Gainesville, FL
University of Florida

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Florida

alexis

It's great to be a florida gator! i adore living in a college town even if traffic is undearable sometimes. while on capus, i can usually be found at the aphio info booth in turlington or in class. i find UF's architecture to be aesthetically pleasing but hated the size of campus when i was a freshman. the dorms are tiny but i loved broward. public transportation is amazing here! (there is no public transportation where i'm from) most people resond favorably and even impressed when i tell them i go to UF. game day is my favorite. I look forward to saturdays in the fall all year. school pride on gamedays is inescapable! cries of 'go gators!' can be heard echoing throughout campus during football season. my best friend, who hated all sports when we started here, is now the biggest gator fan! he goes to athletic events all year ranging from football to gymnastics. its awesome. in general, i love everything about Uf from its student body to its sprawling campus, UF is the place to be.

the great thing about UF is that its pretty culturally diverse (even if the rest of gainesville and alachua county isnt) and i think most people would feel comfortable here. academic prowess and SAT scores seem to be more stratifying factors that skin color. the student body is so large that anyone could find a niche here. being the flagship university of the state means that we get a lot of money and i think a lot of students may benefit from that though scholarships and stuff. going to school in florida is so cheap so even if you come from a poorer background, you can probably afford live in gainesville. living costs in gainesville are less than many other locations in florida and that also adds to the affordability of attending UF. the activist student population seems pretty, well, active. there is always a petition or protest especially behing the reitz.

The students at UFl think they are smarter than students at other schools, that UFL is better than all other state schools, students are generally stuck up, we party too much, we smoke a lot of weed, UFL nurtures intellectualism and diversity, graduates have promising futures, the greek system runs the school and the most elite honor societies...

living at UF gives students a quintessential college experience. from the community feel in dorms to gator game days to 24-hour pizza delivery, there is always something going on to make students feel comfortable. the accent speakers bureau seems pretty popular lately and the bars always are. greek life seems pretty prominent. they are active even if they only represent a minority. personally, i was sad when sorority bid day (and the subsequent running of the bulls) was no longer covered by the alligator. that was one of my favorite fall traditions! if social greek life is not your cup of tea but you want that fraternal feel to your organization, there are many non social greek orgs like alpha phi omega national co ed service fraterenity (haha i had to plug my frat, sorry!) in general, there is always something to do at UF no matter what time of day or night.

i think i agree with most of them. I do disagree that our students are mostly stuck up, though i have run into a few during my tenure here. I certainly feel that even though the greek system only represents like 20% of the population they seem over represented in sga and many honor societies (blue key, etc)

lower division classes are huge and the professors never know anyone's name. When i took statistics 2, the TA wouldn't answer questions and told us to email her after class. however, in my upper division classes, things are a lot more personal. class size shrunk from 200 to 30 and participation was encouraged. i have had countless conversations outside of class that were intellectually associated to things we discussed in class. i love that! as a sociology major, i feel i am groomed to engage in intellectual conversations about a range of topics but usually centering around capitalism or consumerism. my professors make it easy to see parallels between my major and what is happening in the world today. though i love my major, the most unique class i took was tai chi. it was the best two credits i've ever earned! getting into UF seems harder than actually graduating. something like 17% of applicants actually get in...that is crazy.

I LOVE THE UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA and will never forget my time here. i bleed orange and blue.

stephen

One thing that I would change about UF would be the president of the university, Bernie Machen. Another would be the over-representation of students in greek societies. While I myself am in an organization that uses greek letters, we do not fall into the fold of the "greek culture" (meaning fraternities and sororities). Our student government is run by a shadow organization called Florida Blue Key and has been proved in court to be the puppet master. These people run this campus and run it in a self serving manner that legislatively ignores the will of the population (as proven through referendums passed and then not supported by the SG). Sadly, most students do not vote. Moving on, people react positively when I tell them that I attend UF. On campus, I spend most of my time near Turlington Plaza. Gainesville is not a college town in that there is a small non-college population here, but it definitely focuses on UF in the fall with football.

I fell that LGBTQ issues are not covered as carefully as they should be. Instead, LGBTQ affairs are more of a pandering toward students who associate themselves with such an identity. Student interaction is a bit clique-y, but the student government, in trying to get votes for the ruling party has catered and pandered to the needs of different societies and cultural groups without ever truly empowering the non-white greek male (look at Student body presidents; it's always a black male and/ or female as VP or treasurer, rather than as president).

Football and basketball are the cornerstones of social activity. beyond this, there is a heavy population of students who associate with at least one student group and are able to assimilate within the society, broadening their horizons through it. On a Saturday night, one can go to midtown and see live music falling into almost any category at any of a number of places. During the fall, No Idea Records puts on "The Fest" which is a giant punk and indy music bands converging on Gainesville for a great time.

Many professors will learn their students names. MY favorite classes have either been with professors Stafford, Moraski or Conley (in that ranking). Stafford will push his students to new heights, while Moraski will be very understanding toward his students. Conley is just a really great professor in a way that cannot be explained without experiencing his teaching style. As for intellectual conversations beyond the classroom, that is a topic that is subjective depending on who you talk to. Speaking with students who are in more political organizations (Students for a Democratic Society, College Dems/ Reps) will yield a greater amount of "intellectual" conversations.

No, seeing as one will find parties everywhere in the nation, at any campus. There just happens to be a (sadly) high population of (predominantly greek) students who identify with the party title, therefore we have received this wrap.

Charlie

When I tell people I go to UF most think

When I tell people I go to UF most think

The idea that everyone is Greek is not true. There are tons of other ways to get invovled and most students are not Greek, though the Greek community does basically run and own student government and is what one might call "powerful." Yes, Gainesville is a party town, but you don't have to take part or you can take part at your leisure. The University Police Department has recently seriously cracked down on underage drinking which makes partying or drinking at clubs much riskier for undeagers. UF is definitely all about the sports. Again, just like with other stereotypes which are semi-true, you don't have to go to football or basketball games, to softball, swimming or gymnastics. But if you want to check out all the sports teams that absolutely dominate the SEC and rock the country you totally can. Athletes are given special privileges: they register for classes first, for one. But most people at UF, even if they're not that into sports to begin with, come to love Gators sports. It's a part of being a member of the UF community and it unites all students as well as the student body with the vast complex of Gator alumni who come back game after game with their families. Don't expect a nice relaxing day out on campus on any Saturday football games day. The campus is literally swarmed (in a good way) with alumni and students. It's a sea of orange and blue and a grand old time.

A lot of people think everyone at the University is Greek. This is totally not true! There is definitely a visible Greek population but if you don't want to be Greek you can join the vast majority of students at UF and find an organization or way to get involved that's more your style. Another stereotype is that we all love to party and do it 24-7. I will admit that Gainesville is a college party town. you can probably find a party any night of the week and you'll probably be invited to at least a few every weekend, but not everyone is into partying. We are concerned with our academics as well! Another stereotype is that UF is all about the sports. Um, this is true.

Monica

UFL is amazing. The best thing is the environment on campus. I would change the transportation situation by adding more parking on campus. People are usually impressed when I tell them I go to UF. UF is definitely a college town that offers everything one could need in a small area. The biggest recent controversy on campus are the large budget cuts effecting the students and faculty.

UFL is a very diverse community and no student would feel out of place on campus. People wear all different things to class but mostly casual outfits such as jeans and a t-shirt. Most students at UF are middle to upper class and most are originally from Florida.

Professors usually do not know anyone's name in a large lecture, but they have the possibility to in smaller classes. Students usually study everyday. My major is political science and the college of liberal arts offers many interesting classes in this field.

I'm a brother of the National Co-ed Service Fraternity Alpha Phi Omega.

Very prestigeous school that is very hard to get into. The students are thought to be intelligent but cocky. Some see them as stuck up.

Kim

UF is Gainesville - I feel that if uf werent here no one would know about gainesville. there is tons of gator pride and we take our sports very seriously but we are also strict in the academics. when i tell people i go to uf they most of the times say - wow thats a hard school to get into congrats! i spend most of my time either in the booth - which is an information booth that my fraternity (alpha phi Omega) has, or at the library.

there are tons of different groups on campus for all types of students preferances and i personaly have not seen any student get put down for their beliefs or ways of life. campus is very open and some students come in pjs or in jeans and t-shirts.

I am part of Alpha Phi Omega a co-ed service fraternity that provides service to campus and the surrounding counties.

every school is going to have its parties, so i think that is generic. UF does put a major emphasis on its research which is good but i think they should pay more attention in the big science lecture hall classes to make sure students understand material

UF always has something going on from sports event to guest speakers, we just recently had the mythbusters come out and talk. students that live in the dorms are very social with their dorm-mates and create really close bonds. partying at UF really just depends but there is always a party to go to somewhere. i met some of my closest friends from being a part of Alpha Phi Omega and also living in the dorms.

I am a pre-vet student taking science classes - so most of my professors donot know my name as it is mostly large auditorium classes. students are very competitive GPA wise and most students study a lot. most professors have 'clickers' where they can get feedback from students or ask students questions etc. my favorite classes are my science classes as that is what im most interested in, i do not like having to have mandatory writing classes as i do not like writing very much.

Party school, cares more about research than students

Dylan

UF is a big place, but I wouldn't change that for the world. There are so many great people with such varying backgrounds and interests that it makes life interesting. If you have a smaller major, you'll get to know the same faces anyway, so having a large campus behind it is definitely good for branching out. The best thing about UF is definitely the atmosphere. We have such pride as students. It's definitely unmatched to other campuses in Florida. The Gator Nation is truly everywhere and it's something that I know I will pride myself on when I leave school. Whenever I tell people that I go to UF, they automatically ask me if I love it. UF is definitely associated with a great college experience and I would tell anyone that it is absolutely true. Gainesville itself is built around UF. That's another reason why I think the atmosphere here is so great. There are things open late, there are tons of coffee shops, there are lots of Gator apparel stores, and there are two of everything. The campus itself is so large that you feel like you are within your own community when you are on it. The atmosphere that Gainesville provides is definitely far from what my homelife was, but for a college city, it's not too bad. UF's administration has it's ups and downs, like all colleges. I think there are some great strides being made on our campus. I'm a liberal arts and sciences major and currently that is one of the hot topics on our campus - CLAS budgets. I think that our administration is pushing the envelope with this issue because it is a large college and cutting our funding is, in my opinion, a bad call. It's frustrating to me because we have such an advanced and well know science department (Shands Hospital helps with that) - you should be pushing the other side of college academia as well. Overall, I have not have a particular bad encounter with any of the administration. Everyone I have had contact with is more than happy to help if you ask the right questions to the right people. I'm going to walk away from UF with a ton of great memories. There is so much going on in Gainesville and on campus that it is hard to not have the time of your life. If you get involved in the right things on campus, you will have a great time here. Some say that UF is too large for you to have a memorable experience, but I think that makes it better here. Perhaps it takes an outgoing person to have a good time here, but I would not trade schools for the world.

There is such a diverse student body here. There are countless ways for UF students to get involved with their race, religion, culture, and interests. The non-social fraternities and sororities definitely help with that. There are also a ton of clubs (averaging I believe around 700 a semester). Even if you aren't religious, we have a lot of free speech here. Preachers frequent the campus and discuss religion in open and heated ways. The Hare Krishna's have lunch on campus for students who are interested. UF is an open place that has all kinds here - it's hard to be alone here in my opinion. UF students are from all over. I hear most everyone being from Florida with a few out of state students. The state has pretty good representation from all of the major areas. There is a good mix of ethnicities, religions, and cultures here. I feel like I have been exposed to a good group of people here. There are your stereotypical kids here - the nerds, the preps, the air heads, the jocks. But then there are a ton of people who break the stereotype. There is a lot of student interaction here. If you are at a sporting event, you don't care who is next to you - odds are you won't ever see them again - but in the moment, everyone is a friend. There are definitely times when the whole campus comes together and I think that for the 50,000 of us here, that's a great thing. There are a lot of students here on scholarship for need and for merit. There are all ends of the spectrum here - kids who are taking out personal loans and kids driving Daddy's Mustang. I think that is typical of anywhere on campus. There are a lot of first generation college students, it seems. Perhaps those are just the people in my major, I don't know. Overall, the blend of students here is pretty interesting. For politics, I would say most students are more liberal than anything. There are a ton of religious and convserative groups though. I think it depends on your major and your extra curriculars. There is truly something for everyone here with it comes to politics. There is always literature and there are definitely people out there to get you informed. In election years, it is a big deal. For Gainesville, a place mostly populated with students, there is also a large push to get us involved in local politics since it is "our city" too.

The actual Greek life here is a lot less than you would imagine, numbers wise at least. There are a ton of opportunities to be in non-social sororities and fraternities. Those groups are catered to your interests, your major, or your talents and they are a great way to meet people like you. The 'entitled' issue is hard to touch on because I think all of the students at UF know that we are at the best college in the state, that we have great accolades on campus (awesome sports, well-established professors, and an endless list of opportunities). I don't think we are cockier or have more pride than any other college but I do think that Florida students know they are getting the best opportunity that university life has to offer in Florida. As for drinking - a lot of people do it. That is undeniable. But not everyone does and there are ways to have fun without alcohol. It's all part of whichever niche you want to be in. But we do, absolutely, stay OBSESSED with our sports teams!

I think in general, UF is a great place to be. There are always the good with the bad. But, even in answering this survey, I don't really think of the bad things. It's hard to dwell on anything remotely negative when you are having a good college experience. Stuff happens; life doesn't stop because you are in college. But if you have a good enough expierence here - good friends, involved in organizations, taking interesting classes - you will stick through those bad times. It's part of being a kid. UF is really what you make it! So make the best of it :-)

Sororities and fraternities are big here. Even if you aren't in one, odds are you know someone who is. The parties and events that the Greek life puts on is always fun. It doesn't matter if you are involved or connected to them, you know what is going on on campus because of them. Otherwise, the mix of organizations on campus is so vast, I can't even say what 'most students' are involved in. However, I do work with the Dean of Students Office and I know that places like the DSO and the Union sort of suck their employees in. If you are involved in one part of the DSO, odds are you are involved in another; the same with the Union. Again, if you put the time into working with those organizations, you clearly want to make an impact, so you are more likely to be overly involved. The dorm experience is so personal. I stayed in Jennings Dorm my freshmen year and my entire floor got along. We left our doors open all of the time and worked together on homework while hanging out. We loved one another. A few floors above us, the experience was completely different; they never hung out in the ways that we do. We were lucky with the kids on our floor. If it had been a different group, we would not have gotten along nearly as well. We still stay in touch and hang out. The athletic events here are awesome. Besides the regular sports (football and basketball), I have seen some awesome things. Our soccer team is really intense and I LOVE our gymnastics. The gymnastics meets are amazingly entertaining and I really enjoy seeing them on our campus. Guest speakers are very popular here, with some very notable celebrities coming to campus through Accent (the organization that runs the guest speakers). I've seen Elie Wiesel, Margaret Cho, Bob Saget, Mythbusters, Kevorkian, and a ton more. It's been really fun seeing all of these people on campus and it is something that I would not expect to get out of college for free! I met my closest friends through my co-ed fraternity. We are a community service fraternity (Alpha Phi Omega). I have met such a great group of people that have the same interests as me. Together, we have so many events planned that it is hard not to hang out with them all of the time! I am so glad I joined the fraternity because it gives me the chance to give back to my community, make a difference, and be with people who have the same goals. It is so much fun and I would recommend it to anyone I meet. I also got very close with my friends from my freshmen dorm. Like I said, we still hang out 2 years and a whole new living situation later! I'm always awake at 2am on Tuesday! I usually am doing homework by that point but there are definitely nights where people will be over at my house just having fun. Movies and coffee shops are still open. There is always something to do here. Steak and Shake is good for that kind of late night fun as well. People party here just as much as any other campus. There are sorority and fraternity parties pretty regularly but you don't necessarily go to them all of the time. I feel like I always know about them even though I've been to one my entire career here. There are lots of parties in general on campus and in apartment complexes - it's part of college. We love tailgating for our sporting events too. Those are always fun times if you plan it properly. The downtown area is also a lot of fun if you like to dance too. If you don't drink, downtown is still a fun option for you because you can dance with your friends and meet new people. And if you don't like downtown and don't drink, there are tons of events put on by campus for you to have fun (movie nights, guest speakers, groups putting on benefits, etc). There is something for everyone if you take the time to look for it and get out there. Part of the fun is trying new things, too. Once you get past freshmen year and get involved, you spend a lot of time off campus. I live off campus, so I do a lot of shopping there. I definitely like to hang out in the off-campus places, like Starbucks. We take mini-road trips to the springs and go tubing when the weather is warm enough. The springs are so nice and it is very relaxing. We also have Lake Wauberg, a lake that is free for UF students that has supplies for you to use, like paddle boats. It's also good for a day off campus, to relax, and to have a chance of pace from the monotony of school. It isn't hard to find things to do on campus but off campus offers a more open place for you to get out and have fun. It all depends on what you like to do - there will be something for you in Gainesville.

Being an English major, my professors get to know my name a lot more than other classes. My classes are generally 30ish people, so the intimacy factor is there. I have been in class with an upwards of 600 people in them before. If you have a good TA in those classes, you can have a good bond with your instructors, however that is purely up to chance. The English department offers so many cool classes. My favorite courses have definitely been the children's literature classes. They are so interesting and definitely off of the expected path of English literature. I've thoroughly enjoyed all of my English classes though and the freedom that the professors have in choosing their topics gives the students an awesome selection to choose from as well. I spend a lot of time doing my reading for English classes, averages around a book a week. I have homework in my other courses and, most of the time, you can get away with not reading. More often than not, at least in my experience, professors are willing to help you with study guides or exam reviews if you ask for them. You can get out of doing a lot of the reading for classes by participating in classes. For my classes, class discussion is so important. If you don't know what you are talking about, however, you will sound like an idiot and professors will take note of it. You'd be surprised how many professors are willing to and wanting to hear from their students. Office hours are great if you use them wisely. Students here are definitely pretty competitive, especially within the various colleges and departments here. Grades are still very important to us. We do have intellectual conversations outside of the class - sometimes carrying on the conversations we had in class. I have sat in professor's office hours before and had hour long talks about the topics we cover in class on a much more personal level. If you put the time into your studies, you will definitely get a lot out of your coursework. Depending on your major and college, you get a different experience here at UF. For me, English is all about learning about the subjct and taking out of it what YOU want. In other courses, I know the courses are designed to get you hired. It depends on what your major is and how much you are willing to put into a course. If you take the time to do the work and talk to people about the subject matter, you will create an environment where you learn for learning's sake. I think most of UF can by summed up by saying: you get out of it what you put into it.

A lot of people think that UF students are all sorority or fraternity students. I think a lot of people also think Florida students may act a little 'entitled'. Everyone at UF drinks and is obsessed with sports, or so everyone thinks.

Skylar

UF is a very large school and has alot of resources available to the students. The school tries to help students in having resources to succeed, although the school doesn't really try to help in an administrative aspect. The school gets alot of visitors to see our excellent sports programs and it has a beautiful campus. There is always action going on at the campus and the school is very accommodating to everyone. Students at UF also stand up for what they believe in and will protest and advocate for those beliefs. The admin. as stated before, is a joke and we are currently having budget problems and will have to eliminate an entire college.

The school is very accommodating and tolerant. Student government is more like a dictatorship in the greek system, but they have gotten good speakers like myth busters, Elton john and the blue man group to come through Accent to perform.

No, not really. The admin. doesn't are about their students and most of the students start studying a day before exams and only care about the grades instead of actually learning anything.

Although research is the main advocation by administration for the faculty, in the college of HHP, the faculty cares about the students. They are what make the school work and I have not come upon a professor I have not liked. Classes are usually large, but the professors are very accommodating and try to help as much as possible. The academic requirements are a little slack. I would say my favorite class is prevention and care of injuries, which I have actually got to use in real life!!!

I am part of alpha phi omega and it is a great service organization. But if you aren't into that, there are plenty of social organizations as well as heritage ones.

Uf students are very smart and that they party alot. Uf is also thought to be this great school and the school cares about students.

Allison

The Univeristy of Florida is a large school, but once involved in organizations there doesn't seem to be that many people. While it's crowded, it's not overly crowded. Football and sports of all kind are really important here and it's fun to go to events. Gator Football makes fall semester the best semester there is. There's so much pride here for being a part of the Gator Nation. Though being a part of the Gator Nation has some negative things too, mainly parking. Parking is the worst part about this campus. There are never enough spots. I live in Beaty Towers and the closest parking spot to my dorm where I can keep my car is 3/4 miles away. All in all the big picture of UF is pretty darn amazing.

I've found that overall the UF student body is rather accepting of all races and genders. I haven't found/ heard of any problems thus far. We've has LGBT awareness day in which people can walk through a symbolic door in the most crowded area on campus and come out into society. However, most students at UF are white, so there isn't an overwhelming amount of diversity. As far as what students wear to class? Everything. You see everything from pjs, to jeans and a t-shirt to sundresses and suits. But there is one thing that's necessary, flip flops. Almost everyone wear's flip flops.

That UFL is just a party school and that the students are also very party oriented.

The most popular activities are campus are getting involved with the greek life and intermural sports. I'm involved with Alpha Phi Omega, a co-ed services frat. It's a good idea to pick something to get involved with to make 50,000 people seem a little smaller. Dorms are decent at UF. I live in Beaty and I've made a lot of friends there. My room mates and I leave the door unlocked when we're in the room and people come in and out as they please. It's really nice. Parties are popular on the weekends. Lots of house/apartment parties to even goign downtown. Sometimes even Wednesday night is a popular night to hit the downtown area and go clubbing.

Academics are average at UF. Right now I'm in a lot of general class, i.e. the "weed out" classes. The sciences are held in large lecture halls for general science classes. Once you get to a higher level of science you get smaller classes. Profressors don't tend to know your name, but if you make and effort they will. Most professors are also really good about writing you back e-mails and sending you updates through the academic website of e-learning or even your gator e-mail account.

Yes and no. UF is very party oriented, but I'd say more than half the students are more school oriented than party oriented.

All in All, as I've said before UF is a big school with some problems, but a great place to get the full college experience.

The best thing about UF is the school's pride. It is easy to see during football games the pride that our school has. Student gather together in waves of orange and blue and even alumni come from all over just to watch the games. People bring out their children and form them into Gator fans when they are young, putting them in Gator gear or cheerleading outfits. My first experience made me proud to be a part of this school. I feel like UF is a perfect sized campus. I love the brick buildings and old trees everywhere and feel safe and at home on this campus.

I feel that our campus is very diverse and there's room for everyone. I do not feel like people are left out or feel out of place on campus and everyone interacts with everyone else. Students are free to choose what they want to wear to class and most people just dress comfortably.

One stereotype at UF is that we have inflated heads from winning three national championship titles in a row.

I would not say that our heads are inflated, but we definitely have high expectations for our sports and I feel that our sports are far superior to the other schools' sports teams in Florida.

I just absolutely love my school. I was planning to go to the University of Miami, but I am so glad that I decided on UF because I have absolutely loved my college experience thus far.

At UF the classes are so large that professors and students do not really get to know each other unless students take advantage of the professors' office hours. So far at UF I have loved my Intro to Nutrition class that I took. I am a nutrition major and found the class to be really interesting and it helped me make healthier choices in my daily life.

UF has so many opportunities to have a safe place to hang out with your friends. I am a member of Alpha Phi Omega, which is a community service fraternity that also has the responsiblity of running the information booth on campus and I will never forget my experience with my fraternity. UF holds "Gator Nights" at our Reitz Union every Friday night with various activities throughout the night, including a movie that is inbetween theaters and DVD. UF also brings in many different speakers. My favorite one that I went to this year was listening to the Mythbusters from the Discovery Channel.

The school is far too large. Students are treated like numbers and grading encourages cheating in order to stay ahead. Those of us who are first-generation college students should not attend such a large school; UF is simply incapable and unwilling to provide the type of advising necessary for our success. While I graduated with my bachelor's degree, the process was far harder than necessary, especially compared to my friends who are not first-generation college attendees.

Gators are amazing and diverse. Most students are from affluent backgrounds and tend to not hold jobs. Often, those that do hold jobs do not do so to pay rent, but for extra weekend drinking money.

Alpha Phi Omega was my saving grace during college. With an amazing group of people I developed leadership skills, provided service to my campus and community and made lifelong friends. I still hang out with my Brothers often, despite having graduated.

Education is geared toward the professor getting out of class as soon as possible and back to their latest research project. As long as the student is paying tuition, UF doesn't care about them.

UF is the best university in the state of Florida

University of Florida administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.