University of Florida

« See more reviews of University of Florida

Everyone is a nerd at the University of Florida. People are constantly studying between classes and at the library. Students use the library so frequently that this spring the main library will be open 24 hours. Class sizes are large though, with 250 plus in most of my classes so participation is a minimum. I make a point to know the names of my professors, however most students are not as concerned, they simply go to class and take the tests without even knowing the gender of the professor. Since the school is elite it is competitive but more in involvement than in academics.

Your first semester is going to be overwhelming just because probably all your classes are going to be lecture halls and you're not really going to get to know your professor at all since the classes are probably 200+ but that being said you should definitely take advantage of going to office hours and getting some one on one time with your professors. As you progress in your major classes get smaller until finally your professor is going to know your name. Students are always studying here, all the Libraries are always full so it's definitely a competitive environment.

I know all of my professors by name, and have talked with them frequently as I am a graduate student. Communication is key and having that open line between student and faculty is important the higher up you go in education. As a graduate student, I have learned that everyone is competitive, since there is limited room for error and limited spots for advancement. I study daily and continuously am working towards bettering my grades. Many of my friends in other majors do the same, and we frequently discuss what we are learning in our different classes.

Some professors know my name. My favorite class is a random education class I am taking, it's really interesting! Least favorite was general psychology. Students study habits change frequently due to the classes they are taking and the tests they have. Yes class participation is common. Yes they have intellectual conversations outside the classroom. Students are very competitive. History of American Education. My major is psychology. No I don't spend time with professors out of the classroom. The academic requirements are fine. It's geared toward both.

Professors associated with my major know my name. My favorite class is reproductive physiology. My least favorite class is physics. Students are extremely competitive. My major is animal sciences, and I think it is a very comfortable atmosphere. Most are very friendly and encouraging. I feel that the education is geared toward learning, but that can sometimes be a disadvantage because teachers sometimes act as though their class should be your most important class, and make it very hard to do well in their class and your other classes.

Classes at Uf are no joke. You must read and do what is required to pass your classes. It iss very different from the high schhol days when you can blow things off and assume you would still do fine. Professors offer office hours and sometimes it is necessary to go there as you may not be allowed to ask questions in class. There are a lot if general education requirements that ensure you become a well rounded student and majors at Uf ensures a great futur for you. There are courses that give you work experience and internships.

Classes are quite large your Freshman year as there is a large enrollment but as you move long your path in your studies of our major the classes become much smaller and more student oriented with a lot of teacher and student involvement. The university is highly regarded academically. The student body is very competitive as many of the people that are accepted are among the top of their classes in high school. The career resource center helps students incredible amounts in attaining internships and job opportunities.

I am a pre-vet student taking science classes - so most of my professors donot know my name as it is mostly large auditorium classes. students are very competitive GPA wise and most students study a lot. most professors have 'clickers' where they can get feedback from students or ask students questions etc. my favorite classes are my science classes as that is what im most interested in, i do not like having to have mandatory writing classes as i do not like writing very much.

The University of Florida is considered to be the best public university in the state of Florida. Several of the university's programs, including its Ciollege of Journalism and Communications, are ranked in the top tier nationally. The University of Florida's law school is also very highly ranked. As the sixth-largest university in the nation, classes are sometimes quite large with 700 students or more in some introductory-level courses.

The academics I'd say are the main reason most people are here--for a top quality education. Because this is a large place, alot of the classes are large or even web-based. However, you can definitely get to know your professors by utilizing office hours, reviews, etc. The courses are challenging, but mostly do-able. Once you declare a major and become more involved in your individual college, the experience becomes even more rewarding.