University of Florida

« See more reviews of University of Florida

The University of Florida prides itself on its academic success. Although there are a large amount of auditorium style classes for the general topics, once you start to take classes towards your major and other specific topics the professors are very personable and know your name along with other things about you. It helps a lot when you need to address them before or after class or even in their office hours. I am a Family, Youth and Community Science major and my favorite course that I have taken so far is called Methods of Family Life Education. In this course I learned the foundations of being a diverse and effective teacher. On the other hand my least favorite course was statistics. It wasn't that the instructor was bad. She was in fact a very good one, I personally was not interested in the course. At UF, studying is visible everywhere you go. Off of my own observations and my own habits, I would say that students spend between 14-17 hours a week studying. In our classes you can always find an avenue to discuss and validate material. Most professors help to facilitate these discussions in order to enhance their students' knowledge on the topics. There are also numerous projects and opportunities to get involved in and outside of the classroom. For example, outside of the classroom you can carry in conversations with your peers to help you further understand or present new ideas. I have personally met with other students to talk about content or even study together which is a big help. Although there is a sense of family, you will also encounter some students that are competitive for grades and the professors' attention but that is only a small group. The most unique class that I have taken so far is called World of Water. In this class we learned about how water affects us in our everyday life. I am not a big science person but I learned a lot in this class and it made me understand, appreciate and better conserve the water around us. Although the requirements to get into and remain in the University are quite competitive, I think that it is very fitting for the environment in which you will enter. I can honestly say that the education that you will obtain at the University of Florida will be geared towards you getting you dream job and for you to become an overall better individual. You will leave here feeling prepared to take on whatever career you please while knowing that you will be happy.

This semester all of my professors know my name, but I'm taking unusually small classes. I take a lot of honors courses, which are kept at 25 students per class. But it isn't necessarily the norm to have your professors here know your name, no. My favorite class was this political science class on varying ideologies. The professor was AMAZING. Actually, I won a small scholarship writing about how he and that class changed my perception. Students surprisingly study a lot here--as can be noted by the extraordinary lack of breathing room and parking spots in and around the library (respectively) this time of year (it's finals week). Students are competitive in their own ways. There are a lot of people here so it isn't like everyone is racing to be a valedictorian or graduate first in their class of...um...ten thousand students. But it is competitive in that a lot of us strive to do well. I've taken a statistical analysis class that using poker to demonstrate concepts. It was a good class. Also, my forensic science class is out-of-this-world cool. Our professor is a pretty well-known forensic entomologist, and everything he says just blows my mind. My major...is kind of filled with a lot of pretentious assholes. Not gonna lie. No, I don't see a lot of my professors out of class, really. I think UF's academic requirements are pretty standard. My personal education here has been a lot about learning for its own sake. I am currently taking all electives...nothing for my majors or for the fulfillment of any requirements. But I think that might be somewhat looked down on here, yea. I had to declare a double-major to avoid being forced by an advisor to graduate before I was ready to end my education, if that says anything to anyone about the priorities here. To be fair, there are, like I said before, money issues.

Since I've only completed two semesters at UFL most of the classes that I've taken are in big lecture halls with up 650 other students. In classes that big it's impossible for a professor to know your name. However, in the small classes I've taken, such as the two english courses and the First Year Florida class Professors did know me by name. My favorite class so far has been ENC1102 because my professor required creativity in his students. He geared the class more towards writing for a major, which I feel is important, compared to writing in general. I was required to write a research paper, dealing with my major, of my choice. My least favorite class was First Year Florida, I didn't find the information given in class helpful and it was alot of work outside of class for one credit hour. Class participation is common especially in smaller classes, but some participation can be seen in the other larger classes as well. It's actually surprising to see that students commonly do have intellectual conversations outside of class. I've found that students are personally ambitious and want to succeed but not neccessarily competitive as in wanting to be better than someone else. I'm a political science and I've taken two classes offered by the department so far and I really enjoyed them both. The CLAS has reasonable requirements for Poltical Science majors. However, I would prefer to not have to take so many science courses because when you add the two bilogical and two physical sciences plus a lab you end up with 13 science credits that just feel like a waste of time. The classes I've taken so far seem to be geared more towards actually learning and not focused on getting a job, although some of the things learned could be transfered into the workforce.

UF has some of the best facilities and resources available and i'm lucky to be apart of that. Many of my professors know my name. But if I find myself among hundreds of others in a huge lecture hall, I understand that the professor might not remember exactly who I am. Im fine with this and just try to look at it as a positive experience: I may be one of a couple hundred, but at least i'm lucky enough to sit here in front of this great teacher. Class participation is expected but I feel, even if it wasn't, students would still feel comfortable stating their thoughts. Everyone at UF is here because they are bright, forward-thinking individuals who like to think and like to share their views. Even outside the classroom, students have intellectual conversations. Students are UF are competitive in the respect that everyone is bright and motivated. But its not as if you're constantly gunning to outshine the person sitting next to you. The most unique class i've been in is 'Plants, Gardening, and You'. It is also my favorite. Personally, i have never felt the need to meet with professors outside of class. I do, however, know a lot of people who do. I know that professors always make themselves available to students who might need out-of-class assistance. The education at UF is top rate and is not driven by the idea that one HAS to focus solely on what is going to get them a successful career right after graduation. One thing I like about UF is that the people here like learning. So, yes i'm going to take an assortment of classes and learn for learnings sake.But I also know that, once ive finished the curriculum i'm going to leave prepared for whatever career path I have chosen.

I have had great experiences with my classes at the University of Florida. I have had very large classes, as well as very small classes. My professors will know my name if I want them to. In other words, if you introduce yourself to them and visit them during their office hours, then they will take the time to get to know you. However, if you never contact them, then they will not know you by name. I am a pre-pharmacy, health science major. Therefore, I tend to study quite often. The main library on campus is always very popular. Class participation is very common in all of my classes. Professors like to get input from the class, instead of just standing in front and lecturing all the time. I find that this makes classes much more interesting. My major involves a lot of class participation. Health Science is a major in the Public Health and Health Professions College at UF. It focuses on all aspects of health: from the science aspects to the way our health care system in the United States works. This semester I am taking a class on leadership and therapeutic communication for my major. I personally do not spend much time with my professors outside of class. However, my boyfriend, who is a creative photography major, spends a great deal of time with his professors outside of school. I feel that the education at this school is very heavily geared toward getting a job or preparing for further education after undergraduate school. UF wants to prepare its students for what comes next.

I love my smaller journalism classes. My design classes are based around projects and while there is some lecturing it is really hands on. Photojournalism is always really interesting and Mr. Freeman really knows how to inspire his students. It's impressive to me what a qualified photojournalist he is and how much knowledge he has about the subject. Teachers make an effort to have class participation. My least favorite classes have been math and science classes. They aren't as hands on. Luckily my general education classes are out of the way. I feel like the journalism classes are really trying to prepare you for a job. I feel like the material is most likely something i will use again in my job or for another class. It's nice to know that i'm not wasting time in class filling my brain with knowledge i'll never use. I feel like my design teacher Renee Kratzer is always available and eager to talk. She is really intersted in the jobs we plan on pursuing in the future and she is excited for us. She is very good at constructive criticism and teaches us that design is a creative process and not a science. She encourages us to look at each others work and i am always excited for the class. Classes like International relations feel like it's more learning for the sake of learning, but it's also things that apply to real life which is interesting.

Yes, the University of Florida is definitely daunting in terms of academics. I have managed to be on the Dean's List since my first semester at UF (I'm currently a Junior in my sixth semester), which of course is not easy or light feat. At the same time, it is in no way impossible. Students should feel as though they have every opportunity to achieve at UF. Big classrooms of over 100 students can be intimidating, and oftentimes smaller classes in which the professor knows his/her students' names can be even more nerve racking. However, professors usually are accommodating, are there to help you in and outside of the classroom, and want to see you excel. Students can be competitive, like at any other prestigious university, but I've never seen it escalate to unhealthy levels. Stress, however, is incredibly common, and I have experienced that escalate to unhealthy levels, but I am sure it is not unlike the behavior of students at like universities. Being a psychology major, I really appreciate my department, the amount I have learned, and the UF Counseling and Wellness Center. The CWC is always there to help students manage their stress and provide useful tools such as Biofeedback training and encouragement (for free).

Some of my teachers know my name; they are mostly TAs. My other classes, though, are large lectures, and teachers do not know my name except through E-mail. My favorite class is HSC2100 - Human Sexuality & Culture. It's very interesting, and I truly learn something new and interesting every lecture. Students study quite a bit. I feel that the students here are very dedicated to their school work. Class participation is common in discussions, but not really in large lecture halls. Students talk about intellectual topics outside of class. I talk about politics, the upcoming elections and other issues with my friends. Personally, I am a competitive student, but I'm not sure if other students feel the same way. The most unique class I've taken is my Human Sexuality class. My major is Public Relations which is a part of the College of Journalism & Communications. I do not spend time with professors outside of class. I think UF's academic requirements match the calibre of its students. Education at UF is a combination of learning for its own sake and for getting a job. Classes teach you things that are geared toward a career as well as things that make you a more well-rounded and knowledgable individual.

Professors do not know my name but TA's do. It all depends on the student's effort though. If you make an effort to get the professor to know your name, they most likely will. Show up to class, sit in the front, go to office hours. My favorite class at UF so far is American History with Dr. Morser. He is hands down the best professor I've had. He is so passionate about the subject he teaches that he makes you interested in his lecture and we all know american history is not the most captivating subject! Students are very competeitve but in a sneaky way so you have to watch out. UF students do have intellectual conversations outside of class especially around Turlington, thats where most of the political campaigns take place and it's very open free speech there. They don't always talk aboout intellectual things though. My major (public relations) is in the college of journalism and communications. They are always willing to help you and never too busy for any student. Its a very hopping building and clos to the union. The advisors are always emailing their students with scholorship,internship, and club information.

Most of my professors know my name. There are a couple of larger classes (anywhere from 300 to 600 students) where a professor doesn't. My favorite class so far is probably the one I'm in right now, Intro to Poetry (CRW1301) because there is no pressure of ABC grading on every little thing and we get to freely discuss our work and the work of great poets in a safe, intimate setting of only 17 students and one teacher. My least favorite was biology; it was too big and impersonal of a class that required you to know the most trivial and unimportant things -- when it was a BEGINNING biology class. Students sometimes have intellectual conversations outside of class. And they certainly are competitive. Most students will do whatever it takes to get an A. The most unique class I've take is the CRW1301 class I mentioned before. It's the only class I've ever taken (since kindergarten) that I've actually been able to enjoy and not worry so much about the grade. We get to thoroughly enjoy and appreciate great poets and even each other's works.