University of Florida Top Questions

What are your classes like?

Sophie

Since the university is so large lecture classes range from large Auditoriums filled with 600 students to smaller classes with no more than 20 students. The size depending on the popularity of the course and which building it is held in. On the other hand, discussion classes are usually smaller than lectures sine this is where your TA will review the material you learned in lecture. I have been lucky to have really nice teachers that will work with you if you address them with a problem you are having personally or with the course work. But not all teachers are like that. The university also offers Hybrid and Online classes. In a Hybrid class you will watch you lectures online but go your discussion class on campus. In an Online class everything you do for the will be online.

Gabrielle

I know a lot of people talk about ow big the classes are at UF, but since i have started my classes for my major the classes have gotten way smaller and more one on one. You can have classes from 600-700 to about 20-30, the bigger classes are mainly general ed classes, and not the ones that are specific to your major.

Alissa

Your first two years at UF will be spent taking general education classes and pre-requisites for your major. With this in mind, you should not be surprised that all your classes during this time will be held in huge lecture halls and have around 300 students in them. In fact, my online Marketing class that I took this past semester (where lectures were uploaded online but tests were taken in a lecture hall at night) had around 1000 students. UF is a state university and has around 50,000 students enrolled altogether. If you're someone who needs more intimate attention with a professor or needs to be known by name in a class, then this isn't the University for you. However, no matter how large the classes are, each professor holds office hours where you can go and receive the help you need face-to-face with the professor.There are also an abundance of Teaching Assistants for every class there to assist you and a multitude of tutoring services you can pay for.

Nathalie

Classes depend on the professor and the subject. Classes don't start to get small until well into your major. As a business major, I've yet to be in a class smaller than 50 students, and I'm in my 3rd year. Online students will view lectures online for the most part (unless they live in the area). UF uses iTunes to broadcast lectures. It's very convenient and easily accessible for students. You can access the lectures at any time, pause, play, etc. All at your convenience. Regular UF students can also enjoy of these lectures, depending on what class you're registered in and the course number. Professors are wonderful for the most part. There are far and few professors that I don't like. My favorite class this year was Entrepreneurship with Professor Rossi. His class was inspirational. I really enjoyed it. I especially enjoyed his style of teaching. It was very conversational. A lot of professors have this sort of style at UF. It seems more like they are sharing something with you rather than "lecturing" you. They always mention something interesting or thought-provoking. But, I must warn that not all teachers are like this. Some teachers are bad, because they hate teaching and would rather do research. But from those professors I've dealt with, I'd say most truly enjoy teaching.

Zachary

As a business student I definitely have some online classes. There is no homework and very few quizzes and papers. The majority of your grades as a business student come from big exams. As long as you stay on top of everything you should be good to go, especially with all the on and off campus resources like tutors and Study Edge.