University of Florida

« See more reviews of University of Florida

The worst thing about my school is its size. It's great that many people attend the University of Florida, because the college can provide more programs/activities to meet the different needs of students. However, with the school being so large, the "connection factor" can get lost. For example, many classes are offered online instead of having students go to class and interact with the professor face-to-face. Or, if you call an office for help, you're directed to the website for more information or have to listen to a recording instead of actually talking to someone.

The worst thing out UF is our cockiness. We know that we're the best school in Florida (and have been rated one of the top public universities in the nation), and we don't let other schools forget it, especially when it comes to sports. After winning national championship after national championship, we've probably come off as rude to other schools across the country. We at the University of Florida have always striven for excellence in everything we've done, and therefore just assume that we're better than our neighboring schools, in both academics and sports.

The University of Florida is currently dealing with some financial issues. This has a lot to do with the states Bright Futures program which funds a significant percentage of students? educations. While this is an amazing program, which I myself am a beneficiary of, it has for a long time caused the state to block attempts to raise tuition levels. In effect this has put a major strain on the school which some programs, particularly those where professors are not in part funded by research grants, are starting show through cutting of classes and faculty.

The University of Florida is a large public school that maintains faithful fans throughout the nation. On the outside, the school spirit is strong with a football team that's stronger, however attending the school has quit a different perspective. Due to the large student body population, students feel like a number in a 300+ class. In fact, my sociology class doesn't require a name but rather we are assigned 3 digit pin number provokes the feelings of being "just a number" as literally. The facilities are very old, and parking is non-existant.

What I consider the worst thing about my school to be its curriculum. I strongly believe that every course in UF is extremely difficult. First, you have to pick the major of your desire but then you also have to take courses on the side that are required to graduate. You would think that the additional courses would be easier because it isn't part of your major but the classes are just as hard. An additional physical science requirement is just hard or even harder than classes in my major. It makes it that much more stressful to graduate.

The worst thing I can think of about The University of Florida would be the amount of people unwilling to get seriously involved. There are so many different organizations at my school from Intramural sports and Charitties to Quidditch tournaments that our school hosts. People can get involved in anything they desire, yet so many people don't. In a big university like UF if you don't put yourself out there to get involved you will become nothing more than a number and the school will swallow you whole. Get involved and enjoy the rewards!

Student Government elections can get pretty crazy on campus. There are always heated campaigns with insults being thrown by each party. They can get so intense that during one election there were cases of vandalism on some buildings advocating for one party or the other. My fraternity house puts up a banner to show our support for one a specific party and last year some people came by and ripped it down. It would be nice, considering we're college kids, to participate in a more mature election process instead of acting like kids.

The worst thing about UF is the sense of being lost that almost every freshman gets. UF is a large school, and it is inevitable. But, the University works hard to provide many opportunities for you to get to know other students (clubs, dorm events), and everyone is very nice. The classes are also very difficult here, especially the basic classes like Calc 1 and Chem 1. They are trying to get you to fail and "weed" you out of the class. Just hang in there and make one day a week that you will put away distractions and study.

The worst thing about the University of Florida is its lack of out-of-state students. Although UF is very diverse, almost every student I have met attended a Florida school. This made it difficult to make new friends when first arriving at the University of Florida. Many students, including myself, continued to hang out with friends from high school. I believe that if I had attended an out-of-state or private school, I would have been exposed to a greater variety of students and more likely to break out of my shell.

Perhaps the worst part of my school was the academic advising team for my major. Since Biology/Chemistry is such a popular major, the academic advising in this department is responsible for a large array of students, which seemed to have caused them to be a bit more indifferent than I would've liked. The inability to accurately advise me on my academic situation, and the deliverance of incorrect information, caused me a lot of undue stress and headache when trying to complete the requirements for my major.