University of Florida

« See more reviews of University of Florida

i've had one or two small classes which are pretty awesome the teachers actually care about their classes. in the big lecture classes you generally just get screwed over by the teachers. sometimes we talk about stuff from classes.

The academics are wonderful. I have learned so much. I'm in Sociology and I've learned a lot about gender inequality, class, race, and about social psychology. Faculty is very helpful and are passionate about what they teach.

I think the academics are fair. Some classes are harder than others, but overall I think the Professors are very reasonable. If you do your work, read your readings, and study what you're supposed to study, you will get As.

The academics here are hard but worth it. I may not always get A's but when i finish a class, i leave that class knowing the information and material i was meant to learn.

Starting answering!The classes are not that hard if you put some efford into it ,except for some hardcore classes that are hard because they have a lot of material but.

Academics can be tough but time management and organization is a key component for succeeding in college.

I would say classes are rigorous but if you study and most importantly go to class you should be fine.

I think that professor that like teaching will teach but those that like research will avoid it.

Everyone knows the university of florida is a prestigious school!

Being an English major, my professors get to know my name a lot more than other classes. My classes are generally 30ish people, so the intimacy factor is there. I have been in class with an upwards of 600 people in them before. If you have a good TA in those classes, you can have a good bond with your instructors, however that is purely up to chance. The English department offers so many cool classes. My favorite courses have definitely been the children's literature classes. They are so interesting and definitely off of the expected path of English literature. I've thoroughly enjoyed all of my English classes though and the freedom that the professors have in choosing their topics gives the students an awesome selection to choose from as well. I spend a lot of time doing my reading for English classes, averages around a book a week. I have homework in my other courses and, most of the time, you can get away with not reading. More often than not, at least in my experience, professors are willing to help you with study guides or exam reviews if you ask for them. You can get out of doing a lot of the reading for classes by participating in classes. For my classes, class discussion is so important. If you don't know what you are talking about, however, you will sound like an idiot and professors will take note of it. You'd be surprised how many professors are willing to and wanting to hear from their students. Office hours are great if you use them wisely. Students here are definitely pretty competitive, especially within the various colleges and departments here. Grades are still very important to us. We do have intellectual conversations outside of the class - sometimes carrying on the conversations we had in class. I have sat in professor's office hours before and had hour long talks about the topics we cover in class on a much more personal level. If you put the time into your studies, you will definitely get a lot out of your coursework. Depending on your major and college, you get a different experience here at UF. For me, English is all about learning about the subjct and taking out of it what YOU want. In other courses, I know the courses are designed to get you hired. It depends on what your major is and how much you are willing to put into a course. If you take the time to do the work and talk to people about the subject matter, you will create an environment where you learn for learning's sake. I think most of UF can by summed up by saying: you get out of it what you put into it.