Gainesville, FL
University of Florida

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Florida

When i first came to UF I was a little overwhelmed by the size. I thought i might be just an 8 digit UFID number in a sea of students. But it's really not like that at all. Once you learn your way around campus you see that its really not so big. Also your classes will be in the same general area based on your major so that will become your campus. I feel like everyone an UF finds their niche and a place and crowd they feel comfortable in. I think with a big university there are so many diverse people that you can learn from and you don't get that from a small university. UF is the ideal college town. I love how you can cross university ave and be in the city. You can grab a burrito at burrito brothers or go to target copy and get your coursepack right in between class! The city revolves around the students and businesses depend on us for business so they cater to their needs. Sometimes I like to schedule my classes so I have an hour to relax. If i have my lap tap i'll go to Orange and Brew to study. When the weather is nice, (which is about 75% of the time! Another great thing about going to UF!) I'll get Krishna lunch with some friends in the Plaza of the Americas. I'm a photojournalism student and i love just walking around camps, watching students, and seeing the campus from different views. It's really incredible, the architecture, the age of the buildings and watching people interact.

I love my smaller journalism classes. My design classes are based around projects and while there is some lecturing it is really hands on. Photojournalism is always really interesting and Mr. Freeman really knows how to inspire his students. It's impressive to me what a qualified photojournalist he is and how much knowledge he has about the subject. Teachers make an effort to have class participation. My least favorite classes have been math and science classes. They aren't as hands on. Luckily my general education classes are out of the way. I feel like the journalism classes are really trying to prepare you for a job. I feel like the material is most likely something i will use again in my job or for another class. It's nice to know that i'm not wasting time in class filling my brain with knowledge i'll never use. I feel like my design teacher Renee Kratzer is always available and eager to talk. She is really intersted in the jobs we plan on pursuing in the future and she is excited for us. She is very good at constructive criticism and teaches us that design is a creative process and not a science. She encourages us to look at each others work and i am always excited for the class. Classes like International relations feel like it's more learning for the sake of learning, but it's also things that apply to real life which is interesting.

I don't think any student would feel out of place at UF. There is seriously a group for everyone. I took my freshman year to really look at the campus and figre ut where i fit in. I joined a variety of clubs but it wasn't until I joined a sorority the fall of my sophomore year that i felt like i really git in. I am in a house with girls with similar interests and i am inspired everyday to better myself through academics, campus involvement, and service. I think GreekLife is really big on campus. After seeing how involved greek organizations were on campus i really wanted to join. I would see girls with their letters together and it looked like such a great support system. College life can get hard sometimes and its great to have sisters to lean on. I am really happy i decided to go greek. Greek Life isn't for everyone though and there are plenty of people that decide not to join. I live in an off campus apartment and both of my roommates are not greek. They are both busy doing their own thing though and are very happy. One of them has a job at an after school day care and the other volunteers for Rock104.3 There is really something for everyone at UF. No matter what your interest. You can find a group for just about anything on the reitz union website. I have enjoyed two leisure classes so far. They are an AWESOME opportunity to learn a new skill and meet some new people. I took pottery wheel and beginning guitar. It doesn't take up too much time or money, and it feels great at the end to see you have learned something new! You aren't graded or anything so it is really a nice break from regular classes. My freshman year i was in Springs Complex which was mostly athletes. I am not an athlete but it was cool getting to meet the girls on the swim team and see popular foot ball players. The dorm was not as social as some of my other friends dorms. In broward when they get home after going out they'll usually go down to the common room and order pizza.

Chris

Best thing - The opportunities!!! They are absolutely endless. Even as a freshman pre-med, you can volunteer in the ER at the research hospital, Shands, on campus, shadow surgeons, or assist in medical research. As you get older, the opportunities just get more and more amazing. One thing I'd change - parking on campus SUCKS!! Size - We are definetely a huge school but it gives us a huge variety of people. I love the diversity the size brings to the school. Plus, anything you could possibly be into.. there are at least 50 other people here who love it too. You can without a doubt find groups that fit every interest you have. Peoples response - when I tell people I go to UF I always get a good response. Even from rival fans.. no matter what their affiliation, they know I had to work my butt off to get here and that it's a really great school. College town - DEFINETELY a college town. I LOVE it. Everyone here and everything here is in support of the gators. Your first gameday is an experience.. it's like you have a gigantic family, every person within a 20 mile radius, you have a bond that brings you together. School pride - you've never seen anything like it. Die-hard fans" is the biggest understatement ever.

Diverse groups - we have very vocal groups but it has never really gotten out of hand. We have heated debates about issues and many groups bring in controversial speakers. Dr. Kevorkian came and spoke during the fall semester which, as most know, is a huge moral and religious issue. Out of place - there is no major group on campus. We have the greeks, the med students, activists, the art kids, band, feminists, sidewalk preachers, EVERYTHING. Any person would fit in here. Wear to class - I've seen everything. And I mean EVERYTHING. Pajamas, sundresses, sperrys and lacoste, one kid even showed up to my chem class wearing a full-blown storm trooper costume. You see a ton of gator shirts and jeans I would say is the basic attire. Be forwarned.. guys, do NOT be caught wearing jorts. Jean shorts have been burned during fraternity rush. Just don't do it. Where the students are from - the majority of the people are from south florida. There are plenty of other people too though. I'm from a tiny town with one stoplight.. and I know plenty of international students and from all over the country. Politically aware - Definetely. Almost everyone here has strong convictions on politics. Even our student government elections get heated with opposing parties mudslinging. The frats and sororitys here are almost forced to vote. They WILL bitch you if you don't. and they are just expected to vote for the "gator party". It's pretty much a dictatorship that no one but the greeks can get into.

Professors - don't know your name unless you are at their office hours all the time. The classes here are typically huge. Most of mine have 200-700 people. Study - you will work hard if you are here. I study on average a good 20 hours outside of class a week. And I am about average, plenty of people hold up in the library for ridiculous hours. Intellectual conversation - People have strong convictions at UF. Politics, religion, and many other topics are typically overheard in the dining halls. Given, so are talks of thursday night at "Whiskey Room".

There are a couple people who act that way that give us a bad image, but most of us don't. We love our school and I definetely think it's the best in the state, but I would never talk down to someone. I have a ton of friends that go to other universities in the state and I love them just the same =)

That we're stuck up and think we're better than everyone else.

organizations - cicerones is one of the most sought after groups to be in. The ambassadors for florida who are known to be the most friendly people you will ever meet and they are soooo easy to talk to. They are every future leaders examples. Most of the time the cicerones are the people who if you've only talked to them once, you feel like they are your best friend. Most people want to be in this organization because the people they look up to the most are dedicated members. Athletic events - "The Swamp" on gamedays is probably going to be declared the 8th wonder of the world. I live about 5 miles away from campus and it would be easier for me to walk from my apartment to the stadium then to try and find somewhere to park at the school. People start off the day around 7am with "kegs and eggs" tailgating. Every square foot of the school is covered with gator fans. With a title and Tebow, what would you expect?

I love being a Florida Gator! The school is awesome and it's great living in a college town.

UF is a very diverse campus. I don't think any student should feel out of place at UF because I think every group is pretty much represented. The financial backgrounds most prevalent are middle class and upper class. A lot of students are politically active, a lot sway either way-right or left.

Drinking school, nerds, smart kids, football school

Greek organizations are definitely the most popular on campus. Football games are the most popular events by far. The dating scene at UF seems non-existent. Everyone hooks up or already has a significant other. If I am awake at 2 a.m. on a Tuesday, I'm either watching tv, talking to my boyfriend on the phone, playing on facebook, or doing homework. People party a lot! I think sororities and fraternities are good organizations as long as you don't get too caught up in all the bullshit/if you can handle all the bull shit. I can go to a play, go out to dinner with friends, watch a movie on a Saturday night without drinking.

I have had some awesome professors at UF, a lot of which with I have formed personal relationships. I have learned so much at UF.

Jackie

The best thing about UF is the location of campus and downtown in relation to the city. Everything is close knit and I like that. One thing I would change is possibly adding more classes that focus on hands on work experience and less on getting A's. My school is just right, although there are many classes with hundreds of people, there are also ones with 15 or less. When I tell someone I go to UF they smile and nod - apparently the Gators are well known in Florida. On campus I spend a lot of time in the Weimer library and at the Hub on my computer. It is certainly a college town. The administration at UF is sometimes unfriendly, but at least I get to register for classes. A controversy on campus was over which student government party should be elected. UF has immense school pride - Everywhere you turn there are posters showing the university and businesses always cater to that. The one thing I find unusual about UF is the fact that we have E instead of F for a failing grade. I will always remember my experience the summer of 2007 studying abroad in Berlin for photojournalism - LOVED it.

UF is actually very diverse - Students wear all sorts of things from sports wear to sweats to jeans and shirts to just professional work clothes. I even see older adults on campus who are going back to school for their degree now. Many students come to UF on Bright Futures and are from Florida. Sometimes they even have prepaid so they are well off financially. I see politically, students are divided up evenly between conservative and liberal. And YES everyone is always talking about how much money they will make.

Ok, UF is a wonderful school with many opportunities - BUT I do feel like some of the policies are pretentious like the E grades and also, making certain events open only to specific groups. If a business class holds a study abroad session and I want to go and learn about it, I think I should be able to. But that is just me ranting.

RUB and ACCENT are very popular on campus. I am involved with the photography club, Exposure, and relatively new so I noticed the group has not gained much "exposure" yet. UF has guest speakers often. Dr. Kevorkian came in January and John Kerry came in the Fall. I go to the theatre often, we have a few of them. I met my closest friends in class, but dating wise I meet people by going downtown to the clubs. I live off campus and have a car so I can do a lot on the weekends. Go to a friend's house, see a movie, eat out with someone and every year there are things like art festivals and medieval fair and even downtown I have fun though I do not drink.

I do not think UF students are stuck up, but I do think we have lots of anxiety about grades. I think it is for good reason, since we are trying to be as ready for the professional world as possible at graduation time.

Only a couple of my professors know my name. My favorite class right now is Ori2000 Interpretation of Literature. I get to act in it and portray characters that help me become a better speaker. My least favorite is Microeconomics Eco2023. It is wayyy to big and I don't understand how it can help me in journalism. Class participation is common among smaller classes. My major, photojournalism, is really challenging. I do however try to get my professors mentor me outside of class so I can get better at it. I feel that UF education is geared for learning and less for getting a job. The requirements for my major sometimes have nothing to do with journalism and I am sometimes afraid I won't graduate on time.

That UF students are stuck up. That UF students have more anxiety because of academic policies set forth.

Angela

Football - How hard it is to change a major - just right - they think it's a great school - the library - college town - administration sucks - dont tase me bro - yes - i guess, like the underwear dash - winning the national championships in bball and football - that the administration doesnt care about the students

this campus is generally open to these groups - idk, one that doesnt get involved in anything - jeans and a shirt - yes - greeks, engineers, freshmen, and a group of anti-greeks

yes - history classes are fun but hard. spanish classes are horrible here - students study enough to get by - sometimes - yes - yes - my women's sexuality course - i hate my major/departmetn it's really disorganized - no - some are ridiculous - both, depending on the major

sororities and fraternities, bball, football - sorority - no - very popular - it's hard to date here - some online, some in greek life, some through other friends - talking online or drinking - homecoming - all the time - important - drank too much - see movies, hang with friends, go bowling - i live off campus, so almost everything

Drink all the time, have sex all the time, stuck up, smart

ali

U.F. is like a great big family. I think it is just the right size. People are impressed when I tell them that I go to UF because it is a hard school to get into. I don't spend much time on campus. Yes, it is a college town. There is a ridiculous amount of school pride, it's great!

I don't think anyone would feel out of place at U.F. Many different types of students interact.

Professors in some classes know my name. My favorite class is my acting class. Students study a lot! Class participation is a huge part of most courses.

Caitlen

The Plaza of Americas is amazing. Just go and watch the people in there. It will truely show you why you want to be at a bigger University. It is part of the experience.

No, not at all. Most of my professors learn my name within the first few weeks. You have to introduce yourself and speak up in class but if you do that there is no way they won't know your name over the 5 mon. semester. Yes it is true that some classes are huge but you just need to do your research and find the classes that fit your comfort level. History is a great major to have smaller classes.

It is so big no professor will know your name.

Students at the University seem to be a little seperated in terms of Greek and nongreek. It is ok for the most part and being Greek I absolutly love my soriority. I believe it is something worth experiencing but I know it isn't for everyone. People just need to keep in mind that is doesn't make you better or worst than the next person. The problem I encounter the most is that people who are non-Greek believe people who are party all the time. I dont like to party until wee hours of the morning and I like to have fun but I don't drink. My favorite activites are off-roading and going to the movies. Just remeber to always keep an open mind and dont lump people together into one group.

Some of the professors are horrible. They are under developed professionaly and therefore have a hard time teaching properly. However, some of them are amazing. You have to do your research and ask around to find out which professors know what they are doing.

Monica

The best thing about UF is the campus! It is absolutley beautiful!! At first it seems way too big. like you'll be carrying around your map for the rest of your life, but you learn the campus pretty quick (and discover shortcuts!) Of course our athletics are of the wall!! There is nothing like gameday in the perfect college town! Campus is packed with orange and blue Saturdays in the fall. The energy is perfect, i have never seen anything like it. The Swamp (the football field) is electric once that game starts. It echos and vibrates with the voices of crazy fans, students and non-students alike come together to pump up the gators. The school pride is so apparent the second you even get near campus. Students are decked in school colors everyday of the week! That is by far the best part of being a part of what is truley the gator nation. On campus, besides my residence hall, I spend most of my time in or around the Hub. It's a food court/study center where alot of people and athletes go to eat and hang out inbetween campus. When i tell people I go to UF they are awed. They treat me with the utmost respect and usually ask how many times I see Tim Tebow (no lie!). It is defineatley a very respect universtiy all around the country.

I don't think any student will feel out of place at UF unless they are socially awkward. The best thing is to not take students too seriously, alot of people are very very nice, and alot of people are very very sarcastic. Diffrent students definately do interact. Most students dress pretty casuallly to class. Sweatpants, jeans, t-shirts. Nothing too fancy. There is pleanty of places to go to dress up in the night time. There are alot of wealthy people that go to UF. Most of the student in the dining halls are freshmen or sophomores. Upperclassmen except athlets don't really eat in the dining halls because they don't live on campus. Studetns are very politically aware but don't really talk about it unless it's near election time.

Athletic event are the most popular things on campus. The energy just completly changes when its a game day. SO MUCH FUN! I'm in an area government for my dorm and i hate it. They take the most random ridiculous things so seriously and it's not worth the time. If your into politics, join student government. If you were in student government in high school and are looking for something similar to do in college but didn't relly take HS too seriously, DO NOT DO AN AREA GOVERNMENT! It's crap. i met my closest friends in my dorm. I think all first year students shoul live in the dorm. There is nothing like dorm life. It's awesome!!!! That is for sure worth it.Greek life is pretty important. Better are your chances to stay involve and get more positions on campus if you are greek. You can def. live without it if it's not your thing but if you want to do it, do it. If your unsure it's also worth it to get a feel of college life without that added strees/excitement too see if you really want to do it. Not something to jump into if your unsure.

Professors do not know my name but TA's do. It all depends on the student's effort though. If you make an effort to get the professor to know your name, they most likely will. Show up to class, sit in the front, go to office hours. My favorite class at UF so far is American History with Dr. Morser. He is hands down the best professor I've had. He is so passionate about the subject he teaches that he makes you interested in his lecture and we all know american history is not the most captivating subject! Students are very competeitve but in a sneaky way so you have to watch out. UF students do have intellectual conversations outside of class especially around Turlington, thats where most of the political campaigns take place and it's very open free speech there. They don't always talk aboout intellectual things though. My major (public relations) is in the college of journalism and communications. They are always willing to help you and never too busy for any student. Its a very hopping building and clos to the union. The advisors are always emailing their students with scholorship,internship, and club information.

Very smart, yes. Boring? Sometimes.

Mary

Personally, the major downside of UF was its size. I've always gone to a small school, so coming to UF was a big transition for me. But UF provides LOTS of opportunities for students to get involved and meet people. I spend most of my time on campus at library west or marston science library for sure. UF's administration is definitely amazing. The fact that they can keep all these students straight, and keep on top of things is unbelievable. The most recent controversy on campus was the tasering of a student at the John Kerry speech. The one thing I think UF is most known for is their pride. The gator nation is everywhere, right? I'll never forget how my first year here we won two national championships- that will always be unforgettable to me.

One of the reasons i like Uf so much is the variety of people on campus. You can always find someone like you, or even just meet other types of people. I think. I honestly don't think anyone can feel left out here. There is SO much variety in what people wear, ive seen everything from pajamas to professional work outfits. Different types of students interact when they are in class or if they are in a certain organization, but i dont think they interact much outside of those two times. most students are from the greater miami area or orlando.

Big party school, but the students are definitely committed to their school work- so i guess party hard, and work hard

you guys pretty much covered it all!

Professors don't know my name, but the TA's do. I really like Marketing, my least favorite class right now is anthropology. Students study ALOT here. Class participation is really big here. Students sometimes have intellectual conversations outside of class, probably most of the time in the library when they are studying with others though.

yes, somewhat. I definitely realized that not as many people party as i thought. And a lot of them work harder than i thought also.

Greek life is definitely most popular. I'm involved in the Springs Area government. We host events for the residents and try to get them to know one another. Students in my dorm left their doors open. Athletic events are VERy popular, as well as guest speakers. I dont think theater is AS popular. I met my closest friends on my floor in my dorm last year. If im awake at 2am on a tues, im doing homework. (or procrastinating)One downside of Uf is how prevalent greek life is. Sometimes i feel like since I'm not in a sorority im missing out. But i know its not for me, and i still feel pressured to be in one. That kind of bothers me, cause they are everywhere. For a saturday night with no drinking, you can go out to dinner, go to the movies, local bands play downtown, sometimes there are plays, camping, lots of things!

University of Florida administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.