University of Florida

« See more reviews of University of Florida

the great thing about UF is that its pretty culturally diverse (even if the rest of gainesville and alachua county isnt) and i think most people would feel comfortable here. academic prowess and SAT scores seem to be more stratifying factors that skin color. the student body is so large that anyone could find a niche here. being the flagship university of the state means that we get a lot of money and i think a lot of students may benefit from that though scholarships and stuff. going to school in florida is so cheap so even if you come from a poorer background, you can probably afford live in gainesville. living costs in gainesville are less than many other locations in florida and that also adds to the affordability of attending UF. the activist student population seems pretty, well, active. there is always a petition or protest especially behing the reitz.

I can't imagine a student feeling out of place at UF. I think every racial, SES, political, religious, and ethnic minority is decently represented. The Greek system is pretty active, but there are plenty who aren't in a frat or sorority. It seems like the biggest geographic region that sends students to UF is Miami/Ft. Lauderdale/Coral Springs. But since those areas are pretty diverse, too-- lots of Cubans, Puerto Ricans, and Jews, yes, but also lots of non-Hispanic immigrants, too, and a surprising contingent of rednecks. (I blame Redwood). Compared to other schools I've been to (Small liberal arts in the Deep South), UF has more cross-clique interaction, more diversity, and the students are less materialistic. Political viewpoints well-represented, but generally pretty liberal.

You can meet any type of person while walking around UF's campus. With about 50,000 students, there really is no generic "Florida Gator" student I could describe. You could meet someone who is completely "Greek orientated" meaning they are 100% involved in their fraternity or sorority, frequently sport the ever popular frat tank, and are seen out on the town most nights of the week. On the other hand, there are a number of diverse students whether it be culturally, sexually, or even financially. UF loves the phrase "The Gator Nation is everywhere." By this, UF boasts that anywhere you look you can find someone who attended this university. I take this quote to mean that any kind of person can be a Florida Gator, the Swamp never discriminates.

Even though I cannot compare to another student body on another college campus, I have found in my time here that our campus is incredibly diverse and open. There are student groups for almost every racial minority and religious group you can imagine, and over 700 groups in all. I feel like there is a place for everyone to feel comfortable with the number of students who live and study here. The campus, overall, is very friendly. There is a fair level of interaction between students daily, and none of my encounters with other students have been particularly negative. There are certainly diverse ethnic and financial backgrounds represented here, but I feel that most people handle there differences appropriately.

I don't believe that anyone could feel out of place here there is so much diversity, racially, sexually, religiously, etc. that anyone can find their own niche where they can fit in. It would be almost impossible not to. Most students wear gym clothes or other worse for the wear clothing because most students here don't really care too much about appearances. Of course there are certain factions of the student body that do care, such as those who are part of a sorority or fraternity on campus. But most don't care about what they look like when they are going to class or studying. The financial background that I see is most prevalent would have to range from working class to middle to upper middle class.

My classmates are all individuals who strive to excel in every way possible in class. They demonstrate superior behavior toward their studies and are all helpful to anyone who may not grasp the concept right away. Their attitude expresses a yearning for learning as they have great focus on their respective studies. Outside of the classroom they are still representing the true Gator spirit, one which is characterized by being well motivated not only in class, but demonstrating a great character in itself as being a good person overall is what being part of the Gator Nation is all about.

The word “competition” is an understatement for vultures that make a ring around their prey to the violence of Mozart’s Symphony No. 25 in G minor; thus commencing in a hasty beat without warning illustrating hearts pounding, excitement brought upon by new food that provides an opportunity to boost self-esteem through success; yet later coming to a slower tempo, such which allows all to descend gracefully, providing an chance to observe and measure one another’s strengths and weaknesses to see who can feed off the most by using witty tactics to either manipulate or scare off others.

Students that feel out of place at UF are those that come in without many friends and that do not like the party scene. In my experiences, I have felt that it is very hard to meet people I would consider close friends because I don't enjoy going out and partying. In 50,000 people it is very hard to meet friends if you are not outgoing. Most students at UF are from Florida. The financial backgournd, atleast form my experiences, seems be most are from upper middle class, and what you would call somewhat spoiled. Students at UF seem to be predominantly left.

I fell that LGBTQ issues are not covered as carefully as they should be. Instead, LGBTQ affairs are more of a pandering toward students who associate themselves with such an identity. Student interaction is a bit clique-y, but the student government, in trying to get votes for the ruling party has catered and pandered to the needs of different societies and cultural groups without ever truly empowering the non-white greek male (look at Student body presidents; it's always a black male and/ or female as VP or treasurer, rather than as president).

One of the reasons i like Uf so much is the variety of people on campus. You can always find someone like you, or even just meet other types of people. I think. I honestly don't think anyone can feel left out here. There is SO much variety in what people wear, ive seen everything from pajamas to professional work outfits. Different types of students interact when they are in class or if they are in a certain organization, but i dont think they interact much outside of those two times. most students are from the greater miami area or orlando.