University of Florida

« See more reviews of University of Florida

No professors do not know my name. My favorite class is anatomy lab, because it is hands on and the TA knows our name. I study all the time. Class participation is not common in many of my classes. Yes, I have had intellectual conversations. Students are very competitive. my most unique class has to be history of jazz. Occuptational therapy/ health science department. I have never seen a professor outside of class. UF's academic requirements are perfectly fine the way they are.

None of my professors have ever known my name. I feel that UF's academic requirements are very demanding. Most of my classes taken here have been over difficult for what I believe is because there are hardly any real professors! In my two years here, I've only taken two classes that have been taught by professionals, most are graduate students trying to prove a point that they can give pop quizzes the day before Spring Break or on the day of a National Championship game.

The larger the class is, the harder it is to get to know the professor and feel connected to your class. I've found that my best success has been in classes with a limited number of students where I actually get to know my professor. I find that in big lecture halls the professors care more about the material than they do about the students, and I think it should be the other way around, because that's the only way to get the students to care about the material.

Depending on the class size, it is definitely possible to have your teacher know your name. Students do have to study quite often but that is how college life is no matter where you go. Class participation is common in the smaller classes. My major is Nursing so the science classes are quite large but I do have small classes where I became close with the teacher. UF is most deifnitely geared toward teaching us and furthering our knowledge as best as possible.

Professors will get to know you if you approach them I believe. In my smaller classes (Honors Classes) the profs know my name. In lecture classes, you just have to go to office hours if you need them. My favorite classes are my chemistry classes, because there are some awesome professors. Very difficult profs test-wise, but very good. Students do have intellectual conversations out of class, but its not an everyday thing for most.

Beginning level undergrad classes at UF are very large because of our huge student body size, and it can be very hard to get to know your professor so you have to put a lot of effort into it. The upper level classes aren't so bad and they can be very intellectually stimulating. My favorite class at UF thus far has been Social Psychology because it really made me think about what I want to do with the rest of my life.

UF has a lot of smart kids but we are a large university so you'll occasionally meet someone missing a couple of neurons. I'm glad I chose to be in the college of journalism and communications. It's a great program that gears you toward gaining real life experience and do actual work. They teach you the theory and concepts but make you apply it, which is essential for any communications major.

As a college freshman the classes are large and impersonal, but due to the fact in many of my classes that provide online lectures, attendence is short and creates a personal class room. If online lectures are not included, usually there are TAs in the class like my intro to chemistry class (CHM 1025). Attendence is high, but the class actually is personal with the many TAs in the class.

Professors at UF are very personable. They welcome students to come ask them questions, especially during the teachers office hours. Class participation is common in small classes, lecture classes usually do not have an attendance policy. UF students are intellectual and competitive. They participate in acedemic conversations and competitions in addition to their classes.

At UF the classes are so large that professors and students do not really get to know each other unless students take advantage of the professors' office hours. So far at UF I have loved my Intro to Nutrition class that I took. I am a nutrition major and found the class to be really interesting and it helped me make healthier choices in my daily life.