University of Florida

« See more reviews of University of Florida

Professors here do not know your name unless you make a point of pestering them during office hours. My favorite classes are taught in the College of Journalism and Communications, although I did have a really fun Mythology professor but she doesn't teach the course anymore. There are some students that do nothing but study, and then there are other students who do nothing but party, but the most of us fit somewhere in the middle. Classes are very competitive because students here are very smart, but I think intellectual conversations outside of class are rare. I am in the Business college, and I have never spent time with my professors outside of class. Our classes are so large that most of them are taught online, and I only see the professors during exams. Classes of less than 30 students are rare, and more in the College of Liberal Arts. I would say that the education at UF is geared toward learning about current events within each career, and seeing ways that you might use this information later on.

Academics vary at uf depending on the class size. A typical chemistry class can range from 100-250 but will break out into discussion classes of 30. Students are always studying at Library west i don't think thier has been one time when i went there and the library was empty. Uf students tend to converse about intellectual things every day. We are a research university so people are always talking and using terms that apply to their subjects of research. Students are very competitive. Everyone is trying to be on top as they should. The most unique class that i took was Cultural Diversity in The USA. I am a BFA Production design major through the school of theatre and dance. I have not spent time with any of my professors outside of classes. UFs academic requirements are a good standard and should remain as they are. Uf's education i feel is geared towarrds both getting a job and learning for its own sake it really depends on the class.

Academics at UF are what you make of them. Within limits, one could easily design a liberal arts schedule that allowed for a pretty easy sale through Undergrad. Everyone on campus knows of the basic easy A courses that you can take to round out a schedule and it is easy enough to know which professors do/don't have easy classes/tests. That being said, you will learn even in some of your easiest classes. If you leave UF not having been enlightened, you probably failed. UF does offer huge opportunities to challenge yourself. Classes that get into actual deep discussion (and students who continue the discussion outside of class) are plentiful. In a school as large as UF, there are a vast array of choices to let you really learn from all areas and not just one. UF holds the prestige to allow you to apply/get into any top graduate or professional school and has many top companies that hire from it.

yeah some of my profs know my name but not all of them. large gen ed class really annoying. there's always tons of people at the teachers not long enough office hours. the teachers are way less involved in their class and don't seem very in touch with the actual progress of their student i.e. doing something different if everyone is failing. people generally come to class alot unless you have a really awful teacher. some of the teachers and especially the TA's have accents that make them really hard to understand, i mean okay a little bit of an accent is fine but still when you can no longer understand what they say, like at all! that's not right. students study quite a bit it seems alot more than teachers give credit for sometimes. yeah i have intellectual converstations with my friends. its pretty cool if you get different majors in conversations about something

Academics at UF is an interesting topic. In most of the classes I've had so far, I was not able to have a personal relationship with my professors because the class was so big. A few, less popular classes, were smaller, but still had the big class feeling. My favorite class so far social psychology, which was good, since it relates to my major. Class participation is common in smaller classes, but not so much in bigger ones. Students here study a lot. The library is always packed, as it is a popular place to spend the late hours of the night studying. I think the education at UF is geared more toward getting a job than learning. Everything here is very structured and intense, as far as learning goes. In most of the classes I've taken, I have to try really really hard to actually learn and get a good grade at the same time.

Freshman year, many classes are between 200 and 400 students. As students move up academically, class sizes become smaller. Professors do not know students names automatically; Students must make themselves known by being active in class. A downside to academics here is that many professors were hired for research, and although they may be intelligent, they are not necessarily good at teaching the information that they know. Another downside is that many professors are tenured, and do not need to worry about performing well as teachers because they will still get paid. My major is Family, Youth, and Community Sciences; and I'm lucky because my department is small enough that I can meet with my adviser almost whenever I wish to. My classes are interesting and are preparing me for graduating.

My professors do not know my name. My favorite class is Cultural Diversity in the U.S. and my least favorite would definately be Intro to Chemistry. It feels like students are always studying. Class participation is common but in varied ways. Students are competitive in general when it comes to getting into your college's programs but in a normal class I have never seen two students compete. My major is Health Eduacation and Behavior in the College of Health and Human Performance. I'm still a freshman so I don't have much information about how they work yet. I never spend time with professors outside of class, but I feel like UF's academic requirements are legitimate. The education is definately geared toward getting a job though.

Some professors know my name. One of my favorites is human sexuality. My least favorites would be calc and pre-calc from last semester because I don't think the lectures are helpful or that the help is adequate. Class participation is not common. Yes, UF students have intellectual conversations outside of class. Yes, students are very competitive. The most unique class I've taken is human sexuality. My major is microbiology and I switched to the liberal arts department and the advisors have been great. No, I do not spend time with professors outside of class. The academic requirements are fine. I hope it's geared toward getting a job, but I'm only a freshman so I think that I'll find that out later on.

some professors know my name. my favorite class is spanish, and my least favorite class is chemistry. students study very often here. class participation is relatively common, depending on what class it is. at times, uf students have intellectual conversation outside of class, but mostly it is casual. most students are not very competitive. the most unique class i've taken so far is social problems. my major is animal sciences, and the department is very comprehensive and intricate. i do not spend time with my professors outside of class. uf's academic requirements set a veyr high standard for the students who attend. undergrad education so far is geared towards learning for its own sake.

Yes my professors know my name. I love talking to them. My favorite class is scuba (PEN1134) and my least favorite is age of dinos. Students are always studying! Academics are important to most people here. Class participation is very common. Intellectual conversations are very common. Students are extremely competitive, especially older students doing research. The most unique class I've taken is scuba. I'm a biology major in CALS. I like it but the advising office is out in the middle of nowhere. I do spend time with my professors outside of class. UF's academic requirements are strict but achievable. Education is geared toward both getting a job and learning for fun.