I complete alot of differernt kinds of service for the community and campus. I'm also a member of Model United Nations and I've made a few trips to compete at MUN conferances. Students in my dorm don't usually leave their doors open, but the RA sometimes will when she's in. Athletic events are extreamly popular especially football and basketball games. However, other sports also have a large fan base. Gator Growl is a huge tradition that takes place in the fall semester the day after homecoming. Fraternities and Sororities are a big part of campus life.

Although students like to party, it's not a big time party school. Most students are big sports fans and getting tickets to football and basketball games is a privilage. The greek system doesn't run SG but they are a majority part in it.

Since I've only completed two semesters at UFL most of the classes that I've taken are in big lecture halls with up 650 other students. In classes that big it's impossible for a professor to know your name. However, in the small classes I've taken, such as the two english courses and the First Year Florida class Professors did know me by name. My favorite class so far has been ENC1102 because my professor required creativity in his students. He geared the class more towards writing for a major, which I feel is important, compared to writing in general. I was required to write a research paper, dealing with my major, of my choice. My least favorite class was First Year Florida, I didn't find the information given in class helpful and it was alot of work outside of class for one credit hour. Class participation is common especially in smaller classes, but some participation can be seen in the other larger classes as well. It's actually surprising to see that students commonly do have intellectual conversations outside of class. I've found that students are personally ambitious and want to succeed but not neccessarily competitive as in wanting to be better than someone else. I'm a political science and I've taken two classes offered by the department so far and I really enjoyed them both. The CLAS has reasonable requirements for Poltical Science majors. However, I would prefer to not have to take so many science courses because when you add the two bilogical and two physical sciences plus a lab you end up with 13 science credits that just feel like a waste of time. The classes I've taken so far seem to be geared more towards actually learning and not focused on getting a job, although some of the things learned could be transfered into the workforce.

UFL is said to be a "party school". UFL students are huge sports fans. The greek system at UFL runs SG.

Chelsea

The best thing about UF is the variety of people and events. Uf has all types of students and everyone will find a group that they like. there is so much variety in the events that take place on the UF campus. There is always free food, concerts, speakers, and parties.

There is many diverse groups on campus. All diverse groups are accepting and are respectful of others oppinions. The groups interact in multicultural fairs as well as events such as dance offs and philanthrophies. Most students dress casually to class. Jeans and t-shirts and flip-flops are a staple. Also, orange and blue clothing is always a great thing to wear around the UF campus and to class. We have a lot of school spirit.

Stereotypes about UF students is that we only care about sports. Also, students at other schools think we are stuck up. Another stereotype is that we party all the time and never do work.

There is a huge number of student groups on campus. There is a club for every imaginable hobby or group. Many of them have parties, dances, performances, and speakers which are enjoyable activities to go to that do not involve alcohol. Students in dorms do leave their doors open while they are there. Many people bond with and make close friends with the other students on their floor.

Professors at UF are very personable. They welcome students to come ask them questions, especially during the teachers office hours. Class participation is common in small classes, lecture classes usually do not have an attendance policy. UF students are intellectual and competitive. They participate in acedemic conversations and competitions in addition to their classes.

These stereotypes are all false. There are many students that do not care at all about sports, and all students take their acedemics seriously. There are very warm and caring individuals that go to this school, and

I am very glad I decided to go to UF. It was the best decision I have ever made!

Chris

UF is big. It's easy to feel lost when you're dropped in the middle of everything as a lonely freshman. But you'll quickly release that the size of the university can be a boon too - with so many people here, you're bound to find people and activities that you identify with. Most of the academic programs are very good too - and the sports program needs no introduction.

UF's student body is diverse. You'll find people of pretty much all dispositions, beliefs, races, and so on. Again though, the experience you have is almost solely based on who you choose to spend time with.

Big partiers Obsessed with football Sports over academics

I'm filling out this survey on behalf of Alpha Phi Omega.

All of those can be true to some extent, but you can easily find a niche here that defies every one of those stereotypes and be happy.

I've been satisfied with my classes at UF. As you go deeper into you major, classes tend to get better - class sizes get smaller, professors get more enthusiastic, and the coursework more closely matches what you're interested in. So much of the academic environment depends on your major - as a Computer Engineering student, classes are very project based. I spend a lot of time with group members in the computer lab, slaving away before the next big due date. But if you enjoy the subject matter, you'll enjoy the work.

I'm a member of Alpha Phi Omega, a co-ed service fraternity, and Tau Beta Pi, an engineering honor society. Neither are greek, despite the names. Both of these organizations have enriched my life greatly, giving my life variety and depth. Personally, I hate the stereotypical college routine of weekends dominated by partying and drinking, and weeks of half-hearted studying. Though such routines are common, UF has provided me with other ways to spend my time - service projects and fraternity socials, free recent movies every weekend, great restaurants, and plenty of engineering work to sink my teeth into.

nikki

the campus is very pretty. parking is awful, i'd definately change that. maybe even live on campus if it was different. it's really big campus, like a small town or something. gainesvilles a pretty hick city. people are impressed when i say i'm going to uf i've heard it's really hard to get in.

it's pretty diverse here. alot more than at my high school.

i've had one or two small classes which are pretty awesome the teachers actually care about their classes. in the big lecture classes you generally just get screwed over by the teachers. sometimes we talk about stuff from classes.

don't really know about alot of clubs and stuff on campus other than there's a whole lot of them...if you have the time. mythbusters came one time, they were pretty cool. it seems like fraternites/sororites run student goverment. student governement doesnt really to do anything except SNAP. there's stuff to do on saturday nights that doesn't involve drinking but most people either do nothing or drink it's kinda dumb

the parking situation is ugly. the administration doesn't seem to care much about education only football, which is overrated.

I've heard UF is a party school, alot of drinking going on and all.

Monique

well, the campus here is definately large and it's kinda difficult to get to know people unless you really extend some effort or join some kind of organization. the campus is very large it's like a small town. gainesville is basically a tiny rural town with a big college droped in the middle. i don't think there would be much of gainesville with out the college. the asthetiques are pretty nice. the old parts of campus are pretty charming and there's plenty of green space. living on campus would be really nice if it weren't for some of the stupid things that uf does. like the whole parking situation, general lack of service in various things on the weekends, etc. generally getting stuff done like paperwork in stuff is kinda annoying--you get a run around unless you can find the exact person you need to see which is rather difficult. alot of stuff is very expensive here too especially fines for stuff.

uf is pretty diverse. it's really difficult to sterotype them other than the "college student sterotype". there seems to be quite a bit of interaction between different types of students. seems to be alot of rich kids though. alot of students are pretty politically aware. it seems like a lot of students are left in their political views but i don't know if they actually act on them.

I've heard that some people say UF students are hicks. Another sterotype I've heard is that UF student are rich or that they drink ALOT.

Um about the hicks--no very few people actually are anything close to that sterotypes. The rich sterotype kinda varies in certain areas you get more than others. The drunk-party school sterotype seems pretty acurate though i haven't really been to alot of campuses to compare.

well just for an airing of grievances: the physical plant people need to be alot more careful when their driving around DOWN THE SIDEWALKS, the BICYCLES are not vehicles!!!--no one else in florida enforces that law!!!, and living on campus during football season if AWFUL. people need to care less about football and more about academics!!!

I don't really know alot about UF activities other than Alpha Phi Omega and oh i forgot the name of this other club that is like impromtu comedy. It' pretty cool, i went to see one of their shows, i have a friend in my dorm that part of the troupe. hm yeah there's some cool events that go one like mythbusters event and some of the speakers that come. people party like all the time. there's definately stuff that goes on with out drinking but not very many people do it and it's not in really large groups. i don't really know a whole lot about traditions that i haven't been around enough really to find them.

yeah some of my profs know my name but not all of them. large gen ed class really annoying. there's always tons of people at the teachers not long enough office hours. the teachers are way less involved in their class and don't seem very in touch with the actual progress of their student i.e. doing something different if everyone is failing. people generally come to class alot unless you have a really awful teacher. some of the teachers and especially the TA's have accents that make them really hard to understand, i mean okay a little bit of an accent is fine but still when you can no longer understand what they say, like at all! that's not right. students study quite a bit it seems alot more than teachers give credit for sometimes. yeah i have intellectual converstations with my friends. its pretty cool if you get different majors in conversations about something

Alex

It's a huge campus! I come from a small town, so being on a campus with 50,000 other students is insane! I love the pride that everyone shares! Everyone is orange and blue. Going to a football game or basketball game is amazing, but it is not who we are. Many students are intelligent. There are so many majors to choose from. Everyone is really nice and friendly. I love it here.

Most of UFL's student body is from florida. However, I am not. I come from New York, and I am proud of that. However, I love being apart of gator nation! Florida is very diverse. I have friends from different backgrounds and cultures, and I love it!

We're all the rich snobs of florida. All we can do is play football and basketball.

I love social life at UF. Since I'm a non drinker, I love to just hang in my dorm room and chill out with all the girls on my floor. I also am involved in a co-ed fraternity. I love everyone in it! Gator nights is also amazing. Every friday night, they show a movie in the Student Union, and we get free popcorn and soda. Sometimes, they have magicians and comedians. I love UF!

Students are competitive, but not to the extreme. There are way too many kids here to be the best. Kids do study a lot, however, they do have some down time to just hang out with their friends. I do go to my professor's office hours if I feel the need to. I do like to participate in class. I love having big class sizes!

University of Florida administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.