University of Florida Top Questions

I can't really say that there are "popular groups" on campus. Since there are so many organizations, it's hard to say that some are more popular than others because people join what they want to. There are so many different organizations that you can join that can tailor to what you like and what you want to do. I am currently a Brother in Alpha Kappa Psi. Alpha Kappa Psi is a professional co-ed business fraternity open to all majors. I have developed more than just professional skills with this organization. I have made great connections and relationships that I know will continue after college. Being apart of a Brotherhood is different than anything I have ever experienced before. At first it was weird to be called a Brother since I'm a girl, but after joining the brotherhood, it made more sense. We have fun together and we help each other grow into amazing leaders that will go on to accomplish so many things. Everyone is welcoming and wants to hear your ideas so that we can all improve together as a Brotherhood. There are a lot of things to do in Gainesville during the weekend. On Friday nights, UF hosts GatorNights at the Reitz Union which is free to all students. GatorNights plays movies that were recently or currently playing in the theater. There are also performances from comedians and magicians during GatorNIghts. Also, GatorNights has different activities that you can do from playing games to making crafts. There are a couple movie theaters in Gainesville to go to as well. The night life I hear is great. If partying is something you're into, there's almost something every night in Midtown or Downtown. Personally, that isn't my scene so on the weekends I usually just stay in with some friends and hang out. Also, as a student you can go to Lake Wauberg and do a lot of outdoor activities like kayaking, playing sports, fishing, and going on a boat. There is a lot to do off campus, you just have to look.

Hiking & studying

Joyce

I am a Pre-Med student so I can tell you about AMSA, the Microbiology club, Gator nights (which is every Friday) is really popular on school. Gator run (once a year) also is advertised a lot and a lot of people go.

Kassie

Sororities and fraternities are pretty prevalent on campus. However there are plenty of groups to get involved with outside of these two organizations, intramural sports teams being one of the most popular. Football and basketball games have very high attendance rates among students. It is college, so people do drink quite often. But there are plenty of people, like myself, who don't drink and there is still plenty of things to do. You can go to art shows/galleries downtown, comedy clubs, or any of the various Gainesville-specific restaurants that are always fun to try out.

Alissa

Among the most popular student organizations are of course Greek Fraternities and Sororities. They play a major part at UF and students who participate in them also control other organizations such as Student Government. Behind Frats and Sororities, I would consider any professional organizations, such as pre-med clubs or business fraternities, are the next most important because they provide tons of opportunities for internships, jobs, and just general information about the career you take interest in.

Raul

Starting answering!There is not really one specific because there are so many groups and activities that it depends on what you like.

It's hard to say what the most popular organizations are on campus because with over 900 student organizations, different University boards, and plenty of internship and community service activities at your fingertips nothing really beats the other. Sports are definitely a high priority for many Gators. But many students also spend their spare time in cultural organizations or intramural sports. My personal favorite activity is doing things just like this, helping prospective and admitted students learn more about the University of Florida. I have served as a STUDENT AMBASSADOR to the UF Office of Admissions for 3 years and currently am the outgoing President of that ambassador group.

It's hard to say what the most popular organizations are on campus because with over 900 student organizations, different University boards, and plenty of internship and community service activities at your fingertips nothing really beats the other. Sports are definitely a high priority for many Gators. But many students also spend their spare time in cultural organizations or intramural sports. My personal favorite activity is doing things just like this, helping prospective and admitted students learn more about the University of Florida. I have served as a student ambassador to the UF Office of Admissions for 3 years and currently am the outgoing President of that ambassador group.

It's hard to say what the most popular organizations are on campus because with over 900 student organizations, different University boards, and plenty of internship and community service activities at your fingertips nothing really beats the other. Sports are definitely a high priority for many Gators. But many students also spend their spare time in cultural organizations or intramural sports.

Oriana

With over 900 organizations, UF has something for everyone. We have clubs involved in activities like skydiving all the way to the bi annual Zombie Wars that happens every semester. If that number seems slightly overwhelming, the IDEAL organization can help you choose which ones fit you the best after sitting down for a one-on-one interview. Not to mention the many teams we have in our intramural and club sports teams who play anything from basketball to ultimate frisbee. While most students who do party do so on Thursday and Friday night, this isn't the only thing Gainesville has to offer. Every Friday night, the Reitz Union has Gator Nights filled with family fun events like bumper cars and bounce houses. Not to mention that a movie plays in the Auditoriums three times a night Friday through Sunday. Not to mention that the Reitz Union Board has special speakers and performers visiting all year long. Students can get discounted access to concerts, operas and football games. Drake performed in the O'Connell Center this past semester. The city has lots to offer as well including music festivals, skating rinks and laser tag. All in all, if a student looks in the right place, it's going to be pretty difficult to be bored while at the U of F.

Oriana

Oriana

Oriana

Oriana

Oriana

fraternities and sororites

Katherina

Definitely Greek life is the most popular and athletic events (obviously!). People party alot in Gainesville but that doesn't mean with don't study....we do both. We're that good.

I heard that there are over 900 clubs at UF and I believe. There is always something to do. The on-campus museums are free for students and students often produce theatre peices that are free to attend. Off-campus there's a mall and other shopping centers. There are several dance clubs and bars fairly close to campus. On-campus dorms can compete against each other in sports and hold seasonal activities. How friendly your neighbors are really depends on where you live. There are several places that show movies on-campus. I personally play ultimate frisbee and volleyball with my dorm and go to anime club. The easiest way to meet people in such a large school is to get involved.

Chloe

There is a huge variety of groups and clubs on campus; there's probably something for every interest. There's usually a student organization to go along with any major, whether its a club or an honors society. A group that I'm a part of the Golden Key International Honor Society, which is an honors society that does some volunteer and fundraising work while also connecting it's members with resources such as scholarships and graduate programs. I'm also planning to join the Anthropology Honors Society. When I lived in the dorms we did not leave our door open, however dorms have many events which students can go to and mingle with each other, such as movie nights and special activities. Athletic events are extremely popular and a big part of campus life, however if you're someone like me who prefers to go to the theater and other cultural events there are plenty of those too, for example I recently attended a Chinese Orchestra. There are also two museum on campus which students can go to for free (and art museum and a natural history museum). I met many of my friends through other friends (I had several friends from high school attend here as well), though I've also made friends through classes. Fraternities and Sororities are somewhat prevalent here, however there are many people who are not involved in Greek life as well. Partying really depends on the person, as well as where you live. For example, apartments near Frat row/Sorority Row tend to have more parties.

Intramural sports are hugely popular. Almost everybody tries intramural at least once in their college career. Also, this seems to go along with the athletic events such as football, basketball, gymnastics, and baseball being incredibly popular. I'm personally a part of a literary magazine and the school's Pride Student Union which helps me get involved. However, not all of my friends are of the LGBT community, actually, most of them I ended up meeting through coincidence in the dining hall or just by having one mutual friend that brought us all together. If I'm awake at 2am on a weekday, it's because I'm studying or trying to get ahead on my homework assignments. All partying (and there's a lot of it) occurs at night starting on Fridays.

The most popular student activities here at the University of Florida seem to be supporting the sports teams (especially football and basketball by going to the games) and partying/drinking. Unfortunately, the organizations most conducive to the above lifestyle are fraternities and sororities. Most males and females who are coming to UF without many friends join Greek organizations to make friend-making and "fitting in" easier. The friends that I have made here at UF (non-Greek) find this rather sad because we have done just fine in friend-making and have done so without the forced, insincere "well if I'm in this sorority, I gotta be nice to HER and be friends with HER, and pretend I like HER" (a risk you always run in frats and sororities). People party A LOT, and frat guys, sorority girls, and UF team sports players tend to rule the school. To me, forming a true, genuine friend group of which you are happy to be a part is a much more impressive and amazing accomplishment, and I am so lucky to have that and to confidently say partying can be fun, but it's not all it's cracked up to be.

Marybeth

Definitely a lot of kids join fraternities and sororities. When I rushed I gained a lot of respect and admiration for the Greek system. Joining a sorority or a fraternity is definitely a very popular student activity and is an easy way to make friends and have things to do. I decided it wasn't for me, and because I go to such a diverse school, it wasn't a problem! I joined other organizations and am now President of Red Cross Gators!

Marybeth

A lot of kids join fraternities and sororities. I rushed but I decided it wasn't for me. I am actually President of Red Cross Gators on campus. Some students leave their doors open. The majority of my section in my dorm do because we all know each other and its relatively small (not more than 30 or 40 kids). My roommate and I always lock our door when we leave, but that's not the norm in my dorm. It depends what dorm you are in, to be honest. I live in an upperclassman dorm, Murphree, where pretty much everyone is a sophomore and like I said, we all know each other. Sometimes we watch games together in our common area and we make meals together. We are a very friendly section. If you are in bigger dorms that aren't as intimate, I would imagine more people would lock their doors. In some dorms, like Hume, I think the door locks automatically so you have no choice. Athletic events are most popular, guest speakers are definitely popular with societies, and theater is popular too. You can meet people to date in all different places. It's usually at parties and social events that romantic relationships most often pick up, though. I met my closest friends that I've made here through a mutual friend at a party. If I am awake at 2am on a Tuesday it is probably because I went out to a bar or a club. Homecoming and Gator Growl happen every year! Woo hoo! It depends on the people, but I'd say on average a person goes out twice a week. Some way more, some way less. Fraternities and sororities are pretty important, especially if you want to get in student government. But you don't have to join one to make friends. If you are more inclined to party, you should probably join one so you can meet people to party with and have a lot to do. Last weekend I went to my friend's birthday party on Friday and just went to dinner and movie on Saturday night with a friend. You can do a million things without drinking. You can go anywhere -- even to parties, clubs, etc -- and not drink. But if you want to go to a movie, a theater, an art show, a concert, gambling night, or whatever else, you can do that too. Off campus I buy groceries, do errands, hang out at my friends' apartments, go to restaurants, etc. I do a lot off campus.

There are so many things going on, it's not even possible to list them all. There are tons of sports and recreation activities. My own personal favorite is Lake Wauburg. There's also a few Rec Centers and Outdoor areas to play volleyball, soccer, etc. There's ROTC, Christian Groups, Intramural Sports, Dance Clubs, Gamers, Academic-related organizations....all kinds of things! A lot of people go out on the weekends and party. And there's always a ton of people at the gym or the lake. Many groups put on dance routines or shows, and there are tons of interest-related activities such as telescope night at the observatory. I would definately suggest the dorms the first year. You meet SOOO many people when you live on campus. It's really a great opportunity.

There is always something going on in Gainesville. Yes the party scene is popular on any night, even a Tuesday. Most students can be found either downtown at a club or at Midtown at a bar. However, for students who don't drink, UF offers several sober activities to participate in; like GatorNights a free movie and popcorn that is shown every Friday. Athletic events are always huge. Football, basketball, and baseball games are always packed, but then again it is the Gator Nation.

There are a lot of student groups and organizations to join on campus. The most popular event though are probably the fall football games in the Swamp, our stadium. There are religious, cultural, hobby, interest and activist groups as well as a large greek community with each frat and sorority having a slightly different style to offer students. I think that a student's social life in Gainesville, on and off campus, varies depending on which group pf people they choose to invest their time in. Many students spend their weekends "going out" while others have found groups and friends that provide and alcohol free environment to have fun and build relationships. Students really choose what role the groups and activities play into their college life here at UF.

Greek life is definitely a HUGE thing here at UF. However, if you decide not to go Greek, there are still tons of other things to choose from. Sports clubs, academic clubs, general interest clubs... you name it, we've probably got it. And if by chance you've got a club idea in mind we don't have, you can start your own!

There are a TON of organizations at UF, and it's my understanding that you only need a few people to start your own organization if none of them suit your needs. I was involved a lot with CRU over the past year. CRU is short for Campus Crusade for Christ. CRU is a massive organization on campus. They have weekly worship on Thursday nights, and people hang around afterwards to socialize / hit up Mochi. My schoolwork kept me from attending regularly this semester, but it is a lot of fun. Athletic events are a bit deal here in the Swamp. The football team had an awful season, so naturally basketball is bigger than usual. The basketball team is great, and I don't mind a bunch of riled up fans. I love Gator basketball! There are lots of pre-registered students at most every game, and it is very competitive trying to get there early enough to sit down in the lower section! The dating scene is probably the thing I know the least about. In my experience, there is unfortunately a lot of people just looking to hook up and have fun. They don't want to be in relationships. I guess a lot of people like that at this age, but I really don't. So I don't date much as a result. I suppose your mileage in the dating scene will vary depending on your needs. If I'm awake at 2 AM on a Tuesday I'm probably going to the IHOP down the street with some friends. One of the greatest things about college is setting your own crazy, zany hours. Since the IHOP is 24 hours, it's a great place to go when you get the munchies or want some place to hang out. There are clubs down in midtown, and a handful of other places to go, but I've never been much into that scene. I hear it's expensive, and not all it's cracked up to be anyways. People seem to party here an awful lot. Maybe not on campus so much, but I live off campus and I hear about a lot of parties. Sometimes I go, but there tends to be a lot of sorry drunks there. I've also had a lot of run-ins with drugs in this town / party scene, which is something I've never dealt with prior to college. I guess drugs are everywhere there's a lot of college kids though. Off campus what I tend to do is climb at the Gainesville Rock Gym. It's a lot of fun, and great exercise. It gives me something to build up and work on that has nothing to do with school. It's my own thing. I also end up just hanging out with friends a lot at their apartments. We'll watch Netflix or play a board game. Nothing too crazy after all, we're all on a budget.

Students in Greek life are most popular. Greek life is huge at UF.

I think partying is big at this school but I try to avoid it.

Student government is really big and involved on campus so lots of people get involved with it. You can play a part in almost anything from hosting concerts to creating advertisements for other organizations. Academically, every major has a corresponding organization you can be a part of to help develop connections. I'm a business student and I'm involved in the Florida Leadership Institute which is a development series aimed to prepare sophomores for what they may see in their business future. Greek Life is pretty big here and is a terrific way to get involved. Even if you're the type of person who doesn't think frat-life is for them, there are frats full of people who feel the same way! When people go out in Gainesville, they either go to the bars at Midtown or the clubs at Downtown. Nightlife here is pretty active and there's always something going on for those nights where you want to go out. Gamedays and tailgates are a huge tradition here. Between students and alumni, its all about GAAAATOR FOOOOTBAAAAAALL! If you haven't seen a game at the Swamp, you have no idea what you're missing.

The two most popular activities/groups at the University of Florida are athletics and Greek like. A large percentage of the student body participates in rush and most of Student Government positions are held by Greeks. Another popular activity is attending athletic events; especially football games. I met many of my good friends in my hall my freshman year, living in a dorm. My RA was very involved in making sure that we were transitioning well into college life and there were many activities organized to make us meet our neighbors.

Jared

Athletics are very popular at the University of Florida as is Student Government. Greek life is also huge on campus with approximately 13 percent of the Student Body participating in fraternities or sororities. We have hundreds of organizations and clubs at UF, and there truly is something for everyone.

Nathalie

Like I mentioned previously, there is something for everyone at UF! Greek life is HUGE on campus. But don't feel bad if you don't join in. It's really ok if you don't. There are tons of other activities you can join. There are all kinds of intramural sports clubs, foreign language clubs, music clubs, art clubs, dance clubs...it all depends on what you're looking for and what you're interested in. Sports is really big at UF. You have the football team, the basketball team, baseball, soccer, tennis...even gymnastics! Everyone is really spirited, and they go to the games to support the teams. It's just one more thing you can do on campus. I live off campus, but even so, it's just so much fun. You're close to everything. Orlando is like 1 hour and half away, Jacksonville is just an hour away. Some complexes have parties and they bring food and drinks for everyone. Sometimes, they even hire DJs to come and provide the music. It's really so much fun! The dating scene is not too good, as there aren't that many good looking guys or girls. But that doesn't seem to stop anyone. Parties are pretty intense. They tend to run into the wee hours of the morning. People love to drink here. But no worries...you can still have fun, even if you don't drink!

Student Government, ACCENT, Student Government Productions, Reitz Union Board, and Greek organizations are the most prevalent on campus. I am involved with a Greek organization but I do not base my life around it. I am involved with many other things as well, including Student Government, Pride Awareness Month, Pride Student Union, and Navigators. Athletic events are very popular here and well-attended. The guest speakers are fantastic, just this past month we had Shaquille O'neal come speak along with Rex Lee and many others. Theater is very niche, students attend popular theater productions such as Cirque de Soleil, which was here last month, but often don't attend student produced productions. The dating scene isn't that great. It's more of a hook up scene. But some people find partners! People party a lot. I would say there is somewhere to be every night but Tuesday and Sunday night. Fraternities and Sororites play a big part on campus, but it is definitely not necessary to be a part of one if you are uninterested. Off campus there is lots to do. There are lots of cool places to hike and explore around Gainesville and Ginnie Springs is not far either!

steven

I was in the CRIMINAL JUSTICE assoc and prelaw assoc. The net today is nationwide .

Reese

Greek Life is extremely large at UF. UF has 25+ fraternities, 16 sororities and several multicultural fraternities/sororities. Greeks control the majority of Student Government positions and always will. There are always greek events being advertised and rush seems to take over a large portion of campus life each semester. UF is a very alcohol heavy campus and most any party/event is going to somehow be related to drinking. UF tries to cater to non-drinking students with events like Gator Nights. Gator Nights provides an ample amount of entertainment late every Friday night as a means of keeping students sober. UF brings in a great variety of speakers and performers despite its random location in middle-of-nowhere, Florida. In past years UF has hosted groups like OAR, Tom Petty, Elton John, Dave Matthews and speakers like the hosts of Mythbusters, Ron Jeremy and Michael Moore.

Bri

greek is all over the place. alpha phi omega is a co-ed national service fraternity and is amazing. depends on the student. i met my closest friends through APO. 2am Tuesday = sleeping.

i am involved on campus with activities, as well as off of campus activities, and i also have a social life. It is up to the student to balance everything.

It seems like the majority of UF students drink and do drugs which I do not agree with. Underage drinking is a big problem here as with any college campus.

Tate

Most students go to clubs and party on weekends, and while I enjoy parties, I do not drink. I wish that less people would drink and get drunk simply because it is not safe.

Angie

Popular groups on campus usually center on student government, majors or pre-professional such as lawyer, doctor, dental, teacher, or a minority organization. They are involved in various activities such as raising money for various charities, helping out in the community, and basically being involved and getting to know people on campus. I am involved with Alpha Phi Omega a co-ed service fraternity that volunteers with the Girl Scouts and other service projects in Gainesville. Students in dorms don't usually leave their dorms open. Athletic events are HIGHLY popularized. I mean, we are known as "Titletown, USA" because of our back to back basketball championship wins and our Football BCS championship around the same time. I met my closest friends randomly and we've been close ever since. I also met a lot of my friends through my roommates last year and other friends through some classes. People party pretty often in Gainesville. The good thing about it is that the temptation to stay out ALL night is eliminated because clubs and other spots close early, like around 2 in the morning. On a Tuesday if I happen to be awake at 2am it's definitely because I am on facebook. Facebook is an addictive habit for me. On a Saturday night instead of drinking I usually either watch a movie at the Reitz Union where they feature free movies, or go over a friend's house to watch a movie. Lately I've also been going to the gym on Saturday nights and then just going on my computer to check Facebook, hahaha.

Rich

Fraternities and sorrorities are two popular organizations that try and control student government. Athletic events are to die for especially football and basketball. There is a great diverse theatre season ever semester. The students choose which guest speakers that accent will bring in. They havent gone wrong.. Partying is something huge here. You can find a party on every single night of the week. If you don't want to drink on a saturday night you can goto clubs and dance.

Stefanie

I'm involved with Alpha Phi Omega. We do over 2,000 hours of community service each semester. Students in dorms lock their doors. Athletic events are extremely popular and the entire student body gets involved and really participates. If you are awake at 2AM on a Tuesday you are either studying or out at a bar. People party pretty often. Off campus activities shopping, movies, and hanging out at parks.

Greek organizations are the most popular on campus. Athletic events and football games are extremely popular. I met my closest friends through organizations that I have been involved in. Last weekend I went home. On a Saturday night you can watch a play or go to a movie. Off campus I go drinking, shopping, etc.

Obviously the football games are where its at.