University of Florida

« See more reviews of University of Florida

Students at UF are very tolerant toward each other. Everyone I've met is different in their own regard, and I feel that people respect each other for it. I see different kinds of people hang out together. That's because the school is just so big and it's really a melting pot of different cultures. It doesn't feel like a small town in North Central Florida! I have friends from all over the state, as well as the world. I have friends from China, India, Europe, South America...I have friends from Massachusetts, friends from California, Hawaii, Michigan, and yes, Florida too. I love it! The school's atmosphere is very relaxing to me. Everyone wears jeans and flip flops. Sometimes you see people go to class in their pajamas, but it's not that common...at least I've not seen it that often. Not only is there a really big mix of students as far as culture, but there's also a big mix with regard to socio-economic statuses amongst students. I'm not well off at all. But I do have friends who are. I think everyone just tends to get along, regardless of how much money you have (or don't have). Everyone's just cool like that. Not to say you won't encounter jerks, because you will, they exist everywhere. But most people I'd say are really chill and are very friendly and positive. I think the school has a good strong political activity. Some students just get fired up. Others don't mind having a clean discussion regarding current events. I'd say there's a good mix between the right and left at the school, but in comparison to where I come from, I think the school is a bit more conservative politically-speaking. Students definitely talk about they expect to make. It is business school! The school has an excellent career center, and they have career fairs and activities all the time on campus. They bring in many prestigious companies to come and interview our students pretty frequently, and that's why I think people talk about future potential salaries so much.

Most students at UF are from within Florida. There aren't many out of staters. In fact, I've met more international students than out of state students. I feel like the student body is very diverse. There are people from every region of the world. As far as being diverse in their thinking, I'm not quite sure. There are many different racial, religious, LGBT, and etc. groups on campus but...Gainesville isn't very diverse in its own population. It's very much southern. There are a LOT of christian groups on campus. They are always flyering in Turlington Plaza and stuff. I mean, it's not much of a big deal...but it does exist. With that being said though, UF itself is a very welcoming university. The student body is eager to help each other and everyone is always looking for a new friend. I've had many warm conversations with strangers on the buses or common reactions to things going on around campus. Most girls wear anything between sweats and a tee to full makeup, skirts, and jewelry to class. Guys are usually wearing jeans and a t shirt. Frat guys, specifically, will always be in sperry's, shorts, and a button up or tee shirt. I don't think students are very politically aware as a whole. There are student groups and clubs and occasional petitions or rallys, but aside from the students in those groups, I don't see the student body itself being very political.

The University of Florida is just one big melting pot of diversity. My eyes were opened when I finally left my small high school and met students of all ethnicities, religions, and cultures. The majority of students that I have met are from other parts of Florida, but a few are out of state students as well. No student would feel left out here because they're is a place for everyone in such a dynamic school. Most students dress nicely when going to class and those who are older make even greater attempts at looking presentable for their classes are much smaller and professors are more likely to notice a student that is well put together. Students of all types interact and there is very little to no segregation amongst the student body. This can be applied to the dining hall as well, for there are always new freshmen and other students trying to make friends. I don't usually hear of students talking about their own personal finances too much because I believe it is more of a private matter. Politically speaking the students at the University of Florida are moderately aware. Most of the students still tend to side with their parents when it comes to politics, but when they become more aware their opinions begin to change. The political party distribution has been half and half amongst students as well.

UF has a diverse student body. I've met many different types of people, but a few types are predominant. As a business student, I think that a lot of Greeks are in my classes. I don't enjoy that culture. I'm distraught that so many college kids are following the example of the fools on reality tv shows, who think their social and dating lives are of utmost importance, that it's crucial to have the cutest clothes and the latest handbags and talk in that ditsy, mind-numbing manner. On the other end of the spectrum are the hippies. I like hippies, they tend to think a little farther outside the box, which I think is really important. The other significant group of people I meet are Hispanics. There are SO many Cubans, and other Hispanic people at UF. Many of them I think are excellent students and well qualified, but some I think are lazy and not that intelligent. At my own high school, several unqualified Hispanic students were accepted to UF over other white, well qualified students. This makes me think that UF favors hispanics when admitting new students. I also went to Santa Fe CC for one semester. I made friends much easier there. Perhaps the people are less competitive, more laid back, or less busy and have more time to hang out. I'm not really sure.

I have a variety of friends. I am very involved with my sorority, which puts me into contact with 200 people I may have never had the opportunity to know. I am also LGBT, which is very big on UF's campus. Almost every week, there is a different LGBT-related event going on. As a Jew, the Hillel and Chabad are very good places to become acquainted with as well. I don't think too many students would feel out of place here. I believe there is a niche for everyone. The school is very multicultural and ethnically diverse. Most students wear casual wear to class or workout clothes, nothing fancy. Different types of students interact, but I would say that Greeks tend to stick to themselves and not branch out. Most students are from Florida, if you are an out-of-state student it is best to try and meet people through living in dorms or joining clubs of your interest. Financial backgrounds vary. I wouldn't say students are extremely poor, but more middle class. Some students are politically aware, some are not at all. Being that it is a big school, there are a variet of political identities, but students tend to me more left than right. Students strive and don't really talk about earning the big bucks, but rather, loving what they do in the future.

As i previously mentioned, UF's campus is extremely diverse. I've had the opportunity to interact with all kinds of people which is unique to UF. No student would feel out of place here, with 50,000 students your bound to find friends. Alot of students dressed comfortably for class- tshirts and workout shorts, or prissy sorority girls dress prim and proper. Four tables in dining hall- Greeks, Pre Meds, Liberal Arts Students, and the black fraternaites/spanish groupies. You can't really dictate where most students are from- i find that alot of students are from south florida or jacksonville. All kinds of financial backgrounds are seen, depending where you do. If you go greek- students tend to be of higher income, students who live oncampus other than freshman year tend to be of lower income. Politically speaking the campus is diverse, although I tend to see more liberal students and faculty. You hear more from democrat students and controversial topics than conservative.

There is lots of cultural diversity here on campus! I can't think of a single group of people who would not be able to connect with individuals of similar values, beliefs or lifestyle. There are many clubs and organizations that were created just to connect people of different cultures, religious beliefs, and international groups. Students do interact with one another, whether through class or study groups and many to socialize outside of the academic setting. A large majority of the students here are from the state of Florida, but I have a few friends who come from out of state or from other countries. I don't feel like their college experiences have been diminished in any way because of where they came from though! Many students here are financially aware of their circumstances now and their financial goals for the future. Many students are becoming doctors, lawyers and dentists for the sole purpose of making a good living. Many also aren't.

The students at my school are incredibly diverse. While it is well known that a large portion of UF's students are from South Florida it doesn't affect the overall diversity of the school because South Florida itself is very diverse. I've had classes with people that coincidentally lived within 4 blocks of my home in Miami and I've had classes with international students from all over the world. The good thing about UF is that there is a place for everyone; with so many organizations and clubs it's difficult to not find at least one appealing. There are religious organizations with megaphones and crosses standing alongside the occasional domino players and fraternities tabling for pledges. The diversity of our students is something I am genuinely proud of but at the end of the day we are all one family. We come together at our highly popular sporting events proudly wearing orange and blue.

One of my favorite aspects about the University of Florida is its highly diverse student population. However, no matter how diverse it seems that everyone is very respectful and tolerating of each other. There are numerous LGBT groups and campaigns on campus as well as in the city of Gainesville. There seems to be an equal representation of Democrats and Republicans, but often times the various political groups on campus work together to achieve the same goals. As far as race is concerned, there is definitely a fair amount of students from India, China, and Asia and often times they stick together. The same thing goes for many of the sorority girls. However, the other roughly 75% of students all mingle and interact with each other. Students come from all different financial backgrounds and I never hear students discussing their financial goals yet they often talk about their career goals.

There is a lot of diversity in the student body at UF, so I don't feel that anyone would feel out of place. Whatever you are (race, religion, sexuality, etc.) you can find an organization for it in which you can meet others like you. What students wear to class varies a lot, some wear extremely casual wear (sweat pants, hoodies, etc.) and others dress up nicely with heels and nice jewelry (etc.), so it really depends on the person, nothing would really be out of place. In my experience, most students are from Florida, though are a few from other states as well as other countries. The main places people seem to be from are South Florida (the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area), Orlando, and Tampa. Students of different backgrounds definitely interact with each other, whether in classes or through organizations. Some students are politically active and some are not, it really depends on the person.