University of Florida Top Questions

The academics at the University of Florida are top of the class. The classes may be rigorous, but the professors definitely know what they are teaching and talking about. I know for medical school, I am getting the best medical education in the state of Florida.

Joyce

Very dynamic. Classes are 50 minutes long so they are not too long. Some of the classes you can watch them online from the comfort of your home, or you can go and sit in the classroom. Professors are approachable and they will do the best to help you. Tests are hard so you study hard but it is worth it.

Gabrielle

The academics here are hard but worth it. I may not always get A's but when i finish a class, i leave that class knowing the information and material i was meant to learn.

Evan

Top notch. Don't think you are going to get away with an easy A. And if you are premed or any sort of engineering, get ready to be put to your limits.

Arlithia

The University of Florida prides itself on its academic success. Although there are a large amount of auditorium style classes for the general topics, once you start to take classes towards your major and other specific topics the professors are very personable and know your name along with other things about you. It helps a lot when you need to address them before or after class or even in their office hours. I am a Family, Youth and Community Science major and my favorite course that I have taken so far is called Methods of Family Life Education. In this course I learned the foundations of being a diverse and effective teacher. On the other hand my least favorite course was statistics. It wasn't that the instructor was bad. She was in fact a very good one, I personally was not interested in the course. At UF, studying is visible everywhere you go. Off of my own observations and my own habits, I would say that students spend between 14-17 hours a week studying. In our classes you can always find an avenue to discuss and validate material. Most professors help to facilitate these discussions in order to enhance their students' knowledge on the topics. There are also numerous projects and opportunities to get involved in and outside of the classroom. For example, outside of the classroom you can carry in conversations with your peers to help you further understand or present new ideas. I have personally met with other students to talk about content or even study together which is a big help. Although there is a sense of family, you will also encounter some students that are competitive for grades and the professors' attention but that is only a small group. The most unique class that I have taken so far is called World of Water. In this class we learned about how water affects us in our everyday life. I am not a big science person but I learned a lot in this class and it made me understand, appreciate and better conserve the water around us. Although the requirements to get into and remain in the University are quite competitive, I think that it is very fitting for the environment in which you will enter. I can honestly say that the education that you will obtain at the University of Florida will be geared towards you getting you dream job and for you to become an overall better individual. You will leave here feeling prepared to take on whatever career you please while knowing that you will be happy.

Emma

Professors CAN know your name. In the large classes, if you talk to them and email them, they will recognize you quickly. The same goes for the smaller classes, but usually the professor makes a distinct effort to learn names in these classes. My favorite class was comparative psychology, as I mentioned earlier. My least favorite class was Chemistry 1. It was just out of my range of knowledge, didn't come naturally, and I ended up with a poor teacher. Most students study daily, and for multiple hours. It isn't like a jail cell, but it isn't just a party all day. Class participation is very common, but never forced. Usually about half of the class participates regularly, and the other half tends to be more shy and just pays attention. Students most definitely have intellectual conversations outside of class! Students are somewhat competitive. We all want to be the best, but we don't let it ruin friendships. Our competitive streak does run from academics, to sports, to clubs, etc. As a member of the Honors College, I have taken about four honors courses as a requirement. Two of those were very unique from the rest of the courses I have taken. These classes come and go often though, depending on teacher availability and such. My major is Psychology, and my minors are Education and Zoology. I've only interacted with the Psychology department, and everyone is very helpful. I do spend time with professors outside of class. I email them, talk to them, head to office hours, discuss research, etc. I feel like the academic requirements are average, like every other university. The education is geared towards BOTH getting a job in the future AND learning for the sake of learning. I love that about this university.

Piero

Classes are quite large your Freshman year as there is a large enrollment but as you move long your path in your studies of our major the classes become much smaller and more student oriented with a lot of teacher and student involvement. The university is highly regarded academically. The student body is very competitive as many of the people that are accepted are among the top of their classes in high school. The career resource center helps students incredible amounts in attaining internships and job opportunities.

Raul

Starting answering!The classes are not that hard if you put some efford into it ,except for some hardcore classes that are hard because they have a lot of material but.

Joyce

The academics are wonderful. I have learned so much. I'm in Sociology and I've learned a lot about gender inequality, class, race, and about social psychology. Faculty is very helpful and are passionate about what they teach.

Oriana

Academics are the reason the University of Florida is so well known within this state. With qualified professors, most of whom are involved in cutting edge research, you can be sure that a good education can be had. Your major usually determines your class size. Common freshmen courses and general education classes may be done auditorium size in which the professor may never know your name. However, every professor holds office hours and are prepared and willing to help with whatever problems may arise while taking their course. In terms of attendance, smaller classes usually count attendance as part of your participation grade. In larger classes professors may get a little more creative and use texting or remote systems that record when your in class. In this case, attendance leads to extra points. Students are expected to study at least three hours per credit hour. But no worries. If you choose a major you love, and courses you find interesting, every class will seem fun no matter the amount of hours needed to study.

Joshua

Everyone knows the university of florida is a prestigious school!

Katherina

Your first semester is going to be overwhelming just because probably all your classes are going to be lecture halls and you're not really going to get to know your professor at all since the classes are probably 200+ but that being said you should definitely take advantage of going to office hours and getting some one on one time with your professors. As you progress in your major classes get smaller until finally your professor is going to know your name. Students are always studying here, all the Libraries are always full so it's definitely a competitive environment.

Catherine

Classes are large here but many have some kind of lab or discussion session that let you interact with a smaller number of classmates and a Teacher's Assisstant. It is the responsibility of each person to manage their own academics. There's no one hovering over your shoulder to make sure you're studying and writing your papers but help can be provided if you are struggling. There's a huge variety of classes to take. If you want to learn about it, there's probably a class you take on it. The requirements are easy enough to get and introduce you to a wide variety of topics which is useful for determining major.

Chloe

There's a lot of diversity on the UF campus as far as academics. Class size varies, for example, some of the more Gen Ed type classes will have large classes of hundreds of people, language classes are kept small at about twenty or less, more specialized classes are more in the 30-50 range. Some of my personal favorite classes have included, Gender and Sexuality, Modern Japan, Japanese Culture, The Ancient World on Film, Myths of the Greeks and Romans, Food and Culture, to name a few. My major is Anthropology and I have two minors in Classics and Asian Studies. I have a lot of freedom in my course choices so I get to take many interesting classes. This school's academic requirements are definitely high, however this produces a good academic atmosphere in which most people are serious about their schooling.

Christina

Though it might be because I'm an English/Creative Writing major, I can say that my teachers all know my name. My fiction writing workshops have all been unique, thought-provoking, and incredibly beneficial in terms of my writing skills. In class participation is, for the most part, the most important thing in my classes, as most of my classes, as of recently, consist of somewhere between 16 to 20 students.

Cindy

Academics in my school are extremely important, the importance can probably best be measured by how many students are in the libraries at any given time. I am a political science major, one of the most popular majors at the school, but my concentration is in international relations. The classes are fairly small and the professors quickly learn the names of the students who participate most. I can, from personal experience, say that the students frequently have intellectual conversations. Politics, race, religion, economics, history, sociology, the environment, current events and even astronomy are topics that have been brought up in daily conversation among friends. My favorite class has been international institutions because I feel as though I have learned the most from that course but it hasn't been the most interesting. That would go to Cuba and Puerto Rico, a course on the history of both islands. I have met with my professor for that course multiple times and have had the pleasure of conversing with her on our family histories.

Joei

The academics at my school are great. The professors have a large knowledge base and amazing stories from experience. They offer so many classes in so many things it is bound to catch your attention. I love the fact that they have such interesting classes about topics I would love to learn about. My all time favorite class was homicide, in which i was able to learn about infamous serial killers and different degrees of murder. My majors, Criminology and Anthropology, both in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, is the best. We have amazing advisors who are always willing to help guide you in the right direction and get back to you quickly.

Sara

Yes, the University of Florida is definitely daunting in terms of academics. I have managed to be on the Dean's List since my first semester at UF (I'm currently a Junior in my sixth semester), which of course is not easy or light feat. At the same time, it is in no way impossible. Students should feel as though they have every opportunity to achieve at UF. Big classrooms of over 100 students can be intimidating, and oftentimes smaller classes in which the professor knows his/her students' names can be even more nerve racking. However, professors usually are accommodating, are there to help you in and outside of the classroom, and want to see you excel. Students can be competitive, like at any other prestigious university, but I've never seen it escalate to unhealthy levels. Stress, however, is incredibly common, and I have experienced that escalate to unhealthy levels, but I am sure it is not unlike the behavior of students at like universities. Being a psychology major, I really appreciate my department, the amount I have learned, and the UF Counseling and Wellness Center. The CWC is always there to help students manage their stress and provide useful tools such as Biofeedback training and encouragement (for free).

Marybeth

I think the academics are fair. Some classes are harder than others, but overall I think the Professors are very reasonable. If you do your work, read your readings, and study what you're supposed to study, you will get As.

Julie

The academics are pretty hard-core. The core classes, the sciences and math classes, are tough. But on the flip side, there is so much help out there. Every class has review sessions, from fellow students, TAs, teaching help through UF itself or an off campus company that specializes in helping you pass your test. Not to mention that every professor has office hours or is available to make an appointment to see you. There's no excuse not to find help if you need it. Students in a class can also email other students in the class, so I can send a mass email saying "I need help with problem #2 on the homework" or "Study session Thursday at 5" and get help from fellow classmates. The courses are so diverse, I've taken Vegetable Gardening, Oceanography, Astronomy, Wildlife, Soils, American History and many other electives just to see what I might like. And many of the electives are a blast, because it's something you are interested in.

Julie

Alexander

I would say classes are rigorous but if you study and most importantly go to class you should be fine.

Esmeralda

The academics are rather challenging and competitive. You are competing against many other well rounded, intelligent, hard working individuals. Thus, time manageability is a crucial skill that you either posses prior to attending UF or cultivate afterwards.

Caroline

Everyone is a nerd at the University of Florida. People are constantly studying between classes and at the library. Students use the library so frequently that this spring the main library will be open 24 hours. Class sizes are large though, with 250 plus in most of my classes so participation is a minimum. I make a point to know the names of my professors, however most students are not as concerned, they simply go to class and take the tests without even knowing the gender of the professor. Since the school is elite it is competitive but more in involvement than in academics.

Zarna

University of Florida is definitely an academic-focused school. Everyone is driven to make something of themselves.Being such a large university, in your general education classes in your first few semesters, classes are pretty crowded. Classes like chemistry or calculus, that are required for many majors, have hundreds of students. However, most large classes have a one-hour discussion course once a week which is only 20 students from the larger group. Professors know your name if you make it known to them. In larger classes, and even in smaller classes, participation is key. The professors will not work to get to know you like in high school. You must participate in discussions in class or go to office hours for extra help to introduce yourself. As far as academic requirements go, I feel that some of the general education credit requirements, like the required 6 credits of "Diversity", are a bit unnecessary. Many of these classes are not very appealing to a wider audience and waste space in the semester, blocking time when you could be getting ahead on your major requirements or just taking a fun, interesting class. The new A- grading system is the worst!!! The addition of the minuses on the gpa scale makes it harder to get a 4.0 and UF classes are hard enough to begin with. Being an academic university, there are many, many pre-med students. This means that classes required by all of them, like general chemistry, turn in to "weed-out" classes that make the class harder so only the best and brightest survive and discouraging those that can't keep up to drop pre-med. Most classes have 2-3 midterm exams, plus a final. In many classes, these are your only grades. In others, you have additional papers, homework assignments, or online homework or quizzes to boost grades. Time spent on academics correlates with the time in the semester. Early in the semester, before midterm exams begin, is generally relaxed and easy. As the semester progresses, so does the workload. By the time finals roll around, you're basically living thanks to coffee gods.

Zarna

Zarna

University of Florida is definitely an academic-focused school. Everyone is driven to make something of themselves.Being such a large university, in your general education classes in your first few semesters, classes are pretty crowded. Classes like chemistry or calculus, that are required for many majors, have hundreds of students. However, most large classes have a one-hour discussion course once a week which is only 20 students from the larger group. Professors know your name if you make it known to them. In larger classes, and even in smaller classes, participation is key. The professors will not work to get to know you like in high school. You must participate in discussions in class or go to office hours for extra help to introduce yourself. As far as academic requirements go, I feel that some of the general education credit requirements, like the required 6 credits of "Diversity", are a bit unnecessary. Many of these classes are not very appealing to a wider audience and waste space in the semester, blocking time when you could be getting ahead on your major requirements or just taking a fun, interesting class. The new A- grading system is the worst!!! The addition of the minuses on the gpa scale makes it harder to get a 4.0 and UF classes are hard enough to begin with. Being an academic university, there are many, many pre-med students. This means that classes required by all of them, like general chemistry, turn in to "weed-out" classes that make the class harder so only the best and brightest survive and discouraging those that can't keep up to drop pre-med.

The undergraduate classes here at the University of Florida tend to have hundreds of students in them, thus making it difficult to build a relationship with professors from just attending lecture. If you make an effort to go to their office hours though, professors tend to take notice and be much more helpful. My favorite classes are those that have to do with my field of study, speech, language and hearing classes, probably because that is what I enjoy learning about. I know other students who prefer their math courses though because that's what they're interested in. The amount of time students spend studying really depends on how well they want to perform in a particular class and the difficulty of the course they are taking. Some courses are much easier than others to get better grades in. I would say that the students here are highly competitive. Many majors require that you apply to the program at the end of your sophomore year. Pre-Med, Pre-Pharm, Pre-Dentistry and the nursing program only take a limited amount of applicants.

Talia

Many professors know my name. You do sometimes have to make an effort to make your presence known though. For example, I'm in a class with probably 300 students, but because I have gone to my teacher's office hours, she remembers me and my name. On the other hand, I took a GenEd English class which totaled 7 people. When you get into specialized classes, the size of the depreciates quickly, with the maximum students being around 30. I've found that the professors here take a great interest in your overall well being, and I have formed great relationships with many of them. I absolutely loved my Spanish teacher, Sra Braylan, and ended up studying abroad in her native country, Argentina, taking classes with her and other professors at the University of Belgrano. It was an incredible experience I wish I could do again!

The academics I'd say are the main reason most people are here--for a top quality education. Because this is a large place, alot of the classes are large or even web-based. However, you can definitely get to know your professors by utilizing office hours, reviews, etc. The courses are challenging, but mostly do-able. Once you declare a major and become more involved in your individual college, the experience becomes even more rewarding.

Stephen

In high school I did very little academic work.. In college, I do very little outside of academics. I study just about every day during the week, and most weekends for at least a few hours. The professors know me, but only because I'm very proactive about knowing them. Class participation matters, but not a whole lot because what really matters is understanding the material. There is generally no frill or excessive bull to deal with, just the meat of the subject matter. I like that, because it means my degree will be worth something. My department is alright. It is dominated by Asians, which I don't mind, except when I have difficulty communicating with them. My department seems to be grossly under-funded as well. I pay roughly $3,000 a semester in tuition, and in return my teacher is using a projector that looks like it's 20+ years old, and a chalk board. There are teacher websites, but most are poorly maintained and coded, meaning it's like a website a teenager would have made back in 1995. The most unique class I've taken is COT3100 - Discrete Structures and Their Applications. The class is entirely devoted to logic, proofing, methods of argument, and basic combinations/probability theory. The class is designed to make you learn how to think. The homework seems more like riddles than an assignment. The sort where solving it leads to that gratifying "A ha!" moment. It makes me feel really smart. The questions are all over the place too, like proving that two complicated logical statements can both be reduced to the same thing, or figuring out the number of ways to get 3 of a kind in a poker game. This school's academic requirements aren't too bad. I'm hoping to graduate with honors, which is definitely tough in the engineering college(s). Work hard and you will do well.

Academics can be tough but time management and organization is a key component for succeeding in college.

Melissa

I think that professor that like teaching will teach but those that like research will avoid it.

I have had great experiences with my classes at the University of Florida. I have had very large classes, as well as very small classes. My professors will know my name if I want them to. In other words, if you introduce yourself to them and visit them during their office hours, then they will take the time to get to know you. However, if you never contact them, then they will not know you by name. I am a pre-pharmacy, health science major. Therefore, I tend to study quite often. The main library on campus is always very popular. Class participation is very common in all of my classes. Professors like to get input from the class, instead of just standing in front and lecturing all the time. I find that this makes classes much more interesting. My major involves a lot of class participation. Health Science is a major in the Public Health and Health Professions College at UF. It focuses on all aspects of health: from the science aspects to the way our health care system in the United States works. This semester I am taking a class on leadership and therapeutic communication for my major. I personally do not spend much time with my professors outside of class. However, my boyfriend, who is a creative photography major, spends a great deal of time with his professors outside of school. I feel that the education at this school is very heavily geared toward getting a job or preparing for further education after undergraduate school. UF wants to prepare its students for what comes next.

Alyssa

Most curriculums at the University of Florida are challenging. Being in the Engineering College, i can attest to that fact. However, this is a great preperation for life after college and my future career. Most introductory classes are held in big auditoriums which makes it more difficult to get to know your professor but by visiting their office hours regularly they will learn your name and be able to get to know you. One of the things I enjoyed was being able to enroll in the honors section of some courses (such as Calculus) to be able to learn in a smaller class setting. I have also enjoyed the hands-on classes in my department. Those have helped me get a better idea of what I want to do as a career in the future. Another great benefit of attending UF is that our Career Resource Center (where you go to get help finding internships and jobs) was ranked #1 in the country!

Jared

The University of Florida is considered to be the best public university in the state of Florida. Several of the university's programs, including its Ciollege of Journalism and Communications, are ranked in the top tier nationally. The University of Florida's law school is also very highly ranked. As the sixth-largest university in the nation, classes are sometimes quite large with 700 students or more in some introductory-level courses.

Nathalie

I love all my professors. They're all very knowledgeable, they are very helpful for the most part. Not to say you won't find professors who don't care. I think all schools have such professors, but I just haven't met one yet. As a business major, my favorite class would have to be Entrepreneurship. It's a required course for business majors, but it's just such a fascinating class. You get into the mind of business owners, and you discover why they decide to open their own business in the first place, how they find opportunities, etc. My professor in that class is an actual entrepreneur, so he knows first hand about how to open a business, how to find investors to lend money to you, all that jazz. It's not every day you get to learn about a subject from someone whose been down that road before. UF students being as smart as they are love to have intelligent discussions. I've had many talks about the financial crisis with fellow classmates, and we've discussed the possibilities of other bubbles that might be bursting pretty soon. It's a different environment than you would see in other schools. It was not at all like this at my previous school. The business school is one of the bigger schools on campus in terms of how many students sign up for business as a major. It's a very popular major, but it's not easy at all. Actually, all my classes are pretty difficult, but to the point of them being challenging. It's not so difficult that you can't get an A, you can, but it does take more work than you think it would. Courses are 4 credits each most of the time, instead of the average 3 credits, so expect to study a bit more per credit hour. The two most difficult classes in the business school are FIN3403 and Business Law. Most people rely on study aids for these classes just because they're so difficult. But again...it's nothing you can't overcome with a little studying and determination. I definitely think UF has a different approach to academics than most other schools. So far, I've taken courses where I've been exposed to real-world material. I took ISM3004, and I love the hands-on approach we take in the class. My professor had us use the information we learned in the class to create blogs, presentations, charts, reports...all the different things we would need to know how to create and use in the real world. I learned how to create a business plan in Entrepreneurship. These are things that not every other school would teach their students!

There are many different types of student experiences. There are big lecture classes, like any large university and there are intimate classes of 15-20 people that promote discussion. My favorite classes are definitely the Spanish courses at school. They are all really intimate and you get to know your professors on a one on one basis. The most unique class I have ever taken was Theatre appreciation. It was really fun and exciting to go to. Students can be competitive depending upon the college or major you are in, but I wouldn't say it is cut-throat at all. My major is advertising in the College of Journalism and communications. I like my college because people are always readily available to help you out whenever needed. Outside of class, it is acceptable to go to your professors office hours. I have never had more interaction than office hours though. I think the education really prepares you for the real world, and each college has a different approach to it.

steven

Profesors knew us by name and we met outside the walls to have some classes on the grass.

Reese

Academics at UF are what you make of them. Within limits, one could easily design a liberal arts schedule that allowed for a pretty easy sale through Undergrad. Everyone on campus knows of the basic easy A courses that you can take to round out a schedule and it is easy enough to know which professors do/don't have easy classes/tests. That being said, you will learn even in some of your easiest classes. If you leave UF not having been enlightened, you probably failed. UF does offer huge opportunities to challenge yourself. Classes that get into actual deep discussion (and students who continue the discussion outside of class) are plentiful. In a school as large as UF, there are a vast array of choices to let you really learn from all areas and not just one. UF holds the prestige to allow you to apply/get into any top graduate or professional school and has many top companies that hire from it.

Parker

i know all o my professors name, the classes are a bit too generalized and don teach specifics, but overall with the time allowed and subject to cover, i think teachers focus on what they find most important

Bri

no professors might know faces though. exceptional people is a great class. least favorite are any taugh by foreign professors who cannot speak english and physiology. depends on the class. some people do nothing but speak intellectually and its like come on give it a rest. very competative people.

Alex

i think adademics are really good at UF especially in the program i am in. I think it will prepare me for the future and my future occupation.

Laura

Professors don't know our name, and we barely see them. My favorite classes, regardless of the subject, have been those that have been smaller..approx 20 students or less when the teachers actually care and give us adequate attention.

Tate

I feel that the class sizes at UF are too big (for sciences), and students do not get the optimal education that they can. Smaller class sizes would definitely enhance students' learning experiences. When I have a teacher that knows my name and shows that he is interested in my learning, it motivates me to do well in his class.

Angie

Professors sometimes surprise me when they actually know my name. My favorite class this semester was 19th Century European History I also liked my intermediate Spanish classes. My least favorite classes were calculus and chemistry that I took spring semester last year, of course I dropped both of them. UF students most definitely have intellectual conversations outside of class, many times I talk about politics, history, and other social topics of intellectual interest. Students here are also definitely very competitive as they strive hard to build their resumes and make applications to grad, law, and medical schools stand out from the rest.

Rich

Academics vary at uf depending on the class size. A typical chemistry class can range from 100-250 but will break out into discussion classes of 30. Students are always studying at Library west i don't think thier has been one time when i went there and the library was empty. Uf students tend to converse about intellectual things every day. We are a research university so people are always talking and using terms that apply to their subjects of research. Students are very competitive. Everyone is trying to be on top as they should. The most unique class that i took was Cultural Diversity in The USA. I am a BFA Production design major through the school of theatre and dance. I have not spent time with any of my professors outside of classes. UFs academic requirements are a good standard and should remain as they are. Uf's education i feel is geared towarrds both getting a job and learning for its own sake it really depends on the class.

Stefanie

Professors know my name and classes can be large or small depending on what level they are. Class participation is very common and our professors love to see us interact in classes. I do not spend time with my professors outside of class. UFL is definitely geared towards getting a job and expanding the Gator Nation.

Whitney

Professors do know my name. My classes are relatively small which is awesome. The most unique class I have taken has been Human Sexuality Education. Students are very competitive. I do not spend time with my professors outside of class.