Gainesville, FL
University of Florida

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Florida

Ryan

I love UF, I think it's an amazing university with a lot of wonderful things going on inside of it. When I first started seeing the "Go write the next American novel, Go Gators" commercial, I would get teary eyed. When I say I go here, I almost feel like I am being arrogant to say so. There are especially exceptional masters and PhD students here. While there are so many smart and wonderful students studying here, I also feel like there are people who never should have gotten in. During my senior year of high school, some of the people who I thought were MOST qualified were waitlisted, and others (hispanic students) who were very UNqualified, were accepted. I barely got in myself, and it really upset me that the accepting process wasn't better at selecting the brightest and most talented and hardest-working students.

UF has a diverse student body. I've met many different types of people, but a few types are predominant. As a business student, I think that a lot of Greeks are in my classes. I don't enjoy that culture. I'm distraught that so many college kids are following the example of the fools on reality tv shows, who think their social and dating lives are of utmost importance, that it's crucial to have the cutest clothes and the latest handbags and talk in that ditsy, mind-numbing manner. On the other end of the spectrum are the hippies. I like hippies, they tend to think a little farther outside the box, which I think is really important. The other significant group of people I meet are Hispanics. There are SO many Cubans, and other Hispanic people at UF. Many of them I think are excellent students and well qualified, but some I think are lazy and not that intelligent. At my own high school, several unqualified Hispanic students were accepted to UF over other white, well qualified students. This makes me think that UF favors hispanics when admitting new students. I also went to Santa Fe CC for one semester. I made friends much easier there. Perhaps the people are less competitive, more laid back, or less busy and have more time to hang out. I'm not really sure.

Smart, big partiers, big greek scene. Another stereotype is of Gainesville-residents to be hippies.

I think UF offers a lot of great social events. I really enjoyed seeing Bob Saget and the guys from Myth Busters. I wish I had gone to more sports events, since I only went to the football games. When I lived in Tolbert during my freshman year, I didn't make many friends. I'd say hi to people in the hallway and chat in the kitchen, but I wouldn't go out with anyone regularly (I also only lived there during the Spring semester.) No one ever left their doors open and rarely hung out in the common area. I met my boyfriend at Salsa Caliente, although he is not a UF student. I love the dancing clubs (swing and salsa) but they are also not strictly UF clubs. It's probably 60% 40% of UF/non-UF people. Because I've been so busy with school the last few semesters, I haven't partied that much. When I do, it's usually when a friend from high school is throwing a party, or there's an occasion at work (RepDials for the Florida Fund) to celebrate. I prefer house parties to going to the bars, and I'm not really thrilled to the clubs downtown. I love dancing and going out at night (especially in Europe!) but the Gainesville night life just doesn't do much for me. To me, it is a sterile environment with too many Greeks and not enough genuinely cool people. On most nights during the week, I'm at home taking care of business or studying or else just hangint out wiht my boyfriend.

As a business student, I've taken many huge classes with TAs or teachers who don't really care. In many classes, I would prefer to just sit back and hear what my teacher has to say, rather than be involved in a classroom discussion. In many of the business classes (ECO2023) I've felt that we were not adequately prepared for the tests, nor given materials (we were not assigned a textbook) to help us prepare. I passed that class thanks to Tutoring Zone, for $25 per test. As a serious student, I dont think I should have to rely on Tutoring Zone to pass my classes. I study a lot, and every time I go to the library, I realize that I am not the only one!

I love biking around campus, and I love Krishna lunch. Those two things make my days on campus happy. I am unhappy with the food selection on campus. Chick-fa-lay SUCKS and everything else is too expensive. I think it would be nice if there were more microwaves around campus so we could bring food or popcorn to eat on campus. Also, the Gator-Dining places are way too expensive! I have never been on a meal plan, and although my family is pretty well off, I feel like I couldn't even ask for a meal plan because I don't even want to spend that much on a single meal regularly.

Yes, I think the main 2 scenes in Gainesville are those of the hippies and those of the Greeks.

Jonathan

The Univeristy of Florida is a great school to attend. The town itself is a college town and so everything is geared towards UF. Without Uf it would be extremely boring here. There is a lot to do from intramurals ro leisure activites to organizations such as fraternities and volunteer services. Classses are relatively large depending on the major you choose and whether or not it is an introductory course. OVerall UF is people friendly and there is so much to do here.

Uf is predominantly an all white town. However, there is no prejudice or disrimination all races and ethnic groups get along just fine. Many people are republicans and come from rich backgrounds but again these details do not play a role in who they are as a person. There is no talk about money or family background, mainly everyone wants to have a good time and meet new people.

A lot of people seem to think we are a huge party school and very arrogant being that we won so many championships recently.

Classes at Uf are no joke. You must read and do what is required to pass your classes. It iss very different from the high schhol days when you can blow things off and assume you would still do fine. Professors offer office hours and sometimes it is necessary to go there as you may not be allowed to ask questions in class. There are a lot if general education requirements that ensure you become a well rounded student and majors at Uf ensures a great futur for you. There are courses that give you work experience and internships.

We tend to be a little forthcoming when it comes to how awesome our sports teams are but in regards to partying I would say academics first.

There is a lot to do at UF. I do not know where to begin. There is community service, job opportunites, internships, just plain old work. You can take leisure courses, learn how to scuba dive, take fencing classes, horseback riding classes. There is nothing you can't do at UF.

Uf is awesome and that's about all I could say. Great environment and great place to be and great people all around. Easy to fit in.

John

UFL is a challenging college. From my experience at UCF, the students here are much more motivated to strive in academics and have a higher overall intelligence. Due to the strict standards on getting in, the quality of a student is higher thus making the college better and in reverse creates the high standards.

The student body is extremely diversified, despite the fact that I went to an white majority highschool, I found that many more types of people are here. One thing that many of the students have in common is related to what was previously mentioned in academics. Everyone is still motivated to do well and are fairly smart despite religious, racial, and socio-economic factors.

I transferred to UFL from UCF. It seemed to me that many UFL were arrogant because of two national titles.

No, not really. I feel like people aren't that hard headed. Yes, we love football and are proud being gators, but I couldn't see myself or many of the people I know as people who would demonstrate arrogance to college students outside of UFL.

This is a strange survey and don't really see the purpose of it quite yet. I'm hoping that I am an outlier of whatever the results show and provide a different view point in the conclusion.

As a college freshman the classes are large and impersonal, but due to the fact in many of my classes that provide online lectures, attendence is short and creates a personal class room. If online lectures are not included, usually there are TAs in the class like my intro to chemistry class (CHM 1025). Attendence is high, but the class actually is personal with the many TAs in the class.

I live in Murphree dorm area. An area generally for upperclassmen that is really nice for a freshman, but it is a little anti-social, but there were so many opportunities to join an organization it was easy to meet people. Fraternities are big here and play big roles in not just social life, but school life. I joined a service fraternity and it has kept me busy. I like it because it is not so focused on partying as a regular fraternity would have, but social events still happen. I am a non-drinker and still am welcomed to attend parties and if I don't feel like going I could do something at the Reitz like a movie or some TSF (drama/comedy) show. Last weekend I did 10 hours of community service, a carwash to raise money, and a trip to Lake Wauberg for our service frat fellowship. It was a bit to much that weekend I must say. It was required though by the fraternity to do these things if I wish to become a brother. At 2AM on Tuesday I am asleep for classes the next day.

Andy

i think that the best thing about UF is that somehow you will run into someone you know. The campus is large but for some reason, there are always people you know around. The only time that there wouldn't be anyone you know is if you are from out-of-state i guess. The niggest recent controversy was the "Tazing" incident that went international. We have a lot of school pride, but its centered around our football and basketball teams. They are good, but we have a lot of other sports that we do excellent in every year, like undefeated excellent, but no one watches them. Though recently people have been getting interested in gymnastics and girl's soccer.

i dont have any experience with LGBT but i do have friends that are involved with it and i think thats good. I mean its somplace for them to fit in and meet others in "their community" as they like to say. people here are politicall aware for the most part and mostly either in the center or the left. and everyone talks about how much they will earn.

i mena, i think you got everything.

i do have a couple professors who know my name, but it is only if you have a small class and take more than one of their classes. i do not spend time with my teachers outside of class.

that they are all smart; they are all athletic

most popular: greeks i met my closes friends from living with them and being in a fraternity. i love it. i don't know about the dating scene cuz i just date somone if i like them and they ask me out, so i dont really know how it works. people party all the time. seriously. its cool. i mean classes are important so no everyone can party all teh time, there are just parties all the time and if yu can't make it, you can't last weekend i studied and watched a movie with some friends. you can all kinds of things that dont involve drinking. u can go play pool, watch a movie, stay in and play boardgames or just hang out and listen and dance to music.

Liz

I spend most of my time on campus at the Information Booth run by Alpha Phi Omega, a co ed fraternity that I am a part of. Not only do we give out info to students, but the booth is a really fun place to hang out and kill time in between classes. The booth is almost always full, and it's very easy to lose track of time in there.

The students here are quite varied. There are all sorts of race and religions represented here. However, there seems to be a lot of divisions among those lines. For example, many of the Indian students socialize only with fellow Indian students, and call themselves "Brown Town". The divisions arent forced however, but by the students own choosing.

Some common stereotypes include that we are all big party animals. Greek life is seen as a large part of UF and most people will assume that you're in a fraternity or sorority if you go to UF

UF academics is somewhat inconsistent. There are some classes that are really difficult and some that are a joke. Some professors will get to know you, and some won't bother. It's really difficult to classify UF academics into one adjective.

Off campus usually involves house parties. Going to a typical college aprtment complex on a weekend , one is bound to find several parties raging. Students are very safe with drinking though, and the town of Gainesville has an accomadating bus service for students who do choose to drink

It's great to be a Florida Gator!

The stereotypes are accurate to some extent. Greek life is very prevalant on campus, and there are definitely a lot of parties. However, academia is definitely stressed here as well.

Liz

The best thing about UF is the Gator nation. Although it is a huge school (a little too large, in my opinion) we are all united through something as minor as a football game day--everyone sporting their Orange and Blue and having a great time. On regular days, though, the thing that sucks most about UF is how huge it is. There are strangers everywhere, and people in Gainesville are not friendly--at home, you make eye-contact with the person passing you on the sidewalk, here you scowl and pretend you don't see them. Gainesville is definitely a college town, and going to school here you can exist for months within a 5 mile radius; students forget how large Gainesville is and that there are parts of the town that aren't impacted by what's going on on campus. The campus itself is one of the largest in the nation, and the most beautiful!

UF has a great diversity on campus, walking through the union or Turlington plaza, you'll see many racial, religious, and LGBT groups trying to get you to come out to their meetings or attend functions. I can't imagine any one feeling out of place in a campus so large and diverse, there is a group for everyone. Students wear jeans, a t-shirt, and flip flops to class. The dining halls are all frequented by those with meal plans (mostly Freshmen). Most students here are from in state and attending UF on the Bright Futures scholarship. Politically, I would say that UF is a moderately liberal campus although I think that the groups that you see most of the time are only representing the extremities of either side.

Stereotypes exist for a reason. I think at the surface, people mold in to stereotypes because it's a guaranteed, easy way to fit in with your peer group, whoever that might be. But once you dig deeper, people surprise you--after all, we're all human; we all have the same emotions, worries, and fears.

UF really forces you to go out there and make things happen for yourself. Being such a large campus is both a pro and con, on one hand people are cold, but on the other hand, there is a sub-community for everyone. Alpha Phi Omega

The Greek Fraternity and Sorority system is very prevalent because the members wear their greek letters as much as possible, but most students on campus do not belong to any sort of greek organization. Most of the clubs on campus use greek letters, although they are not a traditional Greek sorority/fraternity system. For example, I am involved in Alpha Phi Omega, a National Co-Ed Service Fraternity--we use Fraternity jargon like Brothers and Rush, but our main purpose is to serve our community. Some dorms on campus are known as social dorms, these are mostly the standard dorms with two people in one room, and a community bathroom on each floor. Nicer, suite-style dorms are less social because you have everything you need in your one room. I lived in an apartment-style dorm and had really great luck with my random roommates, they are my closest friends here at UF and it's ridiculous how close we have grown and how comfortable we are with each other. If we're up at 2 am, we are most likely just sitting around checking Facebook or talking and pretending to be working on homework. Depending on what type of people you hang out with, you could party every day of the week, once a month, or never. UF has weekly activities every weekend which you can attend for free and see movies that are sometimes still in theaters or not out on DVD yet, and they have free food and activities like getting pictures made or making keychains.

I don't know that many UF-specific stereotypes; it's mostly the same ones that you would encounter on any campus. Sorority girls are stereotyped as extremely obnoxious, dumb, not very good-looking, and fake. Frat boys are party-animals, STD-infested, slackers whose parents are going to hook them up with a job after college anyway.

Professors here do not know your name unless you make a point of pestering them during office hours. My favorite classes are taught in the College of Journalism and Communications, although I did have a really fun Mythology professor but she doesn't teach the course anymore. There are some students that do nothing but study, and then there are other students who do nothing but party, but the most of us fit somewhere in the middle. Classes are very competitive because students here are very smart, but I think intellectual conversations outside of class are rare. I am in the Business college, and I have never spent time with my professors outside of class. Our classes are so large that most of them are taught online, and I only see the professors during exams. Classes of less than 30 students are rare, and more in the College of Liberal Arts. I would say that the education at UF is geared toward learning about current events within each career, and seeing ways that you might use this information later on.

Alex

The University is nestled in a central Florida town known as Gainesville, but better known as Title Town. When I tell people I go to UF, the response is always a positive one. The best thing about UF is the campus. Our campus is beautiful, historic, and sunny. Sun bathers love the lawn. There are also a lot of activities held on the lawns as well. The one thing I would change is the parking situation. There just isn't enough of it! Most of my time is spent in the Turlington Plaza information booth with my comrades, Alpha Phi Omega. It's a good feeling to know that I have a place to go when I have time to waste. Gainesville is an amazing college town with an awesome night life. Midtown, also called the Gaines-Vegas strip, is home to classic bars like "XS", "Ballz" and further down, you can find the Swamp Restaurant. Downtown is also a blast! Gainesville provides the best setting for a college town.

The Student Body is really diverse. I don't see any student ever being felt uncomfortable or out of place here at UF. If you just walk through Turlington in the afternoons, you'll see many different groups tabling for their cause. It's an institution for people on all walks of life.

I would agree with these stereotypes. The Gators dominate only because they're amazing and we have three national titles to prove it. The girls are beautiful and the boys are intelligent.

I am really active in Alpha Phi Omega co-ed Service Fraternity, and I have found my niche at UF. I love the people and the activities and knowing I can always count on my brothers. People party, but too much work and not enough play makes for a very boring person. I met my closest friends through APhiO and we are really close. The dating scene...let's see. It's a blast! Just be social!

The one downfall is the size of classrooms, but if you're an active participant in classes, it isn't a problem. We Gators are intellegent, so intellectual conversations are common. The most interesting class I have taken to date is American History with Dr. Noll. I just love it!

The first stereotype that comes to mind is that we are an institution in the state of Florida that has competitive acceptance rates. We also have an amazing sports program (GO GATORS!). The song "We are The Boys" says it all: "where the girls are the fairest, the boys are the squarest of any ole state down our way".

The best thing about UF is the school pride. We are the gator nation, and everywhere you look there is orange and blue. we are all very proud to be gators. One thing I would change though is the amount of students that go here just because the sidewalks can get very crowded between classes.

As an african american I sometimes feel out of place at a predominately white school, but never enough to make me feel uncomfortable.

UF is an amazing school and I really love going here!

The most popular thing to do at UF is join a social sorority or fraternity. As an alternative to that I joined Alpha Phi Omega which is a co-ed service fraternity that is a whole lot of fun. Athletic events are probably the most important though because everyone is a gator fan. Saturday game days are crazy at the Swamp, because afterall we are National Champions.

Beginning level undergrad classes at UF are very large because of our huge student body size, and it can be very hard to get to know your professor so you have to put a lot of effort into it. The upper level classes aren't so bad and they can be very intellectually stimulating. My favorite class at UF thus far has been Social Psychology because it really made me think about what I want to do with the rest of my life.

That it is a party school and that all the students do is party. Oh and that all we care about is Football. On the other hand we are also the hardest public school to get into in Florida so we are all thought of as being really smart. Because of this people think that we are stuck up.

Courtney

UF is a really large school, but you can use that to your advantage. Its size allows for many opportunities. Gainesville is the perfect college town. It caters to the students and the university, although there are some scary places of Gainesville. There is a ton of school spirit at UF and it really is the gator nation! Wherever I travel around the world I always run into a fellow UF student.

The class sizes can be large. The best way to get to know a teacher is to do research with them. I have found that the upper level classes are more intimate. There are lots of scholarships availible.

Laura

Gainesville is THE college town. There's a vibrant music scene, a fair amount of hippies, great local shops, and a fun nightlife. Walking into a store or restaurant is like walking on campus, everyone there is your age. It's rare to see children or older people. Gainesville feels like a little world inside itself. People are impressed when I tell them I go to UF. They know that it is the most prestigious school in the state of Florida. The campus has a lot of charm which you don't normally find in Florida. The architecture is interesting and there are many quiet and relaxing spots to have lunch or study. The large oaks and magnolias provide shade and beauty.

Many students are from middle class homes throughout Florida. Occasionally you come across a Barbie with Daddy's money, but not too often. There is every type of religious group in campus, you name it, we've got not one but three. To class many wear typical t-shirts, Gators shirts, or things from the mall. There are a lot of people who dress sort of out there, but they all mix well with the rest of campus.

The University of Florida feels like a little United Nations. If we could make the world only a couple a couple of miles across, but keep the mix of cultures, it would be the University of Florida.

ACCENT is an organization on campus that brings many influential speakers onto campus, some recent ones: Bob Saget, John Kerry, Jack Kevorkian, and Bill Nye the Science Guy. Partying is a big part of campus, most aren't sober all weekend. But it is possible to do so. There are usually a couple of house parties going on you can go to. Or you can head downtown to dance. Gator Nights is an activity on Friday nights when you want to keep it low-key where it's free for students to make things, hear bands, watch new movies at the student union. It's really fun.

Not at all. There is a wide range of activities and clubs. While the Greeks do control some aspects of the campus, life is totally normal without being a Greek. There also people from every walk of life and one does not feel pressure to fit in as most accept you for who and what you are. It is a very liberal campus, yet it is balanced by conservatives, keeping things balanced. The stereotype of Florida students being huge sports fans is mostly true. Campus comes alive with excitement and spirit on game days. Football is the main sport of worship, but others are appreciated too.

The classes here are taught by qualified professionals. But many times the classes are crowded and it is hard to get to know the professor. They are always available in their office hours and by appointment. Some classes, like in the English department are small and personal, however. Class participation is very common and most teachers include it as part of your grade. I actually had a teacher keep track of how many times I participated. The most interesting class I took was Russian Fairy Tales, where we read and discussed native Russian folk stories.

Many people think that UF students are all stuck up, rich sorority girls or frat boys. They also think everyone is a super genius, too busy studying to have fun.

University of Florida administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.