Gainesville, FL
University of Florida

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Florida

nikki

the campus is very pretty. parking is awful, i'd definately change that. maybe even live on campus if it was different. it's really big campus, like a small town or something. gainesvilles a pretty hick city. people are impressed when i say i'm going to uf i've heard it's really hard to get in.

it's pretty diverse here. alot more than at my high school.

i've had one or two small classes which are pretty awesome the teachers actually care about their classes. in the big lecture classes you generally just get screwed over by the teachers. sometimes we talk about stuff from classes.

don't really know about alot of clubs and stuff on campus other than there's a whole lot of them...if you have the time. mythbusters came one time, they were pretty cool. it seems like fraternites/sororites run student goverment. student governement doesnt really to do anything except SNAP. there's stuff to do on saturday nights that doesn't involve drinking but most people either do nothing or drink it's kinda dumb

the parking situation is ugly. the administration doesn't seem to care much about education only football, which is overrated.

I've heard UF is a party school, alot of drinking going on and all.

Monique

well, the campus here is definately large and it's kinda difficult to get to know people unless you really extend some effort or join some kind of organization. the campus is very large it's like a small town. gainesville is basically a tiny rural town with a big college droped in the middle. i don't think there would be much of gainesville with out the college. the asthetiques are pretty nice. the old parts of campus are pretty charming and there's plenty of green space. living on campus would be really nice if it weren't for some of the stupid things that uf does. like the whole parking situation, general lack of service in various things on the weekends, etc. generally getting stuff done like paperwork in stuff is kinda annoying--you get a run around unless you can find the exact person you need to see which is rather difficult. alot of stuff is very expensive here too especially fines for stuff.

uf is pretty diverse. it's really difficult to sterotype them other than the "college student sterotype". there seems to be quite a bit of interaction between different types of students. seems to be alot of rich kids though. alot of students are pretty politically aware. it seems like a lot of students are left in their political views but i don't know if they actually act on them.

I've heard that some people say UF students are hicks. Another sterotype I've heard is that UF student are rich or that they drink ALOT.

Um about the hicks--no very few people actually are anything close to that sterotypes. The rich sterotype kinda varies in certain areas you get more than others. The drunk-party school sterotype seems pretty acurate though i haven't really been to alot of campuses to compare.

well just for an airing of grievances: the physical plant people need to be alot more careful when their driving around DOWN THE SIDEWALKS, the BICYCLES are not vehicles!!!--no one else in florida enforces that law!!!, and living on campus during football season if AWFUL. people need to care less about football and more about academics!!!

I don't really know alot about UF activities other than Alpha Phi Omega and oh i forgot the name of this other club that is like impromtu comedy. It' pretty cool, i went to see one of their shows, i have a friend in my dorm that part of the troupe. hm yeah there's some cool events that go one like mythbusters event and some of the speakers that come. people party like all the time. there's definately stuff that goes on with out drinking but not very many people do it and it's not in really large groups. i don't really know a whole lot about traditions that i haven't been around enough really to find them.

yeah some of my profs know my name but not all of them. large gen ed class really annoying. there's always tons of people at the teachers not long enough office hours. the teachers are way less involved in their class and don't seem very in touch with the actual progress of their student i.e. doing something different if everyone is failing. people generally come to class alot unless you have a really awful teacher. some of the teachers and especially the TA's have accents that make them really hard to understand, i mean okay a little bit of an accent is fine but still when you can no longer understand what they say, like at all! that's not right. students study quite a bit it seems alot more than teachers give credit for sometimes. yeah i have intellectual converstations with my friends. its pretty cool if you get different majors in conversations about something

Alex

It's a huge campus! I come from a small town, so being on a campus with 50,000 other students is insane! I love the pride that everyone shares! Everyone is orange and blue. Going to a football game or basketball game is amazing, but it is not who we are. Many students are intelligent. There are so many majors to choose from. Everyone is really nice and friendly. I love it here.

Most of UFL's student body is from florida. However, I am not. I come from New York, and I am proud of that. However, I love being apart of gator nation! Florida is very diverse. I have friends from different backgrounds and cultures, and I love it!

We're all the rich snobs of florida. All we can do is play football and basketball.

I love social life at UF. Since I'm a non drinker, I love to just hang in my dorm room and chill out with all the girls on my floor. I also am involved in a co-ed fraternity. I love everyone in it! Gator nights is also amazing. Every friday night, they show a movie in the Student Union, and we get free popcorn and soda. Sometimes, they have magicians and comedians. I love UF!

Students are competitive, but not to the extreme. There are way too many kids here to be the best. Kids do study a lot, however, they do have some down time to just hang out with their friends. I do go to my professor's office hours if I feel the need to. I do like to participate in class. I love having big class sizes!

Andy

UF is a large school, but it's a comfortable size. You're free to do your own thing and find people just like you. When I tell people I go to UF, they usually look impressed. The school pride is amazing, and I love the spirit that floats around during game season. I usually spend most of my time at the Reitz, Library West, or hanging around University Avenue checking out all the restaurants/stores. I will always remember the National Basketball Championship and the BCS National Championship game at the O-Dome with all my fellow gator fans. Complaints...I'd say that the fraternities and sororities can get a little out of hand. Other than those kids, UF would practically be perfect.

I would say that the integration of groups is pretty well blended. There should be more diversity, and kids should feel free to share their backgrounds. One major complaint are the preachers in Turlington. There are a blend of religions at this school, and those rude people are shouting at kids that they're going to hell for this and that. It is extremely inappropriate and disrespectful. Most kids wear school colors to class. Some wear the clothing that everyone in their group wears. Most kids are either from Miami or Orlando. Rarely do I ever run into someone who's from NW Florida, too. Most kids are middle/upper class. Almost everyone is aware of political events/positions. The school in general is liberal. I don't hear kids talking about their potential incomes that much. They usually talk about how much they like a particular field.

I love UF and couldn't possibly conceive of being anywhere else. :)

The academics are great for the most part. I usually take all psychology, sociology, and gender studies classes. My teachers are really good about getting to know students' names. There are a lot of in-class discussions, and kids always volunteer information. From what I've seen, the kids take studying seriously. A joke floats around that you know you're at UF when you walk by kids in a conversation and overhear them talking about their lectures, their tests, and their fields instead of boys/girls, partying, etc. I would say that UF is geared toward teaching you how to get a job, but also learn about the world. It's not just one or the other.

I would say political, religious, and greek groups are most prevalent. Students do NOT leave their dorms open. The security, in my opinion, is a little shaky. Kids will steal. And some might do worse. Athletic events, guest speakers, and theater get a large turnout. Sometimes people can get a little crazy over the athletics. The dating scene can be pretty interesting. There are so many opportunities to meet people here. If I'm awake at 2am on a Tuesday, I'm most likely with friends at my apartment, doing random stuff. Kids party a lot. No need to go into detail. Fraternities and sororities are pretty important. Not all of them are good, but they're all important. The only things we can do on a Saturday night that doesn't involve drinking are watching movies, going to restaurants, and playing games at people's apartments. Which is a lot of fun. I'm involved with Alpha Phi Omega. We are a co-ed service fraternity. And, not to be biased, but I would say our group has the best purpose out of all other groups. We focus on serving other people and the community instead of ourselves. We bond over projects and fellowships. I would say that joining APhiO was the best decision of my college career.

UF is a smart/party school. The kids know how to have fun in style

Amy

The University of Florida has over 50,000 students attending and I feel that as long as there are enough classes to maintain a cohesive learning environment, then the more the merrier. I love the University of Florida and have wanted to be a student here since I was 7. My parents are both alumni and brought my brothers and I to the football games yearly. I have wanted to become a Pharmacist since high school and have overly pursued that goal. I am already a graduate student in the Doctorate of Pharmacy program after just 2 years of undergraduate study. I believe that being goal driven has made my college career more positive.

UF has a nice mix of every race, religion and sexual preference. I feel that all of these students are well accepted by others and have found their niche in Gainesville. There are specific clubs that certain groups frequent, including gay clubs and the indie nights hosted by other venues. Everyone eventually finds their place in a group of friends and those people can differ significantly.

Many stereotypes stem from inaccurate knowledge about students who attend this university. I've heard people criticize other individuals for not being on the same level academically as they are. This university takes students from many differing backgrounds who have many different goals. Accusing someone of not being as smart as you because they are specializing in a different field is absurd. Another stereotype is that everyone completed the same high school classes prior to entering this university. Many individuals did not complete IB or AP classes, and holding that against them is wrong. Finally, assuming that everyone in college is in the same age group is false. Like I said before there are many different backgrounds to the individuals who attend UF. The age range is anywhere from the teens to the early thirties or older. When you get into graduate school, there are individuals who have already entered the work force once and have come back for a different field. They might have an established family or have come from a community college.

I know all of my professors by name, and have talked with them frequently as I am a graduate student. Communication is key and having that open line between student and faculty is important the higher up you go in education. As a graduate student, I have learned that everyone is competitive, since there is limited room for error and limited spots for advancement. I study daily and continuously am working towards bettering my grades. Many of my friends in other majors do the same, and we frequently discuss what we are learning in our different classes.

There is a lot of involvement from the student body in Greek Fraternities and Sororities. likewise, special interest groups have a large following. There are different groups that study intensely all the time and you can find them in the library, and there are those who frequent the down town scene. It depends on your study habits and what your goals are as to what you are capable of doing as a leisure activity. As a freshman we lived in a very friendly dorm where everyone left their doors open and we were all friends. That same atmosphere carried on into our apartments as our entire floor is friends and we frequently walk into each other's places without prior notice. It all depends on your friends group.

Drama happens, no matter who you are or what organization you are involved in. Make the most out of your experience...you have to grow up when it's over.

Some stereotypes may be accurate; however, the majority are not.

Jenn

It's a pretty big school, and it's easy to be just a number, completely unknown to your professors. Both of my majors were pretty big (Psychology and English). Even upper division classes were pretty big, with about 40 students per section. If you're not the type of person to seek out one-on-one interaction, conceivably none of your professors could know you.

I can't imagine a student feeling out of place at UF. I think every racial, SES, political, religious, and ethnic minority is decently represented. The Greek system is pretty active, but there are plenty who aren't in a frat or sorority. It seems like the biggest geographic region that sends students to UF is Miami/Ft. Lauderdale/Coral Springs. But since those areas are pretty diverse, too-- lots of Cubans, Puerto Ricans, and Jews, yes, but also lots of non-Hispanic immigrants, too, and a surprising contingent of rednecks. (I blame Redwood). Compared to other schools I've been to (Small liberal arts in the Deep South), UF has more cross-clique interaction, more diversity, and the students are less materialistic. Political viewpoints well-represented, but generally pretty liberal.

There's certainly plenty of drinking and football, but there's a lot more to the school. Not everyone is there to party, and there's plenty other than partying that goes on.

UF is not a dorm-focused campus. People may start out in the dorms, but generally get an apartment as of 2nd year. I did freshman year in dorms, then apartment for one year, then lived in a house for the last half of undergrad + master's degree.

Football games! I was in a community service fraternity, which was very different from the typical Greek orgs. I met most of my closest friends through that. Less partying than most frat/sor. There's plenty to do, both in the area and through the school. Accent brings in great speakers; there are almost always performances or exhibitions going on. All students can use Lake Wauberg, which has swimming, beach, sailing, rock climbing, picnic activities, etc. One of my favorite things on campus was the free performances Theater Strike Force (improv troupe) did in Turlington plaza midday. Not associated with the University, the springs are nearby, and you can get to the beach in 70-90 minutes. Gainesville is very conducive to outdoor activities (except for August, when it's too hot to move).

The degree programs are pretty flexible. For english, you just have to take 10 upper division classes. For psychology, you have to take a few out of different categories, but it's still open to exploring within the subject matter. In that sense, it's great for people who can deal with a lack of structure. However, you have to be a self-starter. There's no one to hold your hand or make sure you're on track. And academic advising is a joke. The CLAS advising department can't give substantive advice because they can't get to know students on an individual level. You'll get better advice out of a department professor you have a decent relationship with, or websites that give candid advice about the usefulness of different classes. But that's all geared toward upperclassmen. When you first come in, overwhelmed with information and unfamiliar with the catalog, there's really no guidance or suggestions. (And I was in the honors program, that purports to have more tailored advising.) For example, they push students that did well on the math section of the SAT into CHM 2045, rather than 2040 or 2041, without regard to chemistry ability. They need better guidelines (like a placement exam for science, not math) before they push students into classes they aren't prepared for.

That it's a party school, and the students are there just to drink and watch football.

alexis

It's great to be a florida gator! i adore living in a college town even if traffic is undearable sometimes. while on capus, i can usually be found at the aphio info booth in turlington or in class. i find UF's architecture to be aesthetically pleasing but hated the size of campus when i was a freshman. the dorms are tiny but i loved broward. public transportation is amazing here! (there is no public transportation where i'm from) most people resond favorably and even impressed when i tell them i go to UF. game day is my favorite. I look forward to saturdays in the fall all year. school pride on gamedays is inescapable! cries of 'go gators!' can be heard echoing throughout campus during football season. my best friend, who hated all sports when we started here, is now the biggest gator fan! he goes to athletic events all year ranging from football to gymnastics. its awesome. in general, i love everything about Uf from its student body to its sprawling campus, UF is the place to be.

the great thing about UF is that its pretty culturally diverse (even if the rest of gainesville and alachua county isnt) and i think most people would feel comfortable here. academic prowess and SAT scores seem to be more stratifying factors that skin color. the student body is so large that anyone could find a niche here. being the flagship university of the state means that we get a lot of money and i think a lot of students may benefit from that though scholarships and stuff. going to school in florida is so cheap so even if you come from a poorer background, you can probably afford live in gainesville. living costs in gainesville are less than many other locations in florida and that also adds to the affordability of attending UF. the activist student population seems pretty, well, active. there is always a petition or protest especially behing the reitz.

The students at UFl think they are smarter than students at other schools, that UFL is better than all other state schools, students are generally stuck up, we party too much, we smoke a lot of weed, UFL nurtures intellectualism and diversity, graduates have promising futures, the greek system runs the school and the most elite honor societies...

living at UF gives students a quintessential college experience. from the community feel in dorms to gator game days to 24-hour pizza delivery, there is always something going on to make students feel comfortable. the accent speakers bureau seems pretty popular lately and the bars always are. greek life seems pretty prominent. they are active even if they only represent a minority. personally, i was sad when sorority bid day (and the subsequent running of the bulls) was no longer covered by the alligator. that was one of my favorite fall traditions! if social greek life is not your cup of tea but you want that fraternal feel to your organization, there are many non social greek orgs like alpha phi omega national co ed service fraterenity (haha i had to plug my frat, sorry!) in general, there is always something to do at UF no matter what time of day or night.

i think i agree with most of them. I do disagree that our students are mostly stuck up, though i have run into a few during my tenure here. I certainly feel that even though the greek system only represents like 20% of the population they seem over represented in sga and many honor societies (blue key, etc)

lower division classes are huge and the professors never know anyone's name. When i took statistics 2, the TA wouldn't answer questions and told us to email her after class. however, in my upper division classes, things are a lot more personal. class size shrunk from 200 to 30 and participation was encouraged. i have had countless conversations outside of class that were intellectually associated to things we discussed in class. i love that! as a sociology major, i feel i am groomed to engage in intellectual conversations about a range of topics but usually centering around capitalism or consumerism. my professors make it easy to see parallels between my major and what is happening in the world today. though i love my major, the most unique class i took was tai chi. it was the best two credits i've ever earned! getting into UF seems harder than actually graduating. something like 17% of applicants actually get in...that is crazy.

I LOVE THE UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA and will never forget my time here. i bleed orange and blue.

stephen

One thing that I would change about UF would be the president of the university, Bernie Machen. Another would be the over-representation of students in greek societies. While I myself am in an organization that uses greek letters, we do not fall into the fold of the "greek culture" (meaning fraternities and sororities). Our student government is run by a shadow organization called Florida Blue Key and has been proved in court to be the puppet master. These people run this campus and run it in a self serving manner that legislatively ignores the will of the population (as proven through referendums passed and then not supported by the SG). Sadly, most students do not vote. Moving on, people react positively when I tell them that I attend UF. On campus, I spend most of my time near Turlington Plaza. Gainesville is not a college town in that there is a small non-college population here, but it definitely focuses on UF in the fall with football.

I fell that LGBTQ issues are not covered as carefully as they should be. Instead, LGBTQ affairs are more of a pandering toward students who associate themselves with such an identity. Student interaction is a bit clique-y, but the student government, in trying to get votes for the ruling party has catered and pandered to the needs of different societies and cultural groups without ever truly empowering the non-white greek male (look at Student body presidents; it's always a black male and/ or female as VP or treasurer, rather than as president).

Football and basketball are the cornerstones of social activity. beyond this, there is a heavy population of students who associate with at least one student group and are able to assimilate within the society, broadening their horizons through it. On a Saturday night, one can go to midtown and see live music falling into almost any category at any of a number of places. During the fall, No Idea Records puts on "The Fest" which is a giant punk and indy music bands converging on Gainesville for a great time.

Many professors will learn their students names. MY favorite classes have either been with professors Stafford, Moraski or Conley (in that ranking). Stafford will push his students to new heights, while Moraski will be very understanding toward his students. Conley is just a really great professor in a way that cannot be explained without experiencing his teaching style. As for intellectual conversations beyond the classroom, that is a topic that is subjective depending on who you talk to. Speaking with students who are in more political organizations (Students for a Democratic Society, College Dems/ Reps) will yield a greater amount of "intellectual" conversations.

No, seeing as one will find parties everywhere in the nation, at any campus. There just happens to be a (sadly) high population of (predominantly greek) students who identify with the party title, therefore we have received this wrap.

Charlie

When I tell people I go to UF most think

When I tell people I go to UF most think

The idea that everyone is Greek is not true. There are tons of other ways to get invovled and most students are not Greek, though the Greek community does basically run and own student government and is what one might call "powerful." Yes, Gainesville is a party town, but you don't have to take part or you can take part at your leisure. The University Police Department has recently seriously cracked down on underage drinking which makes partying or drinking at clubs much riskier for undeagers. UF is definitely all about the sports. Again, just like with other stereotypes which are semi-true, you don't have to go to football or basketball games, to softball, swimming or gymnastics. But if you want to check out all the sports teams that absolutely dominate the SEC and rock the country you totally can. Athletes are given special privileges: they register for classes first, for one. But most people at UF, even if they're not that into sports to begin with, come to love Gators sports. It's a part of being a member of the UF community and it unites all students as well as the student body with the vast complex of Gator alumni who come back game after game with their families. Don't expect a nice relaxing day out on campus on any Saturday football games day. The campus is literally swarmed (in a good way) with alumni and students. It's a sea of orange and blue and a grand old time.

A lot of people think everyone at the University is Greek. This is totally not true! There is definitely a visible Greek population but if you don't want to be Greek you can join the vast majority of students at UF and find an organization or way to get involved that's more your style. Another stereotype is that we all love to party and do it 24-7. I will admit that Gainesville is a college party town. you can probably find a party any night of the week and you'll probably be invited to at least a few every weekend, but not everyone is into partying. We are concerned with our academics as well! Another stereotype is that UF is all about the sports. Um, this is true.

Monica

UFL is amazing. The best thing is the environment on campus. I would change the transportation situation by adding more parking on campus. People are usually impressed when I tell them I go to UF. UF is definitely a college town that offers everything one could need in a small area. The biggest recent controversy on campus are the large budget cuts effecting the students and faculty.

UFL is a very diverse community and no student would feel out of place on campus. People wear all different things to class but mostly casual outfits such as jeans and a t-shirt. Most students at UF are middle to upper class and most are originally from Florida.

Professors usually do not know anyone's name in a large lecture, but they have the possibility to in smaller classes. Students usually study everyday. My major is political science and the college of liberal arts offers many interesting classes in this field.

I'm a brother of the National Co-ed Service Fraternity Alpha Phi Omega.

Very prestigeous school that is very hard to get into. The students are thought to be intelligent but cocky. Some see them as stuck up.

University of Florida administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.